2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received my NOR back on the 25th of February with a rating of 95, but I have yet to receive an email that prompts me to re-register and write a personal statement. Am I missing something or should I assume I was not chosen to submit a secondary application?

Members don't see this ad.

You guys. I submitted my application last night. Was there a section requiring that we put volunteer and non volunteer information?

The "instructions to apply" mentioned this section but I was only instructed to include the 1) the statement of purpose, 2) contact information and 3) geographic location. Is there a seperate place to include you work information? I do NOT want to submit and incomplete application.

Hey,

So I also received a NOR, with a score of 100. That was on Feb 25. I havent heard anything from them since that. My application status says "complete", I submitted everything on the check list, etc. I am currently a fellow at the CDC and I have been talking with lab directors who say I am more than qaulified, so what gives? I just get a blanket statement from PHAP too when I contact them:

"Hello,

You may check your status on the USAJobs.com website. If you have any questions about the application process, your package submission or your acceptance into a program; please contact the CDC HelpDesk at [email protected]. Please include your announcement number.

PHAP"

I hope the fact that I am a fellow here doesn't count against me....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

So I also received a NOR, with a score of 100. That was on Feb 25. I havent heard anything from them since that. My application status says "complete", I submitted everything on the check list, etc. I am currently a fellow at the CDC and I have been talking with lab directors who say I am more than qaulified, so what gives? I just get a blanket statement from PHAP too when I contact them:

"Hello,

You may check your status on the USAJobs.com website. If you have any questions about the application process, your package submission or your acceptance into a program; please contact the CDC HelpDesk at [email protected]. Please include your announcement number.

PHAP"

I hope the fact that I am a fellow here doesn't count against me....
I've called the HR dept. as well multiple times and all they can tell me is that my application is "still in review".

You guys. I submitted my application last night. Was there a section requiring that we put volunteer and non volunteer information?

The "instructions to apply" mentioned this section but I was only instructed to include the 1) the statement of purpose, 2) contact information and 3) geographic location. Is there a seperate place to include you work information? I do NOT want to submit and incomplete application.
I just submitted my application. I was a little confused about that as well, but I believe we had to mention those things to support our past experiences in our personal statement. Such as coursework, work, voluntary experience, etc....

I've called the HR dept. as well multiple times and all they can tell me is that my application is "still in review".

Well, to shed light on your situation- I think them telling you that your application is still in review means that if enough people don't reply to the secondary part of the application then your application will be considered.

By now, if you haven't recieved the email inviting you to the second part of the application process, then it is highly likely that you were not selected. I submitted my application last night and had been notified about having to do so a week ago.

Also, the website clearly says that "a select group of applicants" from the most highly qualified pool will be invited to complete the second part. This suggests that even though a high percentage of people may be highly qualified, not everyone will be invited to participate. This goes for the interview selection process as well. Even though everyone may have a great statement of purpose, that does not mean that everyone will be invited to interview.

Last edited:
I just submitted my application. I was a little confused about that as well, but I believe we had to mention those things to support our past experiences in our personal statement. Such as coursework, work, voluntary experience, etc....

Yes, it is confusing but it still doesnt make sense from the way they worded the instructions. They clearly state that "there is a section for paid work and volunter work... there is a section for publications - do not include school papers." To me, this means that there is a form one has to fill out but who knows.

But from the email I read, it clearly states that the second part of the application process includes the statement of purpose, geographic area and contact information. Maybe they did not update the instructions part from the previous year?

Hey guys!

I just discovered this thread yesterday and have been a bit busy, sorry if a PM reponse took longer than expected. I just wanted to say congrats to those that have been invited to the next screening. The process feels super slow but it is worth it and you should feel good to have made it this far already.

I think that the next class will be ~150 so that is great. My class (2011) was only 65 and the the Class of 2012 is 100.

PHAP is an awesome program. I have really enjoyed my experience and will be graduating this upcoming May (they have a small graduation at headquarters in Atlanta). All of the associates are awesome and you'll get to meet many intelligent & passionate people throughout the fellowship.

I'll be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Just send me a PM and I'll post the response in the forum so everyone can see it and we are not repeating answers.

Please note that things change and my perspective will be unique to my experience and does not represent PHAP, CDC or HHS. The best resource for application questions is PHAP ([email protected]).

Good luck and I hope that all your public health aspirations come true!

Hi,
So question about the application. When I applied it asked me to choose the states that I would prefer, and then I also did the questioneer. I had a high NOR and did not receive an email asking for more information such as the location, or a statement. I saw last years application and it was very different than what I filled out. Did anyone else fill out a similar application....but not receive the second email?

Hi,
So question about the application. When I applied it asked me to choose the states that I would prefer, and then I also did the questioneer. I had a high NOR and did not receive an email asking for more information such as the location, or a statement. I saw last years application and it was very different than what I filled out. Did anyone else fill out a similar application....but not receive the second email?

I did not apply to the program last year. For this year, my experience with the application process has gone in this order:

1. Complete the 1st application on USA.gov (early Feb)
- Questionnaire, supporting documents and USA.gov Resume

2. Received confirmation that USA.gov application and documents received (mid Feb)

3. Received two NOR scores with a rating of 98 (late Feb)
- The statement clearly said that the score would be evaluated w/ my resume

4. Received a referral letter with an EL: Eligible Rating (early March)
- This letter told me that my application had been sent to the selection officer

5. Received an email for the PHAP asking me to complete the second half (mid march)
- This second half included a statement of purpose, contact and geographic questionnaire

6. Received an email that my application was complete and pending review. (late march)

....Since, there have been no correspondences and I am on pins and needles with excitement. I wish I knew more about the process and about how they rank the applicants. I really hope the statement of purpose and gpa don't count as much. eeerrrrrrr

Last edited:
Q: Thank you for taking out the time to answer our questions and ease our curiosity. I am curious about your background prior to PHAP (ie. undergrad major, prior ph experience, etc.); pretty much what you think made your application stand apart.

A: Associates come from a variety of backgrounds. At least for my class, majors varied from Poli Sci, Anthro, Env Health to Public Health. I majored in Public Health. I have conducted basic science genetics research for 7+ years (since H.S. and then a couple of years after graduating college). I have also conducted public health projects/research in the US and international settings. They varied in terms of length and complexity but one was with a grant and ~4yrs long (mainly during school breaks). I have also volunteered with several public health related organizations and held different leadership positions throughout college. I am not sure what specifically made me stand out I think that what I bring to the table is a variety of skills (qualitative to quantitative) and passion for the field. I had experience on the ground and knew what I wanted to get out of the experience. I think that having a basic science background was not as common and some associates had very little public health experience. Some had an international experience that made them decide that public health is what they wanted to do.

I think that associates come from a variety of backgrounds and what they have in common is a sense of service, curiosity and social awareness.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Anyone heard anything since the personal statement?

Haven't heard anything! Anyone know when we're supposed to hear? Also, does anyone know approx how many people applied and how many were asked to submit a personal statement? Just curious about numbers for each phase of the application process.

So glad i found this forus. I've been crying in silence because i did not receive any notification from CDC aside from the NOR from USA jobs back in february 25. Oh well, i guess was not referred to the hiring manager. Is there anyone else in my situation?

So glad i found this forus. I've been crying in silence because i did not receive any notification from CDC aside from the NOR from USA jobs back in february 25. Oh well, i guess was not referred to the hiring manager. Is there anyone else in my situation?
Yes, I have not heard anything too. I guess we just have to keep waiting and see. Does anyone know what how much longer we should expect to get some news before its too late?

Yes, I have not heard anything too. I guess we just have to keep waiting and see. Does anyone know what how much longer we should expect to get some news before its too late?

Guys, if you are referring to the invite to be asked to complete the second part of the application process (submit a statement of purpose) then I would have to say that the deadline passed about three weeks ago.

Myself and others, who were lucky enough to be invite to the second part, are now waiting on word of whether or not we will be invited to interview. Has anyone heard about an interview?!? The wait has been anxious for me :scared: lol . After reviewing past forums, many people had received updates around this time of April. Anyone been updated???

Guys, if you are referring to the invite to be asked to complete the second part of the application process (submit a statement of purpose) then I would have to say that the deadline passed about three weeks ago.

Myself and others, who were lucky enough to be invite to the second part, are now waiting on word of whether or not we will be invited to interview. Has anyone heard about an interview?!? The wait has been anxious for me :scared: lol . After reviewing past forums, many people had received updates around this time of April. Anyone been updated???

This is not true. Yes, they did invite people in March to be a part of the second round. However, I know people who got invited just yesterday to be a part of the second round and submit a personal statement. I think that they got so many applicants this year that they are being picky and looking at everyone in order to get the best candidates. Therefore, the rest of us are just going to have to be a little more patient this year as hard as that can be.

This is not true. Yes, they did invite people in March to be a part of the second round. However, I know people who got invited just yesterday to be a part of the second round and submit a personal statement. I think that they got so many applicants this year that they are being picky and looking at everyone in order to get the best candidates. Therefore, the rest of us are just going to have to be a little more patient this year as hard as that can be.

Thank you for that correction. Most of what's posted on this forum by everyone is opinion. I gave my opinion concerning the situation from the information I have received. There is no set guideline for the process per the CDC website.

It does not seem logical to me that they would set a SoP deadline for one group of applicants but then wait three weeks and invite another batch of applicants to apply. Especially when they said they'd inform us of interview decisions in April.

There are seven business days left in April, so that only gives this new batch of applicants one or two days to write a statement of purpose, have their applications reviewed and invited for an interview. Maybe the first batch did not meet their qualifications. I find that, also, hard to believe considering the best of the 4,000 applicants were invited to write the SoP.

Last edited:

I heard from one of our supervisors that they were reviewing the applications in batches. From what I remember she said that they asked for some first and would be asking for a second batch of PS next. It sounds like your friend was in the second batch.

I do not know specifics about the selection process but I can tell you that the process tends to be slow (specially with so many more apps) but it is definitelly worthwhile. Be patient and :luck:

I heard from one of our supervisors that they were reviewing the applications in batches. From what I remember she said that they asked for some first and would be asking for a second batch of PS next. It sounds like your friend was in the second batch.

I do not know specifics about the selection process but I can tell you that the process tends to be slow (specially with so many more apps) but it is definitelly worthwhile. Be patient and :luck:

do you have any idea when we would be invited for an interview or not? i'm leaving the country in mid may, so if there's any way to request to be seen before that if they were interested in me, i'd like to be able to get in touch with them. how can we contact HR? is there a phap HR department specifically?

do you have any idea when we would be invited for an interview or not? i'm leaving the country in mid may, so if there's any way to request to be seen before that if they were interested in me, i'd like to be able to get in touch with them. how can we contact HR? is there a phap HR department specifically?

You could always contact the program at [email protected]. Did they say not to contact them? Another option is to keep checking your e-mail for the interview invite and to explain the situation then. My class had a phone interview before the in-person interview.

It's been almost seven weeks now.. It really would be nice if they updated us. Anyone heard anything?

It's been almost seven weeks now.. It really would be nice if they updated us. Anyone heard anything?

I recently saw an announcement asking for reviewers, it sounds like they will be reviewing ~700 applications this week (probably from those that completed the different steps) and most likely notify selected applicants about interviews soon. I hope that you all hear soon, good luck!

I recently saw an announcement asking for reviewers, it sounds like they will be reviewing ~700 applications this week (probably from those that completed the different steps) and most likely notify selected applicants about interviews soon. I hope that you all hear soon, good luck!

It feels great to get some kind of update. Thank you for taking the time out to post here. I'm still feeling excited and nervous but this helps.

thank you for keeping us updated!

Happy to help. I know that it is hard to be patient but it will be worth your while. My class will be receiving their last training/graduation at headquarters next week so I know the PHAP team is working hard to organize everything. The CDC is an awesome organization and this is an incredible opportunity, I hope that you get to join the program!

Hey all, thanks so much for the updates! I, like everyone else, am waiting on pins and needles to hear back, but it helps to know what's going on. Hope to see everyone in Atlanta! :)

Same here,
I hope things work out for all of you. I feel like I've been waiting for yrs....:/ and being a History major in Undergrad is causing me to cringe when I see some of your guyses' credentials.
I hope they want variety in their selected applicants this year!
Good luck to all of you!
Glad to know all of you are as hungry as I am to improve/engage public health!

Hello All!

impermanence, have you happened to hear anything about the potential change in final notification date now especially since they seem to be so behind in notification? I am planning on pushing back a start date for a job so I could hear back about this fellowship but it doesn't look like they'll make the june notification time.

Hello All!

impermanence, have you happened to hear anything about the potential change in final notification date now especially since they seem to be so behind in notification? I am planning on pushing back a start date for a job so I could hear back about this fellowship but it doesn't look like they'll make the june notification time.

Hello Sip,

From what I've heard everything is moving along. They have already begun interviewing and are hoping to notify applicants about their acceptance at least 1 month before the beginning of their fellowship. I imagine that if selected you would be notified by July 1st. I think that most of my class was notified during the beginning of June, we also had associates being pulled from the wait-list at the last minute. I am sorry that I can't completely answer your question and hope that it works out. Some of my friends planned on going to grad school and then withdrew their acceptance once they heard from PHAP. Good luck!

Hello Sip,

From what I've heard everything is moving along. They have already begun interviewing and are hoping to notify applicants about their acceptance at least 1 month before the beginning of their fellowship. I imagine that if selected you would be notified by July 1st. I think that most of my class was notified during the beginning of June, we also had associates being pulled from the wait-list at the last minute. I am sorry that I can't completely answer your question and hope that it works out. Some of my friends planned on going to grad school and then withdrew their acceptance once they heard from PHAP. Good luck!

Thanks for the update impermanence!! Do you think they have already made their interview selections but have not updated the rest of us? It seems from the last six posts that no one, or at least the people commenting on this board, has been updated. Good luck to everyone!! Hopefully there will be good news soon!!! :)

Last edited:
Gosh I hope you're right. I read that they had started interviews and began freaking out a bit. I hope we'll hear either way next week, the waiting is so tough! Good luck everyone!

Hello Sip,

Dear impermanence,

This forum is being viewed by several people who have applied to this program this year and are waiting to learn whether or not they have been moved on to the next step in the application process. When you say things like "From what I've heard..." it sounds like you some information that you've gathered 'through the grapevine'.

Unless you can say that you got your information from a human resources officer who is directly involved in the interviewing process, please be careful with the type of information you post. You may, unintentionally, get people's hopes up or let people down, unnecessarily, with erroneous information.

To that point, IF THERE IS ANYONE 2013 APPLICANT WHO HAS RECEIVED A REQUEST FOR AN INTERVIEW INTO THE PROGRAM, PLEASE LET EVERYONE READING THIS FORUM KNOW. It would be nice to know whether anyone has actually been offered an interview yet and what they have learned from that leg of the process.

Dear impermanence,

This forum is being viewed by several people who have applied to this program this year and are waiting to learn whether or not they have been moved on to the next step in the application process. When you say things like "From what I've heard..." it sounds like you some information that you've gathered 'through the grapevine'.

Unless you can say that you got your information from a human resources officer who is directly involved in the interviewing process, please be careful with the type of information you post. You may, unintentionally, get people's hopes up or let people down, unnecessarily, with erroneous information.

To that point, IF THERE IS ANYONE 2013 APPLICANT WHO HAS RECEIVED A REQUEST FOR AN INTERVIEW INTO THE PROGRAM, PLEASE LET EVERYONE READING THIS FORUM KNOW. It would be nice to know whether anyone has actually been offered an interview yet and what they have learned from that leg of the process.

Respectful you should remember that impermanence is writing from their experience as a current PHAP! They have already stated that things may or may not have changed since their class!

True enough I too got nervous when I read that from what they heard the interview process had started, but again this is just from THEIR KNOWLEDGE. impermanence has been kind enough to update use to the best of their ability a long the long waiting process; they should be attacked the second we hear something we don't like. The updates here are given & shared with everyone freely. Take the good with the bad.

If anyone hears from HR about interviewing for the 2013 class I'm pretty sure they will share as they have through the whole process....I sure will!

Good luck though! I'm am still waiting myself! Remember impermanence is just trying to help
and update us all when there is currently no offical update available from the PHAP office. :)

Respectful you should remember that impermanence is writing from their experience as a current PHAP! They have already stated that things may or may not have changed since their class!

True enough I too got nervous when I read that from what they heard the interview process had started, but again this is just from THEIR KNOWLEDGE. impermanence has been kind enough to update use to the best of their ability a long the long waiting process; they should be attacked the second we hear something we don't like. The updates here are given & shared with everyone freely. Take the good with the bad.

If anyone hears from HR about interviewing for the 2013 class I'm pretty sure they will share as they have through the whole process....I sure will!

Good luck though! I'm am still waiting myself! Remember impermanence is just trying to help
and update us all when there is currently no offical update available from the PHAP office. :)
With all due respect to you, Impermanence is not only speaking from his experience in the program. He is now making statements about what is going on now, in the selection process. If he wants to speak about what he went through when he applied, that's totally fine. To make statements that may or may not be true, just for the sake of providing an "update" for this forum, is totally inappropriate.

IF this individual has some role in the current process, then he should share. If not, personal opinions or hearsay about what is currently going on should be discouraged.

And at this point, I still don't see anyone stating that they have gotten an interview request. That would be more helpful than pure speculation.

Be blessed!

With all due respect to you, Impermanence is not only speaking from his experience in the program. He is now making statements about what is going on now, in the selection process. If he wants to speak about what he went through when he applied, that's totally fine. To make statements that may or may not be true, just for the sake of providing an "update" for this forum, is totally inappropriate.

IF this individual has some role in the current process, then he should share. If not, personal opinions or hearsay about what is currently going on should be discouraged.

And at this point, I still don't see anyone stating that they have gotten an interview request. That would be more helpful than pure speculation.

Be blessed!

I am going to refrain from commenting as much and just wait it out until there's an official update. I will say that I agree with dee1987's comment and would also like to thank Impermanence for her advice. Remember, we SOLICITED her for advice and she was nice enough to take time out of her schedule to provide us a response.

Her response may not have been an undeniable fact but we understood that going in. The purpose for many signing on to this forum is to discuss opinion because the information may not be available.

For example, if the CDC posted an exact deadline for notifications then I don't think many of us would be seeking a reply for impermanence. Additionally, if there was an exact selection process on the CDC site, then I think that would defeat the purpose of seeking advice from impermanence as to how the process went for her. She has already made it to where we are trying to be, so she really is doing us a favor. Besides, no one else has volunteered information.

Ending, sorry so long, everyone is on pins and needles because we all want this opportunity. Speculative information may not be helpful for some at this time, but if that's the case, then you probably shouldn't be on this forum to begin with. It probably would be best to wait for official updates. Hopefully, everyone one of us, that is, who has stalked this board (lol) will get an opportunity to interview.

An anxious heart is a dangerous thing. Trust yourselves and stay positive. I too have been on pins and needles and I take no greater joy than in uplifting you all as my fellow peers. We must not be discouraged.

But let us enjoy our wait and keep looking elsewhere just in case PHAP doesn't work out. In the end, what you wanted to do in life will hold much less importance than what you actually did.

Don't waste time worrying. Channel it somewhere productive.

I say this out of love and the utmost respect for all of you.
I too am waiting to hear back.:/

Best wishes,
Omar

I have to agree with and commend attallaborn here. Impermanence is just trying to help and has been very generous with their time offering to answer any questions we have. Whether the information is accurate or not is the major issue here. Maybe they have started interviews maybe they have not, but either way Impermanence was just trying to keep up in the loop and is taking time out of their day to do so.

I know this process is extremely nerve wracking and there is nothing harder (for me at least) to just sit at home and wait for my phone to ring. The whole job search post-graduation has been extremely trying for me, to say the least and it is hard to remain calm with this wonderful opportunity being dangled in front of me. That being said this forum is all about opinion, good, bad or otherwise and everyone is entitled to their own. Personally, I appreciate any kind of update that I can get my hands on. Good luck to everyone, and I hope the waiting ends soon for all of us!

An anxious heart is a dangerous thing. Trust yourselves and stay positive. I too have been on pins and needles and I take no greater joy than in uplifting you all as my fellow peers. We must not be discouraged.

But let us enjoy our wait and keep looking elsewhere just in case PHAP doesn't work out. In the end, what you wanted to do in life will hold much less importance than what you actually did.

Don't waste time worrying. Channel it somewhere productive.

I say this out of love and the utmost respect for all of you.
I too am waiting to hear back.:/

Best wishes,
Omar
Thanks Omar, and I genuinely hope we all get the chance to meet in Atlanta and give each other a pat on the back for surviving the wait with a smile on our faces :)

I have to agree with and commend attallaborn here. Impermanence is just trying to help and has been very generous with their time offering to answer any questions we have. Whether the information is accurate or not is the major issue here. Maybe they have started interviews maybe they have not, but either way Impermanence was just trying to keep up in the loop and is taking time out of their day to do so.

I know this process is extremely nerve wracking and there is nothing harder (for me at least) to just sit at home and wait for my phone to ring. The whole job search post-graduation has been extremely trying for me, to say the least and it is hard to remain calm with this wonderful opportunity being dangled in front of me. That being said this forum is all about opinion, good, bad or otherwise and everyone is entitled to their own. Personally, I appreciate any kind of update that I can get my hands on. Good luck to everyone, and I hope the waiting ends soon for all of us!
I'm so glad that everyone is generally so positive here that's why I love coming to this bored! And I don't feel so alone.

I too have had an extremely hard time find career level work where I can apply my skills and grow! More than a few opportunities have fallen through due to program budgets or now requiring masters degrees for once entry level work. The PHAP is a rear program and I really want to be a part of it so yes I'm waiting and waiting but I'm also glad that I get to work paid and unpaid applying my skills while I wait. I believe that we'll all be excellent PHAP fellows. Lets do our best not worry....all positive vibes!

I hope to see EVERYONE in Atlanta training to be excellent public health fellows!

SN: if I hear anything ANYTHING I'll post it here ASAP good luck guys :)

*i hope this post is all correct ugh writing from my phone!!

I was contacted via e-mail by someone at the CDC to set up a phone interview! The interview time slots I had to choose from were today through the end of next week.

I was contacted via e-mail by someone at the CDC to set up a phone interview! The interview time slots I had to choose from were today through the end of next week.

IM SO HAPPY TO HEAR THIS!!! Congratulations & good luck!! Knock it out the park! :)

congrats! i was also contacted for an interview this morning! my timeframe is rather short, next monday - wednesday. oh how should i prepare for this?

Hi all, I just googled the program and this forum popped up!

I was also contacted this morning. I am in the LA area and I received the email around 8:30am pacific time. Apparently there were 4,400 applicants and those who made it to the interview are among the top 10%. So I'm guessing there will be ~440 applicants fighting for the 133 spots.

Aw..well congrats to everyone who was chosen for an interview! You all are going to be awesome!

Update: So it turns out I actually got selected for an interview?! I checked my status and it said I was selected but I never got a scheduling email.
I did however get this email:

You should have received a call or e-mail to schedule an interview. If you have not, please contact PHAP Staff at [email protected] with a subject "Final Interview".

Please do not reply to this e-mail. This e-mail address is not monitored.

I emailed them, but still have not gotten a response. Did this happen to anyone else?

I live in Maryland by the way

Last edited:

I was also contacted this morning. I am in the LA area and I received the email around 8:30am pacific time. Apparently there were 4,400 applicants and those who made it to the interview are among the top 10%. So I'm guessing there will be ~440 applicants fighting for the 133 spots.

I am in LA as well I got my email around that time as well! Don't focus on the number of people interviewing (at least I'm trying not to) I'm an excited and nervous but we ALL will do well and deliver at our interviews!

I have also been contacted, did anyone else receive this email?

You should have received a call or e-mail to schedule an interview. If you have not, please contact PHAP Staff at [email protected] with a subject "Final Interview".

Hi guys!! I said I would post here ASAP! So I was given an opportunity to interview next week (in person) ill definitely tell you guys how it goes!

Good luck! :)

Hi guys, Congrats to those that received an interview! Wish you all luck!! I am in the DC area and have not received an interview request, for those that received an email was it a mass email or individual? Do you guys think they might still be sending these emails? thanks!