2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think only maybe two or three of the sites to which I applied a couple years back notified me at any point.

Last year I didn't have any notifications either way. This year I got an email from one site saying that they enjoyed our interview and that they wanted to make sure I had their match number. What that really means...idk.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year I didn't have any notifications either way. This year I got an email from one site saying that they enjoyed our interview and that they wanted to make sure I had their match number. What that really means...idk.

Yep...I've just got to decide if I would be happy matching at a site that I didn't get to see in person.

Anybody considering not ranking a site?? I'm considering it and I really never expected I'd be doing so...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody considering not ranking a site?? I'm considering it and I really never expected I'd be doing so...

I am not ranking one of the sites at which I interviewed, although, like you, I didn't expect that I'd be doing so. The interns seemed very unhappy and uncomfortable, and the entire interview day seemed more geared towards their expectations for work productivity than actually training interns. I can honestly say I'd rather not match than end up there, so it wasn't a hard decision for me to choose not to rank it.

Last edited:
Hi all, is it really true that it will not hurt me in the match if I rank a site #1 that I am not sure I really have a chance at matching with? For various reasons, I don't anticipate being in their top, but it really is the site that I interviewed with that most matches my training goals. Just want to be sure I'm not screwing myself, and that the algorithm will really just jump it if I'm not in their top. Thanks!!!

Hi all, is it really true that it will not hurt me in the match if I rank a site #1 that I am not sure I really have a chance at matching with? For various reasons, I don't anticipate being in their top, but it really is the site that I interviewed with that most matches my training goals. Just want to be sure I'm not screwing myself, and that the algorithm will really just jump it if I'm not in their top. Thanks!!!

:beat:

Sorry for the snark, I've just never had the chance to use that icon before. No it won't hurt you. There are a handful of posts on this thread (including some excellent ones by AcronymAllergy) explaining why.

:beat:

Sorry for the snark, I've just never had the chance to use that icon before. No it won't hurt you. There are a handful of posts on this thread (including some excellent ones by AcronymAllergy) explaining why.

Thank you, and I'm sorry for being repetitive, the anxiety made me do it! :scared:

Only a few hours on the east coast until the portal is closed and the calculating begins! 17 days until we get our results!

How is everyone doing?!

Wishing everyone well/good luck!

Im starting to wonder if I should have ranked all the places where i didn't even get an interview--just in case.........

Im starting to wonder if I should have ranked all the places where i didn't even get an interview--just in case.........

I had several rejections where I was explicitly told, don't rank us, we're not ranking you. One site told me I was an alternate and that they couldn't extend an invitation to interview but I would be ranked. That one I ranked.

Ok guys, I need some super fast help. People keep asking me if I have submitted my rankings and I hear people second guessing themselves, and now I am worried that I have misunderstood the submission process. My understanding is that you "certify" your list. If it is certified, then you are done. If you want to change, you can change but you MUST uncertify, then recertify your list. However, at 11:59 eastern time it goes live. Am I missing something? Just want to make sure since I still have time...:scared:

Ok guys, I need some super fast help. People keep asking me if I have submitted my rankings and I hear people second guessing themselves, and now I am worried that I have misunderstood the submission process. My understanding is that you "certify" your list. If it is certified, then you are done. If you want to change, you can change but you MUST uncertify, then recertify your list. However, at 11:59 eastern time it goes live. Am I missing something? Just want to make sure since I still have time...:scared:

This is correct. As long as you have certified your ROL, you are fine. Now you can breathe... until the 22nd. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not ranking one of the sites at which I interviewed, although, like you, I didn't expect that I'd be doing so. The interns seemed very unhappy and uncomfortable, and the entire interview day seemed more geared towards their expectations for work productivity than actually training interns. I can honestly say I'd rather not match than end up there, so it wasn't a hard decision for me to choose not to rank it.

I did not rank one of my sites because it was clear to me that I wouldn't be happy there. I also had 8 other sites to rank, so I felt comfortable taking my chances. Had I not gotten as many interviews, maybe I would have felt differently, but then again it really wasn't a good fit for me and I think I would have been pretty unhappy there.

Thanks! Seriously...if I think today is anxiety-provoking, what will the night before be like?

Tell me about it... I have re-certified my rankings (4-5 times the last two days)... They keep changing, and I keep second guessing my rankings... 11:59 pm cannot come soon enough...

I can so relate! My top three choices have switched ranking spots several times now! I'm trying to see this as a good problem to have since I like so many that I can't seem to pick :) Good luck all! It's all out of our hands in a few hours!!

I can so relate! My top three choices have switched ranking spots several times now! I'm trying to see this as a good problem to have since I like so many that I can't seem to pick :) Good luck all! It's all out of our hands in a few hours!!

Same here. I have resorted to flipping coins, drawing names out of a bowl and demanding that people tell me what city they prefer. :laugh:

+1 as well. So tough to do the math that factors in emotions with career and family and arghhshe52iopjbgkpsjkjoi[j!!!!

Geez, I haven't been on this site in so long... But just wanted to log-on and send good vibes to everyone as we move past this rank submission deadline!

Hmmm... How to pass the time until the 22nd?? Work on dissertation? Nah! Netflix & Redbox sounds much better!

:corny:

Same here. I have resorted to flipping coins, drawing names out of a bowl and demanding that people tell me what city they prefer. :laugh:

Yep I have been switching my top three choices ... back and forth ....

We are live! Good luck to everyone. I kept switching numbers 3, 4, and 5 around for some reason. My children got involved and it was just crazy. They were ranking based on zoos.

Thankfully, no more opportunities to make changes. I don't know why I keep doing it. Last year I didn't match, so all the changes and agonizing over where to rank sites last year were for naught. I'm hopeful this year though. I just wish we find out sooner than in 2 weeks. My stress level will only be increasing as each day goes by...

I too am excited/ anxious but now I'm starting to feel like I need to prepare myself for the worst so that I'm not in total shock if it comes to that. Not sure how I'll accomplish this yet though...I honestly cannot imagine having gone through all of this for a negative turn out. Those of you who found the strength to do this a second or third time are just amazing!! So I'll try to stay positive but realistic too...

I too am excited/ anxious but now I'm starting to feel like I need to prepare myself for the worst so that I'm not in total shock if it comes to that. Not sure how I'll accomplish this yet though...I honestly cannot imagine having gone through all of this for a negative turn out. Those of you who found the strength to do this a second or third time are just amazing!! So I'll try to stay positive but realistic too...

Positive but realistic is my game plan as well. The anxiety level is pretty high right, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it's out of my hands now. Nothing more that I can do but sit back and enjoy the roller coaster ride.

We are live! Good luck to everyone. I kept switching numbers 3, 4, and 5 around for some reason. My children got involved and it was just crazy. They were ranking based on zoos.

I think more people should base their rankings on the quality of the local zoos ;) :thumbup:
:naughty: :troll:

Good luck to everyone! Sending out positive thoughts to all (and I hope that everyone has good distractions until we get the results)!

P.S. What time do people get results usually? I have a memory that I read between 8 and 10 am EST, but I cannot find that anywhere!

Good luck to everyone! Sending out positive thoughts to all (and I hope that everyone has good distractions until we get the results)!

P.S. What time do people get results usually? I have a memory that I read between 8 and 10 am EST, but I cannot find that anywhere!

According to last years thread....about 8:30 ish EST

Geez, I haven't been on this site in so long... But just wanted to log-on and send good vibes to everyone as we move past this rank submission deadline!

Hmmm... How to pass the time until the 22nd?? Work on dissertation? Nah! Netflix & Redbox sounds much better!

:corny:

My exact sentiment! Law & Order SVU and House of Cards are excellent distractions :banana:

According to last years thread....about 8:30 ish EST

Yep, two years ago I got my results right around what would've been 8:30 EST (and then received a call from the site by about 11 EST), and I believe the year prior to my cycle was the same, so that time seems to hold fairly steady.

Any folks put Texas Tech, Virginia Commonwealth, or Texas Women's University in their top 3?

Two weeks from today can't come soon enough. I'm supposed to be working on my dissertation but I just can't seem to focus. Everyone in my cohort is walking around here like nervous little mice. Even those that had 9 or 10 interviews are nervous. We all know that last year a guy with 12 interviews didn't match. So I sit and wait, optimistic but realistic. Hurry up and get to the 22nd already !

Two weeks from today can't come soon enough. I'm supposed to be working on my dissertation but I just can't seem to focus. Everyone in my cohort is walking around here like nervous little mice. Even those that had 9 or 10 interviews are nervous. We all know that last year a guy with 12 interviews didn't match. So I sit and wait, optimistic but realistic. Hurry up and get to the 22nd already !

Anybody know why it takes over two friggin weeks to get match results. I mean with modern computer technology processing the Match through the algorithm should be much much much faster. Yes I am nervous too.

Anybody know why it takes over two friggin weeks to get match results. I mean with modern computer technology processing the Match through the algorithm should be much much much faster. Yes I am nervous too.

What I read was that the main reason is that some TDs have complex requirements (e.g. 1 match within the same spot instead of having a different track needs to be bilingual, rehab, etc) so they submit their requirements for specific positions via paper, and this requires someone to check this stuff by hand. Basically its that + algorithm running + people checking it to try to prevent mistakes, etc.

they also need to set up the notification system and test it and quality check it over and over to make sure not only is the correct match made, but that it's being sent to all the correct parties.

How exactly are we supposed to get ourselves to open the match notification email?! Anybody know if it'll tell us the news directly in the email or will there be a link we need to click on to get the news? I'm not sure how to attack this yet! :) well besides with a very early morning margarita!

How exactly are we supposed to get ourselves to open the match notification email?! Anybody know if it'll tell us the news directly in the email or will there be a link we need to click on to get the news? I'm not sure how to attack this yet! :) well besides with a very early morning margarita!

If this year is the same as last year, your information will be right in the email. The subject line on the email was "Applicant XXXXX: APPIC Match Result". The actual email then said Congratulations! You have been matched to: (name of the site). Quick and dirty!

If this year is the same as last year, your information will be right in the email. The subject line on the email was "Applicant XXXXX: APPIC Match Result". The actual email then said Congratulations! You have been matched to: (name of the site). Quick and dirty!

Thank you! I've been wondering the same thing!

Thanks! This I can handle! I think I have PTSD from some of the interview notifications where I had to search through the email for the congrats or regrets!

I found it interesting (and a bit relieving) to read that they actually call applicants who didn't rank (perhaps accidentally) AND didn't formally withdraw. This is a nice safety net for those who fear their rankings didn't "go through" or something. I imagine the process of actually calling folks (and waiting on them to call back) would take some time. :poke:

The gossipy news from my dept head that was most difficult to hold was that they likely have already run the program (and know exactly where we are or aren't going)! I believe this is why the guys running this whole operation are hiding in Canada somewhere. lol. They don't want us knocking on their door politely asking for our personal results! :whoa:

Last edited:

This was the email Greg Keilin sent out over the listserv the day after the rankings closed - in case you are not on the listserv:

Subject: The Waiting Game

Now that the frenzy of applying, interviewing, and ranking is over, applicants and programs face one of the most challenging parts of this process: Waiting for the Match results.

We very much understand that waiting can be extremely stressful, and APPIC and NMS have done everything possible to minimize the amount of time that applicants and programs must wait for their results.

One of the most frequently asked questions that APPIC receives at this point is, "Why do we have to wait two weeks to get our results?". This e-mail provides details about what happens during this time.

Basically, NMS is extremely busy throughout this period, providing extensive checking and re-checking of the data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the Match results. For example:

1. NMS works very hard to ensure that no one "falls through the cracks" in the process. They do their best to see that each of the more than 4,000 applicants and 700 internship sites have submitted either a Rank Order List or a formal withdrawal from the Match. They attempt to contact Training Directors and applicants from whom they are expecting a response, but who have not submitted either a Rank Order List or a withdrawal.

2. There are a significant number of sites with very complex requirements that must submit their Rank Order Lists to NMS on paper. Each of these paper submissions must be reviewed and analyzed to ensure they have been prepared correctly, then entered and carefully proof-read (twice) by NMS staff. Each year, NMS contacts a significant number of Training Directors to ensure that their Rank Order Lists accurately reflect their preferences.

3. Once all rankings have been successfully entered and proofed, NMS performs a number of integrity checks on this data. These checks allow them to identify potential inconsistencies in rankings between lists submitted by applicants and those submitted by programs (e.g., applicants ranking the wrong program at a site, programs ranking the wrong applicant). They are able to catch some (but not all) errors made by sites and applicants, and it does take a significant amount of time to reach these participants to follow-up, verify, and correct these mistakes. Training Directors and applicants are generally busy and can be very difficult to reach (if you receive a call or e-mail from NMS in the coming days, PLEASE RESPOND IMMEDIATELY).

4. Once the Match has been run, another set of integrity checks are conducted by the NMS staff to ensure that the Match has been processed correctly, and that every applicant and every training program has received the best possible match.

5. Then, the results must be prepared for distribution via the various methods available (e-mail, web, and fax).

6. An additional set of tasks are the preparations that must be made for Phase II of the Match. These tasks include generating a master list of unfilled positions and providing information to the AAPI Online Service that will allow unmatched applicants and Training Directors at programs with unfilled positions to participate in Phase II (which begins immediately after the release of the Phase I results).

This is only a partial list of NMS' activities during this period. And, they are able to do all of this in an amount of time that is equal to or less than that of other matching programs of comparable (or even smaller) size in other professions.

This is the 15th year that NMS has conducted the APPIC Match, and we continue to rely upon their thoroughness, attention to detail, and commitment to accuracy. While the next few weeks may require what seems like an extraordinary amount of patience, we hope that you can appreciate the importance of allowing NMS the time to get the job done accurately.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for posting that PsyDHokie! Been counting down the days and feeling very anxious. Probably would have been a good idea to subscribe to that listserv, would have answered many of my questions. :thumbup:

Hey, everyone! I was wondering about interview experiences for round II. Do any of you happen to know what a structured learning activity looks like in a group interview? It sounds borderline terrifying!

Hey, everyone! I was wondering about interview experiences for round II. Do any of you happen to know what a structured learning activity looks like in a group interview? It sounds borderline terrifying!

This might not be what you're getting at, but as far as I know, APPIC stipulates that sites can't require in-person interviews for phase II. Thus, based on what I saw in this thread a couple years back when I applied, the majority of the interviews occurred over the phone.

I went through Phase 2 last year and all my interviews were over the phone ranging from about 40 to 60 minutes. The only site I interviewed with that required a in person interview was a BOP site - but since I had interviewed with the BOP during phase 1, I was not required to go in person. The difficult part of phase 2 is putting together the cover letters for a range of sites in a very timely manner. Overall, the process happens so quickly that requiring onsite interviews would be difficult in most cases (unless you're lucky to have a site with an open spot nearby). I'm not sure what you mean by a structured learning activity in a group interview....I know that most of my interviews were with myself and at least 2 to 5 psychologists and interns representing the site. Over the phone it can be difficult to figure out who is whom when they ask their questions.