2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I only have one interview so far (maybe that's all I'll end up with). It's scheduled for Friday and is only 30 minutes. I had the same thought as you...how is that long enough? But hopefully it is. :)

I also asked the person how many applications they received. She said that that particular program received~150 applications and is currently interviewing less than a third of them. Not sure that helps, but that's all I know at this point.....
Yes, that helps, thanks! I'm surprised that sites have time to interview so many applicants. 1/3 of applicants at the site you mentioned would be 50! But I guess since they said, "less than 1/3," it could really be any number less than that.

Members don't see this ad.

From where are you acquiring information about notifications that are not posted in the thread? Some of these sites you've listed as having extended interviews have not been mentioned in this thread.
I'm getting them from private messages being sent to me.

So the Primary Children's Medical Center sent another e-mail today? 3/6? In addition to those sent on 3/4? Was it an invite invitation? Because the previous notification was not- simply a message stating that the applicant was "still in the running"
Yes, I was told that this email was to schedule an actual interview. I do not know if that means they are done offering interviews or if they are rolling.

Members don't see this ad :)
San Antonio State Hospital invite by phone!!!

Rejections: Southern Utah, UC Merced, U of Houston Clear Lake. Assumed rejections at a handful of others posted...

I heard from Henry Ford on the 4th saying they were interested and to let them know if I was interested in interviewing.

Right, I thought that was weird. I mean, I only applied like three days prior. Of course I'm still interested. :).

I haven't received any formal rejections but I think I have a few assumed rejections....

So far I have received 3 invitations to interview and 2 rejections. I applied to 11 sites and am beginning to worry that I may not receive any more interviews. 3 out of 11? I can't tell from the published statistics how many places people who matched in phase II applied to. In phase I I know it was ~15, but I wonder what the average number of applications and interviews are in this phase.

Anyone else read/heard/experienced anything that can quell some of my anxiety?

Has anyone heard from The May Institute- ABS track?

San Antonio State Hospital invite by phone!!!

Rejections: Southern Utah, UC Merced, U of Houston Clear Lake. Assumed rejections at a handful of others posted...

Congrats! I just looked back at the 2012 Appic thread and you and I had a very similar journey last year. Looks like we are having a similar journey this year as well. I hope it both ends better for us this time!

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone out there that knows anything about the Illinois Psychological Association Consortium? I wondering about the quality of training and environment. You can PM me if you'd like.

Thanks!

I guess I should ask for info on specific sites. I would like info on The Genesis Center and Child and Family Psychology Center

Last edited:
Congrats! I just looked back at the 2012 Appic thread and you and I had a very similar journey last year. Looks like we are having a similar journey this year as well. I hope it both ends better for us this time!

Thanks! Best of luck to you! Are you interviewing at SASH too?

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have received 3 invitations to interview and 2 rejections. I applied to 11 sites and am beginning to worry that I may not receive any more interviews. 3 out of 11? I can't tell from the published statistics how many places people who matched in phase II applied to. In phase I I know it was ~15, but I wonder what the average number of applications and interviews are in this phase.

Anyone else read/heard/experienced anything that can quell some of my anxiety?

According to the Phase II stats from last year (found here), the average number of submitted applications was 10.2 and the average number submitted ranks was 4.3. The average number of ranks appears to be the same for matched and unmatched applicants. However, I don't think the 4.3 number takes into account the people who didn't submit a rank order list at all, which may indicate that they got 0 interviews (or didn't find appropriate sites to apply to, or whatever).

Personalized rejection from East Tennessee Southwest Virginia Psychology Internship Consortium/Radford Student Counseling Services.

Just received a phone call to invite me to an interview at Family Services & Guidance Center. That makes six interviews so far. Woot! Woot!

I'm going to go nuts until I know if The May Institute is doing rolling interview notifications. The notified someone yesterday and I haven't heard anything yet. I also haven't heard from 9 of my sites. this process stinks!!

Has anyone heard from Mailman yet? It seems odd that sites would wait until next week, since everyone will be scrambling to make time for interviews. :thumbdown:

Phone call today to set up an interview for University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center.

Still waiting on about 10-12 sites. Nobody I know has heard from them. This process is cray cray.

That's where I'm at, too. Anxiety, my good friend...

I keep watching old episodes of Penn and Teller's Fool Us (great show by the way), and keep telling everyone that tomorrow's the "big reveal". I think the stress is finally starting to get to me. At least I have one interview (already in the list).

Still waiting on about 10-12 sites. Nobody I know has heard from them. This process is cray cray.

I was just thinking that there are so many UCCs that nobody has heard a peep from. I know they're notorious for taking longer but dang...

I was just thinking that there are so many UCCs that nobody has heard a peep from. I know they're notorious for taking longer but dang...

What about VAs? Well over half the positions in Phase II have not extended interviews yet...

Hello All!

I've heard from River Valley in CT and UMDNJ (Forensic Track) has requested supplemental materials but has said no more.

Has anyone heard from these?

UMDNJ-Forensic
UMDNJ-Adult Outpatient
Bay Pines VA
Woodhull
UCF Counseling Center

Thanks & good luck!

Hello All!

I've heard from River Valley in CT and UMDNJ (Forensic Track) has requested supplemental materials but has said no more.

UMDNJ-Forensic
UMDNJ-Adult Outpatient
Bay Pines VA
Woodhull
UCF Counseling Center

Thanks & good luck!

Heard from Woodhull... they are doing calls and looks like they are interviewing today and Monday.

Also, Jewish Board (Adol) and Mid-Ohio Psychological Association have notified for interviews (at least a first wave).

Heard from Woodhull... they are doing calls and looks like they are interviewing today and Monday.

Also, Jewish Board (Adol) and Mid-Ohio Psychological Association have notified for interviews (at least a first wave).

When did you hear from Woodhull?

Hello All!

UMDNJ-Forensic
UMDNJ-Adult Outpatient
Bay Pines VA
Woodhull
UCF Counseling Center

Thanks & good luck!

i applied to bay pines VA and havent heard anything (along with about 6 other Vas that arent on the list at all!)

Is anyone else contemplating calling Primary Children's to find out why we got the initial e-mail but haven't heard back since?

Hello All!

UMDNJ-Forensic
UMDNJ-Adult Outpatient
Bay Pines VA
Woodhull
UCF Counseling Center

Thanks & good luck!

I applied to Bay Pines VA and UCF Counseling Center, but haven't heard back from either. I'm guessing that the more popular sites, which I think APA-accredited VAs and UCCs tend to be, ended up with tons of applications and are still trying to get through them all.

Hey Everyone,

I've updated the list on page 92 to the best of my knowledge. If anyone has heard from a place not on the list let me know. Also, if you heard from a site on the list but on a different date let me know so I can put it might be rolling.

Interviews/Ranking Notifications
  • Baylor Geriatric Research Track. (email; 3/1)
  • Carson Center for Adults and Families (phone; 3.1)
  • Comprehensive Outpatient Services, Inc
  • Connecticut Valley Psychology Internship/River Valley Services (phone; 3/5)
  • Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)- USF
  • Eastern Kansas VA (email; 3/1)
  • Family Service & Guidance Center, Inc. (phone; 3/7)
  • Fargo VAMC
  • Friends Hospital (email; 3/7)
  • Heart of America Consortium - Royal Oaks Hospital and Family Psychology Center
  • Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
  • James H Quillen VAMC (phone; 3/5)
  • Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services (3/4)
  • Kentucky River Community Care
  • Miami VA- Gero (phone; 3/5)
  • Mid-Ohio Psychological Association
  • Monterey County Behavioral Health
  • Nebraska Consortium - Boy's Town Grand Island & Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders (CASD)
  • Nebraska Mental Health Center (phone; 3/7)
  • Newark Public Schools (email; 2/28)
  • Ohio University
  • Oscar G. Johnson VAMC
  • Park Place Behavioral Health (email; 3/4)
  • Primary Children's Medical Center (email; 3/6)
  • Reading Hospital & Medical Center (phone; 3/6)
  • Rogers Memorial Hospital
  • San Antonio State Hospital (phone; 3/6)
  • Sante Center
  • Scott &White (rolling)
  • St. Louis VA (email; 3/4, 3/7 looks like might be rolling)
  • St. Vincent Neuropsych Institute
  • Southern Utah University (email; 3/6)
  • University of Florida Health Science Center (phone; 3/4)
  • University of Oklahoma Health Science Center (phone; 3/7)
  • VA Central Iowa Health Care (email; 3/4 & 3/5, looks like might be rolling)
  • Virginia Beach City Public Schools (email; 3/4)

Rejections
  • East Tennessee South West Virginia Psychology Internship Consortium
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
  • UC Merced
  • University of Houston Clear Lake
  • University of Oklahoma Health Science Center
  • Southern Utah University (email; 3/6)

Received an interview today for Kern County Child Intensive and Adolescent Emphasis Rotation :)

I had my interview with River Valley in CT yesterday. I don't know what that means, like if they are still contacting people, but just thought I'd let you know.

Hello All!

UMDNJ-Forensic
UMDNJ-Adult Outpatient
Bay Pines VA
Woodhull
UCF Counseling Center

Thanks & good luck!
I had my interview with River Valley in CT yesterday. I don't know what that means, like if they are contacting people still, but I thought I'd let you know.

no new news for me yet today, hoping that means i will hear tons of things tomm.

No, I'm too scared, haha. But if you do please let me know!

Anybody willing to contact Dr. Keilin and ask what to do in this situation and whether it might be appropriate to contact Primary Children's to check is we are still in the "running"? I have contacted him for so many other things that I'm afraid of bothering him again.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd let those of you who applied to Friends Hospital know that they just sent me a rejection email (generic).

Anybody willing to contact Dr. Keilin and ask what to do in this situation and whether it might be appropriate to contact Primary Children's to check is we are still in the "running"? I have contacted him for so many other things that I'm afraid of bothering him again.
If I were you, I'd call. The few training directors I spoke with during Phase I (prior to interviews) all told me that they really appreciate hearing from applicants....they said that it didn't bother them and that it showed them that you're really interested in their program(s). :)

Oops. I hadn't read that you've already contacted him a few times. If that's the case, I'd just shoot him a really quick email. Do others agree?

If I were you, I'd call. The few training directors I spoke with during Phase I (prior to interviews) all told me that they really appreciate hearing from applicants....they said that it didn't bother them and that it showed them that you're really interested in their program(s). :)

Wait, I'm confused. Call the Primary Children's trainig director (Dr. Poulsen) or the APPIC internship coordinator (Dr. Keilin)? I was suggesting that perhaps we e-mail Dr. Keilin and ask him what is best to do in this case. I have definitely not called the Primary Children's training director multiple times. In fact, I'm scared to even call once because I'm thinking he might just take me off the list if I do. Are you saying that I should call Dr. Poulsen because he might appreciate my interest? What do others think about this?

Wait, I'm confused. Call the Primary Children's trainig director (Dr. Poulsen) or the APPIC internship coordinator (Dr. Keilin)? I was suggesting that perhaps we e-mail Dr. Keilin and ask him what is best to do in this case. I have definitely not called the Primary Children's training director multiple times. In fact, I'm scared to even call once because I'm thinking he might just take me off the list if I do. Are you saying that I should call Dr. Poulsen because he might appreciate my interest? What do others think about this?
Yes. The ones I spoke to thanked me for calling. (I'm assuming it was genuine, but I guess you can never know.)

Training director.

Received a phone invitation to interview with Will County Health Department this afternoon, interviews are next week.