2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from:

UCSF Infant-Parent Program (12/18 deadline, but I saw they were a day late last year)
University of San Francisco
The Children's Institute (invitation to interview)

??

Pretty much ready to be done waiting and focus on my interviews already!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone still waiting on this site? I haven't heard a peep...

I still have not heard anything. I was thinking of emailing them tomorrow to inquire about my status. I know since interviews already went out, I can assume it is a rejection. Nevertheless, it would be nice to get an official notification considering I paid an application fee and the work that went into applying. BTW...what track did you apply? I applied to the health psych track.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will be letting us know whether or not we will still be considered. Unsure if it is the norm but at least they are kind enough so that way we aren't ranking them when there is no chance of placement.

Thanks, Zoe2014. It would be helpful to know for matching.

And yes, cannot wait for this to be over.

Congratulations!!! & Good Luck!!!
Would you mind telling me how they contacted you? Still waiting...

Sorry I didnt specify! It was an email, Specialized Foster Care Track (not sure if the other track has notified).

Children's Institute notification deadline is January 10th for those of you who are anxiously waiting. I am waiting too.

Has anyone heard from:

UCSF Infant-Parent Program (12/18 deadline, but I saw they were a day late last year)
University of San Francisco
The Children's Institute (invitation to interview)

??

Pretty much ready to be done waiting and focus on my interviews already!!!

USF's notification deadline isn't until Dec 21

It appeared to be a mass e-mail with my name and the date at the top.

And thanks! I only applied to a couple unaccredited sites but this one looked really nice :)

From the APPIC website:

"Internship programs may choose to inform applicants as to whether or not the applicants remain under consideration for admission (e.g., whether or not the applicants will be ranked) but may not communicate any other ranking information."

So, sites *can* (but don't have to) tell you if you're being ranked, but CANNOT give you any information about where on the ranking list you fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing no one has heard from Ancora? And the person who emailed them didn't get a response either? Anyone? Bueller?

Nope....still nothing from Ancora. I've pretty much counted them out. I cant afford to fly anywhere else to interview, anyway. $3,000 later.... and I still have 2 hotels to book and interview shoes to buy.....plus, I've already booked my flight to NYC for another interview and I'm not willing to fly to the tri-state area a second time. At this point....it's time to just focus my energy on the 6 interviews I have, try to impress them, and hope for the best.

From the APPIC website:

"Internship programs may choose to inform applicants as to whether or not the applicants remain under consideration for admission (e.g., whether or not the applicants will be ranked) but may not communicate any other ranking information."

So, sites *can* (but don't have to) tell you if you're being ranked, but CANNOT give you any information about where on the ranking list you fall.

Yea that is helpful information from the website. The site told me they would contact me via email to notify me weather I am still under consideration. I feel like this really speaks the the training philosophy and model with which they live by. Their ability to make this as smooth and user friendly lets me give them another level of respect. Really, to take the time when they don't need to is very upstanding and good follow-thru.

Nope....still nothing from Ancora. I've pretty much counted them out. I cant afford to fly anywhere else to interview, anyway. $3,000 later.... and I still have 2 hotels to book and interview shoes to buy.....plus, I've already booked my flight to NYC for another interview and I'm not willing to fly to the tri-state area a second time. At this point....it's time to just focus my energy on the 6 interviews I have, try to impress them, and hope for the best.

Yes, I booked all of my flights last thursday and it cost me with airfare/hotels/car rentals $2,000. Not a cheap process to go through and I am very thankful to the many who offer skype/phone for our convenience.

Just got an invite for in-person or Skype.

Well I guess I can probably count them out then. That stinks, it would have been very convenient for me since I live like 25 miles away! But I absolutely cannot complain.

Sent an email to the Director of Training -- will keep you posted.

Awesome thanks! I already booked my flight to Texas for Bexar and Harris County so if I do interview there I can hopefully squeeze them in between the other two

Yea I just went through an interview where I learned something new. Getting ranked by a site is not a guarantee. I thought it was even if you were 25th on the list.

Yes, I learned that yesterday, too!! It was quite a shock to my system, as I was not expecting any more rejections... (I haven't received that notification yet, but am not super optimistic in light of the way the interview went.) Takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it? I figured that if they interviewed me they would for sure rank me, even if it was unlikely that we'd match due to the number of folks ahead of me. Right there with you, Zoe2014...

Good morning, wise ones. Has anyone heard from Western Psychological & Counseling Services in Portland, OR? I received an interview invitation and responded via email promptly as requested, but now I haven't heard anything. What about you?? Thanks!!

Best,
HB

Yes, I learned that yesterday, too!! It was quite a shock to my system, as I was not expecting any more rejections... (I haven't received that notification, but in light of the way the interview went, I'm not super optimistic.) Takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it? I figured that if they interviewed me they would for sure rank me, even if it was unlikely that we'd match due to the number of folks ahead of me. Right there with you, Zoe2014...

I think that unless you really mess up the interview or misrepresented yourself in the APPIC materials then it's unlikely that they wouldn't rank you, especially if it's a site that only interviews 20-30% of applicants because sites don't want to be unmatched either. This is just my very uninformed opinion, however!

I'm not sure if any of you are still waiting on Howard, but I noticed they changed their notification date to 12/22.

I think that unless you really mess up the interview or misrepresented yourself in the APPIC materials then it's unlikely that they wouldn't rank you, especially if it's a site that only interviews 20-30% of applicants because sites don't want to be unmatched either. This is just my very uninformed opinion, however!

I would hope that is right. Some of these places I applied to are simply amazing and to have the chance to work with their staff would be a great opportunity.

Yeah I know but I heard from most of my sites early. Wishful thinking that I can have all my scheduling done by Christmas ;)

Anyone hear from Montana State? It's my last one to hear from...

Montana State's notification deadline isn't until 1/7. Sadly, we have a while yet to wait. Which is sad, because it's one of my favorite sites, and also I'd like some closure on the application process before moving into the interview phase. Ah, well. Best of luck to you as well!!

It's one of my favorite sites too, especially with the multicultural opportunity on the indian reservation. It's just so cold there! I wonder if they got many applications this year, every site seems to be getting more than ever :(

Has anyone gotten a rejection from them? I know they sent out invites yesterday...

I am growing more and more irritated with sites that can't be bothered to send out rejections by their listed notification dates. I just want to be able to cross them off my list and be done with this process so I can focus on my interviews, not to mention my dissertation which I have neglected for the past two months.

Has anyone gotten a rejection from them? I know they sent out invites yesterday...

I am growing more and more irritated with sites that can't be bothered to send out rejections by their listed notification dates. I just want to be able to cross them off my list and be done with this process so I can focus on my interviews, not to mention my dissertation which I have neglected for the past two months.

I haven't heard anything from them one way or the other. I saw that they had sent out invites for the child and CORE tracks. I hadn't heard anything about the MAD track though. Do you know if they sent out invitations for the MAD track? Thanks.

Generic email stating technical difficulties accessing applications and that the DOT will be calling applicants on 12/22 to inform them of the next step in the process.

I haven't heard anything from them one way or the other. I saw that they had sent out invites for the child and CORE tracks. I hadn't heard anything about the MAD track though. Do you know if they sent out invitations for the MAD track? Thanks.

I only applied to the CORE track and I haven't seen anything mentioned on here about the MAD track either way. This waiting business is getting on my nerves.

Has anyone received an invitation for the following?
- Friends Hospital
- Temple University- MAD track
- Franciscan Hospital for Children

I appreciate your time posting updates about notifications! Thanks and good luck!

I received a rejection from Friends Hospital on 12/14

My adult treatment inpatient friends, has anyone heard from Ancora today? :D

I haven't heard from Ancora yet. Their application submission deadline was extended until 11/26, so they likely didn't process everything yet

Has the Western NY VA followed up with anyone yet about setting up interviews? I heard from them on Friday indicating someone would be contacting me, but haven't heard anything yet.

Generic invitation from the UCSF Infant-Parent Program at 7:21 AM.
They ask that applicants interview 2 times with 2 different people, and if they are local on 2 different days.
Days offered were December 27, January 4, January 7 and January 11.

Will I see any of you there? :)

Don't know if any of you have applied there but tomorrow is their notification deadline. Perhaps they will let us know a day early? Just throwing it out there. Hope everyone's happily planning!

Hi Again: thank you to all those who responded toy last post. Much appreciated

I am writing because I am confused with non APA sites. Eventually I would like to work in a state psychiatric hospital, and possibly teach. Do I need an APA site? I know this question has been asked but I'm still confused. Can you tell me the implications?

Hi Again: thank you to all those who responded toy last post. Much appreciated

I am writing because I am confused with non APA sites. Eventually I would like to work in a state psychiatric hospital, and possibly teach. Do I need an APA site? I know this question has been asked but I'm still confused. Can you tell me the implications?

That is a great question. It might be a state by state issue. For example, working at a VA in the future, an APA Accredited internship is required. This could be because it is federally funded and not state funded.

That is a great question. It might be a state by state issue. For example, working at a VA in the future, an APA Accredited internship is required. This could be because it is federally funded and not state funded.

If you do an internship at a VA, you will be eligible to work at a VA in the future regarless of the accreditation of the site. If you do an unaccredited internship that is not at a VA, you will not be able to work within the veterans system, ever I believe. I wonder if this type of thing will change in the next few years given the internship "crisis"...

Anybody hear anything from Manhattan Psychiatric either way? I know their deadline isn't until tomorrow but just wondering..

Anyone hear from Montana State? It's my last one to hear from...

Like everybody else said, we probably won't hear until 1/7. I'm really hoping they let us do Skype interviews because last minute flights are EXPENSIVE. Hang in there!

Sorry I didnt specify! It was an email, Specialized Foster Care Track (not sure if the other track has notified).

Children's Institute notification deadline is January 10th for those of you who are anxiously waiting. I am waiting too.

Still waiting to hear from them....keeping my fingers crossed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

If you do an internship at a VA, you will be eligible to work at a VA in the future regarless of the accreditation of the site. If you do an unaccredited internship that is not at a VA, you will not be able to work within the veterans system, ever I believe. I wonder if this type of thing will change in the next few years given the internship "crisis"...

Look into it because it is of my understanding that regardless of setting, if it was an unaccredited location you would not be eligible for a VA in the future. If you get clarification, that would be amazing.

Look into it because it is of my understanding that regardless of setting, if it was an unaccredited location you would not be eligible for a VA in the future. If you get clarification, that would be amazing.

You can get a job at a VA if you did an internship at an unaccredited VA. It says it on the Philly VA's website and I've checked in with a chief of mental health services at a VA. He did say that they would still look down upon doing internship at a VA that is not accredited, so even VA's will hold it against you if you are trying to get a job there.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

You can get a job at a VA if you did an internship at an unaccredited VA. It says it on the Philly VA's website and I've checked in with a chief of mental health services at a VA. He did say that they would still look down upon doing internship at a VA that is not accredited, so even VA's will hold it against you if you are trying to get a job there.

http://www.psychologytraining.va.gov/eligibility.asp

Great information! Thanks for spending the time to respond.

Yeah I think it's a relatively new change for them. It doesn't even have to be an APPIC site as long as it's a VA... Check out the Orlando VA, Philly VA, etc. and it says this in their APPIC materials, although it's not suprising that some VA Chiefs may look down upon an unaccredited VA.

Just received rejections from them the last 2 days, don't know if anyone has posted it yet. Both were generic.

"the rejections keep coming!"

Hi anyone else wait listed at Citrus,

What are the chances of actually being invited for an interview?