2014-2015 APPIC (internship) application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's been so quite around here lately :lurking:…hope everyone is hanging in there and occupying their time while waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe there will be an opening posted on USAJOBS for the pre-doc internship, and applicants will have a week (Nov.10-14) to submit their app through USAJOBS. !

So does this mean that if we haven't heard from BOP sites by this week then it's a no-go? Or is this process more site-specific?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean that if we haven't heard from BOP sites by this week then it's a no-go? Or is this process more site-specific?
No idea... I just received a "yes" and to complete the appl at usajobs, but the I couldn't even find the job opening!

It seems very site-specific. I heard from one last Friday and another one today. Someone said they heard from one Thursday. The job application is open from 11/10-11/18 (at least for the site that asked me to move forward) so I would imagine they're aiming to let us know by today.

It seems very site-specific. I heard from one last Friday and another one today. Someone said they heard from one Thursday. The job application is open from 11/10-11/18 (at least for the site that asked me to move forward) so I would imagine they're aiming to let us know by today.
Actually, I believe is only one application to be filled out in usajobs... And then we need to assign where to send it... I got the same dates for a few bop sites.... But still havent heard for all of them

Hi All! Hope applications are going well. Is there a separate "interviews" thread on here???

I heard one of the VAs sent out invitations the day the deadline passed. I wonder if that means no invitation that day = no luck. (As in, do sites inform if we are not invited?)

This process is truly nerve wrecking!

-->This process is truly nerve wracking! <--

Amen! If it's helpful for any child people out there, my DCT said that historically the child internships tend to notify about interviews later than adult sites. So we may need to be extra patient!

I'm still waiting to hear back from some BOPs.

I heard one of the VAs sent out invitations the day the deadline passed. I wonder if that means no invitation that day = no luck. (As in, do sites inform if we are not invited?)

This process is truly nerve wrecking!

Quite a few sites do rolling invites, so it's not over until you get a rejection. Which you will get, btw, but probably not right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from one BOP and am still waiting on one... The usajobs.gov piece adds a whole extra layer of application fun!:soexcited:

I've heard from one BOP and am still waiting on one... The usajobs.gov piece adds a whole extra layer of application fun!:soexcited:
Today is a federal holiday..... We need to wait until tom! :(

Reactions: 1 user
Hi All! Hope applications are going well. Is there a separate "interviews" thread on here???
There usually is. I'm not really sure of the procedure, last year (I think) one of the mods started one around this time. I'm not sure if someone just volunteers to maintain the list or if there is some kind of protocol.

It was broken out as a separate thread starting last year, I believe. Typically, the threads are started by members who are able to log in fairly consistently in order to keep everything updated. It just so happened that our own moderator futureapppsy2 is an overachiever and started both last year's interview thread and this year's general APPIC thread :) However, it certainly doesn't need to be a mod who creates the threads.

Just started a separate interview thread! Feel free to post to that thread or PM me (click my username and then "start conversation") with any interview notifications you have received.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Sooooo

One of the sites I wanted to apply to listed their app due date in APPIC as the 16th.

And now their brochure, which wasn't updated when I checked a few weeks ago, says the due date is November 8th (along with a difference in hours).

I will be contacting the director to confirm the date. However, I can't help but wonder if I even should. I again feel this is some sort of test to weed people out lol. APPIC is still letting me submit apps for this site (i.e. not listed as closed).

Any thoughts?

I would email them to ask if they will still accept apps, given the discrepancy in the materials. Better to email first rather than spending the money if they won't read your application.

A few questions: what the heck is BOP? Is this something related to prison sites? I'm so lost.

Do most sites email or call in person? Or does it just depend? I'm not very good with my phone (misplacing it, keeping it on silent, not answering it) so I am trying very mindful to be around it at all times. Even though I know I have weeks until I need to worry, I'm trying to train myself now to be prepared to answer the phone for once.

Bureau of prisons. And at least as of a few years ago, an e-mail was the preferred way to notify. Keep a calendar handy, all the best interview dates go fast.

Ok great. I have my calendar all marked up and ready to go with all the possible VA dates for interviews already scheduled in as reported by APPIC and on brochures. I just need to highlight the one I want (if and when offered) and I'm done. However, I should keep that calendar with me at all times, right? I need a bigger bag.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Hello all. For those who have posted regarding BOP sites, I'm currently on internship at a BOP site, so here's the info...

A tip: try your best to match your CV language with the job requirement language used in the internship/position description. Obviously, this new process has the potential to really mess things up for BOP internships, but if applicants can make it through then they'll be nicely setup to graduate into a GS11 position and start working towards that 20 year retirement. Good luck!

I'm working on the usajobs.gov application now and have heard contrasting info about whether to create a new resume or upload an already-existing CV. Given that you're at one of the BOP sites now, what do you think is the best route? Thanks! :)

Ok great. I have my calendar all marked up and ready to go with all the possible VA dates for interviews already scheduled in as reported by APPIC and on brochures. I just need to highlight the one I want (if and when offered) and I'm done. However, I should keep that calendar with me at all times, right? I need a bigger bag.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

It might seem like a bit much, but I'd recommend keeping the calendar nearby whenever possible (at least during business hours), yes. Like WisNeuro said, I can attest to the fact that interview dates can taken with a quickness. I recall with one site in particular, I waited maybe 30 minutes before replying while I checked out my schedule, and by the time I'd gotten back to them, all but one of their multiple dates were full. It certainly wasn't like that everywhere, but it only took it happening to me once to learn that I should probably reply ASAP.

For those entering USAjob applications, are you also uploading your undergraduate transcripts? This process is taking a lot longer than I anticipated!

For those entering USAjob applications, are you also uploading your undergraduate transcripts? This process is taking a lot longer than I anticipated!
You do not have to do that. I asked them.

I'm working on the usajobs.gov application now and have heard contrasting info about whether to create a new resume or upload an already-existing CV. Given that you're at one of the BOP sites now, what do you think is the best route? Thanks! :)
They recommend to create a resume...

They recommend to create a resume...

Several people I have spoken to recommend using your CV but adjusting the language to match that of the job posting, so I think that's what I'm doing as of now. The "build a resume" option does not include all of the headings we need. I also spoke with another potential intern who asked HR, and HR said it doesn't matter whether we build a resume or upload a CV... It's always fun being a guinea pig, isn't it?
:wtf: ;)

You do not have to do that. I asked them.
Do you know if the graduate need to be official or unofficial? Some people here have said unofficial are fine and the training director I talked to said she thought it needed to be official but recommended I talked to the contact people from usajobs she gave me.

Do you know if the graduate need to be official or unofficial? Some people here have said unofficial are fine and the training director I talked to said she thought it needed to be official but recommended I talked to the contact people from usajobs she gave me.
Unofficial for now. Official if we get offered a spot.

For those of you completing the USAjobs application, has anyone else found their resume to have zero formatting once it is transferred to your final application on the FBP website? It did not give me an option to upload a resume on the FBP website so I'm assuming it automatically transfers from USAjobs, but it looks terrible and confusing in the submitted application. Thanks!

I need some advice, I just realized that my sample case report I uploaded is only signed my my supervisor. I uploaded a version without my signature. There is only one site I applied to that specifically asked for the report be "cosigned." Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I contact that site directly? Or do others think having just my supervisors signature is sufficient?

I need some advice, I just realized that my sample case report I uploaded is only signed my my supervisor. I uploaded a version without my signature. There is only one site I applied to that specifically asked for the report be "cosigned." Any thoughts on what I should do? Should I contact that site directly? Or do others think having just my supervisors signature is sufficient?
This is just a shot in the dark here - I would imagine you're in less bad shape having your signature missing versus your supervisor's. I remember one site wanted a report specifically signed by a supervisor, and I think that's what they're mainly looking for, i.e., that an actual psychologist read and approved your report versus you just typing something at random or using a class report. I'm not sure that contacting the site would do anything to change the situation because I would imagine you would explain what happened and they would have guessed that anyway. I don't think it's a huge huge deal in the grand scheme of things. If they love all your stuff and think you'd be a good fit, I can't imagine they would be like, "Well, it's missing this applicant's signature so let's dump that person." If they don't find you to be a fitting candidate, the signature issue could add to it, but I don't think it'll overshadow all the other stuff you brought to the table.

For those of you completing the USAjobs application, has anyone else found their resume to have zero formatting once it is transferred to your final application on the FBP website? It did not give me an option to upload a resume on the FBP website so I'm assuming it automatically transfers from USAjobs, but it looks terrible and confusing in the submitted application. Thanks!

Yes. I have this problem, too.

Does anyone know if McClean Hospital changed their application deadline? I originally had 11/18, but now it says 11/10. Just wondering if I had it wrong or if they changed it...

Does anyone know if McClean Hospital changed their application deadline? I originally had 11/18, but now it says 11/10. Just wondering if I had it wrong or if they changed it...

I've always had it down as 11/10, but it's possible that at some point it was 11/18.

This may fit better on the interview thread but this one seemed like it had more seasoned folks on here. Any tips for us on interview prep besides practicing? Any curveball questions that threw you for a loop on your interviews? Any and all feedback is welcome! :)

This may fit better on the interview thread but this one seemed like it had more seasoned folks on here. Any tips for us on interview prep besides practicing? Any curveball questions that threw you for a loop on your interviews? Any and all feedback is welcome! :)

The question that threw me for a loop was "if it was your wedding day and your best friend was making a toast, what would he/she make fun of you for" something along those lines

The question that threw me for a loop was "if it was your wedding day and your best friend was making a toast, what would he/she make fun of you for" something along those lines

I love that one.. I kind of hope they ask that!

I received an interview invitation from University of Oklahoma yesterday. Waiting to hear from UAB today. Anyone else heard?

Did anyone apply to Terry Children's Center? I had a hard time finding any information on that site. I couldn't find a website or a brochure. I ended up writing my cover letter based off of there info. from the APPIC directory (which seemed like it could be a good match for me from that info) but still found that to be odd... I was seeing if anyone else had a similar experience? o_O

Hi everyone. Best of luck to you as you go through the internship application process. I was recently made aware of two new internship positions at the Kansas City VAMC. Please see the attached file for more information. Because the positions are new, the program is not APA accredited. However, you may still apply to this program through APPIC. The training director is applying to have this internship become APA-accredited in the near future.
I’m sure many of you have read about the distinction between APP-accredited and non-accredited internships. Please be aware that taking this position would not harm your employment prospects within the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. Good luck!

Attachments

• KansasCity-psych-intern.docx
    75.5 KB · Views: 72