2013-2014 Wake Forest Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Required Essay Questions (Answer at least two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Forest School of Medicine
1. Wake Forest School of Medicine believes that the quality of an educational experience depends in part on the differences of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the students who comprise each class. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class? (400 words or less).

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?

3. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 14 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).
Optional Essay Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Forest School of Medicine
1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).

2. If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less).

3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

GL to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I managed to make it in this year and the piece of advice I'd give you is to make sure Wake Forest knows you love them! Wake is very receptive to letters of interest so make sure to send those updates!

I might look into showing some of the interviewees around the school as an MS1, so I hope to see some of you in Winston-Salem!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to mention all the nice things I think about them :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thinking about applying here. can anyone tell me what their grading system is? are they pass fail?

One of my friends played football here visited the school and fell in love! This would be my dream school! I love the school, area, can only hope to get an interview! Any OOS with me!

One of my friends played football here visited the school and fell in love! This would be my dream school! I love the school, area, can only hope to get an interview! Any OOS with me!
I'll be trying my luck as an OOS applicant. I'm very excited to apply here! :)

OOS non-trad with extremely strong ties to NC, lol. I would love to be back in NC!! Please show me some love Wake Forest!!!

A friend of mine played on the basketball team here! Winston-Salem is a nice place, hoping for the best!

thinking about applying here. can anyone tell me what their grading system is? are they pass fail?

EDIT: In case anyone is reading this, starting with the class of 2017, Wake is now Pass/Fail (>70 = pass), still has class rank, but you can choose whether or not to include class rank on your dean's letter for residency.

Rising M2 here. Wake is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail. This may change by the time you matriculate, but at the moment, honors is 94-100, HP= 90-93, P= 76-89. The average on exams has generally been between 84 and 90 (although we had a really hard microbiology exam where the average was in the low 80's).

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle! I managed to make it in this year and the piece of advice I'd give you is to make sure Wake Forest knows you love them! Wake is very receptive to letters of interest so make sure to send those updates!

I've seen this referred to before, but I'm not familiar with it. What is the etiquette regarding letters of intent? What specifically would you update?

Hey all I'm an OOS applicant 3.67 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA, 29S MCAT do I have a shot? good ECs

just got a link to check status. says it'll be 1-2 weeks to process, then I'm assuming they'll send a secondary if we pass the screen. I'm pretty sure there is one and it's fairly heavy.

just got a link to check status. says it'll be 1-2 weeks to process, then I'm assuming they'll send a secondary if we pass the screen. I'm pretty sure there is one and it's fairly heavy.
Just got that email as well. The MSAR says WF screens, but that they also have matriculates with numbers like 3.29cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, or 28 MCAT, so I'm guessing their screen can't be higher than maybe a 3.00 / 25? That's not too scary :) Fingers crossed anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got that email as well. The MSAR says WF screens, but that they also have matriculates with numbers like 3.29cGPA, 3.18 sGPA, or 28 MCAT, so I'm guessing their screen can't be higher than maybe a 3.00 / 25? That's not too scary :) Fingers crossed anyway!

WF confuses me. They have pretty friendly numbers for getting in as you noted, but they have a terribly low acceptance rate. Thoughts? Do their encouraging numbers attract masses of people with low stats or do they just really base things off of personality and not so much on high stats? Things to ponder.

WF confuses me. They have pretty friendly numbers for getting in as you noted, but they have a terribly low acceptance rate. Thoughts? Do their encouraging numbers attract masses of people with low stats or do they just really base things off of personality and not so much on high stats? Things to ponder.

Interview is extremely important at Wake, as is the ability to show a genuine interest in the school.

They don't want to accept people that don't really want to be here.

Alright kids, check your status - Mine has been updated to the following:

"Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 1-2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Didn't receive an email with the secondary or with a notification of status change, just obsessively checked the status page.

alright kids, check your status - mine has been updated to the following:

Didn't receive an email with the secondary or with a notification of status change, just obsessively checked the status page.

+1

Reactions: 1 user
Me too! Thanks for the heads up! Does anyone know if Wake Forest screens very thoroughly before sending secondaries, or if it's just a numbers cut-off?

Will we get an Email with instructions on how to check the status page?

Hmmm I didn't get the email notifying me they'd gotten my AMCAS download. Do you mind posting the link you guys are talking about?

Hmmm I didn't get the email notifying me they'd gotten my AMCAS download. Do you mind posting the link you guys are talking about?

You need two specialized codes to log in. I just got the email Friday, and I submitted my AMCAS the day it opened.

+3!
I wonder what their pre-secondary screen is like.

From what I remember the screen is pretty severe. I think out of around ~7400 applications last year, only a few thousand were sent secondaries.

Passed the screen! No email, checked the status and it said I made the cut and it'll come in one to two weeks. They said they send them in batches.

" Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application by e-mail.* Please allow 1-2 weeks for the application to be sent to you as we send them out in batches."

Didn't get one - which is odd. Admittedly surprised by this.

No - I guess they could be sending them out in waves. Not panicked yet, of course, but more like turning a raised eyebrow with a "Hm, really?"

No - I guess they could be sending them out in waves. Not panicked yet, of course, but more like turning a raised eyebrow with a "Hm, really?"

Well most people haven't received them yet (maybe nobody has yet.) We're just going based on our online statuses!

It says specifically they review and send them in batches. :)

Says my application is under review....ahhhh

None here, I never got an email about status either. Hmm, I figured I would get a secondary at least.

my status says I passed screening and am being sent a secondary soon. does anyone know how rigorous their screen is? does basically everyone get a secondary?

Dang, thought i was going to be the first to say check their status. Mine updated to being screened in as well with no e mail notice

I thought I remembered reading they screen pretty heavily as well (at least that's what I'd like to tell myself lol )

Relax, guys and gals. If you haven't received a secondary yet it doesn't mean they don't like you, just that they take the time to thoroughly read your application before screening. The people that have already heard back just happened to be at the top of the pile, nothing to worry about.

Also, I think someone asked a while back about the grading scheme here at Wake. For those who are curious, Wake uses the Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail.

Last edited:
Just got my secondary.

Required Essay Questions (Answer at least two)

Wake Forest School of Medicine said:
1. Wake Forest School of Medicine believes that the quality of an educational experience depends in part on the differences of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of the students who comprise each class. How will you contribute to the diversity of your medical school class? (400 words or less).

2. What obstacles or challenges have you experienced and how have you dealt with them (400 words or less)?

3. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) lists 14 entry-level core competencies for medical school applicants: Service Orientation, Social Skills, Cultural Competence, Teamwork, Oral Communication, Ethical Responsibility to Self and Others, Reliability and Dependability, Resilience and Adaptability, Capacity for Improvement, Critical Thinking, Scientific Inquiry, Written Communication, Living Systems, and Human Behavior. (See AAMC webpage for full definitions using hyperlink below).

Please pick ONE of the competencies and describe how your background and experiences highlights the competency and prepares you for medical school. Do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in the secondary application or in your AMCAS personal statement (400 words or less).

Optional Essay Questions

Wake Forest School of Medicine said:
1. If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation and your plans for the upcoming year (200 words or less).

2. If you are a re-applicant, please describe if you have made any significant changes or improvements from your previous application (200 words or less).

3. Describe any connection you have to Wake Forest School of Medicine, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, or North Carolina (200 words or less).

Just received a secondary. OOS, LizzyM ~78

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! For the answer at least two... are people gonna answer all three, or do they really just want us to answer two?