2014/2015 PM&R Interview Experiences Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wayne State (Oakwood)

# of Applicants: 5

Interview day structure: met in conference room w/ breakfast, intro to program, interviews, lunch (sandwiches), tour

# of interviews + w/who?: 5 ~20-30min. 1)Chair 2) asst PD 3) faculty 4) PC & one PA 5) 2 residents. Interviews schedule was a bit unorganized & ran a bit long

Residents: nice, got a feeling they were not totally happy

Programs directors: Asst. PD was very nice & personable. Chair was a bit self absorbed, barely let's you get a word in & does a little pimping

Fellowships offered: don't remember other than starting a Sports Med one

Call schedule: home call

Best Features: categorical pgm

Any negatives: nothing specific just the overall feeling for me

Anything else:
Didactics are on 18mo rotation (cover 2x over training)
Board review course in WA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Loma Linda

# of Applicants: 9ish

Interview day structure: (from memory) Breakfast with program overview. Interviews with refreshments in between. Tour of the facility.

# of interviews + w/who?: 4ish ~20-30min. 1)PD 2) asst PD 3) faculty 4) 2 chief residents at same time 5) 2 residents.

During the downtime you sat around a table with snacks and the other residents.

Residents: They all seemed nice. Many if not all were married with children. Quite a few came to the breakfast.

Programs directors: PD was a nice guy, not the most personable I met on the trail, but not the least. Directly asked about any affiliation with 7 day Adventists. Assistant PD was really nice and personable.

Fellowships offered: I know there is pain there

Best Features: categorical. great benefits Nice weather, PMR pain program. Literally the nicest patient rooms I have ever seen...ever

Any negatives: Loma Linda is really in its own world. An hour from LA. The program pass rate is not great. One resident said he wouldn't come here if given the chance again, which to me is a huge red flag.

Anything else:
Really nice gym, reasonable cost of living. Oh, there is NO coffee in the hospital or during your breakfast introduction. Felt like a strong So Cal bias for applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
U of Kentucky

# of Applicants: 3

Interview day structure: (from memory) Breakfast with program overview by PD. Interviews. Lunch. Tour of the facility.

# of interviews + w/who?: 3~30min. 1)Faculty 2) Faculty who was recent grad 3) Research doc

Interviews were one after the other with minimal breaks

Residents: They all seemed nice but somewhat quite. Most came to lunch

Programs directors: PD was a nice lady, really pumped up the program and the college.

Fellowships offered: I know there is pain there and sports I think

Best Features: categorical. Pain. top 10% of programs in regards to injections nationally. Really varied program with lots of strengths. Some pretty slick and expensive rehab equipment.

Any negatives: Well Kentucky... While being categorical it was by far and away the most rigorous prelim year I saw 80 hrs a week consistently. Not much research support, but they are actively working on it.

Anything else:
Great cost of living, nice looking facility. This is really a fantastic program and worth looking into if you are regional or want a great program that seemingly is floating under the radar of most applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor - Dallas

# of Applicants: 6ish

Interview day structure: (from memory) Breakfast with program overview by PD and almost every resident. Interviews. Lunch. Tour of the facility.

# of interviews + w/who?: PD, faculty, resident (I think?) PD had a list of standard Q's she liked to ask

Interviews were one after the other with minimal breaks

Residents: Some of the happiest residents out there, all loved it there and said they made a great choice.

Programs directors: PD was a nice lady and was really liked by all the residents.

Fellowships offered: Don't remember

Call schedule: Home call one week at a time

Best Features: Happy residents, good outpatient, lots of research opportunities.

Any negatives: Some driving (up to 45min) to a site. Didn't seem as competitive for fellowship positions as other places.

Anything else:
Nice city, can buy house if you want. Smaller program then most. I liked it but did not love it.

Great thread guys and gals. Once again, SDN to the rescue. I know this is a long shot for anyone to remember much from last years interviews, but did anyone have any experiences at the Chicago programs other than Loyola and RIC? Namely Schwabb, Rush, and MarianJoy?