2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just saw that the Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium dropped out of Phase II as well if anyone applied there

Thank you! Maybe I am missing it but I don't see post-match stats, just the old clearing house stuff at the bottom

It took me a minute to find it, but click on Phase II for 2011 and/or 2012. Then scroll down and one of the charts says APA/CPA accredited sites. It will give you the stats for how many APA/CPA positions remained unfilled after Phase II. Basically, 0 in 2012 and 5 in 2011.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just saw that the Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium dropped out of Phase II as well if anyone applied there

What the crap is happening here? Why would sites even participate in Phase 2 if they even had an inkling that they wouldn't follow through with it? What a waste of my time!

It took me a minute to find it, but click on Phase II for 2011 and/or 2012. Then scroll down and one of the charts says APA/CPA accredited sites. It will give you the stats for how many APA/CPA positions remained unfilled after Phase II. Basically, 0 in 2012 and 5 in 2011.

Oh I see it! I was looking for the words "post-match vacancy" haha!

What the crap is happening here? Why would sites even participate in Phase 2 if they even had an inkling that they wouldn't follow through with it? What a waste of my time!

My honest take: sites don't like to participate in Phase 2 any more than applicants do. Similarly, sites (again like applicants) don't expect/hope not to get to Phase 2. Thus, some sites apparently decide that they'd rather "take their ball and go home" rather than continue actually playing along. So while they're forced to initially participate in Phase 2, it seems like a small handful eventually decide it's not what they want, and they either close the spot for the year, or somehow obtain permission from APPIC to withdraw. I guess it'd be akin to an applicant withdrawing before submitting rank lists, at least in some ways.

And why would you wait until a few days before ranking to notify people of this? What an utter waste of time, and to have no explanation as to why.

My honest take: sites don't like to participate in Phase 2 any more than applicants do. Similarly, sites (again like applicants) don't expect/hope not to get to Phase 2. Thus, some sites apparently decide that they'd rather "take their ball and go home" rather than continue actually playing along. So while they're forced to initially participate in Phase 2, it seems like a small handful eventually decide it's not what they want, and they either close the spot for the year, or somehow obtain permission from APPIC to withdraw. I guess it'd be akin to an applicant withdrawing before submitting rank lists, at least in some ways.

I agree that sites don't like this any more than applicants do. However, waiting until the very last minute to post that is ridiculous. And it is really not akin to an applicant withdrawing when you have about 1000 applicants vying for about 280 positions, of which only about 80 are APA-accredited. The sites definitely have the upper hand in that regard.

I gave in and emailed the TD of the Central CA Internship Consortium and he just replied and said that they're not interviewing any other applicants. So, if you haven't already heard from them, you can count them out. Sigh.

I gave in and emailed the TD of the Central CA Internship Consortium and he just replied and said that they're not interviewing any other applicants. So, if you haven't already heard from them, you can count them out. Sigh.

Just wanted to note that, technically, not interviewing other applicants doesn't automatically mean they are not ranking applicants they did not interview. I know it's grasping at straws, and I know it's a long shot, but I'm still going to rank them just in case.

Just wanted to note that, technically, not interviewing other applicants doesn't automatically mean they are not ranking applicants they did not interview. I know it's grasping at straws, and I know it's a long shot, but I'm still going to rank them just in case.

That's true, and of course ranking any or all the sites doesn't actually hurt anything for us, but I'm just glad to not be waiting on an answer any longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that sites don't like this any more than applicants do. However, waiting until the very last minute to post that is ridiculous. And it is really not akin to an applicant withdrawing when you have about 1000 applicants vying for about 280 positions, of which only about 80 are APA-accredited. The sites definitely have the upper hand in that regard.

No argument here; I think it's crappy all around, although I'd imagine there may be some sites that were forced to withdraw and that simply haven't had time to provide a decent rationale (what can I say, I give people the benefit of the doubt).

So, I know that there are a number of us who are still waiting for:
Indiana / Perdue University
New Mexico State University
Southern Illinois University

Should we assume that they will be withdrawing from Phase II or have ranked only non-SDN sites?
I sure would like to be able to stop checking my email every hour. :)

So, I know that there are a number of us who are still waiting for:
Indiana / Perdue University
New Mexico State University
Southern Illinois University

Should we assume that they will be withdrawing from Phase II or have ranked only non-SDN sites?
I sure would like to be able to stop checking my email every hour. :)
I interviewed with New Mexico State University earlier this week. I'm with you on waiting for Southern Illinois and Indiana/Purdue, but kind of assuming that if we haven't heard, we're not getting interviews at this point :( bummer.

Thanks for letting us know, and congrats on the interview!

Dear Match,

I don't appreciate the humor in giving me two interviews in Phase I and no match and then giving me only two interviews, again, in Phase II. I will forgive you for the feelings of shame and embarrassment that you have instigated by putting me in the exact same position, AGAIN, if you will let me match this time around. I have assisted you in your matching efforts on my behalf by submitting my ROL; and this time I solemnly swear to not change it constantly, annoying you as I re-certify each time.

Sincerely,

Wagwise

Dear Match,

I don't appreciate the humor in giving me two interviews in Phase I and no match and then giving me only two interviews, again, in Phase II. I will forgive you for the feelings of shame and embarrassment that you have instigated by putting me in the exact same position, AGAIN, if you will let me match this time around. I have assisted you in your matching efforts on my behalf by submitting my ROL; and this time I solemnly swear to not change it constantly, annoying you as I re-certify each time.

Sincerely,

Wagwise

Its so good to have a chuckle during this horrific time. I appreciate your humor.

This is the exact policy, as stated by APPIC:

So it sounds like if the site isn't going to fill the position at all, then they're allowed to withdraw it. Or if they have special permission from APPIC.

Regardless, between its withdrawing the internship spot, and the recent thread discussing its offering of unfunded postdoc positions, I'm quickly losing a lot of respect for UCSF. This seems to say a lot about the administration's view on the importance/respect (or lack thereof) they allot to psychology.

Agreed. That's pretty awful. Aren't they shutting down their 2-year internship/post-doc program?

these were my two top choices. sad to hear that it must have been a no from NorCal, mayb there is still a chance with coatesville.

avocadobunny, seems like we r both waiting on it, hopefully we find something out today!

For those of you who were with me and waiting to hear from the Coatesville VA, I emailed the TD yesterday and got a reply saying they have already completed their interviews. So if you havent heard from them you can take them off your list. bummer.

I emailed the TD of U of VT and heard back that "they will not be ranking" me.... She didn't indicate whether they did interviews or if not hearing was a no for everyone.

Hey all! Who is working on and/or stressing out about ROL??

I submitted mine today, having completed my interviews yesterday. I'm glad to say that I had a clear first and last, which made it all relatively easy...

Again, wishing luck to all!!

Ranking is so much less stressful when you only interviewed with 1 site...

Ba-zing!

I emailed Indiana University/Purdue University-Indianapolis, and they have completed their interviews.

Hey all! Who is working on and/or stressing out about ROL??

I submitted mine today, having completed my interviews yesterday. I'm glad to say that I had a clear first and last, which made it all relatively easy...

Again, wishing luck to all!!

Meh. Because sites have so few positions left, I feel like the rank order list doesn't really matter... if they ranked me #1 I'll match, if they didn't I won't.

I interviewed with them on Monday. The person I interviewed with said they were finishing with interviews today and ranking this afternoon.

Awe man. I really wanted that one. They seem like a good site. What was your impression of them?

Anyone interview at Mailman yet?
I interviewed with MailmanTuesday, it felt kind of rushed but I was also the last person they were interviewing that day apparently. Any idea how many people they interviewed, or how many applications they received?

I interviewed with MailmanTuesday, it felt kind of rushed but I was also the last person they were interviewing that day apparently. Any idea how many people they interviewed, or how many applications they received?

I'm not sure how many people they interviewed. It has to be hard for sites though. They have to cram all of their interviews into one week.

Hey there, just going back to read older posts while making my ranking decisions. Was that interview at the OGJVAMC?

Hey there, just going back to read older posts while making my ranking decisions. Was that interview at the OGJVAMC?

Not sure who you are talking to, but I interviewed at the OGJVAMC. I'd gladly talk to you about it if you PM me with any questions, but its probably pretty late in terms of rankings since our finalized lists are due by Mon.

Can't wait til this process is over!

Did anyone hear back from Woodhull Medical Center in NY?

I heard back from the training director on Thursday. They have extended all interviews and will not be ranking anyone who was not contacted for an interview. Bummer.

I heard back from the training director on Thursday. They have extended all interviews and will not be ranking anyone who was not contacted for an interview. Bummer.

Thanks for the info. That is quite interesting because when I spoke to the TD on Thursday I was informed that they did not do any interviews due to lack of resources so now I am thoroughly confused...

Thanks for the info. That is quite interesting because when I spoke to the TD on Thursday I was informed that they did not do any interviews due to lack of resources so now I am thoroughly confused...

This is what she wrote to me:

"We received an incredibly high number of applications for Phase II and were forced to make difficult decisions as we do not have the resources to interview all applicants. At this time you are not being considered for a position in our internship program.

Thank you again for your interest."

I have a friend who got an interview there, though it was less of an "interview" and more of a 10 minute "getting to know you" phone call. Hope that helps :) Good Luck!

Well here we go again with the excruciating week-long wait. I wish us all luck with keeping our minds occupied this week!

Well here we go again with the excruciating week-long wait. I wish us all luck with keeping our minds occupied this week!

Preach. I'm going away for a conference and poster presentation, and I don't think it could be better timing!

Yup... best of luck everyone. :).

It's easier this time around, since I already got through the grieving process and know how few spots remain. But I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised come Monday morning.

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know anything about the Manatee Glens Consortium in Florida? I receive an email this morning stating that they will be ranking me but were not able to offer any phone interviews due to not having enough time (the came on the late-breaking news a little over a week ago). Thank for your input! Good luck to everyone!

I received an email from Scott & White saying they were going to rank me. Have they told people they weren't ranking them?

I also received an email from Scott & White saying they were going to rank me.

Assuming you (general you) don't match in Phase II, what are you planning on doing next year? It is too late to apply for externships in my area, but I want to gain more experience so that I'm not in the same position again next year. Any thoughts?

I'm obviously planning on finishing my dissertation and hopefully having some more publications, but I feel I need to increase my number of face-to-face hours as well.

Assuming you (general you) don't match in Phase II, what are you planning on doing next year? It is too late to apply for externships in my area, but I want to gain more experience so that I'm not in the same position again next year. Any thoughts?

I'm obviously planning on finishing my dissertation and hopefully having some more publications, but I feel I need to increase my number of face-to-face hours as well.

I'm in a similar boat. I have spoken to my supervisor at one of my previous externships and he's willing to take me on for another externship if I do end up having to wait another year. You may want to consider doing something similar, or use whatever networking resources you have to see if a site might "create" an externship for you. If you're in the NYC area, I've heard there are several externships that still have open positions- not sure the specifics though.

This is my second year applying and I PRAY I match this coming monday.. However, I could not afford to take out loans for another year or work somewhere for free and without benefits (and all of my academic requirements are complete) so I found a full-time master-level clinician position. I know people do what works for various situations, but just another idea to consider.. good luck to all!