2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Then, all things being equal they give a preference to someone who completes a VA practicum. (In my program, that's not an option for everyone).

I hear variations of this every year. I begin to think it's something people circulate to either reduce the number of applications for them to review or to reduce their personal competition.

VA practica are not an option for ANYONE in my program. Yet most of the folks here still match at VA sites for internship each and every year without fail. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

No Stooge, that was just me asking about it. Bit of OCD apparently. I know you were waiting on the MAD track, did you ever hear one way or another? Fingers crossed for you. I might end up emailing the TD later tonight if I still haven't heard anything since Christmas is upon us and we likely won't be hearing anything after this week :(

Hey! Who are you calling a stooge? Ha, I love this name. Anyways, I still haven't heard anything one way or the other. I'm probably just going to wait it out. They either don't know right now or it's a rejection. Let me know what the TD says if you decide to contact him and you hear back. Good luck!

Last edited:
Does anyone have an opinion about apa on probation sites? Can we still say we went to an Apa internship site or do we have to mention the stipulation? Furthermore, is it possible to not become reaccredited after their site visit in the spring 2013? Also, will it impact state psychiatric employment and such in the future? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if any of you are still waiting on Howard, but I noticed they changed their notification date to 12/22.

I am. Has anyone heard anything yet either way? I'd like to finalize my travel plans!

I had given up after 22 rejections, but landed 2 interviews in the final days..don't give up for those of you still waiting!!

So glad to hear that! No one should have to go through this process as many times as you have, especially without getting interviews. Good luck, you're gonna nail them!

I hear variations of this every year. I begin to think it's something people circulate to either reduce the number of applications for them to review or to reduce their personal competition.

VA practica are not an option for ANYONE in my program. Yet most of the folks here still match at VA sites for internship each and every year without fail. :thumbup:

Same with my program. We simply don't have a practicum at a VA. However, most people's internships are at VAs. They do all say that they're often the only ones at their internship without previous VA experience (and I've noticed at the couple of interviews I've been on so far that most people have VA experience) BUT I'm not sure if that is due to VA preference or simply because VA practica are common at PhD/PsyD programs, so many people applying for internship would have VA experience. Can anyone speak to that? Are VA practica fairly common for people wanting to do adult track clinical work?

It's very frustrating and scary, because I KNOW I want to work at a VA for a career, but I feel like I'm coming from a disadvantage without having experience going in.

I had given up after 22 rejections, but landed 2 interviews in the final days..don't give up for those of you still waiting!!

I'm very happy for you! Now you need to do your homework about those sites, practice interviewing with professors and coworkers... Sell yourself as the best intern they can ever get, tell them everything you have to offer and what you would like to learn from them....remember, to say why they are a good fit and how your experience is a good fit...Best of luck! :thumbup:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on flying with a suit (and obviously attempting to keep my suit mostly wrinkle free). I've never had to fly with dress clothes before!! Thanks in advance

Hello: I never really rec'd a response about implications going for a non APA internship site. I want to know what are the implications, if eventually I want to work in a Psychiatric State Hospital or teach.

Most responses were speaking on the VA. I understand that part of it Please weigh in!!

It really depends on your state and where you want to work. For instance, in CA you'll be just fine if you go to a non-accredited site (I.e. APPIC or CAPIC)... As far as you get 3,000 hours of supervised training (pre and post dc) you'll get your license. Some competitive positions like the VA and some Kaisers required APA accreditations...I DK about state hospitals, but since it's the state, they should be okay with a non-APA.

Anyways, I hope this helps.

Still waiting in manhattan psych center. Today is their deadline. Has anyone heard either way?

Has anyone heard anything from the MAD track from Temple Consortium? I know someone mentioned CORE and possibly the child anxiety one. Just getting a little restless before Christmas!

Same with my program. We simply don't have a practicum at a VA. However, most people's internships are at VAs. They do all say that they're often the only ones at their internship without previous VA experience (and I've noticed at the couple of interviews I've been on so far that most people have VA experience) BUT I'm not sure if that is due to VA preference or simply because VA practica are common at PhD/PsyD programs, so many people applying for internship would have VA experience. Can anyone speak to that? Are VA practica fairly common for people wanting to do adult track clinical work?

It's very frustrating and scary, because I KNOW I want to work at a VA for a career, but I feel like I'm coming from a disadvantage without having experience going in.

I did a VA internship and had VA experience prior in graduate school. However, that was not really a factor in my internship's evaluation of applicants. Assessment experience was, as well as working with a variety of diagnoses and adult age groups. Prior experience with a military pop (not necessarily VA) didn't hurt though. But, I really think that the "prior VA experience" thing is way oversold on here.

