2013 mcat confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bomikepa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so the new order is now
PS/VR/BS/non scored section?

"The trial section will consist of 32 questions and will be administered in a 45-minute time period after all three operational sections (Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning, and Biological Sciences) have been administered. Including the trial section, the 2013 and 2014 total testing time will not change."

how will the total testing time remain the same when the last section is only 45mins? writing was 1 hour long before?

Members don't see this ad.

so the new order is now

"The trial section will consist of 32 questions and will be administered in a 45-minute time period after all three operational sections (Physical Sciences, Verbal Reasoning, and Biological Sciences) have been administered. Including the trial section, the 2013 and 2014 total testing time will not change."

how will the total testing time remain the same when the last section is only 45mins? writing was 1 hour long before?

yeah, I read that too...is only 15 minutes less. Oh well, I am guessing they just give an estimation of the total testing time :cool:

so the new order is now

Or do they mean that the testing time won't change from 2013 to 2014?

Or do they mean that the testing time won't change from 2013 to 2014?

i thought you had a good point but then i read this

What will be different about the MCAT exam in 2013 and 2014?
If you plan to take the MCAT in 2013 or 2014, please note that the Writing Sample section will no longer be part of the exam. In its place, a voluntary, unscored trial section will be added starting in January 2013. These unscored questions within this trial section will come from one of the content areas that will be added to MCAT in 2015. These include psychology, sociology, and biochemistry. Including the trial section, the 2013 and 2014 total testing times will be the same as 2012. Examinees that volunteer to participate, and put forth a good faith effort, will be compensated. Please note that admissions officers will continue to receive Writing Sample scores from exams taken in 2012 and prior.

" Including the trial section, the 2013 and 2014 total testing times will be the same as 2012."

how will the total testing time be the same if the new section is 15 mins shorter than the writing section?

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so i finally called them

they said that it will infact be 15 mins shorter than before. The non scored section is optional so you don't even have to do it. If you do it in good faith he said that they dont know what the compensation is exactly but some sort sort of gift card

So do they randomly chose people who decides to participate or do they ask you during the registration period? How do they know who is BSing it?

I think everyone can choose to take it if they want the reward/gift card. As far as figuring out who put forth a good faith effort, at the very least, they can probably tell someone didn't take it seriously if they just put answers down in an easy pattern (all Cs, abcd abcd..., etc.) or if they finish the section in like 5 minutes.

okay so i finally called them

they said that it will infact be 15 mins shorter than before. The non scored section is optional so you don't even have to do it. If you do it in good faith he said that they dont know what the compensation is exactly but some sort sort of gift card

Cool, thanks man