2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What specifically are you looking for in regards to feedback about BOP or state hospital interviews? I have not interviewed at state hospitals yet as those are toward the end of my interviews, but from my BOP interviews it seems as though their goal first is general training - just in a correctional environment. There are opportunities within specific rotations for specific training in forensics or other interest areas depending on the site in particular (I myself am looking for experience in corrections and addiction). One of the benefits of the BOP is that if you plan on staying with them after internship many of the sites will help you get in touch with BOP sites with open staff psychologist positions (although this is not guaranteed).

Members don't see this ad.

I heard opposite info. I heard that it is based on the applicant rankings. If a site doesn't rank you but all of their applicants they ranked went elsewhere and you ranked them, you could end up there according to a td. Odds seem like that wouldn't happen but seems to correspond with the match algorithm.

I heard opposite info. I heard that it is based on the applicant rankings. If a site doesn't rank you but all of their applicants they ranked went elsewhere and you ranked them, you could end up there according to a td. Odds seem like that wouldn't happen but seems to correspond with the match algorithm.

I believe that you can only match to a site if they rank you. Am I incorrect about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
You cannot match to a site that doesn't rank you. You also cannot match to a site that you haven't ranked.

Good luck and stay safe to everyone trying to get to interviews while braving Ice Storm Iago!

How is everyone feeling about creating their rank order lists? Is anyone starting to look forward to match day just to get things over with?

Is anyone starting to look forward to match day just to get things over with?

Starting??? I've been looking forward to match day for... oh, let's say four and a half years now. :). I can't wait to have a modicum of stability in my life!!

Starting??? I've been looking forward to match day for... oh, let's say four and a half years now. :). I can't wait to have a modicum of stability in my life!!

...well, I've been feeling a mix of anxiety and dread, so looking forward to it is a new thing for me :p Though I'll admit that back in the naive days early in my program, I also looked forward to it.

So, it looks like we find out exactly where we'll be if we match on Feb. 22. I thought there was something stating that you would find out if you match, but then have to wait the weekend to find out exactly where you match. Was it like this in the past? The match news and email pdf about how to rank specifically states that you will know where you match at the same time you find out if you match (Feb. 22).

Anybody still waiting to hear from a site about interview status? I am waiting for Conemaugh.

How is everyone feeling about creating their rank order lists? Is anyone starting to look forward to match day just to get things over with?

I'm really looking forward to it, although for me it's going to be a short and easy list ! I had two interviews (one was a consortium with four program codes). I also had one "strong alternate, we'd like you to rank us". So I'll rank the consortium 1 - 4, my other interview will be ranked 5 and my strong alternate will be ranked 6th. Doesn't get much easier. I do just want match day over with so I can move on. I'll go through phase 2 if I have to, and not really looking forward to that either.

So, it looks like we find out exactly where we'll be if we match on Feb. 22. I thought there was something stating that you would find out if you match, but then have to wait the weekend to find out exactly where you match. Was it like this in the past? The match news and email pdf about how to rank specifically states that you will know where you match at the same time you find out if you match (Feb. 22).

Yes, you find out if and where you match on the 22nd. You're right that the system used to be different, before they had Phase II of the match. In the old system, there was a free-for-all clearinghouse that would start on the Monday when everyone found out where they matched. The weekend was for those who didn't match to get their materials together and get a team in place to help with clearinghouse. Phase II doesn't work like that, so now everyone can find out at the same time.

Question for you all-

What are people's opinions on including sites in your rank order list that you received a rejection from? I have heard conflicting stories about the utility of doing this. Obviously, you can not MATCH to a site if they don't rank you, but I've also been told that some sites rank more applicants than they actually invite to interview, as an attempt to not fall into Phase II.

I only say this because I was not interviewed at my most preferred site, yet I'm not sure it would do any harm to still rank them.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for you all-

What are people's opinions on including sites in your rank order list that you received a rejection from? I have heard conflicting stories about the utility of doing this. Obviously, you can not MATCH to a site if they don't rank you, but I've also been told that some sites rank more applicants than they actually invite to interview, as an attempt to not fall into Phase II.

