2013 AMCAS - Bad grades in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in previous apps, the AMCAS had a addendum/or additional comments section. Is there not one this year? (I tried looking a bit but couldn't find it)
My reason is that my cumulative GPA/science GPA is low (3.4, 3.3) due to a string of bad grades my first 4 quarters, and I definitely should address it in my application (right?).
My personal statement has a theme of service, so without an add. comments section, would i have to insert a sentence or two somewhere in there?

Nothing crazy happened, I just did not know how to properly study early in college, and as the classes became more difficult, my insufficient studying only let me get worse grades, not D's but 2 Cs and 3 C+s and a few B-s. My MCAT is fine (ask if you need to know it). I had a strong upward trend from there until I graduated last June.

What would you do in my situation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Mention it during the interview if they bring it up.

So in previous apps, the AMCAS had a addendum/or additional comments section. Is there not one this year? (I tried looking a bit but couldn't find it)
My reason is that my cumulative GPA/science GPA is low (3.4, 3.3) due to a string of bad grades my first 4 quarters, and I definitely should address it in my application (right?).
My personal statement has a theme of service, so without an add. comments section, would i have to insert a sentence or two somewhere in there?

Nothing crazy happened, I just did not know how to properly study early in college, and as the classes became more difficult, my insufficient studying only let me get worse grades, not D's but 2 Cs and 3 C+s and a few B-s. My MCAT is fine (ask if you need to know it). I had a strong upward trend from there until I graduated last June.

Thanks

I personally addressed it in my Personal statement but others have suggested utilizing the Secondary application which specifically gives you "comments sections" or extra space to discuss anything not present in your primary application. If you want to see how I transitioned my bad grade explanation into my PS shoot me a message I'd be glad to send it to you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Do not mention bad grades or your problems with studying in your PS or anywhere else in the application. Have the committee note your upward trend in your committee letter. Some schools send out secondaries that allow you to mention anything you like. That would be the more appropriate place if you feel you must mention it.

Do not mention bad grades or your problems with studying in your PS or anywhere else in the application. Have the committee note your upward trend in your committee letter. Some schools send out secondaries that allow you to mention anything you like. That would be the more appropriate place if you feel you must mention it.

If only UCLA had a pre-med committee...

My main concern with leaving it to secondaries is for the schools that screen our primaries, like all the UC's. Is that valid? Or when they screen, they will acknowledge the trend?

Totally disagree. In the PS statement of the AMCAS app, there's a hyperlink that tells you what you can/should talk about within your personal statement. Here are two of the things that the AAMC states you may want to include:

"Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits"

"Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application"

See the second point? When they're talking about including things not explained elsewhere in your application, that does not include secondaries, because you submit the AMCAS app before you get your secondaries. I would talk about it in the PS and then reference it again briefly in the secondaries, but without rehashing the entire thing. Since he's turned himself around grade-wise and improved his study skills, I see no reason not to mention it.

Last edited:
In my experience, the best place was in the comments sections of secondary apps. You could look at previous years prompts in the school specific threads to see if this strategy would work for the ones you are considering.