-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 University of Nevada Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Have you read the standards for OOS students (http://medicine.nevada.edu/asa/admissions/applicants/out-of-state-applicants). Without a classification as in-state based on former residence in NV (these are on the site as well somewhere), as you are not from a state they currently accept students from, I think you might be wasting $36.Applying as an OOS from NorCal
I would advise referring to the site or contacting the admissions office...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That information is in the MSAR.
Applying OOS myself. 3.5/36 - Reno holds a special place in my heart.
Applying OOS myself. 3.5/36 - Reno holds a special place in my heart.
Me too. So excited that Oregon was added to the list. 3.9/32 here. People badmouth Reno but I've always liked its quirkyness and it's in a great location with proximity to Tahoe, the bay area and Vegas. That plus the small class size puts Nevada high on my list.
Checking the thread from 2013-2014, I noticed that the secondary hand outs are notoriously slow. It'll be worth the wait. Excited 😀
I'm almost all caught up on secondaries so Nevada is welcome now!
Fine by me. Thanks for the information! Best of luck to you.It doesnt come till september or october. They start late and there's usually decent waitlist activity?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ Do you mean you have to have research to get accepted or that you have to complete research while a MS?
@feeling-dizzy I saw your post and I am sorry for the bad news. You wrote that you were "complete" 8/12. Did you actually receive a secondary?
@feeling-dizzy I saw your post and I am sorry for the bad news. You wrote that you were "complete" 8/12. Did you actually receive a secondary?
Thanks for linking in feeling-dizzy, @Leslie_Knope . I saw that post and I was confused as well since I called Pat Romney and I believe she said that secondaries for IS only were only just sent recently.
Oh, and FYI, she said that OOS secondaries will go through a screening process and those who make the cut should receive it in about 3-4 weeks.
Thanks for the information! UNR and Vanderbilt are the only two schools that haven't sent me secondaries. I'm not holding my breath for Vanderbilt.Thanks for linking in feeling-dizzy, @Leslie_Knope . I saw that post and I was confused as well since I called Pat Romney and I believe she said that secondaries for IS only were only just sent recently.
Oh, and FYI, she said that OOS secondaries will go through a screening process and those who make the cut should receive it in about 3-4 weeks.
Hello. I'm a former grad of UNSOM, now attending surgical residency. Willing to answer questions about the school that I can answer. Do not know anything about OOS applications, and my knowledge on the application process itself is pretty dated now but I can still answer questions about the classes, environment, teachers, attendings, etc.
Good luck.
Good luck.
Is anyone having problems with the residency form and the instruction page? I want to submit, but cannot get either of these two to work (the instructions tab is completely blank and the residency form won't come up - I tried updating adobe and on different computers).
Is anyone having problems with the residency form and the instruction page? I want to submit, but cannot get either of these two to work (the instructions tab is completely blank and the residency form won't come up - I tried updating adobe and on different computers).
mine wouldn't open with preview but I could get it with adobe (although I suppose you tried that). Have you tried "downloading the linked file" and then opening it direct on your desktop (instead of having a browser plug-in open it)?
I called on Friday and they fixed it right away for me.Is anyone having problems with the residency form and the instruction page? I want to submit, but cannot get either of these two to work (the instructions tab is completely blank and the residency form won't come up - I tried updating adobe and on different computers).
Is anyone having difficulty getting the application fee to be marked as complete. I payed it and got a receipt emailed to me, but it won't mark it as complete so I can submit the application.
Thanks for linking in feeling-dizzy, @Leslie_Knope . I saw that post and I was confused as well since I called Pat Romney and I believe she said that secondaries for IS only were only just sent recently.
Oh, and FYI, she said that OOS secondaries will go through a screening process and those who make the cut should receive it in about 3-4 weeks.
Whaaaat?? I'm in state and haven't received a secondary yet... Now I'm worried🙁
mine wouldn't open with preview but I could get it with adobe (although I suppose you tried that). Have you tried "downloading the linked file" and then opening it direct on your desktop (instead of having a browser plug-in open it)?
I called on Friday and they fixed it right away for me.
Is anyone having difficulty getting the application fee to be marked as complete. I payed it and got a receipt emailed to me, but it won't mark it as complete so I can submit the application.
I sent an email and they Patricia fixed it right away. Thanks everyone! 🙂
They only send secondaries to applicants that "meet interview criteria" and also require you to submit it within 5 days. UNRSOM is notoriously slow with their secondaries though so I wouldn't fret yet especially being IS.
Ok, I'll try not to freak out lol. Do you know if they send rejection or hold emails among reviewing your application? Or is it just silence and maybe you'll get a secondary?
OOS from Idaho. Chances are slim at this school, but if I get the opportunity to fill out the secondary, could somebody from IS with a secondary please post this year's essay prompts? With five days, I would be smart to write a draft. THANK YOU
There's no true essay prompts. There's a free text box to briefly describe research experience and another free text box to "provide any additional detail." Oh, and there's a box to list any healthcare related experiences you've had. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So some instate applicants already got their secondaries? I am instate, and haven't gotten mine yet and my app was completed by 3rd week of July or so.
I didn't apply early decision though.
I didn't apply early decision either and I got mine last week. I think they're just sending them out gradually - I got worried for a second (see a few posts above) but I got mine shortly afterward. It'll come. If it helps, I was verified during the 2nd week of July
Hmmm... Secondary submitted 8/25 (within the 5 day window) but my letters haven't been marked as "received". Is this true for anyone else? I know UNSOM takes its time with pretty much every phase of this process, so I'm not panicking. I'd just love a confirmation from someone else. Thanks.
Hmmm... Secondary submitted 8/25 (within the 5 day window) but my letters haven't been marked as "received". Is this true for anyone else? I know UNSOM takes its time with pretty much every phase of this process, so I'm not panicking. I'd just love a confirmation from someone else. Thanks.
i was submitted a little bit before you and mine are marked as received... it took a few days though (not sure exactly how long though)
Ok. I'll wait a few more days before I bug Pat about it. Thanksi was submitted a little bit before you and mine are marked as received... it took a few days though (not sure exactly how long though)
II received today. In state and my secondary was complete September 6
II received today. In state and my secondary was complete September 6
II as well 🙂
I guess I should give up on ever hearing from Nevada. Didn't even get a secondary...🙁
Perk up. From what I heard they're pretty slow at doing stuff so don't count yourself out yet.
That being said, are you OOS? I don't think they're very friendly to out of staters..
Last edited:
Yeah I'm OOS. Ah well.. We shall seePerk up. From what I heard they're pretty slow at doing stuff so don't count yourself out yet.
That being said, are you OOS? I don't think they're very friendly to out of staters..
Pat said OOSers won't be sent secondaries until October.Yeah I'm OOS. Ah well.. We shall see
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No OOS secondaries yet?
NopeNo OOS secondaries yet?
Nope
Definitely a slow process.
I guess I spoke too soon. Just got a rejection email. That's weird. Good luck to the rest of you. I knew it was a long shot being OOS, but I expected to at least get a secondary.
Just interviewed this week. This school is awesome, their new facilities(medical education building, anatomy labs, patient simulation rooms) are probably the best you are going to see anywhere.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