I only say this because I was not interviewed at my most preferred site, yet I'm not sure it would do any harm to still rank them.

This sounds like something that would be worth asking the program about. If they don't rank folks they don't interview, no sense ranking them. If they sometimes do, why not?

Question for you all-

Sites will generally let applicants know if they're going to rank people they didn't interview. You're right in that it shouldn't hurt to rank a site where you didn't interview, but at the same time, unless they explicitly said they were ranking un-interviewed applicants, I never did it.

I just emailed Dr. Kreilin because on the ranking site it only gives us 10 slots. I interviewed at more locations then that and we should be able to rank all we interviewed at. I will let you know what he says.

I just emailed Dr. Kreilin because on the ranking site it only gives us 10 slots. I interviewed at more locations then that and we should be able to rank all we interviewed at. I will let you know what he says.

Per APPIC directions:

"You may enter up to 10 programs at a time before you must save your list by clicking on the Save List button. Each time you save your list, the page is refreshed and the training site name, city, state and program description of each program you have ranked are displayed. You may then continue to add up to 10 more choices at a time before re-saving your list."

Per APPIC directions:

"You may enter up to 10 programs at a time before you must save your list by clicking on the Save List button. Each time you save your list, the page is refreshed and the training site name, city, state and program description of each program you have ranked are displayed. You may then continue to add up to 10 more choices at a time before re-saving your list."

Actually as I started adding programs it jumped up to more sites. I was able to rank all places that I interviewed :).

Are others still awaiting a response for the McGuire Primary Care Track?

Does anyone know the yearly stipend at the Durham VA? Thanks!

already re-certified my list 3 times today, and I still have one interview left, which will likely mean making more changes.

I'm having trouble because I'm still wishy-washy on how much importance I'm putting into non-training aspects (location, benefits, etc). On the one hand, I really want to live with my husband during internship year, I think that support from him will be more valuable than I can even foresee, but my favorite training site is about a 3 hours drive away, and would provide the training I am actually seeking (treatment focus there versus more assessment-focus at the local site). I'm curious what factors others are considering, and if you are a current intern, whether you did make sacrifices to your internship opportunities due to geographic limitations, and if it was worth it.

I put more emphasis on the training aspects of a site instead of location and benefits. I'm not married though, and I know several in my cohort that put more emphasis on the location and benefits because they are married and want and/or need to be together with their spouses. I've been engaged for about 6 months, but for the 3 years of our relationship we have lived 2 hours apart. This allows us to see each other almost every weekend, but that's about it. If I match both of my sites are about 8 hours away from my fiance by car. That means we won't be able to see each other nearly as much. However, we will finally be able to move on with our lives and set a wedding date for when I complete my internship.

At one of my interviews I ran into someone from my undergrad program. He's married now and his wife has an excellent job. He only applied to sites that would not require her to leave her job because he has no intention of being apart during internship. Last year someone in my lab left their husband behind while she went off on internship, so while it's not the ideal situation, some choose to go that route. Good luck.

Geographic location did factor into my rankings, but that only came as a tie-breaker when I couldn't figure out any other way of reliably separating my top handful of sites. If I'd had a clear favorite, I personally would've set it as my first choice without a second thought, given that you really can live just about anywhere for one year.

Then again, as with the poster above me, I'm not married and thus don't have that relationship to factor into my decisions.

PurplePants,
I totally get what you're going through. Because all but 1 interview was driving, my wife was able to go with me to every city in which I had interviews. She fell in love with the place I'm tenatively ranking #5 (it'd be lower if I was single). But, I realize that she's a trooper and I'm essentially moving her from a place she's lived for 10 years to somewhere for 1 year, then somewhere else for another year (presumed postdoc). Because of this, I've been wavering ALOT about the middle part of my rankings. Last week we interviewed at a site in my home state (Texas) and she absolutely detested that town, almost in a comical way. Training wise, that site would be great and I'd still be happy to be there. I keep coming back to what options each track would open up for me career wise, and am trying to make decisions based on that, not things related to the town. But I admit, it's harder than I ever thought now that I'm being asked to make decisions for two professional's careers.

Guys, I hear you on geography. I am married and have kids, and fortunately my husband can go with me.

However, I am worrying alot about quality of life for that reason (hours, etc), so it actually affects me kind of like geography. I am finding worse hours are at medical centers - 55-65 typically. That was totally ok before kids, but now, not as crazy about it. Also, time spent driving across consortium sites and sitting in traffic is time I am not working on things and getting home.

I have a question on fit. The APPIC email talked about not ranking based on how you think they will rank you, but I can't take that literally because this is also getting at "fit." I get not ranking based on how you did not the interview, but what about these scenarios: Interns at Site #1 (a federal BOP) are from research heavy programs and have at least 5 pubs each, and Site #1 has been choosing interns from same three forensic programs for the last few years as far as you can tell. I liked the Site, but I don't fit those "invisible" criteria. They don't require this emphasis. In general, all BOP sites wnat BOP psychologists where paying your dues, not research is the emphasis. But they are getting the same kind of interns year after year, and they don't look like me or people from my lab. Site #2 (a prestigous forensic site also) is not in a great geographic location for me (really far away from home and expensive), but has taken students from my lab for 3 of the last 4 years, but is most likely due to a rotation that we offer in our program that's pretty rare and they require as well.

Ok, interview performance aside, those are "fit" issues, I think. Right? They are both competitive, so I think #1 and #2 are going to matter alot...

Last edited:
My understanding of the algorithm is that ultimately, using your example, you should rank site #1 as first (if it's truly your first choice) because even if you don't match there, that won't affect your chances of matching at #2. If you don't land at #1, then the program will stick you into #2 if there's an open slot, and will keep you there unless someone ranked higher than you by that site comes along and bumps you out (at which point your ranking of that site won't matter). And if site #2 has no openings, then you'll bump any current applicants whom you're ranked higher than; if you aren't ranked higher than any of the current applicants (who would've then bumped you had they come along anyway), the algorithm will attempt to match you at your third-ranked site, etc.

Thus, where a site falls on your list only matters with respect to the order that the algorithm will attempt to place you into sites, which is why you're supposed to rank based on true preference. But the algorithm doesn't somehow penalize you for ranking a site 6th or 8th or 10th rather than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd. My guess as to the reason most people match to their first 3 sites is because a) the people liked those sites the most, which likely reflects an overall good level of "fit" between the applicants and program as well as feelings related to having performed well on interview, all of which (plus other components) is also then reflected by b) the programs liking those people the most, and c) the algorithm attempting to match you on your list in a top-down fashion. If the algorithm started from the bottom of the list, I'd imagine most people would match to their bottom four or five sites, with the greater amount of variability reflecting less-matched feelings of "fit" and application/interview performance between applicant and program.

Thanks Acroynym Allergy - that was helpful...It does start to get complicated when you think about things like what if my #2 site liked me more or runs out of slots, etc. My favorite site emphasizes experience that I don't have, but I desperately want. My number two site fits my current experience perfectly but offers some extensions, it's just a more narrow training expeirence overall. It's just hard to think through those questions of "fit".....

List your true preferences. Really. That of course can still be hard. But don't make it harder by trying to second guess the system or the sites. There are way too many variables, none of which are controlled by your thinking. But you do have control over your own order of ranking and it does determine where the system will work to place you if it can.

I have a question on fit. The APPIC email talked about not ranking based on how you think they will rank you, but I can't take that literally because this is also getting at "fit." I get not ranking based on how you did not the interview, but what about these scenarios: Interns at Site #1 (a federal BOP) are from research heavy programs and have at least 5 pubs each, and Site #1 has been choosing interns from same three forensic programs for the last few years as far as you can tell. I liked the Site, but I don't fit those "invisible" criteria. They don't require this emphasis. In general, all BOP sites wnat BOP psychologists where paying your dues, not research is the emphasis. But they are getting the same kind of interns year after year, and they don't look like me or people from my lab. Site #2 (a prestigous forensic site also) is not in a great geographic location for me (really far away from home and expensive), but has taken students from my lab for 3 of the last 4 years, but is most likely due to a rotation that we offer in our program that's pretty rare and they require as well.

I agree with everything AA and docma said, and just to add, looking at who ended up matching at a site #1 does not mean that those are "invisible criteria," in terms of how the site ranked students, it could mean that there's more self-selection on the student end. They might be ranking people with your experience highly each year, but for whatever reason, those people are choosing not to rank site #1 that highly and matching at other places. For example, my year, I (and another person from my program) interviewed at a site that had never taken a student from my program, although a few people had interviewed there over the years. From the outside, it might seem like they didn't like people from our program. However, the training director point blank told me that they were hoping to finally get someone from my program this year! I think every person they wanted from our program ended up matching to another internship higher on their list. They actually didn't get either of us either (we both matched to higher ranked sites), but I'd caution anyone to look at those stats and say they don't want our program's students.

Again, just another reason you should match based on your true preferences.

Thanks Acroynym Allergy - that was helpful...It does start to get complicated when you think about things like what if my #2 site liked me more or runs out of slots, etc. My favorite site emphasizes experience that I don't have, but I desperately want. My number two site fits my current experience perfectly but offers some extensions, it's just a more narrow training expeirence overall. It's just hard to think through those questions of "fit".....

I agree with the two posts above mine that suggest just ranking based on your true preferences. The way the algorithm's been explained, site #2 essentially won't run out of slots in the standard sense. If the algorithm tries to match you there and you're ranked more highly by the site than someone else already in a slot, then you'll bump that person from a slot (and will remain "unbumpable" unless someone who's ranked higher by the site than you comes along; and even then, with the re-iterative process, the only way you'd ultimately be bumped should be if you're the lowest-ranked of all the people currently matched to that site). Thus, if you don't match with site #2, then it wouldn't have at all changed things if you'd ranked them any higher on your list.

In essence, if you're ranked in a site's top tier (i.e., if the site has 5 spots and you're in the top 5), you'd be guaranteed to match there no matter where you ranked IF you end up making it far enough down your list.

From everything APPIC has always said, how you rank sites doesn't affect your chances of matching with them, as the "bumping" issue is based entirely on how the sites have ranked you. But if you end up at your #1 and are in an "unbumpable" spot (i.e., you're in their top tier), then you're essentially stuck there and won't move anywhere (same deal if you're matched to your #2 and your #1 is full of applicants whom were all ranked higher by the site than you). That's why you're supposed to rank sites based on where you'd like to end up.

I'm having an issue with ranking a particular site. The stipend is only $15K and it's in a town where the cost of living is much, much higher than $15K will allow me to live. I only had 3 interviews, and I'm almost considering not even ranking this particular site because I don't want to go into debt for another year...and may not even be eligible for loans, etc. due to my (I'm assuming) crappy credit, my parents can't help me, and I don't have a husband for a second source of income.

So, If I rank them and match there, I go into more debt. If I don't rank them, then that increases my chances of not getting an internship.

Any opinions or anyone else facing this dilemma??

So, If I rank them and match there, I go into more debt. If I don't rank them, then that increases my chances of not getting an internship.

If you don't match and have to wait a year, will you go into more debt? As long as the site is APA-acred., then I'd strongly consider ranking it and rolling the dice w. three sites instead of two.

I agree with Therapist4Chnge. The cost of another year of school could well outweigh the costs of going to the area with the high cost of living. I personally would think matching even in the costly location would be better then not matching. My number one choice right now has a stipend of a little over 20K and the cost of renting a studio apartment in a safe and decent area is between $1000 and $1200. If I match to that site, to me it's better then the alternative of not matching.

I'm having an issue with ranking a particular site. The stipend is only $15K and it's in a town where the cost of living is much, much higher than $15K will allow me to live. I only had 3 interviews, and I'm almost considering not even ranking this particular site because I don't want to go into debt for another year...and may not even be eligible for loans, etc. due to my (I'm assuming) crappy credit, my parents can't help me, and I don't have a husband for a second source of income.

Any opinions or anyone else facing this dilemma??

Do you mean student loans? Have you been taking them out already while in school? Most in my program continue taking out a small amount of loans to cover costs of living during internship if they aren't married and aren't interning with the BOP. However, I'm from a PsyD program and I know for some on this site loans are non-existant.

If you like the training opportunities at the site, you should rank the site despite the 15k stipend. Your best strategy to get out of debt, I think, is to finish your education and get into the working world - and not delay this further.

speaking of money...how do you guys factor money in. my professors say money is tertiary, but i have a family, so i don't think that's true for me. the bop makes it really hard. it pays great and i have loved the supervisors at most sites. if you aren't sure want to work with the bop; however, it's really narrow training. i am actually interested in working with adolescents too, so it doesn't offer me that at all. however, the training for forensics is top notch especially at certain sites. i have much broader consortia sites (VA and med school) that offer me so much - inpatient, work with adolescents, trauma and abuse, neuro, DBT, family, etc. but no forensics really and they pay $23-$25k.

i feel like there is an issue of thinking long term vs. short term. bop might = money now, but these other sites may offer more opportunities for money and networking options later especially if you aren't sure you want to do bop.

not sure how it impacts you for postdoc. i have heard different things on forensic postdocs that offer at least some juvenile training (mass general, western state, uva, arkansas state, etc.) and which types of predoctoral sites would make you most competitive for those. one forensic training director said he looks for at least some forensic training, but he'd rather the student have as much training as possible with differential diagonsis with SMI populations. he said he could teach forensics in postdoc, but the other is harder.

Do you mean student loans? Have you been taking them out already while in school? Most in my program continue taking out a small amount of loans to cover costs of living during internship if they aren't married and aren't interning with the BOP. However, I'm from a PsyD program and I know for some on this site loans are non-existant.
You mentioned students taking out loans on internship. Most of the people I've known that went to internship didn't need to take out loans because they were either still on a fellowship or because they had a spouse that more or less made up for the difference. In my program, we register for 1 internship credit hour each semester that we are on internship, which makes us qualify as "full time" status because it is a special credit hour. However, it does not count as full time in terms of loans, which means that if you are in dire straits (which is a pretty easy place to be in if the internship pay is low and you are a high cost of living area) and need loan money, you need to take 5 additional credit hours to qualify. This then means that your tuition is around $6,000 for out of state and that you then need to take out $6,000 to pay the tuition and then whatever else extra you need to supplement that low income. (also, when I'm saying loans, I'm referring to federal loans.)

Is this how it is for your school? I'm very curious how non-married people make internship work when there just isn't enough money. how do others handle this situation?

You mentioned students taking out loans on internship. Most of the people I've known that went to internship didn't need to take out loans because they were either still on a fellowship or because they had a spouse that more or less made up for the difference. In my program, we register for 1 internship credit hour each semester that we are on internship, which makes us qualify as "full time" status because it is a special credit hour. However, it does not count as full time in terms of loans, which means that if you are in dire straits (which is a pretty easy place to be in if the internship pay is low and you are a high cost of living area) and need loan money, you need to take 5 additional credit hours to qualify. This then means that your tuition is around $6,000 for out of state and that you then need to take out $6,000 to pay the tuition and then whatever else extra you need to supplement that low income. (also, when I'm saying loans, I'm referring to federal loans.)

Is this how it is for your school? I'm very curious how non-married people make internship work when there just isn't enough money. how do others handle this situation?

As a single person without any extra source of income I had decided my best choice was to max out on loans this year and bank the money in anticipation of internship. If I don't match, that money is in the bank and will help me out the following year.

I didn't realize the full time status doesn't count in terms of loans. Are you sure about that? If so then I don't know how they've been able to keep taking them out. They definitely aren't registering for additional credits. They also didn't just save them from the year before as PHDMiss2014 suggested, but that is a great idea. Wish I had thought of that myself!

Also, if the full time status doesn't count for loans, then how are students able to defer them for the internship year? Not sure if that's even related to this issue, but a student either has full time status in the eyes of the loan companies or they don't.

I didn't realize the full time status doesn't count in terms of loans. Are you sure about that? If so then I don't know how they've been able to keep taking them out. They definitely aren't registering for additional credits. They also didn't just save them from the year before as PHDMiss2014 suggested, but that is a great idea. Wish I had thought of that myself!

Also, if the full time status doesn't count for loans, then how are students able to defer them for the internship year? Not sure if that's even related to this issue, but a student either has full time status in the eyes of the loan companies or they don't.

The number of hours you register for while on internship will vary from program to program. Ours has us register for, I believe, 6 and 3 for spring/fall and summer, respectively (which I believe qualifies as half-time for financial aid). So long as you're at least half-time, you'll potentially qualify for some degree of loans (although obviously not as much as if you were full-time), and will also qualify to have your existing loans remain in deferment.

Your best bet is likely going to be asking someone from your particular program (a student currently on internship, department secretary, etc.) to see how people there handle things.

Last edited:

My loan company (ACS, I think?) has a residency/fellowship loan deferment option that I fully intend to attempt to use. For me, just being able to defer those things for 12 months will likely make a huge difference for me.

Anyone else submitted their rankings, are satisfied with them, but going a tad stir crazy now?

I might be.

Submitted my rankings, not many to rank ! Happy with my ranking order and trying to keep my mind on other things til match day. Unfortunately, it's not working !

Looking at places to live next year and there are some cities that have decent section 8 housing, when I say decent, I am saying the housing is in a pretty good area. How low does our stipend have to be in order to qualify for section 8 housing or low-income benefits?

Looking at places to live next year and there are some cities that have decent section 8 housing, when I say decent, I am saying the housing is in a pretty good area. How low does our stipend have to be in order to qualify for section 8 housing or low-income benefits?

You need to be below a certain % of the average income for the city/state. I believe there are different types of programs for housing that can vary by city/state, so it will take some work on your part to find the best option, but it doesn't hurt to poke around.

During my intern year I matched to a slightly lower cost than average major city, which gave me options to get by on ~$22k/yr. I found a neighborhood that was being rezoned to promote more live local/work local residents. Companies were given tax breaks to convert/manage space within the neighborhood, with the stipulation that they'd offer a % of their total space at a rent-controlled price. The only documentation I had to submit was my offer letter to prove I made <$25k/yr, so I'm not sure if the program was city-specific. It was the smallest loft the company offered, a studio apt masquerading as a 1BR :laugh: , but it was $515/mon instead of $1000+/mon. for a slightly larger 1BR.

Moral of the story....definitely look around and see what is out there. I have also been able to negotiate slightly lower rent bc of my jobs, as landlords will often cut you a break if you have a stable renting history and/or work at a job that seems responsible. :D My current landlord txt msgs me each month when he receives my check, almost as if he is surprised he is getting paid in full and early/on time. I wish my future mortgage company was as nice as my current landlord!

Last edited:
The number of hours you register for while on internship will vary from program to program. Ours has us register for, I believe, 6 and 3 for spring/fall and summer, respectively (which I believe qualifies as half-time for financial aid). So long as you're at least half-time, you'll potentially qualify for some degree of loans (although obviously not as much as if you were full-time), and will also qualify to have your existing loans remain in deferment.

Your best bet is likely going to be asking someone from your particular program (a student currently on internship, department secretary, etc.) to see how people there handle things.

Just remembered they are all likely registered for dissertation credits during both semesters. That probably makes the difference.

I am curious what others' experiences have been so far regarding getting post-interview feedback from sites. I have sent thank yous to each of my sites, and have gotten very little in response. Also, some of the sites that others in my program interviewed with have contacted our TD to say how much they liked my classmates. Is this common? Should one be worried if they are not getting this type of feedback?

I am curious what others' experiences have been so far regarding getting post-interview feedback from sites. I have sent thank yous to each of my sites, and have gotten very little in response. Also, some of the sites that others in my program interviewed with have contacted our TD to say how much they liked my classmates. Is this common? Should one be worried if they are not getting this type of feedback?

I only had two interviews so my experience is limited. I sent thank you notes to both sites. I heard nothing back from one site, but the other sent me back an email telling me how much they enjoyed meeting me and wished me luck. I would like to know what is normal as well !

Does anyone know if sites contacting TDs at schools is common practice? I'm gonna be honest, that makes me feel a little uneasy about the selection process. Whether the TD knows people at these sites or the sites are really eager to match with these students, it doesn't seem very neutral to me.