2014-2015 APPIC (internship) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So exciting to post on this thread (even if a bit surreal...)

I have 950 intervention hours, 100 assessment hours. I want to apply to research-oriented VAs and AMCs predominantly.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have 740 intervention hours and just over 250 assessment hours.

I'm still two years off from applying for internship, but the hours discussion has made me wonder if it is at all possible to have too many assessment hours? "Too many" in this case being an unusual or uncommon ratio of assessment to therapy hours. As a result of some positions and practica experiences I have had, I currently have a bit more assessment than therapy hours and it is likely that may remain the same when I apply for internship. Some of them are neuropsych testing hours, but the majority are simply structured diagnostic assessment protocols.

Based on my current understanding, I would think that as long as I still have sufficient therapy experience it wouldn't be a problem, just thought I'd ask if anyone had any different thoughts or if that would strike a reviewer as odd, given that I am not likely headed in a neuropsych direction (where I may suspect a much higher number of assessment hours would be likely).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still two years off from applying for internship, but the hours discussion has made me wonder if it is at all possible to have too many assessment hours? "Too many" in this case being an unusual or uncommon ratio of assessment to therapy hours. As a result of some positions and practica experiences I have had, I currently have a bit more assessment than therapy hours and it is likely that may remain the same when I apply for internship. Some of them are neuropsych testing hours, but the majority are simply structured diagnostic assessment protocols.

Based on my current understanding, I would think that as long as I still have sufficient therapy experience it wouldn't be a problem, just thought I'd ask if anyone had any different thoughts or if that would strike a reviewer as odd, given that I am not likely headed in a neuropsych direction (where I may suspect a much higher number of assessment hours would be likely).

The biggest thing I've been told by my DCT is that as long as your supervision to internvention/assessment hours is a 1:4 ratio, so approximately 1 hour of supervision for every 4 or so hours of intervention, you should be fine. However, if you are not planning on doing neuropsych internships, I would work on building up your therapy hours over the next two years.

I currently have 740 intervention hours and just over 250 assessment hours.

Please, if you don't mind sharing. I would like to know how many years of practicum you have had since it appears you do have a lot of hours. thanks

My supervisors have talked more about a point where gaining more of any specific sort of experience starts to have diminishing returns. So there may be no appreciable difference between having 200 and 300 assessment hours, let's say for example, and gaining those hours keeps you from gaining experience in areas you need it or making progress in your research or other academics.

Please, if you don't mind sharing. I would like to know how many years of practicum you have had since it appears you do have a lot of hours. thanks

Sure. I have had three full years of practicum. I have also sought out other experiences to obtain some of my hours, and I got some hours my first year too.

My supervisors have talked more about a point where gaining more of any specific sort of experience starts to have diminishing returns. So there may be no appreciable difference between having 200 and 300 assessment hours, let's say for example, and gaining those hours keeps you from gaining experience in areas you need it or making progress in your research or other academics.

Thanks, this is a good consideration. Although right now I think I am still early enough in my career that any experience is good experience but I can definitely see how soon gaining a few more assessments and hours of the same type will eventually become less valuable than a novel experience or more time put towards research.

Last edited:
How common is it for your letter writers to have you write your own letter? One of my letter writers has asked me to write the letter myself and said he will sign it. Not sure how I feel about doing this, as I'm obviously not an objective person to comment on my own skills. Is this a common occurrence?

How common is it for your letter writers to have you write your own letter? One of my letter writers has asked me to write the letter myself and said he will sign it. Not sure how I feel about doing this, as I'm obviously not an objective person to comment on my own skills. Is this a common occurrence?

I have had this experience come up as an undergraduate applying to schools as well as currently when applying for various fellowships and grants. From what I have heard it is a fairly common practice. You know your own experiences best and given the number of letters faculty have to write, it lessens the demand on them. In my experience they will then take the letter you construct and mold it to fit their style and add in their own touches as necessary.

Hey guys, do you have a link of what the four essay questions are?

I have had this experience come up as an undergraduate applying to schools as well as currently when applying for various fellowships and grants. From what I have heard it is a fairly common practice. You know your own experiences best and given the number of letters faculty have to write, it lessens the demand on them. In my experience they will then take the letter you construct and mold it to fit their style and add in their own touches as necessary.

Thanks, glad to hear it is fairly common.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there: I haven't posted for some time. Finally getting ready for internship applications. My question: does anybody know whether assessment reports (supplemental material) have to be signed by me and my supervisor (and thus, scanned in) or can I upload a copy without signatures? Maybe it depends on site requirements...
thanks a bunch and g'luck all! :shifty:

Hi there: I haven't posted for some time. Finally getting ready for internship applications. My question: does anybody know whether assessment reports (supplemental material) have to be signed by me and my supervisor (and thus, scanned in) or can I upload a copy without signatures? Maybe it depends on site requirements...

I uploaded assessment reports without any signatures. I believe that all identifying information needs to be removed, which includes the testing site and name of supervisor.

All *patient* identifying information.

I believe that I also uploaded unsigned copies, but I want to say I also asked each site requesting them ahead of time whether or not they'd be ok with something that was not signed. Most were, but I believe one or two specifically required signatures.

Hi all,

This is about the time of year when people start working on internship essays, creating site lists, etc, so here's a thread for those of you who are applying for internship this year to discuss the process and application-related questions and issues. It's not fun at all, to say the least, but people do get through it. Good luck, everyone!
Are people giving each of their APPIC essays titles? Just wondering.

All *patient* identifying information.

I sanitized all identifying info (e.g. supervisor's name, name of affiliated university) to be on the safe side. I am not certain if it is "necessary." I heard a horror story that a site rejected an applicant's testing report because their supervisor's name was on the report and the supervisor was affiliated with a university-affiliated counseling center. I believe the site argued that with that info they could determine where the patient received treatment.

Not sure what you mean by this.. do you mean like a title at the top of the page? I did not last year and if you're worrying about which one goes where there are designated boxes for each to copy and paste into.

It'll make more sense once you see the application itself, but there won't be a place for you to fill in a title; rather, it'll be listed on the webpage, and there will just be a text box below it for you to type/copy-and-paste your essay.

I sanitized all identifying info (e.g. supervisor's name, name of affiliated university) to be on the safe side. I am not certain if it is "necessary." I heard a horror story that a site rejected an applicant's testing report because their supervisor's name was on the report and the supervisor was affiliated with a university-affiliated counseling center. I believe the site argued that with that info they could determine where the patient received treatment.

Hmm, if there wasn't any other identifying information (e.g., initials + birth date or date of appointment), I'd be interested to hear how the site would have determined that to be a violation of confidentiality. I mean, knowing where someone received services in and of itself isn't protected health information, assuming the "someone" isn't otherwise identified (e.g., is just referred to as "Patient X"). Basically, for example, all they'd know is that a 20-year-old male received services in March at the University of XX counseling center.

I submitted it unsigned, never even occurred to me to ask. They want de-identified and it seems silly (and more risky) to go at things with a black marker vs. ctrl-H.

Supervisor names were on there and I'd actually argue SHOULD be there so the site can verify who you worked with, absent some particularly odd circumstances. We went by HIPAA standards and there is nothing that says provider names need to be removed. Any site rejecting an applicant based on that is not a site you'd want to attend anyways...

As an aside, I don't know how I've made it through life thus far without knowing about ctrl-h. I frequently use other shortcuts (e.g., ctrl-c/x/v, ctrl-u/i/b, ctrl-a, ctrl-p, windows key-l, etc.), but when it came to replacing text, I'd always just done ctrl-f and then clicked over to the right tab.

Ollie, I'm sure you've just saved me at least a year's worth of mouse clicking over the course of my professional life.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, if there wasn't any other identifying information (e.g., initials + birth date or date of appointment), I'd be interested to hear how the site would have determined that to be a violation of confidentiality. I mean, knowing where someone received services in and of itself isn't protected health information, assuming the "someone" isn't otherwise identified (e.g., is just referred to as "Patient X"). Basically, for example, all they'd know is that a 20-year-old male received services in March at the University of XX counseling center.

I agree, that doesn't make sense to me. Besides... I worked in varied types of sites; places could figure out where a report came from by looking at my CV.

I changed supervisors' names and didn't have reports signed. As far as I know, it wasn't an issue.

Ok, let's be real here for a second. Sites get a CV from you, and it has all of the places where you trained. So it just wouldn't be that hard to figure out where a client obtained services for one's de-identified report, so shame on that site that was upset about a supervisor's name being on the report. So stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys what do you think?Should I get an lor from a supervisor who has known me for a short time but will right good things or one who has known me longer but I really don't trust will right good things and I feel hasn't taken the time to know me well because of the disorganized nature of my last practicum experience.These are my two choices.thanks

Uh, so the queation is should I get a good LOR or a bad LOR? lol

I'd go with the bad because I like to live life dangerously.

:)lol seriously guys I thought the length of time the person knows you counted

:)lol seriously guys I thought the length of time the person knows you counted

Ok, but you said the person who knows you longer is likely to write bad things and actually hasn't taken the time to get to know you? Dont both things defeat the purpose of a LOR from them?

Yes they do.I guess I was wondering which is the lesser evil

Yes they do.I guess I was wondering which is the lesser evil

I guess I am still confused here. If you have worked with the second person and they can testify to your current clinical and interpersonal skills (is this correct?), whats the problem? Why is this an evil at all?

i guess i am overthinking it. I thought people who write your lor should have known you for a specific length of time. But yes the person who has known me for a shorter length of time can testify to my clinical skills

Ollie, I'm sure you've just saved me at least a year's worth of mouse clicking over the course of my professional life.
Always happy to help! Though how you could miss the intuitive logic of "H" as short for "Replace" for all these years is beyond me;)

i guess i am overthinking it. I thought people who write your lor should have known you for a specific length of time. But yes the person who has known me for a shorter length of time can testify to my clinical skills
Yes, ideally all your letter writers will have known you since childhood and can testify to your profound and continually increasing awesomeness across your lifespan. Realistically, no one has that. Honestly, I would guess the only two things most readers really think about are 1) Are they anything less than glowing? (if so, reject) and 2) Do I know the person/person's work personally and therefore value their opinion more highly? Just pick the folks who will give you the best letter. You are always sacrificing one piece for another. Submit letters from people who know you for a long time and someone will say "You should have gotten one from a current supervisor!". Submit one from your current supervisor and they will say (as you said) "They haven't known you as long!". Research vs. clinical vs. classroom. Quality of work vs. quality of professional relationship. You're always sacrificing one characteristic for another.

Everyone I know who has reviewed applications pretty much says all of them are so overwhelmingly positive they are of extremely little utility for differentiating applicants anyways.

Last edited:
I believe that I also uploaded unsigned copies, but I want to say I also asked each site requesting them ahead of time whether or not they'd be ok with something that was not signed. Most were, but I believe one or two specifically required signatures.
Thanks all for your replies re: signed copies of reports for sites - vs. unsigned ones!!

So, here is another issue that is occurring for me while preparing for applications:
in short - a supervisor I had a year ago said 'no' when asked for a LOR. Reason: S/he thought it has been too long ago and a more recent letter would speak better to my skills, etc.; I emailed another supervisor from last year (2012/14 externship cycle) and s/he never responded to my email. I did get two from my most previous supervisors and hope to get one from my new supervisor-to-be (have not yet started at my next externship site). That person will of course only have a brief impression of me...- I am aware that some sites require three LOR from previous or current supervisors and I hopefully will have three; two from the same site and not much diversity, since the two other ones who supervised me for totally different places are not available. While I am not completely panicky, I do think it is of disadvantage for me. More importantly, I am hurting from the 'rejection' and the null response; did not expect that. Both did write LOR for the externship following the one they supervised me at and I honestly thought it should not be that much of extra work to 'update' them...; on the other hand, I understand that I am asking them to do something for me for free;
has any one here experienced something similar? Thoughts? Hope I am not alone on that one.

So, here is another issue that is occurring for me while preparing for applications:
in short - a supervisor I had a year ago said 'no' when asked for a LOR. Reason: S/he thought it has been too long ago and a more recent letter would speak better to my skills, etc.; I emailed another supervisor from last year (2012/14 externship cycle) and s/he never responded to my email. I did get two from my most previous supervisors and hope to get one from my new supervisor-to-be (have not yet started at my next externship site). That person will of course only have a brief impression of me...- I am aware that some sites require three LOR from previous or current supervisors and I hopefully will have three; two from the same site and not much diversity, since the two other ones who supervised me for totally different places are not available. While I am not completely panicky, I do think it is of disadvantage for me. More importantly, I am hurting from the 'rejection' and the null response; did not expect that. Both did write LOR for the externship following the one they supervised me at and I honestly thought it should not be that much of extra work to 'update' them...; on the other hand, I understand that I am asking them to do something for me for free;
has any one here experienced something similar? Thoughts? Hope I am not alone on that one.

I think your former supervisor should not be making the judgment call re: you needing a more recent letter, that is, thinking their letter would be too old, this is something for you to decide, not for him/her to decide IMO. As long as it is not like 4+ years ago. As far as you asking them to do something for you for free, well yes, technically, but practicums are either unpaid positions or if they are paid, it is minimal pay, so as long as you were a good practicum student, asking for a LOR is not an unreasonable request at all and supervisors expect that they will be asked to write letters. Could you get two letters from supervisors and one letter from a faculty member? That is what I did when I applied this past cycle. How much time has gone by since you emailed the supervisor who has not responded? You could try following up with him/her. It is possible he/she is on summer break and has not checked their email. Best of luck.

I can understand the supervisor perhaps not wanting to write a letter if they haven't seen/spoken to you in a while. And in the end, whatever the reason is that they give, if someone says they aren't comfortable writing you a letter, then it's best to take them at their word rather than see if you can convince them to the alternative. Who knows, maybe they were trying to save you (general "you" here; not you specifically, Phipps) from a less-than-stellar rec letter.

As for the second professor, I agree that sending a follow-up email (particularly if you haven't done so already) wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe the first one just never got to them, for whatever reason.

Finally, if "all" you have is three letters, you'll be fine. It's all that'll be required, and just in my own personal experience, having only three letters didn't cause any problems.

As a reader of letters, I would say find another recommender. It is unduly stressful for you to have to write it, it defeats the purpose of reference letters, and it is unlikely that it will wind up sounding genuine. A true mentor will see it as part of their responsiblity to write the letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker…it's so weird seeing all your names pop up again, I remember seeing them when I was applying to PhD programs! Ah, the memories :D

Since we're on the topic of references:

What's the protocol for letter writers when you're applying to different types of sites? I'm applying to 2 distinct types of sites (pediatric & community-based sites), and just recently had a writer ask about the "procedure" (contact info., types, etc.). Do writers typically write one standard generic letter or customized for each site? Thnx!

Long time lurker…it's so weird seeing all your names pop up again, I remember seeing them when I was applying to PhD programs! Ah, the memories :D

What's the protocol for letter writers when you're applying to different types of sites? I'm applying to 2 distinct types of sites (pediatric & community-based sites), and just recently had a writer ask about the "procedure" (contact info., types, etc.). Do writers typically write one standard generic letter or customized for each site? Thnx!

I think you could request they write two types. The worst that could happen is they say no. The bulk of the letter probably wouldn't change much. I would just ask them early and give them ample time.

Let the writers know you are applying to a range of sites and ask if they can use examples of your work that demonstrate a range that covers both. For example, name a case or 2 they supervised that worked well that you think illustrates you strengths for one or both sites. Most writers in clinical sites don't have the time to individualize for each site...but if they describe your skills with a range of patients they can convey things of interest to a range of sites.

I think it really depends on each letter-writer. I applied to a range of VAs that were either more or less focused on EBPs, and my VA-affiliated letter writer wrote me two letters, one highlighting my flexibility and the other highlighting my commitment to EBPs. This may be more effort than some writers are willing to go to, but you never know!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm discussing the types w/sites with writers and letting them decide (choosing between 1 or 2 letters). Most have said they can cover it with 1 letter, hopefully that is the case!

Hi guys, when you are filling the appic forms, do you include publications that are in press or presentations/posters that have been submitted but may not have been accepted yet. That is, in answer to the question "number of publications" and "number of presentations"

Hi guys, when you are filling the appic forms, do you include publications that are in press or presentations/posters that have been submitted but may not have been accepted yet. That is, in answer to the question "number of publications" and "number of presentations"

In press, yes. Submitted, nope.

Any creative ways to get more assessment hours in the next 2 months at a VA? (like asking the C&P evaluator to assist administration/giving all my clients an OQ/ideas welcome!)

Total intervention: 600 hours; total assessment 150 hours; total integrated reports 25; 3 years
Anxiety = high

Applying to VAs