You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Nebraska Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also an IS applicant, first time applying and am doing EDP. @noahh5 just out of curiosity did you apply EDP last time? I am still debating what I want to do... I would imagine it's not "easier" to get in one way or the other but who knows? I take the MCAT 7/2 so one of the disadvantages for me applying EDP is I won't know my MCAT score until after I have submitted my app...
Also an IS applicant, first time applying and am doing EDP. @noahh5 just out of curiosity did you apply EDP last time? I am still debating what I want to do... I would imagine it's not "easier" to get in one way or the other but who knows? I take the MCAT 7/2 so one of the disadvantages for me applying EDP is I won't know my MCAT score until after I have submitted my app...
No, the first time through I applied regular admissions. It was a tough choice for me too, but UNMC is first choice for me. EDP is going to limit when your app is sent to your other school
Last edited:
IS applying ED here.
UNMC is my #1. I am a little hopeful because I did paid summer research at UNMC, I volunteer at UNMC, shadowed at UNMC, and am getting a LOR from someone up high at UNMC. 3.7 cumulative, MCAT on 6/21 in just a few days. Not too hopeful on the MCAT right now to be completely honest. My school really didn't prepare me much for it and so playing catch up is tough.
Currently working as an allergy technician in Council Bluffs IA
UNMC is my #1. I am a little hopeful because I did paid summer research at UNMC, I volunteer at UNMC, shadowed at UNMC, and am getting a LOR from someone up high at UNMC. 3.7 cumulative, MCAT on 6/21 in just a few days. Not too hopeful on the MCAT right now to be completely honest. My school really didn't prepare me much for it and so playing catch up is tough.
Currently working as an allergy technician in Council Bluffs IA
IS applying ED here.
UNMC is my #1. I am a little hopeful because I did paid summer research at UNMC, I volunteer at UNMC, shadowed at UNMC, and am getting a LOR from someone up high at UNMC. 3.7 cumulative, MCAT on 6/21 in just a few days. Not too hopeful on the MCAT right now to be completely honest. My school really didn't prepare me much for it and so playing catch up is tough.
Currently working as an allergy technician in Council Bluffs IA
Just to ease your anxiety a little: I had a good GPA and a 29 mcat when I applied last cycle and Gigi told me straight up that my academics were fine and all I needed was more clinical hours. I don't think UNMC is too terribly concerned with mcat scores for IS applicants as long as it's decent.
Thanks Zelda.
I have good confidence in the rest of my app, so that makes me feel really good. But I haven't gotten anywhere near the amount of studying that I wanted. I did take a full length before I started studying and got a number that would be good for some DO schools though, so here's to hoping it's good enough.
If I do not get in ED, and the number is not where it needs to be for any other schools, I may just forget this cycle and take the MCAT at the latest possible date in 2014 after studying more and just apply next cycle.
I have good confidence in the rest of my app, so that makes me feel really good. But I haven't gotten anywhere near the amount of studying that I wanted. I did take a full length before I started studying and got a number that would be good for some DO schools though, so here's to hoping it's good enough.
If I do not get in ED, and the number is not where it needs to be for any other schools, I may just forget this cycle and take the MCAT at the latest possible date in 2014 after studying more and just apply next cycle.
I agree, Gigi told me the exact same thing. As long as you did everything she tells you at the exit interview you should have a pretty good shot at UNMCJust to ease your anxiety a little: I had a good GPA and a 29 mcat when I applied last cycle and Gigi told me straight up that my academics were fine and all I needed was more clinical hours. I don't think UNMC is too terribly concerned with mcat scores for IS applicants as long as it's decent.
I just want a good shot the first cycle 🙂
I did meet with Gigi yesterday and she said she doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't apply EDP so that gives me some confidence. and i am going to schedule an appointment with dr. hill as well. anything i can do for them to remember my name or face
I did meet with Gigi yesterday and she said she doesn't see any reason why I shouldn't apply EDP so that gives me some confidence. and i am going to schedule an appointment with dr. hill as well. anything i can do for them to remember my name or face
Do almost all in-state applicants receive an interview invitation?
pretty muchDo almost all in-state applicants receive an interview invitation?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think UNMC does secondaries (sorry if this is asinine, but I could have sworn I saw that)Anyone receive secondary yet?
Well, I'm not submitted yet. I was told that EDP apps all get reviewed after the Aug 1st deadline, so there is no benefit, nor harm, in submitting my app up until that point. Was told they start reviewing EDP apps mid September. So I am waiting for my MCAT scores to be released late July. If they are not on par with applying at all or not applying EDP then I will change my plan. Unfortunately, I didn't feel extremely confident in the MCAT, so I don't feel comfortable submitting my app yet because if I score what would not be competitive for EDP, then i am essentially waiting until October 1st to start applying elsewhere.
It's sort of a lose lose, but potential gain, situation.
It's sort of a lose lose, but potential gain, situation.
EDP then?Interview for August 29th!!
are you in state? also, if you wouldn't mind, i think some of us could get an idea for ourselves if you posted stats if you are comfortable with that. but totally understand if you would like not to.
I received the secondary app this morning also
The email I received as sorta confused me. It says pay the fee for my application to be reviewed, THEN i might get a secondary???
EDP then?
are you in state? also, if you wouldn't mind, i think some of us could get an idea for ourselves if you posted stats if you are comfortable with that. but totally understand if you would like not to.
yea I decided to go EDP and cGPA-3.73 sGPA-3.64 my mcat is poor but when I spoke with gigi and she didn't think it was a problem (9 Verbal, 9 Physical, 10 Biological), and feel that I have a significant amount of ECs
You pay the fee then you will get an email later after they process your app saying you can select an interveiw date, it will also ask where your LORs are coming from and a few other trivial things....that's pretty much it.The email I received as sorta confused me. It says pay the fee for my application to be reviewed, THEN i might get a secondary???
You pay the fee then you will get an email later after they process your app saying you can select an interveiw date, it will also ask where your LORs are coming from and a few other trivial things....that's pretty much it.
Cool. Assuming I get an interview 🙂 (I'm OOS).
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nice job, i'm right there with you... just hoping the MCAT is at least a 27, otherwise I'm afraid I won't stand a chanceyea I decided to go EDP and cGPA-3.73 sGPA-3.64 my mcat is poor but when I spoke with gigi and she didn't think it was a problem (9 Verbal, 9 Physical, 10 Biological), and feel that I have a significant amount of ECs
Rejection lol. OOS. They said this:
" ...However, if you think that this administrative rejection has resulted because we have overlooked something in your application materials, we invite you to appeal this decision by email (reply). In your appeal, you should explain why your application should be considered above other non-resident applicants to UNMC and bring to our attention any special attributes that we should take into account. The following list provides information about some of the criteria that we consider to be potentially valid reasons for an appeal:
• Past, present or future ties to Nebraska that are not readily apparent in your application, especially through family
• Overcoming adversity in your personal life or education
• Surmounting personal or family financial challenges
• Overcoming medical challenges for yourself or loved ones
• Special attributes or experiences that distinguish you as an applicant
Please note that high MCAT scores and GPA alone are not considered valid criteria for appeal. Each applicant will be permitted one opportunity to appeal this administrative rejection. UNMC College of Medicine decisions on an appeal are final."
Not sure If I should bother.
" ...However, if you think that this administrative rejection has resulted because we have overlooked something in your application materials, we invite you to appeal this decision by email (reply). In your appeal, you should explain why your application should be considered above other non-resident applicants to UNMC and bring to our attention any special attributes that we should take into account. The following list provides information about some of the criteria that we consider to be potentially valid reasons for an appeal:
• Past, present or future ties to Nebraska that are not readily apparent in your application, especially through family
• Overcoming adversity in your personal life or education
• Surmounting personal or family financial challenges
• Overcoming medical challenges for yourself or loved ones
• Special attributes or experiences that distinguish you as an applicant
Please note that high MCAT scores and GPA alone are not considered valid criteria for appeal. Each applicant will be permitted one opportunity to appeal this administrative rejection. UNMC College of Medicine decisions on an appeal are final."
Not sure If I should bother.
Same here, OOS and got rejected yesterday. And this is right after having paid for the secondary. Really makes a joke out of "secondary applications."Rejection lol. OOS. They said this:
" ...However, if you think that this administrative rejection has resulted because we have overlooked something in your application materials, we invite you to appeal this decision by email (reply). In your appeal, you should explain why your application should be considered above other non-resident applicants to UNMC and bring to our attention any special attributes that we should take into account. The following list provides information about some of the criteria that we consider to be potentially valid reasons for an appeal:
• Past, present or future ties to Nebraska that are not readily apparent in your application, especially through family
• Overcoming adversity in your personal life or education
• Surmounting personal or family financial challenges
• Overcoming medical challenges for yourself or loved ones
• Special attributes or experiences that distinguish you as an applicant
Please note that high MCAT scores and GPA alone are not considered valid criteria for appeal. Each applicant will be permitted one opportunity to appeal this administrative rejection. UNMC College of Medicine decisions on an appeal are final."
Not sure If I should bother.
I just wrote a short appeal after looking through last years thread. It worked for a lot of people for some reason haha. I don't expect mine to work because of my stats but I figured why not, they already took our money..Same here, OOS and got rejected yesterday. And this is right after having paid for the secondary. Really makes a joke out of "secondary applications."
There are very few OOS spots relative to other programs. I get the impression that they do this to OOS-ers frequently to separate the people that applied to 25+ schools from the people that actually want to be a part of UNMC. The same thing happened to me last year. If you truly want to be a part of the program, show them by writing an appeal and tell them why this school is the right fit for you!
I really don't think they're looking for outstanding stats. I think they're looking for strong ties to the state.I just wrote a short appeal after looking through last years thread. It worked for a lot of people for some reason haha. I don't expect mine to work because of my stats but I figured why not, they already took our money..
One of my parents used to be a professor at UNL. Could this be a strong enough tie to help an OOS? I'm not sure if I should even bother paying the $ for the secondary if i'm gonna get a rejection the next day... FWIW, 3.7 cGPS, 3.6sGPA, 27(11/6/10), retake 32 (12/8/12)
Just to ease your anxiety a little: I had a good GPA and a 29 mcat when I applied last cycle and Gigi told me straight up that my academics were fine and all I needed was more clinical hours. I don't think UNMC is too terribly concerned with mcat scores for IS applicants as long as it's decent.
Did Gigi say how many clinical hours you should aim for?
Rejection lol. OOS. They said this:
" ...However, if you think that this administrative rejection has resulted because we have overlooked something in your application materials, we invite you to appeal this decision by email (reply). In your appeal, you should explain why your application should be considered above other non-resident applicants to UNMC and bring to our attention any special attributes that we should take into account. The following list provides information about some of the criteria that we consider to be potentially valid reasons for an appeal:
• Past, present or future ties to Nebraska that are not readily apparent in your application, especially through family
• Overcoming adversity in your personal life or education
• Surmounting personal or family financial challenges
• Overcoming medical challenges for yourself or loved ones
• Special attributes or experiences that distinguish you as an applicant
Please note that high MCAT scores and GPA alone are not considered valid criteria for appeal. Each applicant will be permitted one opportunity to appeal this administrative rejection. UNMC College of Medicine decisions on an appeal are final."
Not sure If I should bother.
Same here, OOS and got rejected yesterday. And this is right after having paid for the secondary. Really makes a joke out of "secondary applications."
Would you guys mind sharing your stats?
Anyone hear anything back after appealing?
Also OOS and received a oh so pleasant rejection today. Wish they would have at least done this OOS screening before having us pay $70. Makes me not even want to go to this school if they are going to pull a move like that!
Also OOS and received a oh so pleasant rejection today. Wish they would have at least done this OOS screening before having us pay $70. Makes me not even want to go to this school if they are going to pull a move like that!
+1
I live 1 hour from this school, but in a different state, and they still didn't even give my application a chance. If you are OOS and don't have a GREAT connection, I wouldn't attempt this school. They will just steal your money.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm starting my first year at UNMC this august and one thing I've learned so far is that Is that Gigi and the other staff here are more than willing to answer any questions you might have! UNMC is definitely favors in state applicants, OOS applicants need to show some ties to Nebraska (and an interest in practicing family medicine in a rural Nebraska area doesn't hurt either). I was accepted through a BS/MD program at my undergrad, so I didn't quite through the normal application process but feel free to ask me any questions that you might have and I'll do my best to answer them!
Good luck to all those applying!
Good luck to all those applying!
Also applying here, interview Oct.3rd.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
