2014-2015 Dermatology Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there anyone interviewing at U. of Missouri on January 12 who would be interested in swapping for the January 23rd date in return for whatever you want/need?

Definitely true. It's an ACGME rule. When your program closes up, they essentially lose their residency spots and the spot funding goes with the resident. You just have to find a program willing to take you and they always do bc which program wouldn't want extra funding for a spot? See the first resident listed at UNC: http://www.med.unc.edu/derm/medical-education/residency-training-program/our-current-residents, when Buffalo lost accreditation.

Thanks for posting this link...it is only suggestive though (i.e. there could be alternative explanations...ex. a spot opened up at UNC and they just happen to really like that transferring resident so they took her - not necessarily because her Buffalo ACGME money would follow her to UNC). I was hoping more for an ACGME-type link. But this does give me hope that it is indeed true, so thank you for that :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting this link...it is only suggestive though (i.e. there could be alternative explanations...ex. a spot opened up at UNC and they just happen to really like that transferring resident so they took her - not necessarily because her Buffalo ACGME money would follow her to UNC). I was hoping more for an ACGME-type link. But this does give me hope that it is indeed true, so thank you for that :)
https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/ab_ACGMEPoliciesProcedures.pdf

A program that has requested Voluntary Withdrawal of Accreditation:
(a) may not accept new residents and/or fellows;
(b) may not request “reversal” of the action after submitting the request (regardless of the proposed effective date);
(c) may seek re-accreditation after a period of 12 months following the effective date of the Voluntary Withdrawal; and,
(d) through its sponsoring institution, is responsible for placement of its current residents in other ACGME-accredited programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the deal is about programs requiring Step 2 CS for ranking? I am signed up for a date in early February. Do programs want to see a passing score before finalizing rank lists?

Does anyone know what the deal is about programs requiring Step 2 CS for ranking? I am signed up for a date in early February. Do programs want to see a passing score before finalizing rank lists?
UCSF and Cleveland Clinic require Step 2 in order to be ranked (according to their websites). I don't know any other Derm programs that actually require proof of Step 2 completion before being ranked.

UCSF and Cleveland Clinic require Step 2 in order to be ranked (according to their websites). I don't know any other Derm programs that actually require proof of Step 2 completion before being ranked.
Awesome - thank you so much! So it's definitely not something to worry about (ie a PD wouldn't drop you off the rank list for not having a score back for CS)? Also, do you know if most programs even end up seeing update USMLE transcripts before finalizing rank lists? It seems like most people never release an updated transcript that shows their Step 2 scores if they came back after submitting ERAS.

https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/ab_ACGMEPoliciesProcedures.pdf

A program that has requested Voluntary Withdrawal of Accreditation:
(a) may not accept new residents and/or fellows;
(b) may not request “reversal” of the action after submitting the request (regardless of the proposed effective date);
(c) may seek re-accreditation after a period of 12 months following the effective date of the Voluntary Withdrawal; and,
(d) through its sponsoring institution, is responsible for placement of its current residents in other ACGME-accredited programs.
Wow this is amazing. You are an amazing resource. Thanks for all you do for us on here.

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome - thank you so much! So it's definitely not something to worry about (ie a PD wouldn't drop you off the rank list for not having a score back for CS)? Also, do you know if most programs even end up seeing update USMLE transcripts before finalizing rank lists? It seems like most people never release an updated transcript that shows their Step 2 scores if they came back after submitting ERAS.
I really don't think this is the case. When they mean Step 2 -- I really think they're more talking about Step 2 CK, since Step 2 CS is a joke, at least when we took it. Programs only see updated USMLE transcripts if you checked the box to automatically send your scores. If not, then I believe you have to manually send them to each program on ERAS.

I really don't think this is the case. When they mean Step 2 -- I really think they're more talking about Step 2 CK, since Step 2 CS is a joke, at least when we took it. Programs only see updated USMLE transcripts if you checked the box to automatically send your scores. If not, then I believe you have to manually send them to each program on ERAS.

Not sure about Cleveland clinic...but I know UCSF requires both Step 2 CK and CS scores by February 15th. You can google it...its on their website.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/servi...fessionals/dematology-residencies-fellowships
Please be advised that this year's candidates should have completed and received their Step 1 USMLE scores and have sat or will be sitting for their Step 2 CK USMLE test prior to the close of our deadline...

I e-mailed the coordinator about this point since I wasn't scheduled to sit for CK until mid-November....her response was "We would like to have your step 2 USMLE report when application are released in ERAS however we have never been strict with that." If that helps anyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I e-mailed the coordinator about this point since I wasn't scheduled to sit for CK until mid-November....her response was "We would like to have your step 2 USMLE report when application are released in ERAS however we have never been strict with that." If that helps anyone!
Um, that doesn't make any sense. lol. Most med students have not taken Step 2 CK by the time applications are sent early in the fall.

Sup dermites, this might be wishful thinking but anyone know if there's any chance that UPenn or UCSF may send out another wave of invites? Less likely UCSF maybe, but perhaps UPenn?

I could be wrong, but it seems like UPenn sent out invites for their 1/8 date. Was anyone offered the option for the 15th or 22nd? I think someone mentioned on the Google Doc (now deleted) that there would be more invites.

has anyone received any response/confirmation from miami about reserving a spot for the 11th? getting nervous...

I could be wrong, but it seems like UPenn sent out invites for their 1/8 date. Was anyone offered the option for the 15th or 22nd? I think someone mentioned on the Google Doc (now deleted) that there would be more invites.
They have sent out invites in addition to the 1/8 date.

Hello! I have an interview at University of Washington in Seattle on January 9th, and I need to change it to January 23rd. I have already posted this on the google doc but just in case anyone who has the January 23rd date sees it here and is willing to swap with me, I will compensate. Please call or text if you are interested: 713-398-2344. Thanks!

Hello! I have an interview at University of Washington in Seattle on January 9th, and I need to change it to January 23rd. I have already posted this on the google doc but just in case anyone who has the January 23rd date sees it here and is willing to swap with me, I will compensate. Please call or text if you are interested: 713-398-2344. Thanks!

If you can't attend, can you just give me your interview spot? K thanks bye.

At what point are ya'll with conflicting interviews at the beginning of January going to cancel so that others can have access to those spots?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else who received an interview invite from UTHS Houston not been able to get in touch with Irene to confirm their interview date?? I've emailed her and called twice with two voicemails but have heard nothing in return...

Hello colleagues, here is another question for those in the know. Say you interview at Derm programs with pgy2 beginning in 2015 as well as pgy2 beginning in 2016. Both are happening through March 2015 match cycle. Does NRMP require you to rank them separately (as for example prelims are ranked separately from advanced positions)? Or does it require them to be ranked together even though the years of the start of the position are different? In other words, does the match rank list go by the pgy of the position, or by the actual real world year the position actually starts?

Anyone know what the status is for Virginia Commonwealth invites? At one time the Google document said they had issued invites, but now it doesn't.

anyone who has interviewed at albert einstein or other programs with AM/PM sessions:

if you are scheduled for an AM session, is it safe to plan leaving at 12:15 pm if you have to be somewhere that night?

Hello colleagues, here is another question for those in the know. Say you interview at Derm programs with pgy2 beginning in 2015 as well as pgy2 beginning in 2016. Both are happening through March 2015 match cycle. Does NRMP require you to rank them separately (as for example prelims are ranked separately from advanced positions)? Or does it require them to be ranked together even though the years of the start of the position are different? In other words, does the match rank list go by the pgy of the position, or by the actual real world year the position actually starts?

Nvm guys and gals. I just called the NRMP and they said it goes by PGY status. So all PGY2 positions (regardless of start year) go on the same rank list...which makes sense when you really think about it, otherwise you could end up matching at two different PGY2 programs with different starting years...Just thought I'd share for anyone who ends up having the same thought...

anyone who has interviewed at albert einstein or other programs with AM/PM sessions:

if you are scheduled for an AM session, is it safe to plan leaving at 12:15 pm if you have to be somewhere that night?

During my cycle they had 2 or 3 AM sessions. If you are the earlier AM session folk, you can bet on leaving by 10ish. If you are the latter session, you can still by lunch time (lunch is provided for the PM folks I think)

But check with the coordinator, things may have changed. Good luck!

That was so thoughtful of the U of Washington to send a rejection email with all email addresses visible... Lots of @bignameschool.edu

Reactions: 2 users
wondering if anyone can comment on what the interview invites will be like from here on out. nearly all schools have sent out at least a first round of invites. is this the point where the interviews you have are all you'll have?

You can get more. I think I got a Mayo invite late Dec/ early Jan. In my opinion, as much as people say that once you get the interview you are on even ground, I have the impression that you are often known to be a 'second choice' candidate if someone else cancels.

However, we can ruminate on that all day, but it doesn't change the fact that you go to an interview for Derm regardless of how you got it.

wondering if anyone can comment on what the interview invites will be like from here on out. nearly all schools have sent out at least a first round of invites. is this the point where the interviews you have are all you'll have?
I have a classmate that just got 2 later invites the other day from programs that had already sent out their main invites. She turned them down because they were conflicting with more desirable programs, so there is still some movement going on out there.

You can get more. I think I got a Mayo invite late Dec/ early Jan. In my opinion, as much as people say that once you get the interview you are on even ground, I have the impression that you are often known to be a 'second choice' candidate if someone else cancels.

However, we can ruminate on that all day, but it doesn't change the fact that you go to an interview for Derm regardless of how you got it.
I wonder about this same idea of being a second choice candidate. I don't think it's a big deal. I think the bigger issue is that if you are randomly selected to interview at some place then you have to compete with the home program students, research fellows and away rotators who typically have a leg up on you from the start. That's probably a more difficult obstacle, but that applies at any program where you didn't rotate.

That was so thoughtful of the U of Washington to send a rejection email with all email addresses visible... Lots of @bignameschool.edu

They did the same thing a few years ago when I was applying.

I think there will be more interview invites for sure. If a program hasn't sent out rejections yet, it means you're not rejected. I got a last-minute invite last week (for an interview this week) and I got a rejection yesterday from a program who rejected most people about 4 weeks ago (meaning they held out on rejecting me for some unknown reason).

Also, U Washington. It was nice to see that literally rejected every single other applicant from my ("top") school, so I felt in good company.

I find it crazy that the Marshfield Clinic, one of three programs in Wisconsin and located in a town of 18,000 people, has the same size residency program as the University of Washington (which serves Washington/Wyoming/Alaska/Montana/Idaho).

for those with >15 invites, are you planning on going to all of them if your schedule permits? i have had mentors tell me to limit to 12-15 to prevent fatigue from impacting interview performance.

for those with >15 invites, are you planning on going to all of them if your schedule permits? i have had mentors tell me to limit to 12-15 to prevent fatigue from impacting interview performance.
Derp...

Last edited:
I find it crazy that the Marshfield Clinic, one of three programs in Wisconsin and located in a town of 18,000 people, has the same size residency program as the University of Washington (which serves Washington/Wyoming/Alaska/Montana/Idaho).
UWashington Derm is also a more research oriented program and recruits accordingly, so not surprised. They only take 2 a year. As a med school they emphasize primary care.

Last edited:
I have a classmate that just got 2 later invites the other day from programs that had already sent out their main invites. She turned them down because they were conflicting with more desirable programs, so there is still some movement going on out there.

I wonder about this same idea of being a second choice candidate. I don't think it's a big deal. I think the bigger issue is that if you are randomly selected to interview at some place then you have to compete with the home program students, research fellows and away rotators who typically have a leg up on you from the start. That's probably a more difficult obstacle, but that applies at any program where you didn't rotate.
But it's even more difficult to evaluate when you have 2 conflicting programs on the same day where you can only go to one, as to which program you're more likely to match at. Happens in other specialties as well, although those in IM and Peds can say, thanks but no thanks as it was obviously a let's just fill our slots invite.

I see what you're trying to do there. Clever.

haha not trolling, i do have ~20 and getting exhausted already. it's to others' benefit if i don't go...
Good grief. lol. Did you just pack all your interviews early on?

Good grief. lol. Did you just pack all your interviews early on?
yeah, i tried to get the earliest dates possible since i know most interview in jan and the weather is even worse then. so i've been on >5 already and getting really tired. i think it's apparent from my post history i'm not a troll... i think i might get a few more invites in jan from cancellations. i know derm is tough but really wondering at what point i can stop? haha. but anyway, much appreciate your advice dermviser!

yeah, i tried to get the earliest dates possible since i know most interview in jan and the weather is even worse then. so i've been on >5 already and getting really tired. i think it's apparent from my post history i'm not a troll... i think i might get a few more invites in jan from cancellations. i know derm is tough but really wondering at what point i can stop? haha. but anyway, much appreciate your advice dermviser!
That's really hard to say then. The whole process is tiring -- physically (I hate the entire process of getting ready, flying, checking things 2-3 times, making sure things don't get lost), mentally in keeping up appearances for the entire day rotating with each faculty member, etc. etc. Esp. if the place isn't a place you want to go to. I would hate to say, quit after x number, and have you not match later. Not likely since you're obviously a great enough candidate to net ~20 interviews, so in terms of Charting Outcomes, you approach the probably of 1.0 in matching once you do 15-16 interviews. It's Graph DM-1: Probability of Matching to Preferred Specialty by Number of Contiguous Ranks.

Last edited:
That's really hard to say then. The whole process is tiring -- physically (I hate the entire process of getting ready, flying, checking things 2-3 times, making sure things don't get lost), mentally in keeping up appearances for the entire day rotating with each faculty member, etc. etc. Esp. if the place isn't a place you want to go to. I would hate to say, quit after x number, and have you not match later. Not likely since you're obviously a great enough candidate to net ~20 interviews, so in terms of Charting Outcomes, you approach the probably of 1.0 in matching once you do 15-16 interviews. It's Graph DM-1: Probability of Matching to Preferred Specialty by Number of Contiguous Ranks.
yeah, it's early dec and i'm already really tired, and really sick of flying. but of course, i would hate even more to do this again next year. the only thing is i'm wondering if it's going to take more interviews to match this year since there are so many applicants, and guessing programs are not interviewing as many of the same pool of people as they would have previously. :dead:

yeah, it's early dec and i'm already really tired, and really sick of flying. but of course, i would hate even more to do this again next year. the only thing is i'm wondering if it's going to take more interviews to match this year since there are so many applicants, and guessing programs are not interviewing as many of the same pool of people as they would have previously. :dead:
Well according to Dr. Kimball in the APD newsletter, she said you only need 7 contiguous ranks to match and that was just this past March. Are the rest of the programs left places you REALLY want to go to? Obviously going there tired, exhausted, and not your 120% best, is a waste. Realize since Charting Outcomes has come out, a lot of self-selection takes place as well.

Needless to say, my sympathy for you is quite low to be in the position you're in. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well according to Dr. Kimball in the APD newsletter, she said you only need 7 contiguous ranks to match and that was just this past March. Are the rest of the programs left places you REALLY want to go to? Obviously going there tired, exhausted, and not your 120% best, is a waste. Realize since Charting Outcomes has come out, a lot of self-selection takes place as well.

Needless to say, my sympathy for you is quite low to be in the position you're in. ;)

Would you mind posting the link to the APD newsletter again?

anyone know if med students can get in trouble for accepting compensation for switching interview dates?