2014 - Rolling admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureotter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying for the 2014 cycle. I'm still working on narrowing down the schools I want to apply to.

I was wondering, for schools with rolling admission, how early should you apply? (I probably WON'T be applying to any with rolling because I will not be able to apply too early, I'm looking into schools with deadlines in Jan, Feb, and March.....).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

One thing I have noticed is that not all schools open their rolling admissions at the same time. Some school have already opened their rolling admissions (or at least I think the school I'm thinking said they are already open haha!), others open them at the end of this summer and some don't open them until fall. You can usually find this information of the school website. You might want to look into this. The latest opening date I have seen for opening rolling admissions is October, but I haven't looked at every school.

Last edited:
It also depends if they're OTCAS schools or not. The OTCAS cycle opens July 17 so you can theoretically e-submit that same day, whether or not schools will look at them right away. I am applying to 3 rolling admissions schools and they are all OTCAS. I emailed one of them, Thomas Jefferson, with this same question. I had mentioned I was thinking of submitting in September and their representative told me September might actually be too late, crazy as that sounds. He said I should apply in July to be safe. And since OTCAS is all-at-once, if I'm submitting early for Thomas Jefferson, it will submit all my others at the same time. (Did I word that so it makes sense?) I can't speak for the non-OTCAS rolling ones because I don't know any of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying for the 2014 cycle. I'm still working on narrowing down the schools I want to apply to.

I was wondering, for schools with rolling admission, how early should you apply? (I probably WON'T be applying to any with rolling because I will not be able to apply too early, I'm looking into schools with deadlines in Jan, Feb, and March.....).

Thanks!

I was actually wondering the same thing. About half of the schools I'm applying to are rolling and all are OTCAS...

My plan is to apply to my rolling schools in late August/early September. I wish I could do it earlier but I'm still in the process of taking prereqs and my transcripts won't be ready until then anyway. As for non-rolling, I plan on adding them to my list of designated schools on my OTCAS application later on in the year. This will (hopefully) allow me to hear back from early decision/rolling schools before spending money on more unnecessary schools.

Hope that helps!

Ahh okay this all helps out a lot. Thank you everyone! Yeah, I wouldn't be applying to any rolling schools....

I was actually wondering the same thing. About half of the schools I'm applying to are rolling and all are OTCAS...

My plan is to apply to my rolling schools in late August/early September. I wish I could do it earlier but I'm still in the process of taking prereqs and my transcripts won't be ready until then anyway. As for non-rolling, I plan on adding them to my list of designated schools on my OTCAS application later on in the year. This will (hopefully) allow me to hear back from early decision/rolling schools before spending money on more unnecessary schools.

Hope that helps!

Your plan for adding additional non-rolling schools to the OTCAS app later in the year is really smart, but it just made me think of a related question. If we apply to rolling schools in early fall and potentially get accepted around the end of the year, does anyone know when we need to respond to them by? I know April is a fairly standard deadline for responding to offers from non-rolling schools. But if a rolling school processes an application and sends out an acceptance in December, will the answer be due January? Ideally I'd hope to hear back from all my schools before being forced to make a decision on any....
I imagine this differs on a school-by-school basis but if anyone has experience with this I'd love the input!