I would not be too quick to jump on the VA career bandwagon yet, when you haven't actually worked in one. I too thought that would be the place for me but, no...not sure I could be happy dealing with all their contradictions in the long term. Well, that and the fact that I simply had little to no desire to see patients 5 days per week. :laugh:

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on flying with a suit (and obviously attempting to keep my suit mostly wrinkle free). I've never had to fly with dress clothes before!! Thanks in advance

Cheap suit bag (MW usually has some) or wear the suit on the plane. It may end up a lot less wrinkled than trying to pack it or jam it in a bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received confirmation on interview dates for Lincoln Hills in Wisconsin? I am assuming the weather may be a cause for a delay

Phone call invite for my "second round" Columbia University Medical Center (Adult track) interview - first one was back in mid-November. Didn't get their message until late today so I'm not sure when they're scheduling for.

Capped out at 11 interviews, y'all. Too bad I had to schedule one by phone due to scheduling conflicts. Rejected from Mississippi State Hospital today.

Good luck to you all, may you all match at your preffered sites, and happy holidays! Thank you for all of your kind support.

Last edited:
Last school update, Cleveland State University did a personal phone call invitation. I have 13 interviews and 5 rejections as my grand total. I have completed 2 interviews and 11 more to go :). Lets hope I get placed with these odds!

Also, does anyone know how early we should start sending "thank-you" letters?

I advise not doing that unless you like creating work for USPS...

I advise not doing that unless you like creating work for USPS...

Is there are reason we shouldn't be sending thank you letters? It's a pretty standard thing to do after any sort of job interview.

Also, a friend of mine on internship this year said that you can only rank 10 sites on the match website. Does anyone know if this is true? I had never heard of a match cap before she mentioned it.

I have flown with bridesmaids dresses a lot. I always ask them if they have a place to hang it. They usually hang it in first class while I wander back to my seat at the back of the plane. :) Never had a problem.

Just want to say congratulations to all of you who got interviews, and good luck on your interviews! May you all match to your most preferred sites!

For those of you who didn't get interviews this round, hang in there and good luck for phase II :)

Thank you, and I second this :)

With regard to thank you letters, you should be sending them. I have never not sent one after an interview.

Also, I am still waiting on Assessment and Treatment Alternatives in Philly and their deadline was 12/17...has anyone heard anything about this site??

Anyone heard from CII following up on the first invite email?

Trenton rejection in an attachment

Sent from my EVO using SDN Mobile

Ditto...and the world did not come to an end :D
Time to move on to interviews :rolleyes:
All the best to everyone for their interviews. I second what has already been said - for those who did not get an interview, all the best for Phase II.
Hope APA fixes this crazy broken system in 2013.

Trenton rejection in an attachment

I haven't heard from Trenton either way (one of 2 that I'm waiting on)... I thought that was bad news, but now I'm not sure since a round of rejections went out this morning? Anyone else still not hear either way?

Has anyone NOT heard from Henry Ford Peds Neuro?? I even emailed the TD regarding my status but never got a response...

I have flown with bridesmaids dresses a lot. I always ask them if they have a place to hang it. They usually hang it in first class while I wander back to my seat at the back of the plane. :) Never had a problem.

Just don't forget to pick it up on your way off the plane, I definitely left a bridesmaid dress on a plane once! :oops:

I ended up packing my suit, lightly folded, within in a shopping bag in my carry-on bag. It unfolded fine and I just ironed it lightly when I arrived (I suppose that's not always possible), and then I didn't have to worry about carrying it separately.

Sorry I haven't heard from the sites you are all still waiting on.

Has anyone heard from UC Davis Counseling Center?

How about McGuire VA's Primary Care Track?

Thank you and good luck Everyone!

I haven't heard from Trenton either way (one of 2 that I'm waiting on)... I thought that was bad news, but now I'm not sure since a round of rejections went out this morning? Anyone else still not hear either way?

I'm in that situation with another site.. I'm kind of in "over it" mode and ready to start getting ready to cook Christmas goodies :) Anyhow.. good luck to everyone!

DocMom-
I heard from McGuire re: primary care track. It looked like to me that they were announcing it to everyone that got an invite and that you'll just also interview for that track when you come interview for the other spots. Since turning in a seperate cover letter, I havent heard anything from them.

I'm still waiting to hear from Harlingen (TX) VA. Anyone heard there at all?

Finally rounded out my list with an invite from Cal State Fullerton. I could not be any happier that this part of the process is over. Good luck to everyone on interviews, and to those hoping for better outcomes in Phase II. We can do this!

General rejections from CSUF and USF. I haven't heard from CAPS UC Davis, but I know their notification date is today.

Two more to hear from. I can't wait for the waiting part to be over!

:)

I am scheduled for an interview at Geisenger on January 2nd. I am having trouble finding transportation to the interview on that date, and would love to switch the interview to January 21 or 25. Unfortunately, there are no free spots on either of those days. Is anyone willing to switch with me or to switch out of those days (I think there are open spots on the 11th and 16th).

Thanks!! :xf:

Thanks for all the tips for traveling with a suit!

http://www.onebag.com/

I know a couple other people have weighed in on this, but I haven't seen this mentioned yet; use the bundle wrapping method. When I first read about this (I think on lifehacker) it changed the way I travel. I ONLY do this now, and have traveled many times to conferences and interviews with dress clothes that come out unwrinkled. I find it works best to have them dry cleaned before packing, and you do want to try to unpack them as soon as you arrive in your hotel (the old hang your clothes in the bathroom while you shower trick works well to get out in niggly wrinkles)

I'm still waiting on Howard Counseling Center and UC Davis Counseling Center. They're really stretching this one out to the last minute...

DocMom-
I heard from McGuire re: primary care track. It looked like to me that they were announcing it to everyone that got an invite and that you'll just also interview for that track when you come interview for the other spots. Since turning in a seperate cover letter, I havent heard anything from them.

I'm still waiting to hear from Harlingen (TX) VA. Anyone heard there at all?

Thank you for the reply bmedclinic. I emailed the TD at McGuire on Monday to ask about the timeline for Primary Care Track decisions. I have not heard back either way so my guess is that they are no longer setting up interviews. Seems a little late given that interviews begin the first week in Jan.
Thanks again!

Thank you for the reply bmedclinic. I emailed the TD at McGuire on Monday to ask about the timeline for Primary Care Track decisions. I have not heard back either way so my guess is that they are no longer setting up interviews. Seems a little late given that interviews begin the first week in Jan.
Thanks again!

Yea but some places are doing later interviews. Duke has still yet to set up interview dates for their applicants.

This may have had utility before this was a match system... when backroom dealings, connections, and nepotism helped significantly in this process. Its not like that anymore. It will not get you ranked higher and it will not put you on a rank list if you weren't on it before. I do not like to go through more mail than is necessary. You can thank me at your interview and that will suffice for me.

On the other hand, if you are simply a super nice person, then feel free. :D

Last edited:
I seem to recall last year's thread indicating that there were some sites/TD's specifically instructing interviewees not to send them anything afterward. So you may want to be careful that there's nothing that states "don't send us anything; we don't want it; and we may frown on receiving it after indicating on our site, our materials, or in person that we didn't want it."

This may have had utility before this was a match system... when backroom dealings, connections, and nepotism helped significantly in this process. Its not like that anymore. It will not get you ranked higher and it will not put you on a rank list if you weren't on it before. I do not like to go through more mail than is necessary. You can thank me at your interview and that will suffice for me.

On the other hand, if you are simply a super nice person, then feel free. :D

I dug up an old email thread that our DCT forwarded to us from CUDCP. One of the APPIC board members is quoted as saying "thank you notes are absolutely not necessary and not encouraged. Students should spend their precious time and money on other things, and notes will have no effect whatsoever on their Match success." Other listserv members chimed in to agree that, in their experience, thank you notes have no bearing on the process unless there is something weird or inappropriate about them, in which case they can hurt your chances.

My takeaway message: If you are just the kind of person who likes to send thank you notes, go for it. If you feel like the decision not to send notes will affect your match, don't worry about it.

When I was interviewing, I did send email thank yous to a couple of faculty. One of them was the TD, and it was clear that she was really invested in the interview process and had put a ton of time and thought into the interview day, so I wanted her to feel like her hard work had been noticed. She wrote back right away and seemed pleased, so I was glad that I sent it. A few others were sent because I started to worry that I might not match if I didn't send them. Some of them got a reply, others didn't. FWIW, I did not send a thank you to my current internship site, which was also my top choice, so it didn't stop me from matching here!

Anyone heard anything from the University of Kentucky CC yet?

Anybody hear anything from Manhattan Psychiatric either way? I know their deadline isn't until tomorrow but just wondering..

I am also still waiting to hear back from Manhattan Psych and Temple University- MAD track...Has anyone heard from them??

Hope everyone has a chance to get some rest in this weekend! Happy Holidays :yawn: