2014 Retail Staffing Budgets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Wario

Hey you! Want to try this pill?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and general transparency, I would like to know your pharmacy's tech, rph and script budgets for 2014 on a weekly basis. Please feel free to give averages or the budgets for a specific week. Please also post how many hours your pharmacy is open during the week.

My info for 2014 (this is for week 2)

Open 92 hrs/week
Script budget 4600/week (this is net after returns)
Rph budget 121 hrs/week
Tech budget 445 hrs/week

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds like CVS! Always cutting the budget!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wtf??? how does a post about script budget/tech hours immediately correlates with "Sounds like cvs... always cutting hours".

Anyway, for 2nd week of year..

Open 168 hours.
RPH 243 hours
Script 4000-4200ish
Tech 384 hours

larry-j-merlo-gets-paid-316-times-more-than-the-average-cvs-caremark-employee.jpg

What would Larry say about all this?

opened 77 hours
84 regular rph hours + about 12 hours of overlap floaters rph
roughly 1800 weekly script count
220 tech hours

24 hr store budgeted for 1800 scripts/week? That's a sweet job to have if you're the overnight

It used to be when they only did 1200/wk when I first started and I'd only have like 35 Readyfills. They somehow figured out how to get like 65% readyfill...and I have to do ALL of the busy work. All the outdates, all the inventory, all the cleaning, etc. Its not as cushy as it sounds. Any sort of random bit of work that doesn't involve actually dispensing drugs goes to me and my partner. (Unless its PIC specific work like 222 forms). That said, I do certainly enjoy my full 30 minute lunch every night.

I would of that was cushy too but I know an RPh who works at a store that does 2500 a week and is a 24 hr store and they leave ALL the work for the overnight. The overnights at that store do absolutely everything and more. Now I work at a store doing 4300 a week and honestly I don't do anything at all at night other than fill Rx's and fill up the vials and robot. That's literally it. I don't know how to do anything else. Plus the half hour to 45 min lunch break every night.

bc CVS always cuts hours

I think they all do... Some big chain reported dispensing tasks have been "optimized" by about 12% since last year. Thank you automatic refills, machine refills, e prescribing, 90 prescriptions, faster computers... etc. etc. etc.

So I guess starting in February, my store is getting cut to 120 hours. No idea how that's going to work...oh well...Mike'll do what he can...

next week
open 77
rph 98
tech 230
rx 1800

you guys should try to find another job not named cvs or walgreens. those jobs are for new grads unless you get a really busy store like aznfarmer

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess starting in February, my store is getting cut to 120 hours. No idea how that's going to work...oh well...Mike'll do what he can...

How the hell do you go from 168 to 120 hours? What if your store can't do? Are pharmacists going to be written up and get replaced?

CVS stock is at an all time high. Now you know where the increase in revenue come from.

Watch your back. You know as the nite guy you're going to be the fall guy. Get in touch with a labor attorney ahead of time and ask how you can document what will be unfair scapegoating.

But but but I thought Obamacare was supposed to bring hoards of new patients into pharmacies and create lots of new jobs???

How the hell do you go from 168 to 120 hours? What if your store can't do? Are pharmacists going to be written up and get replaced?

CVS stock is at an all time high. Now you know where the increase in revenue come from.

Well, tech hours, not RPh hours...so 147 to 120...but, still...good question. I get like 5 hours of tech time a week as is so it won't affect me as much, but I feel for the day pharmacists. They are literally freaking out.

Open 78 hrs
Rph 84 hrs
Tech 180 hrs
Rx 2000

That's yet to be seen. Actual RPh hours aren't being cut.
I just got cut rph hours. My store's script budget increased from around 1750 to 2000 a week and we're being cut 6 rph hours (90 hrs to 84 hrs).

Well, tech hours, not RPh hours...so 147 to 120...but, still...good question. I get like 5 hours of tech time a week as is so it won't affect me as much, but I feel for the day pharmacists. They are literally freaking out.

Open 78 hrs

I just got cut rph hours. My store's script budget increased from around 1750 to 2000 a week and we're being cut 6 rph hours (90 hrs to 84 hrs).

This is just ridiculous. Increasing script count=decreasing manpower. Should be criminal.

24 hr store.
Budgeted scripts 4200/week
200 RPh hrs
~400 tech hours including delivery

So basically, they are hammering the mid level 24 hour stores...and it isn't your DM's idea. They want less tech hours and more work pushed to the night pharmacist.

We'll see what happens, I guess. If its miserable, I might learn Spanish and figure out a way to get transferred to the store down in the Hispanic Badlands. Heh. Wish me luck. I think I'm the new designated workhorse this plan rests upon.

