2014-2015 APPIC (internship) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is about the time of year when people start working on internship essays, creating site lists, etc, so here's a thread for those of you who are applying for internship this year to discuss the process and application-related questions and issues. It's not fun at all, to say the least, but people do get through it. Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for creating this!

One question I have is whether people have found a good way to search for sites. I am aware of the APPIC directory, but the way the search function is set up makes it difficult to find programs that might be a good match. The "keywords" search does not seem to work well, and some of my interests are not represented in the "training opportunities" options. I'm debating going through every site within any area of the country where I would be willing to live, but it would be nice to find a better way to go about this.

One question I have is whether people have found a good way to search for sites. I am aware of the APPIC directory, but the way the search function is set up makes it difficult to find programs that might be a good match. The "keywords" search does not seem to work well, and some of my interests are not represented in the "training opportunities" options. I'm debating going through every site within any area of the country where I would be willing to live, but it would be nice to find a better way to go about this.

Furthermore, some sites (including APA-accredited one) aren't even listed in the directory. When I was looking to apply, I was trying to find sites working with a specialized population not listed as search option in the directory. So I actually Googled something like "APA internship + [the population I wanted work with]" and I ended up finding an APA-accredited program that doesn't list its information. Actually, I ended up matching at that site so I'm glad I looked beyond the directory :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I love Daria!

Hi guys,
Is three months too short of a time to ask for a letter of recommendation from a supervisor?
Thanks!

Hi guys,
Is three months too short of a time to ask for a letter of recommendation from a supervisor?
Thanks!

Better to asks early rather than wait until the deadline is approaching. Once the Portal is opened up, your reference will then be able to submit your reference online.

Some faculty write brief form type references and others are more lengthy and personalized. Some will write the letter of reference and allow you to review it before they submit whereas others will not. Some will let you write the letter and they will review and edit it before signing and submitting. It is good to have six to eight references to submit to different sites.

It is good to get references from each of your practicum site supervisors. It is important to asks if they will write a positive reference in behalf of your application.

I have reviewed some LOR that are very poorly completed where a form template is used and sometime they forget to change the name in the body of the reference or other mistakes. They use the same reference letter for everyone but change the names and forget to change all the details.

It is better to have references from faculty and supervisors who have known you for two or more years.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe that it's already time for this thread to start! I am applying this year and am simultaneously excited for the prospect of going on internship, but dreading the actual process of applying. Glad to have this thread and the other applicants here for support.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently trying to do my list and was wondering if anyone knows when the APPIC directory is updated?

I am currently trying to do my list and was wondering if anyone knows when the APPIC directory is updated?

I think it is around July 15th. But sites vary, and some will make edits to their profiles all the way through September or even October (usually minor edits at this point however).

Yeah, it's definitely updated by the time the portal opens (which was late July last year).

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I don't think I have ever received such quick responses. I have several questions that I was wondering about:
  1. What are the topics/questions for the essays? Approx how long should responses be?
  2. I am applying to VAs mostly. I noticed most sites don't have a requirement for integrated assessment reports, but the reported hi/lo numbers are freaking me out! I had to wait till this year to do my assessment prac so I have 800 ind/gp/client consult/DA hours which is great! But I certainly can't compete with the numbers by app date. Thoughts? I have many other ways that I am a fit such as EBTs, trauma, PTSD, SMI, etc...and I am prior military. Just concerned about this one little piece.
  3. What are the most important criteria for selecting sites to apply to? I am not geographically restricted.
Thanks

They'll give you the questions once the portal opens, no more than 500 words. As for the VA's, they'll generally look at the applications as a whole, so you can balance some things out, but a very low number of assessment hours and few integrated reports will hurt a little. And, the most important criteria is your fit with the program.

Agree with WisNeuro--if you have a low # of assessment hours and integrated reports, it might ding you a bit, but I've certainly seen folks ranked highly despite that particular issue (caveat: unless you're neuropsych, in which case it's a potential red flag). Being prior military should almost universally help you with the VA spots.

As for site criteria, again as WisNeuro mentioned, fit with the program is paramount. More specifically, do they offer the training opportunities you need and want, both to help further develop any specialty interests as well as shore up any potential weaknesses you might have? Do they see the types of folks and use/offer the types of treatments you've worked with in the past and/or want to work with in the future? Are they doing any research in which you're interested? Will they help prepare and make you competitive for post-doc (if that's in the cards)? Bonus points: is the setting similar to one in which you'd like to work in the future?

Last edited:
Well I don't think I have ever received such quick responses. I have several questions that I was wondering about:
  1. What are the topics/questions for the essays? Approx how long should responses be?
  2. I am applying to VAs mostly. I noticed most sites don't have a requirement for integrated assessment reports, but the reported hi/lo numbers are freaking me out! I had to wait till this year to do my assessment prac so I have 800 ind/gp/client consult/DA hours which is great! But I certainly can't compete with the numbers by app date. Thoughts? I have many other ways that I am a fit such as EBTs, trauma, PTSD, SMI, etc...and I am prior military. Just concerned about this one little piece.
  3. What are the most important criteria for selecting sites to apply to? I am not geographically restricted.
Thanks

I can tell you that I ended up getting interviews at several VAs and matching at one, with 150 assessment hours and about 30 integrated reports.

Last edited:
keep in mind the highs and lows are going to be the extremes and are probably not reflective of actual cutoffs which can be indicated elsewhere in the profile

At this stage it is better not to obsess about hours or sites and you will be glad later if you do work now on the basics of an autobiographical statement and description of your theoretical model/approach to treatment and cultural diversity experience. You may want to look at some sites to get a feeling for how/where "fit" will be good, but save that for later and do the grinding work of defining who you are at this stage in your training and what you are looking for in internship. Making time to write, re-write, edit, reflect, procrastinate, rinse and repeat will lead to a better set of essays when the time comes. Filling in the hours is tedious and in some ways less anxiety producing, but better to do that later than first. The only way to finish writing is to start.

Thanks

1) autobiographical essay
2) theoretical orientation
3) diversity
4) research

500 words each. I doubt the actual wording of the questions will change too much, if any, but these are the topics. I found it helpful to jot down bullet points for each of these topics before starting the actual writing, and then I wrote many many drafts. Like docma said, starting the essays early on is very important.

Hi all,
I'm looking for internship sites to apply to and I think I am missing some due to the directory being either out of date or not including great detail about specific training opportunities. So, I thought I'd reach out to see if any of you have suggestions (and hopefully they'll be helpful to others with similar interests to me).

I'm looking for a site that is more research focused, but that doesn't require a lot of assessment experience. I'm from a counseling psychology program, so I have minimal training in assessment, which unfortunately eliminates a lot of the research-heavy sites (many VA's). I've found a few university counseling centers that have a scientist-practitioner model, which seems promising but they are very few (e.g. University of Maryland - College Park). I also have a specific interest in LGBT health, HIV/AIDS treatment or prevention, and sexual health (I'm also applying to Northwestern - the only LGBT health site I can find!). Any suggestions would be welcomed, thank you all so much!

Many of the VA's are actually very clinical heavy and fairly light on research actually, may want to reconsider that avenue. Also, the VA's have recently instituted LBGT focused training slots (mostly fellowships) and started adding didactics focused in that area.

Many of the VA's are actually very clinical heavy and fairly light on research actually, may want to reconsider that avenue. Also, the VA's have recently instituted LBGT focused training slots (mostly fellowships) and started adding didactics focused in that area.
That's very helpful, thank you!

Hi all,
I'm looking for internship sites to apply to and I think I am missing some due to the directory being either out of date or not including great detail about specific training opportunities. So, I thought I'd reach out to see if any of you have suggestions (and hopefully they'll be helpful to others with similar interests to me).

I'm looking for a site that is more research focused, but that doesn't require a lot of assessment experience. I'm from a counseling psychology program, so I have minimal training in assessment, which unfortunately eliminates a lot of the research-heavy sites (many VA's). I've found a few university counseling centers that have a scientist-practitioner model, which seems promising but they are very few (e.g. University of Maryland - College Park). I also have a specific interest in LGBT health, HIV/AIDS treatment or prevention, and sexual health (I'm also applying to Northwestern - the only LGBT health site I can find!). Any suggestions would be welcomed, thank you all so much!

As WisNeuro mentioned, the VA internships are primarily focused on clinical training (95% clinical, 5% research). This is the case for the vast majority of internships in general though. While there are exceptions and some variability between sites, the APA clinical hours requirement for internship necessitate a heavy emphasis on clinical work during the year. The good news is that post-docs and employers understand this reality, so students with academic career aspirations will still be competitive for research focused post docs despite having a clinical internship.

In regards to the VA, explore sites that have MIRECC post doctoral positions available in addition to internships. These are 75/25% (research/clinical) post docs that have the aim to develop future VA career scientists. Several of these MIRECC positions have a focus on sexual health and HIV/HCV, and many others are flexible based on your interests. If you receive an internship at a site that also has a MIRECC post doc, it will be advantageous for receiving a position (VAs strongly favor their current interns for post doc positions).

As WisNeuro mentioned, the VA internships are primarily focused on clinical training (95% clinical, 5% research). This is the case for the vast majority of internships in general though. While there are exceptions and some variability between sites, the APA clinical hours requirement for internship necessitate a heavy emphasis on clinical work during the year. The good news is that post-docs and employers understand this reality, so students with academic career aspirations will still be competitive for research focused post docs despite having a clinical internship.

In regards to the VA, explore sites that have MIRECC post doctoral positions available in addition to internships. These are 75/25% (research/clinical) post docs that have the aim to develop future VA career scientists. Several of these MIRECC positions have a focus on sexual health and HIV/HCV, and many others are flexible based on your interests. If you receive an internship at a site that also has a MIRECC post doc, it will be advantageous for receiving a position (VAs strongly favor their current interns for post doc positions).
Thank you so much! I hadn't heard about MIRECC so I will definitely look into this. Also, I am not necessary specifically interested in VA sites, I just had heard through my DCT that these are useful sites to look at for a research focus (maybe my DCT meant for postdoc). Although I realize the internship is by necessity a clinical experience, I would ideally like to go to a site that allows for some research work, or at least would set me up well for this in my postdoc. Any other suggestions folks might have for research-oriented sites focused LGBT health, HIV/AIDS, or sexual health (for a counseling student with few assessment hours) would be much welcomed, thanks!

Any other suggestions folks might have for research-oriented sites focused LGBT health, HIV/AIDS, or sexual health (for a counseling student with few assessment hours) would be much welcomed, thanks!

If you'd consider NYC sites, look into Beth Israel Medical Center (specifically mentioning on the Peter Krueger Clinic in your cover letter). Also, the lower assessment hours will be a challenge, but if your app is compelling enough for an interview the interviewing faculty may understand your position and highly consider you otherwise because you present yourself as an excellent candidate. This internship has a research component and optional post-doc (you still must apply & be considered for post-doc though). Also, Columbia-Presbyterian may suit your needs as well (but same applies with lower assessment hours...you will have to make sure your essays are stellar and intriguing enough to get you interviewed as most NYC sites are highly competitive b/c many folks would like to try out the Big Apple for one-two years being from other parts of the U.S.).

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited:
I also have a specific interest in LGBT health, HIV/AIDS treatment or prevention, and sexual health (I'm also applying to Northwestern - the only LGBT health site I can find!). Any suggestions would be welcomed, thank you all so much!

Boston Consortium - research-heavy VA with good LGBTQ work.

Boston Consortium - research-heavy VA with good LGBTQ work.
Relatedly, but in a different part of the country, I believe the Houston VA (which provides protected research time) has an LGBTQ fellowship, so there are likely some training opportunities there. Perhaps the SF VA as well, although I'm not sure on that.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm actually not 100% sure.

I believe I saw during post-doc season that Hines VA (Chicago) has a new LGBTQ Fellowship

Happy 4th of July! My question is should your current research experiences and interests match that of the faculty at your prospective internship sites for there to be a match or fit?
-thanks

Well, its not grad school anymore. You are looking at a place that fits your clinical interests that can also provide meaningful research experiences and mentorship. Thus, the focus should be on the site as a whole first. Ideally, your clinical interests and research interests coincide, thus fitting with the site would lead you to fit well within at least one of the faculty.

I heard there are APA-accredited internship sites that are not listed on the APPIC directory. Is this true and where would I find such internships? I saw this in a prior thread and can't seem to find it. Thanks!

Some programs, mostly psychology programs located in medical schools have their own APA accredited internships only for their students. Because of the shortage of internships this practice is more common. Many programs are setting up their own consortium for their own students. They are not advertised in APPIC because they only accept students already in their program.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Some programs, mostly psychology programs located in medical schools have their own APA accredited internships only for their students. Because of the shortage of internships this practice is more common. Many programs are setting up their own consortium for their own students. They are not advertised in APPIC because they only accept students already in their program.

Posted using SDN Mobile

UT Southwestern is the one program I know of off the top of my head that operates this way (hence their 100% 10-year match rate), although I also know there are others; I just don't remember any names. I believe APA was recently trying to push this as the new norm and/or as one solution to the crisis, although there'd need to be a way to significantly increase funding in order for most grad programs to be able to swing developing their own internship sites.

Not that I'd be against it. I do think there's something to be gained from training at a site other than your grad program, but for it only lasting one year, and for the significant costs typically associated with it despite the relatively short duration (e.g., relocation), I could be in favor of more captive internships. Plus, it then allows the program to fully control the future of its students. The downside is that it removes that external check-and-balance "spigot" to potentially control/address poor training at the grad school level. But the folks coming out of UTSW seem to be solid, so we know there's at least the possibility it can be done well.

I'm personally not a fan of the captive internships. As AA said, there's something to be said about diversity of training. Additionally, there is no quality control at that point. That captive internship could have great interns, but they are also getting some bad ones, there is no way to differentiate. Makes it hard to make a decision about postdoc acceptances.

I'm personally not a fan of the captive internships. As AA said, there's something to be said about diversity of training. Additionally, there is no quality control at that point. That captive internship could have great interns, but they are also getting some bad ones, there is no way to differentiate. Makes it hard to make a decision about postdoc acceptances.

Captive internships, idealy, could just be sharing agreement between a program and handful of sites. This makes much more sense and eliminates the burden of travel/travel scheduling stress in order to relocate for ONE year.

On a different topic, I could use some advice on recommendations.

1. Any opinions on getting one recommendation from a psychiatrist? This particular person is the clinical director of one site that I was at. She was not my primary supervisor, but has a good sense of my strengths, is well-known at some of the sites to which I will apply, and I had a great deal of interaction with her. My primary supervisor (a psychologist of course) is no longer at that program (and I believe she is mostly in private practice now), although I could still be in touch with her if it seems like a bad idea to get a letter from a psychiatrist.

2. Given that we can only submit 3 letters (my plan is advisor, previous placement, current placement), I'm unsure of how to proceed with asking for a LOR from my current site. I have two primary supervisors. Would it be odd to ask them to write one letter together? Or should I just pick one of them?

The UTSW program has captive internship within all of the different departments at UTSW where the students do their practicum rotations. Each of the directors of the programs where students did their practicum choose a first, second, and third choice of students similar to a APPIC ranking of UTSW students. Some students from outside the UTSW system are allowed to complete internships in the UTSW program so it is not completely a captured internship. Several of the students who went through my program worked as PA at UTSW so they were allowed to do internship ant postdoc at UTSW. A number of the psychology faculty at UTSW were adjunct faculty in my program.

The problem with the UTSW program is inbreeding as many of their faculty were students at UTSW and have never worked outside of the UTSW system. The Clinical Training Director of my program graduated from UTSW and some of our students did practicum placement in the UTSW system. At one time, many of the students at UNT and SMU actually were taking courses at UTSW and they were able to complete internships at UTSW. The whole metro area of DFW has so many Universities with MS and PhD program in psychology and a consortium could be developed where there could be 200-300 internships every year. UTSW is so large that they could probably have 75 to 100 intern placements there every year above the UTSW captured internship of 10-15 cohorts.

On a different topic, I could use some advice on recommendations.

1. Any opinions on getting one recommendation from a psychiatrist? This particular person is the clinical director of one site that I was at. She was not my primary supervisor, but has a good sense of my strengths, is well-known at some of the sites to which I will apply, and I had a great deal of interaction with her. My primary supervisor (a psychologist of course) is no longer at that program (and I believe she is mostly in private practice now), although I could still be in touch with her if it seems like a bad idea to get a letter from a psychiatrist.

2. Given that we can only submit 3 letters (my plan is advisor, previous placement, current placement), I'm unsure of how to proceed with asking for a LOR from my current site. I have two primary supervisors. Would it be odd to ask them to write one letter together? Or should I just pick one of them?

For #1--good question, and it'll probably vary by site. I personally wouldn't have a problem reading a letter from a psychiatrist, although I wonder if it's not essentially always better to have the primary supervisor get you the letter. Worst-case, you can ask them both; that way, you can submit the psychiatrist's letter to the sites that know her, and the psychologist's letter everywhere else.

Similarly, for #2--asking them to co-write is one solution (I've certainly seen it done). If they aren't comfortable with that, you can ask them both for separate letters and choose on a site-by-site basis which one you'd like to send.

The problem with the UTSW program is inbreeding as many of their faculty were students at UTSW and have never worked outside of the UTSW system.

This has been, I believe, one of the main criticisms of the captive internship model (and alludes to the point WisNeuro and I mentioned above re: external quality control checks that are present in offsite internships but missing in captive ones).

As erg mentioned, perhaps the most viable solution is to have the grad programs develop formal agreements with local internship sites (with whom they can work to help with cost- and resource-sharing, etc.) rather than directly housing their own actual internships.

I think it'd be great if folks had the option to apply/travel to sites across the country for training if they'd like, but I agree that for just one year of training, essentially requiring trainees to do this is a little outlandish.

I heard there are APA-accredited internship sites that are not listed on the APPIC directory. Is this true and where would I find such internships? I saw this in a prior thread and can't seem to find it. Thanks!

The APA accreditation website has a list of all accredited internship programs, regardless of whether they choose to maintain a listing in the APPIC directory. Actually, the site I matched at wasn't listed in the directory. Here's a link: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/internships-state.aspx

@AcronymAllergy :
I think it'd be great if folks had the option to apply/travel to sites across the country for training if they'd like, but I agree that for just one year of training, essentially requiring trainees to do this is a little outlandish.

This is why I would be in huge favor of combining internship and post-doc, with an option to opt out after internship if the intern performs poorly or finds that the site doesn't meet their career needs. It's way too expensive, time-consuming, and stressful for sites and (especially) applicants for only one year of training. Plus, under the current system, you submit post doc apps only 2-3 months after beginning internship, which means you've had very little opportunity to grow professionally during internship before post-doc apps are due.

Reactions: 2 users
I need some advice on selecting recommendations
- I will primarily be applying for neuropsych internships
-I completed two neuropsych externships, one as my first externship, the other as my last
-I also completed two other externships in different areas aside from neuropsych, which were my second and third externships

I am definitely getting a recommendation from my last neuropsych supervisor as he knows me well and will write me a great letter. I am unsure whether to get my second letter from one of my more recent externships, or from my other neuropsych externship, which was my first externship. Is it better to get recommendations from more a recent supervisor, even if it was not a neuropsych externship? Or would it be preferable to have two letters from my neuropsych externships, even if one was from my first ever externship and was a few years ago? My only worry is that if I get a letter from my first supervisor it may not be as good as a more recent letter, since I have improved a lot since my first externship. Thoughts?

Hi guys what information do the sites receive? Do they also receive information about
contact information, educational background, current graduate program, professional conduct etc( first portion) from AAPI or only the essays,cv,letters of recommendations and cover letters

Hi guys what information do the sites receive? Do they also receive information about
contact information, educational background, current graduate program, professional conduct etc( first portion) from AAPI or only the essays,cv,letters of recommendations and cover letters

We get all of that information. Everything up on APPI comes to us.

I am just starting this process now and it is daunting! Want to get started on essays early so that I can really tailor all my cover letters to my individual sites. Anyone have any good leads on internships that are very generalist but with the opportunity to do some gender/sexuality stuff?

FYI, the APPIC applicant portal is now open!

Also, still looking for thoughts on who to select for my recommendations from post #44 if anyone has any ideas.

I need some advice on selecting recommendations
- I will primarily be applying for neuropsych internships
-I completed two neuropsych externships, one as my first externship, the other as my last
-I also completed two other externships in different areas aside from neuropsych, which were my second and third externships

I am definitely getting a recommendation from my last neuropsych supervisor as he knows me well and will write me a great letter. I am unsure whether to get my second letter from one of my more recent externships, or from my other neuropsych externship, which was my first externship. Is it better to get recommendations from more a recent supervisor, even if it was not a neuropsych externship? Or would it be preferable to have two letters from my neuropsych externships, even if one was from my first ever externship and was a few years ago? My only worry is that if I get a letter from my first supervisor it may not be as good as a more recent letter, since I have improved a lot since my first externship. Thoughts?

I would go with the strongest letters from supervisors who know you best. In your case, "last neuropsych supervisor" and the "recent supervisor." However, it is important to closely look at the program descriptions that you will apply to - not just in APPIC, but individual websites - for each site. If it is a neuropsych heavy-assessment site, perhaps two neuropsych supervisors will be better. You can ask 4 recommenders to upload letters and chose only 3 letters to send to each site.

APPIC allows you to tailor your cover letters, essays, and LORs as much as you want/need. IMO if it is a neuropsych site that will train you in assessment but you will be also assigned one-on-one therapy cases in an outpatient clinic, you'd want the letters that would demonstrate you are a strong clinician in all areas: assessment, therapy, and research.

Good luck! :luck: