2013 Public Health Associate Program (PHAP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, Congrats to those that received an interview! Wish you all luck!! I am in the DC area and have not received an interview request, for those that received an email was it a mass email or individual? Do you guys think they might still be sending these emails? thanks!
Hi Mercedes,

I am not sure if it was a mass email or not, but you should check the status of your application. I received an email, then checked the status of my application. Here is the link, https://wwwn.cdc.gov/FMS/phap/app/ . Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I will check my status, good luck to you as well!

Hi guys, Congrats to those that received an interview! Wish you all luck!! I am in the DC area and have not received an interview request, for those that received an email was it a mass email or individual? Do you guys think they might still be sending these emails? thanks!

I have also been contacted, did anyone else receive this email?

You should have received a call or e-mail to schedule an interview. If you have not, please contact PHAP Staff at [email protected] with a subject "Final Interview".

I received the email to interview but I just checked the FMS site and my status still hasn't been updated yet. Is this the case for anybody else?

I believe the person who contacted me directly via email will be the one conducting the interview (LA area) and each interviewer will be contacting their area separately? I think the best is to just wait until you get an official update.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Aw..well congrats to everyone who was chosen for an interview! You all are going to be awesome!

Update: So it turns out I actually got selected for an interview?! I checked my status and it said I was selected but I never got a scheduling email.
I did however get this email:

You should have received a call or e-mail to schedule an interview. If you have not, please contact PHAP Staff at [email protected] with a subject "Final Interview".

Please do not reply to this e-mail. This e-mail address is not monitored.

I emailed them, but still have not gotten a response. Did this happen to anyone else?

I live in Maryland by the way
I received the same e-mail and followed its prompt. When I checked my FMS account it prompted me to write something else in the subject field. I do not know if I should send a duplicate e-mail with this subject heading to make sure I cover all of my bases. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, what did you do and have you heard back?

P.S Congratulations to everyone that has heard, and although others may not have heard anything yet I would not get discouraged because your e-mail could be coming at a later time or date. We do not know if they are sending e-mails to certain areas at specific times so just stay positive!

Hi Justin,

I think you definately hit it on the head, I received a phone call today for a face-to-face interview next week. I am extremely anxious, I know we well all do well. I will update you all on the interview process as well.

Checked my status and it says I have been selected for interview, subject line they asked for was "Face to Face" interview. I sent them an email but have not gotten a response yet either.

Hi Everybody! :)

I too have been reading each and every post like a creepy internet stalker, while waiting on pins and needles for an update from the CDC. I was just contacted via telephone for an in person interview next Thursday in Manhattan. I just checked my PHAP account which was updated to reflect this status change. But I did not receive a follow up email. Just the phone call.

They called me right after I pulled my blasting earbuds out of my ears, on my way home from a CVS nail polish run. Perfect timing--as I never hear phone calls when my ipod is on.

But I digress...

Good luck to all those that have been selected as well! :luck: And I hope everyone else hears back soon! Keep your phones close and on ring, lol. :laugh:

I received the same e-mail and followed its prompt. When I checked my FMS account it prompted me to write something else in the subject field. I do not know if I should send a duplicate e-mail with this subject heading to make sure I cover all of my bases. Did this happen to anyone else? If so, what did you do and have you heard back?

P.S Congratulations to everyone that has heard, and although others may not have heard anything yet I would not get discouraged because your e-mail could be coming at a later time or date. We do not know if they are sending e-mails to certain areas at specific times so just stay positive!
SocialButterfly,
Same deal with me, no response yet.

invited to interview! but the same e-mail as someone else - i was asked to get in touch with them via e-mail about setting up an interview. i'm in the metro NYC area so my guess is i will be seeing someone in the city.

YAYYYYYY i have literally been having the worst week ever and this made me incredibly happy. i started shaking when i read the e-mail

Hehe!! I had a small tear lol!!

Did anyone get a pertiular person and email address to email back? I did

invited to interview! but the same e-mail as someone else - i was asked to get in touch with them via e-mail about setting up an interview. i'm in the metro NYC area so my guess is i will be seeing someone in the city.

YAYYYYYY i have literally been having the worst week ever and this made me incredibly happy. i started shaking when i read the e-mail

I live in the NYC area too! Brooklyn to be exact. My interview location is at a hotel near Times Square, scheduled for next Thursday. I got a phone call and and set up the interview over the phone. Since you're in a similar location, I would think we're interviewing at a similar time and place, maybe by the same people. :) Cool hearing from someone else on the East Coast. :cool:

I am in LA as well I got my email around that time as well! Don't focus on the number of people interviewing (at least I'm trying not to) I'm an excited and nervous but we ALL will do well and deliver at our interviews!

Awesome! Hope to see you there! Do you go to school in LA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in the NYC area too! Brooklyn to be exact. My interview location is at a hotel near Times Square, scheduled for next Thursday. I got a phone call and and set up the interview over the phone. Since you're in a similar location, I would think we're interviewing at a similar time and place, maybe by the same people. :) Cool hearing from someone else on the East Coast. :cool:

yes, actually! thursday morning at a hotel by times square. i believe we'll see the same people. i got a call after sending my e-mail. they're not group interviews, are they?

yes, actually! thursday morning at a hotel by times square. i believe we'll see the same people. i got a call after sending my e-mail. they're not group interviews, are they?
I'll also be interviewing in New York, it didn't sound like they were group interviews.

I believe we are being interviewed individually as I was given a choice between two interview time slots that were two hours apart. I wonder how many people will be there. I need to find something to wear now, lol. :confused:

Hi everyone, this seems like the New York crew :). I'm from Long Island my interview is Wednesday morning in Times Square.

I discovered this board when I googled "phap cdc" this afternoon. It's great to see so much enthusiasm for careers in public health:)

I've worked in various positions for the federal government for 13 years, so I can explain the NOR in a little greater detail. Most GS federal jobs use this system: rating is determined by combination of stated work experience, answers to KSAs/supplemental questions, and veteran's preference. Maximum rating is 110. 10 point veteran preference must be referred for selection regardless of score if minimum selection criteria are otherwise met. So what's a good rating? Totally depends on how many people applied and how well qualified they were. Scores of less than 70 generally don't get referred to the selecting official, and high scores that do get referred get tossed out if there is any indication that the applicant inflated their credentials or just flat out lied. The competition for positions with the CDC is stiff: the pay is miserable but there are a ton of super qualified applicants anyway. My opinion only, but I doubt that any PHAP applicants with ratings less than 90 get referred for further selection. And with 4400 applicants, many of those with ratings in the 90's probably didn't get referred either unless they had significant public health work experience or extremely compelling goals statements.

My rating, with 10 point veterans preference, was 103. I was selected to submit a goals statement, and today I received an email for a telephone interview on May 20. And then I received a subsequent email from my interviewer indicating that her schedule had been changed,that she will be visiting Los Angeles next week, and that I will be scheduled for an in person interview.

What made me stick out among the thousands of applicants? I'm guessing a combination of my work experience/point of view/age, and they are all interlinked. The people who were born when I was a college freshman graduated from college last year:eek: And after decades in the work force, you develop pretty strong opinions about what you really want to work on and what you don't, and won't hesitate to make blunt statements about your objectives when asked:naughty: I believe absolutely in the dignity and value of humanity, but I'm not a relentless optimist about our future prospects either. It's not a point of view that will be universally popular, but it is a defined point of view, and I stick with it. I'm sure that this came across in my essay, and I'm sure it was to my benefit. The ability to make, and stand behind, unpopular decisions is a must have for anyone who wants to work in public health long term. To thine own self be true: didn't really work so great for Hamlet, but has worked for me so far in the selection process:luck:

To all those who weren't selected for further consideration: don't give up:thumbup: It's strictly a numbers game: apply frequently enough for positions for which you are qualified and you will eventually land a public health job or fellowship Even with a MPH and 10 years work experience in the field, I am having difficulty in getting a new position, which is why I applied for PHAP. Peace and luck to all in their PHAP endeavors:love:

i enjoyed reading your post. Thank you for sharing. Good luck to everyone interviewing next week

I have not received an email and on the FMS page my application is still in review. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have not received an email and on the FMS page my application is still in review. Anyone else experiencing this?

I'd say give it more time. You never know they might be interviewing in phases! Either way best of luck to you!

You rock! :)

SocialButterfly,
Same deal with me, no response yet.

Have any of you who received this email heard anything back?? I received the same email. My profile says I have been selected to interview and I received the email to notify them (had I not received an official email) and I notified them but I haven't heard anything back.

Congrats to those who have been selected to interview. I am so excited and it is such an honor!! Regardless of who is selected, the public will benefit from the objective of this program. Hopefully I will get to see you guys in Atlanta. I will be the one holding the 'attallaborn' sign.. lol

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I applied for this program in February and received an email stating that I was eligible. Yesterday I received an email stating that I had been selected for a Face-to Face interview. I am currently waiting on the interview coordinators to call (or send an email) to schedule an interview. Congrats to everyone that was selected, Godd luck on the interview!!:)

I just set up an in-person interview with someone from the CDC for next week. :D

ETA: I got the email saying to contact them if I hadn't been contacted already. I replied yesterday as soon as I got it and the lady called me today.

Hey guys my interview is offically set for next week! Good luck to everyone! Show your passion (I know we ALL have tones I've seen it just from being a part of this forum these mons.)

My whole interview was set up via email (if anyone wanted to know)

Chow guys lets knock our interviews out the park!! :)

Hey everyone!

If anyone's up (interview prep etc) I got to email another former PHAP and he was kind enough to offer me some insight for the interviews.
He said have "SMART stories" (google it) for thing on your résumé (they leaned this tip in his PHAP training he said)
Be he said it was most important to let your personality and passion show because most people may have great education and background but it means nothing if your not personable.

Lastly, he said just be yourself and be honest with them and I (WE) should be fine!
Hope that can help everyone it helped me!!

Again good luck EVERYONE! I hope we all meet in Atlanta

Anyone in the Seattle area heard anything about their interview? I got an initial email from someone but they changed the interviewer and I haven't had anyone else contact me.

Anyways, good luck to everyone. I'm sure you'll all to great!

Hey everyone!

If anyone's up (interview prep etc) I got to email another former PHAP and he was kind enough to offer me some insight for the interviews.
He said have "SMART stories" (google it) for thing on your résumé (they leaned this tip in his PHAP training he said)
Be he said it was most important to let your personality and passion show because most people may have great education and background but it means nothing if your not personable.

Lastly, he said just be yourself and be honest with them and I (WE) should be fine!
Hope that can help everyone it helped me!!

Again good luck EVERYONE! I hope we all meet in Atlanta
Thank you so much! good luck

Smart stories? Ok, thank you for that.
Has anyone from Atlanta been contacted or scheduled?

I emailed my "face to face "interview and got a reply saying I would be contacted soon. I have not been notified of an interview time yet. Is anyone else in that situation?

Hi all,

I came across this message board when I was googling information to prepare for my interview and I have some information that you all may like to know and some of it has already been mentioned in previous posts--so I apologize for the repeat.

Over 4,400 people applied and after reading resumes and looking at scores from the questions asked on the application the field was narrowed down to 1,000 candidates---these are the ones that gave personal statements. From the 1,000 personal statements 500 are being interviewed to fill approximately 133 positions for the 2013 class.

In June we will receive notification if we have been selected for one of the 133 positions and class members will report to their host site on July 28th and then goto Atlanta the first full week of August for training.

My interview was by phone and was 6 questions, 3 personal and 3 situational.

Good luck all, here is to being a more apt applicant that 367 others.

Hi all,

I came across this message board when I was googling information to prepare for my interview and I have some information that you all may like to know and some of it has already been mentioned in previous posts--so I apologize for the repeat.

Over 4,400 people applied and after reading resumes and looking at scores from the questions asked on the application the field was narrowed down to 1,000 candidates---these are the ones that gave personal statements. From the 1,000 personal statements 500 are being interviewed to fill approximately 133 positions for the 2013 class.

In June we will receive notification if we have been selected for one of the 133 positions and class members will report to their host site on July 28th and then goto Atlanta the first full week of August for training.

Do you have the link to where you found this info? It would be really appreciated!
Good Luck Everyone!

No link, no website. I had my interview this morning and I asked about the process/applicants/odds and this is what my interviewer had told me.

Smart stories? Ok, thank you for that.
Has anyone from Atlanta been contacted or scheduled?

I emailed my "face to face "interview and got a reply saying I would be contacted soon. I have not been notified of an interview time yet. Is anyone else in that situation?

I am in the same situation. I received an email on 5/16 stating that I should have received a call or email about an interview and that I should email phap if I hadn't (with subject line "Final Interview." I checked the status of my application and it said I had been invited to interview and if I have not been called or emailed, to email pahp (with subject line "Face-to-Face Interview." I emailed them with "final interview" and they said I should be contacted shortly...

Good luck everyone! I graduated two days ago and am still awaiting anxiously for the scheduling of the interview...

Hi all,

You stated you were asked 6 questions. Do you remember what those questions were and can you share them?

Thanks

I think the 3 personal questions are standard interview questions i.e. why are you interested, what influenced you to apply, what are your short and long term goals.

as for scenario questions i think they will differ upon your background and experience and for my own self-interest i don't want to share.

Hi all,

Hello all, Im from the DC area, I have a Master's in Public Health graduated, this past january, i have applied to the PHAP program, and I have my face to face set for this thursday, I am extremely nervous for I do not want this opportunity to pass me for it is hard to get a job with out any experience, but my question for grapes504 is can you remember the 3 personal and 3 situational questions you were asked? im trying to prepare as best i can:confused:

Last edited:
Hello all, Im from the DC area, I have a Master's in Public Health graduated, this past january, i have applied to the PHAP program, and I have my face to face set for this thursday, I am extremely nervous for I do not want this opportunity to pass me for it is hard to get a job with out any experience, but my question for grapes504 is can you remember the 3 personal and 3 situational questions you were asked? im trying to prepare as best i can:confused:

I think GRAPES504 has provided an adequate amount of information. Anything more and it would jeopardize the chances of everyone else who have gone before you. We all want this opportunity; and yes, it was helpful for everyone to share information before interviews began. But now, it would be unfair for some to get interview questions when the rest of us had to prepare the old fashion way.

Being said, I had my interview last night and I know exactly which questions where asked. They were tough, so why would I tell you which questions were asked, so that you can formulate the perfect answer? Guys sharing is OK but telling someone the interview answers is a bit much. My interviewer said she will be interviewing 30 more people in the MA area in the next week. That will include people from Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston University, etc. Do we really need to feed them the interview questions?? Really??

I think GRAPES504 has provided an adequate amount of information. Anything more and it would jeopardize the chances of everyone else who have gone before you. We all want this opportunity; and yes, it was helpful for everyone to share information before interviews began. But now, it would be unfair for some to get interview questions when the rest of us had to prepare the old fashion way.

Being said, I had my interview last night and I know exactly which questions where asked. They were tough, so why would I tell you which questions were asked, so that you can formulate the perfect answer? Guys sharing is OK but telling someone the interview answers is a bit much. My interviewer said she will be interviewing 30 more people in the MA area in the next week. That will include people from Harvard, MIT, Boston College, Boston University, etc. Do we really need to feed them the interview questions?? Really??

sounds like you need to relax. even if we know the questions beforehand, it's not like you can answer adequately without having meaningful experiences and your own stories. my answer to the very same question you were asked could simply be better because i handled it better or my situation was more unique. you are here on this forum to (presumably) get information about how to best prepare. it's silly to assume that no one else is going to ask for help or for information. sharing questions is not the same as sharing answers, which is what you seem to think people are asking for.

if you prepared enough, you should help others prepare. spread the love. they have jobs for us in mind and if you're not a good fit, you aren't getting it anyway.

good luck to the rest of us waiting to interview!

sounds like you need to relax. even if we know the questions beforehand, it's not like you can answer adequately without having meaningful experiences and your own stories. my answer to the very same question you were asked could simply be better because i handled it better or my situation was more unique. you are here on this forum to (presumably) get information about how to best prepare. it's silly to assume that no one else is going to ask for help or for information. sharing questions is not the same as sharing answers, which is what you seem to think people are asking for.

if you prepared enough, you should help others prepare. spread the love. they have jobs for us in mind and if you're not a good fit, you aren't getting it anyway.

good luck to the rest of us waiting to interview!

yes rednailpolish, if you can help others why not, you made a valid point. it seems to me that 'attallaborn" is being a bit selfish, what GOD has in store for you is yours, if I don't get a heads up on the questions before hand, i will let you all know about the questions after my interview. Im not a selfish individual by far.

yes rednailpolish, if you can help others why not, you made a valid point. it seems to me that 'attallaborn" is being a bit selfish, what GOD has in store for you is yours, if I don't get a heads up on the questions before hand, i will let you all know about the questions after my interview. Im not a selfish individual by far.

it's certainly a personal choice whether or not to share the questions you were asked, but to say that we shouldn't ask or that others shouldn't share is another thing

Very valid point. My interviewer hinted at yesterday that the next round of cuts will be based mostly off our interviews. He said that all of us at this stage are already very well qualified and they wanted to start off this round with an even playing field. Just my impressions, I didn't get a chance to clarify.

Very valid point. My interviewer hinted at yesterday that the next round of cuts will be based mostly off our interviews. He said that all of us at this stage are already very well qualified and they wanted to start off this round with an even playing field. Just my impressions, I didn't get a chance to clarify.

Exactly, people may see it as something is not but everyone has an opinion. My interviewer said something similar. He said that the interview, at this point, was the most important part and that it weighs a great deal more points than everything else we have done at this stage. Call me whatever but I'd like to have an even playing field at this point myself. I personally feel those waiting would have an advantage with a set of preselected interview questions because essentially, we all have similar qualifications. Guys, lets keep the interview questions to ourselves until next year when a new group of candidates will PM us for insight into the process.

Posting interview questions is extremely unethical and would only be hurting your own interests. I believe in helping one another out, however, helping someone essentially cheat is entirely different. Lets all just hope for one another to have the same interview experience, a great one! That at the end of the day you can feel proud about because you didn't have to cheat to get your way in.

Reality check: this is a competition for the available spots in the program. There’s no logical reason for those interviewed early in the process to give up their competitive advantage by sharing the interview questions. If they share, the later interviewers have the advantage. If they don't share, everyone is on equal footing. And if someone did actually post a detailed list of questions before the interviews were over, I would take the information with a grain of salt: the questions could be real, but they could also be red herrings posted to lead the readers astray and increase the selection odds of the poster. Sorry if this sounds cynical, but you can’t just go through life assuming that everyone is going to play fairly and have your best interests in mind. A little bit of skepticism is a good thing.

And to those who really truly believe that they need the questions ahead of time so that they can prepare and be successful in the interview, why even bother showing up? You will probably just end up sounding phony and over-rehearsed, which will be to your detriment. In the real world, no one is going to be there to feed you the difficult questions ahead of time. If you don’t already have some confidence and belief in your abilities to think and react quickly, your public health career is probably going to be brutally short.

At this point, the odds of being selected for entry into this PHAP cohort are actually way better than they were for entry into my veterinary school class. Vet school is incredibly difficult because there are only 27 accredited schools. PHAP: 500/133=3.8. UW-Madison : 540/78=6.9. Good luck to all those who were offered an interview. May the odds forever be in your favor. And no, we shouldn’t all try to kill each other off like the contestants in The Hunger Games.

At this point, the odds of being selected for entry into this PHAP cohort are actually way better than they were for entry into my veterinary school class. Vet school is incredibly difficult because there are only 27 accredited schools. PHAP: 500/133=3.8. UW-Madison : 540/78=6.9. Good luck to all those who were offered an interview. May the odds forever be in your favor. And no, we shouldn’t all try to kill each other off like the contestants in The Hunger Games.

I think your math is backwards but, very true nevertheless.
PHAP: 133/500=0.266 UW-Madison : 78/540=0.144

Reality check: this is a competition for the available spots in the program. There's no logical reason for those interviewed early in the process to give up their competitive advantage by sharing the interview questions. If they share, the later interviewers have the advantage. If they don't share, everyone is on equal footing. And if someone did actually post a detailed list of questions before the interviews were over, I would take the information with a grain of salt: the questions could be real, but they could also be red herrings posted to lead the readers astray and increase the selection odds of the poster. Sorry if this sounds cynical, but you can't just go through life assuming that everyone is going to play fairly and have your best interests in mind. A little bit of skepticism is a good thing.

And to those who really truly believe that they need the questions ahead of time so that they can prepare and be successful in the interview, why even bother showing up? You will probably just end up sounding phony and over-rehearsed, which will be to your detriment. In the real world, no one is going to be there to feed you the difficult questions ahead of time. If you don't already have some confidence and belief in your abilities to think and react quickly, your public health career is probably going to be brutally short.

At this point, the odds of being selected for entry into this PHAP cohort are actually way better than they were for entry into my veterinary school class. Vet school is incredibly difficult because there are only 27 accredited schools. PHAP: 500/133=3.8. UW-Madison : 540/78=6.9. Good luck to all those who were offered an interview. May the odds forever be in your favor. And no, we shouldn't all try to kill each other off like the contestants in The Hunger Games.

"And no, we shouldn't all try to kill each other off like the contestants in The Hunger Games"

- Bahaha, that was hilarious. But I see nothing wrong with taking out the dude down the street that scored a 100 on his NOR score.

Last edited:
Just an update - I received an email saying that they were going to be conducting interviews in MD on May 28-31. I scheduled it for Friday May 31st and they called me back saying that the CDC wanted to finish these interviews by Wednesday, May 29th so I had to change mine to a phone interview since I will not be back in MD yet.

I had my face to face interview in maryland yesterday. Know yourself and why you are in this field. Relax and let your personality shine. At this point I am just praying and crossing my fingers that my light shined bright like a diamond. :D:oops::p

Last edited: