2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I wanted to say that you got SEVEN interviews for the first round AND they ranked you. I'm not sure if all of them were college counseling centers, but obviously some of them were. College counseling centers are competitive and you got interviews at some of them. So obviously, there was something there. Perhaps for round two you could specifically talk about how the skills you have translate into college counseling centers and what you feel you could bring due to your past experiences? I don't know if I would exactly put it this way, but maybe you could talk about what skills you have that those who have trained at college counseling centers don't have? Maybe do some research on the shortcomings seen in college counseling centers and how your skills can address them? Sorry for the lengthy response, I just like to see people pursue their dreams.

I appreciate the support, and I definitely tried to tailor my cover letters to show how my training could be valuable for a college counseling center. I did apply to some hospitals and CMH in the first round, and had an interview at a hospital. The first time I went through the match I applied to many different sites but only got interviews at colleges, which is why I more heavily focused on colleges in the second match.

I am trying to stay hopeful, it's pretty tough though, just because last time I went through the match I didn't get a single Phase II interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to stay hopeful, it's pretty tough though, just because last time I went through the match I didn't get a single Phase II interview.

im afraid of not getting interviews in phase II as well. i know someone really qualified from my program who ddnt match last year and they didnt get any interviews in round II. im trying to put together a plan B in case that happens but its hard.

hey, do u guys think that sites will be working on apps this wkend or will there be no more news until Monday?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, do u guys think that sites will be working on apps this wkend or will there be no more news until Monday?

I think anything goes at this point. I got weekend responses during Phase I, and with the time crunch I feel like they have to review applications to get through them all. I only did 12 for Phase II, thought about doing more, but I'm trying to remember it's better to wait a year and re-apply than be stuck at a site that's a bad fit.

It's hard to say but it looks like no one really heard last year over the weekend (that posted about it anyway) and the sites are different this year so each program will probably handle Phase II differently, although I hope they continue over the weekend!

Also, I was curious about some of the sites that were in Phase II last year and are in it again this year such as Heart of America, Institute for Multicultural Counseling and Education Service, Orlando VA, etc... I was just wondering if you think these places aren't ranking anyone in Phase I or if there is some strategy behind their decisions? Some of these sites, and others I didn't mention, have more than half their spots unfilled. It just seems unlikely to me that they wouldn't find anyone qualified in Phase I, unless of course every person they ranked matched somewhere else.

It's hard to say but it looks like no one really heard last year over the weekend (that posted about it anyway) and the sites are different this year so each program will probably handle Phase II differently, although I hope they continue over the weekend!

Also, I was curious about some of the sites that were in Phase II last year and are in it again this year such as Heart of America, Institute for Multicultural Counseling and Education Service, Orlando VA, etc... I was just wondering if you think these places aren't ranking anyone in Phase I or if there is some strategy behind their decisions? Some of these sites, and others I didn't mention, have more than half their spots unfilled. It just seems unlikely to me that they wouldn't find anyone qualified in Phase I, unless of course every person they ranked matched somewhere else.

Both Heart of America and the Institute for Multicultural Counseling and Education Services offer a lot of positions, so it's not surprising that they tend to have positions available in Phase II. Also, the Orlando VA is not an APA-accredited site, so that likely is the main reason for none of their positions being filled.

Wow, I did not know a site like this existed. Would have helped during this crazy process.

Best of luck to people applying to phase 2.:)

Wow, I did not know a site like this existed. Would have helped during this crazy process.

Best of luck to people applying to phase 2.:)

Welcome! Everyone on this site is super helpful, but it can also be quite addicting (like refreshing the page every 3 seconds the morning of match day!)

i did but i didnt match in phase I so now im just hoping for phase II. this site is really great bc im applying for internship a yr earlier than my cohort so im doing it all alone. nice to have all these wonderful ppl to freak out with, lol

Welcome! Everyone on this site is super helpful, but it can also be quite addicting (like refreshing the page every 3 seconds the morning of match day!)

Thank you :)
Yes I was refreshing my email every 3 seconds on match day. It was a stressful morning.:eek:

i did but i didnt match in phase I so now im just hoping for phase II. this site is really great bc im applying for internship a yr earlier than my cohort so im doing it all alone. nice to have all these wonderful ppl to freak out with, lol

Ha, yes it helps. I was fortunate enough to match in phase 1. But I know ppl going through phase 2. Keep your head up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I guess we won't be hearing anything today, I have a feeling next weekend will be very different though.

Just received a call to interview with the Sante Center...!

Just received a call to interview with the Sante Center...!

Congrats! What a great Sunday surprise :) Hoping we get some more news tomorrow, for now I'm putting down the schoolwork and watching The Walking Dead, nothing like zombies getting shot in the head...

Invitation to interview at the Oscar G. Johnson VAMC in MI. Looks like an awesome site.

Here's rootin for Phase II!!

Got a call from Ohio University this morning, doing phone interviews this week.

Email offer from Henry Ford Health Sciences Center in Detroit. Said to contact them for more info about interviews.

I'm wondering if we can get a sticky going on that's updated for Phase II interviews/rejections the way there was for Phase I.

I'm glad to know people are posting here. I stopped checking after the initial interview offer phase. I applied to 12 sites and have had some email exchanges, but no offers yet. :eek: Friends in the process have heard from:

Scott & White and
A University site in Washington state,
Royal Oaks Hospital and
J.J. Peters Institute

I don't know the details since they weren't mine, but I thought I'd pass this on.

I'm glad to know people are posting here. I stopped checking after the initial interview offer phase. I applied to 12 sites and have had some email exchanges, but no offers yet. :eek: Friends in the process have heard from:

Scott & White and
Royal Oaks Hospital and
J.J. Peters Institute

I don't know the details since they weren't mine, but I thought I'd pass this on.

Thank you so much, the info. is greatly appreciated!

Good luck to you :)

Just got an e-mail from Kern County Mental Health that they received my application along with "a rather large bunch" of other applications. They are only interviewing 7 - 10 people and will let them know when they make final cuts.

Got an email invite to do a phone interview at Central Iowa VA! Email had my name at the top, but seemed generic other than that. Yay!

I got a generalized email from Primary Children's Medical Center stating that I'm "in the running," but the rotation offered has been changed to full-time outpatient and they want to know if I still want to be considered.

Scott & White and
Royal Oaks Hospital and
J.J. Peters Institute

Thanks for sharing that! Do you happen to know if they were all invitations, or just know that they heard form them?

Got an email from Eastern Kansas VA, Topeka for an interview. Soooooo happy!! (can't tell if it's a form letter).

Got an email from Eastern Kansas VA, Topeka for an interview. Soooooo happy!! (can't tell if it's a form letter).

Congrats! I applied there, as well. Hoping that they're sending things out in waves, or something. :)

Just consider it as freeing u up to practice n kick ass at the othr sites! Stay positive!!

Congrats! I applied there, as well. Hoping that they're sending things out in waves, or something. :)

That's so ironic bc u heard from Iowa today and I didn't. Seems like we have the same taste, lol.

That's so ironic bc u heard from Iowa today and I didn't. Seems like we have the same taste, lol.

Haha, I guess we're alternating! I mostly applied to VAs and a few counseling centers. You?

Scott & White and
Royal Oaks Hospital and
J.J. Peters Institute

Any idea which University in Washington?

Haha, I guess we're alternating! I mostly applied to VAs and a few counseling centers. You?

all VAs and one med skewl. ive never had the chance to prac at a VA so my DOT says he thinks my chances are pretty low. *sigh*

just got a phone call to set up an interview with the Miami VA gero track !!!

just got a phone call to set up an interview with the Miami VA gero track !!!

Go, you! I didn't apply to that one (I'm really not a gero person), but I've heard great things about that site. Looks like you're doing just fine with the VAs!

Interviews/Ranking Notifications
  • Baltimore VA
  • Baylor Geriatric Research Track (email; 3/1)
  • Canandaigua VA (email; 3/8)
  • Carson Center for Adults and Families (phone; 3/1)
  • Cincinnati VA (email; 3/8)
  • Comprehensive Outpatient Services, Inc
  • Connecticut Valley Psychology Internship/River Valley Services (phone; 3/5)
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)- USF
  • Eastern Kansas VA (email; 3/1)
  • El Paso Psychology Internship (rolling)
  • Family Service & Guidance Center, Inc. (phone; 3/7)
  • Fargo VAMC
  • Florida Gulf Coast University
  • Friends Hospital (email; 3/7)
  • Girard, New Mexico State University - Chestnut Hill Pre-Doctoral Internship
  • Guidance Center
  • Heart of America Consortium - Royal Oaks Hospital and Family Psychology Center and Pathways
  • Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
  • Illinois Psych Association Consortium - Genesis Therapy Center
  • James H Quillen VAMC (phone; 3/5)
  • Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services (3/4)
  • Kentucky River Community Care
  • Kern County Child Intensive and Adolescent Emphasis Rotation
  • Louisiana School Psychology Internship Consortium (3/12)
  • Madison County Community Health
  • Mailman CCD in Miami
  • May Institute- ABS track (3/6)
  • Miami VA- Gero (phone; 3/5)
  • Mid-Ohio Psychological Association
  • Monterey County Behavioral Health
  • Nebraska Consortium - Boy's Town Grand Island & Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders (CASD) (rolling) & Rural Integrated Care Program
  • Nebraska Mental Health Center (phone; 3/7)
  • Newark Public Schools (email; 2/28)
  • Ohio University
  • Orlando VA
  • Oscar G. Johnson VAMC
  • Park Place Behavioral Health (email; 3/4)
  • Primary Children's Medical Center (email; 3/6)
  • Rappahanock Area Community Service Board (email; 3/7)
  • Reading Hospital & Medical Center (phone; 3/6)
  • Rogers Memorial Hospital
  • San Antonio State Hospital (phone; 3/6)
  • San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health ( phone;3/13)
  • Sante Center
  • Scott &White (rolling)
  • Stanford
  • St. Louis VA (email; 3/4, 3/7 looks like might be rolling)
  • St. Vincent Neuropsych Institute
  • Southern Utah University (email; 3/6)
  • Tarzana Treatment Center
  • University of Alabama Birmingham- VA (email; 3/13)
  • University of Houston Clear Lake
  • University of Florida Health Science Center (phone; 3/4)
  • University of Oklahoma Health Science Center (phone; 3/7)
  • University of Maine
  • University of Washington
  • VA Central Iowa Health Care (email; 3/4 & 3/5, looks like might be rolling)
  • Virginia Beach City Public Schools (email; 3/4)
  • Western Kentucky Consortium
  • Will County Health Department (phone; 3/7)
  • Woodhull Medical Center

Rejections
  • Baylor Geriatric Research Track
  • East Tennessee South West Virginia Psychology Internship Consortium
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • Friends Hospital (3/7)
  • UC Merced
  • University of Central Florida
  • University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
  • Southern Utah University (email; 3/6)
  • Visiting Mental Health

Last edited:
Interviews/Ranking Notifications
  • Central Iowa VA
  • Eastern Kansas VA (email; 2/29)
  • Fargo VAMC
  • Heart of America Consortium - Rogers Memorial Hospital and Royal Oaks Hospital
  • Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
  • Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services (3/4)
  • Miami VA- Gero (phone; 3/5)
  • Newark Public Schools (email; 2/28)
  • Ohio University
  • Oscar G. Johnson VAMC
  • Primary Children's Medical Center
  • Sante Center
  • Scott &White
  • Virginia Beach City Public Schools (email; 3/4)

Rejections
  • UC Merced

Thanks, Pyschgirl08! This helps a lot. Just one modification, but really no big deal. Rogers Memorial Hospital is not part of the Heart of America consortium. It is its own individual site and is located in Wisconsin.

Also, I just received interview invites to Scott & White this morning, so seems like they are doing rolling invites. I also received a very nice invite by telephone from Family Psychology Center which is another Heart of America site.

Does anyone know (perhaps based on last years' Phase II) at what point no news is bad news? So far I've received two invites (by the way, one that hasn't been mentioned yet is St. Vincent Neuropsych Institute in Indianapolis), but was expecting/hoping to hear more by now.

Thanks, Pyschgirl08! This helps a lot. Just one modification, but really no big deal. Rogers Memorial Hospital is not part of the Heart of America consortium. It is its own individual site and is located in Wisconsin.

Also, I just received interview invites to Scott & White this morning, so seems like they are doing rolling invites. I also received a very nice invite by telephone from Family Psychology Center which is another Heart of America site.
Thanks, it has been updated.

Does anyone know (perhaps based on last years' Phase II) at what point no news is bad news? So far I've received two invites (by the way, one that hasn't been mentioned yet is St. Vincent Neuropsych Institute in Indianapolis), but was expecting/hoping to hear more by now.
I really do not know for sure, but I know someone who did Phase II last year and was told she received notifications throughout this week and early next week.

Heard from Park Place Behavioral Health - interview offer via email on 3/4
Has anyone heard from UMDNJ or Reading Hospital?

Received a respectful email rejection from Eastern Virginia Medical School regarding their two new Match II positions. Said they received 101 applications for 2 positions.

It was actually nice of them to inform me of that.

thx psycgirl08 thats super helpful.

so far i have more (assumed based on the list) rejects than i do interviews, hoping to turn those stats around!