2014 wait-list blues thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in agonizing pain lol!! I have been waiting to hear from my top choice for almost five weeks now! I have not heard one thing from my POI, even after emailing her almost two weeks ago! It's very frustrating! And I have been holding an offer from another
school for almost 7 weeks now and I feel terrible but what else can I do? This is awful!! I just don't understand why the program I haven't heard from doesn't let me know exactly where I stand! It's very inconsiderate and really making me rethink why I even want to go there!
I think you should definitely email your poi again. This time of the year is super busy for them, so maybe they forgot about your initial email? Just say you would like to know if all admission decisions had gone out yet because that information is crucial for your own responses to offers you have received. Maybe again state your interest in their program and research if you'd like.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should definitely email your poi again. This time of the year is super busy for them, so maybe they forgot about your initial email? Just say you would like to know if all admission decisions had gone out yet because that information is crucial for your own responses to offers you have received. Maybe again state your interest in their program and research if you'd like.
Good luck!
When is the deadline that they have to chose by!?!? I am still waiting too and my POI says he is sorry he still doesnt have any information...

When is the deadline that they have to chose by!?!? I am still waiting too and my POI says he is sorry he still doesnt have any information...
I'm not sure there is one, but I feel that schools know the pressure to decide increases dramatically as time goes on so a professional POI or department secretary should really inform you when they think decisions will be made if you ask them nicely.

Members don't see this ad :)
April 15th is the deadline.
That's the deadline for you to let them know of your decision in response to being accepted, not the deadline for the schools to make their decisions. Schools will make admission decisions until their classes are filled, meaning they can make decisions way past until April 15th should their classes not be full yet.

That's the deadline for you to let them know of your decision in response to being accepted, not the deadline for the schools to make their decisions. Schools will make admission decisions until their classes are filled, meaning they can make decisions way past until April 15th should their classes not be full yet.

Yes. I assumed the "they" in the previous poster's comment was other applicants with offers, not the programs themselves. Yes, this is true, there is no official date the schools have to decide by.

This kind of thing really doesn't happen. Clinical psych programs (both PhD and PsyD) are some of the most competitive programs around, and so schools will likely want to interview potential candidates before even considering taking you in. This week I saw 1 person on grad cafe say they got into a psyd at Xavier without any type of interview, but I'm not sure if that sort of thing happens anywhere else. Have you had any interviews this season?

All the best to you.

Our, quite competitive, program sometimes retains strong students from a pool if there are a large number of solid applicants. POI may have 10 strong applicants for 1 spot. Inviting all of them would be crazy, and kind of rude. But, you don't want to invite 3 and cut the rest, only to have all three go elsewhere and you're in the cold when you had 7 more really good applicants. We would do late phone interviews if it came to it, of course--no one gets in with NO interview.