This is just ridiculous. Increasing script count=decreasing manpower. Should be criminal.

CVS also owes me unpaid pharmacist hours from 2013. I've heard rumors that I won't get paid for them and I'm leaving the company soon. What do you guys think?

guys the answer's simple

you increase wait time till people push corporate so far it's changed, or we all get fired. Whatever.

Just out of curiosity and general transparency, I would like to know your pharmacy's tech, rph and script budgets for 2014 on a weekly basis. Please feel free to give averages or the budgets for a specific week. Please also post how many hours your pharmacy is open during the week.

My info for 2014 (this is for week 2)

Open 92 hrs/week
Script budget 4600/week (this is net after returns)
Rph budget 121 hrs/week
Tech budget 445 hrs/week

Your store dose 4500+ rx and still its not 24 hr? I thought almost all the stores with this type of volume were open 24/7..

Your store dose 4500+ rx and still its not 24 hr? I thought almost all the stores with this type of volume were open 24/7..

This subject is something fairly interesting and one I recently learned a lot more about. I had a talk with a DM and was curious why the town I live in does not have a 24 hour pharmacy and the closest is 30 miles away. He told me that generally going 24 hours actually loses a large amount of profit, and that it is only done to promote goodwill. The reason that adding a night shift loses money is because the only real gain you have in terms of scripts are ER discharges and these typically don't bring a lot of profit because the majority are for small qty/cheap meds. It is true that you will fill normal scripts in the night hours, but this is only a shift in the time a script is filled, not total number.

To have a store covered for 24 hours, you have to add the equivalent of about 1.5 FTEs, these positions will cost the company $75+/hr in salary/benefits to make true script profit of about $10/hr. Now it is difficult to determine the value the goodwill from having a 24 hour pharmacy provides, but in most cases it just is not worth it. Apparently, and this I am not sure about, the concept of a 24 hour retail pharmacy was initiated by Walgreens as mainly a marketing tactic. Today very few pharmacies are opened as or converted to, 24 hours, it simply seems another failed ploy such a $4 generics and free antibiotics.

Also at midnight there are a line of people coming in for their "refill too soon" medications that are due on that exact day. Not uncommon to see prescriptions at midnight coming in for "percocet, oxycontin, opana, etc." for high quantities from pain clinics with the note of "do not fill until specific date".
Like you said though, this is only a shift in the time a script is filled, not total number, unless these people are driving 30 miles at midnight to get their scripts filled.

Also at midnight there are a line of people coming in for their "refill too soon" medications that are due on that exact day. Not uncommon to see prescriptions at midnight coming in for "percocet, oxycontin, opana, etc." for high quantities from pain clinics with the note of "do not fill until specific date".
Like you said though, this is only a shift in the time a script is filled, not total number, unless these people are driving 30 miles at midnight to get their scripts filled.

I don't fill any post-dated pain meds at midnight. I tell them that my religion doesn't officially recognize the next day until after the Sun rises.

This subject is something fairly interesting and one I recently learned a lot more about. I had a talk with a DM and was curious why the town I live in does not have a 24 hour pharmacy and the closest is 30 miles away. He told me that generally going 24 hours actually loses a large amount of profit, and that it is only done to promote goodwill. The reason that adding a night shift loses money is because the only real gain you have in terms of scripts are ER discharges and these typically don't bring a lot of profit because the majority are for small qty/cheap meds. It is true that you will fill normal scripts in the night hours, but this is only a shift in the time a script is filled, not total number.

To have a store covered for 24 hours, you have to add the equivalent of about 1.5 FTEs, these positions will cost the company $75+/hr in salary/benefits to make true script profit of about $10/hr. Now it is difficult to determine the value the goodwill from having a 24 hour pharmacy provides, but in most cases it just is not worth it. Apparently, and this I am not sure about, the concept of a 24 hour retail pharmacy was initiated by Walgreens as mainly a marketing tactic. Today very few pharmacies are opened as or converted to, 24 hours, it simply seems another failed ploy such a $4 generics and free antibiotics.

My district has opened two new 24 hour stores in the last few years. One of them was a few months ago.

My district has opened two new 24 hour stores in the last few years. One of them was a few months ago.

While I agree with Wario, I have to say that 24 hour stores have certain benefits. The best part is that customers can come and pick up their meds anytime. It is a good selling point and certain to attract more customers. Also, well managed 24 hour stores are more stabilized. When the system crashes, there's somebody to clean up the mess so that the store can have a fresh start the next morning. I also find the overnight doing inventory, taking care of the little stuff, allows the day time to focus on customer service more. Customer service increases sales...

Last edited: