This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJ1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,
I am an Indian medical graduate preparing for step 1.

My fiance is a 2014 graduate from India. Have been working under an Internist at a tertiary care hospital and has few international publications as 2nd and 3rd author. He has been preparing for step 1 too.plan to give it around feb.-Mar.

Queries [updated after some responses]:

1. will it be better that he try to get > 240 in step 1 and ck and get pass result on step 2 cs & apply for (individual) 2019 match (and be under 5 years since graduation candidate) i.e before Sep. 15, 2018 w/o any USCE or max. 1-2 LORs
or

better that he get >240 on both steps and do step 2 cs and apply for (individual) Match 2020 ( with risk of > 5 years since graduation),but with step 3 + some good USCE (3 or more LORS) ?

2. Is there a way to determine how many programs do not have this >5 years since graduation filter ; other than me researching Frieda's every IM program's website and making my own list?

3. Are there any legal ways to get around > 5 yr filter for interviews?

4. what else can he do to increase his chances, if he applies in 2020?

I need to know answers to the above because we can still turn back and work towards our home country PG Entrance exams instead of pursuing something with so much gamble.
There is no point in waiting for step scores if the no. of programs left for >5 years since graduation candidate reduce significantly because he won't even be considered for i/vs even if gets good scores and USCE .
And even if he tries hard to apply by Sep. 2018, it wd mean he won't get enough USCE which is again an explicit or implicit requirement for many programs.

I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE IF @gyngyn ,@mcl ,@aProgDirector , @PDTY ,@Winged Scapula,@gutonc ,@SouthernSurgeon ,@Frederica ,@killerleaf ,@Raryn, @lockjaw ,@smq123 ,@mvenus929 ,@SpecializedSurgeon ,@Smurfette COULD GUIDE/ADVISE ME.
anyone else with a similar experience/any useful anecdote or advise is welcome too!

Hope to see a response soon.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
Dr. Shubhangi

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. It's hard to say. Sometimes a program wants a couple, since it fills two spots. Sometimes one person in the couple is much weaker than the other, and then announcing that you're a couple might actually hurt the stronger candidate. Much depends also if you're applying to programs that are singletons (i.e. they are the only program in the area), or if you're applying in a location where there are lots of programs -- in the latter, a program might not worry about inviting only one 1/2 of a couple. If you're applying to different fields, then that makes this less of an issue.

In any case, you have two options -- you can indicate in your ERAS application that you're a couple, or you can not do so and still match in NRMP as a couple. There's no rule that you must tell programs that you're a couple.

2. There is no way. If a program doesn't consider grads more than 5 years out, then they won't consider you. perhaps if you work at that site, or they otherwise get to know you, they might bend their rules. But that's unrealistic for most.

3. You've only talked about step 1. As IMG's, you will want Step 1 and both parts of Step 2 completed before you apply. Doing as well as possible on both is good.

4. There's no way to answer this question.

Reactions: 1 users
@aProgDirector Thanks alot for replying.
follow up queries based on ur reply:

1. Is his > 5 years since graduation thing such a RED FLAG that it would be wiser not to aim for couple match or it can be compensated for by his & my good scores and USCE?

2. does personally calling up the PCs before applying and asking them to look into the application despite > 5 years since graduation help ? + because i will be under 5 years since graduation for Match 2020, so i can get in on the programs which he won't and try to get him i/vs where i do. Can that help?

3. I meant > 240 on ALL steps in first attempt inc. step 2 cs done + if possible step 3 done before applying itself.
Apart from that what can he do to increase his chances to compensate for > 5 years since graduation? what kind and length of USCE should he plan for ?

4. I think i need to explain/ re-frame my question.
will it be better that he try to get > 240 in step 1 and ck and get pass result on step 2 cs before Sep. 15, 2018 with 0-2 US LORs and apply for (individual) 2019 match (and be under 5 years since graduation candidate)
or
better that he get >240 on both steps and do step 2 cs + step 3 + some good USCE (3 or more LORS) and apply for (individual) Match 2020 with risk of > 5 years since graduation ?

Last edited:
There's no answer to your questions, because each program is going to have different policies. Programs that don't consider applicants who are >5 years out from graduation simply won't consider him regardless of what you do.

Everyone says they are going to get good scores on the USMLE. It doesn't always happen. I wouldn't make plans until you have actual scores.

Calling PC's before recruitment season is pointless, I would think.

The more USCE you have, the better your chances. Also the "better quality" the USCE is, the better your chances. Best is a rotation identical to what a medical student would do at a teaching center. Worst is simply shadowing a private doc.

Read each program’s website before you apply. If they require something or exclude you based on graduation date or something, do not apply. They will not change the rules for you. I can’t get over how many people apply to my program despite not meeting the qualifications that are listed on our website.

You can’t get around a filter unless you commit fraud. And few pc’s will give you the time of day if you aren’t ready to apply at that moment.

@aProgDirector , @PDTY
Thank you for replying and dispelling my unrealistic hopes. will plan and work accordingly.
i guess the next logical question will be :
Is there a way to determine how many programs do not have this >5 years since graduation filter ; other than me researching Frieda's every IM program's website and making my own list?
I need to know this because we can still turn back and work towards our home country PG Entrance exams instead of pursuing something with so much gamble.
There is no point in waiting for step scores if the no. of programs left for >5 years since graduation candidate reduce significantly because he won't even be considered for i/vs even if gets good scores and USCE .
And even if he tries hard to apply by Sep. 2018, it wd mean he won't get enough USCE which is again an explicit or implicit requirement for many programs.

PS: i am a bit naive when it comes to rules of conversation for forums, so pls forgive me for any misstep.

Last edited: