2015-2016 Current Events in Veterinary Medicine

Started by rockatiel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rockatiel

Woke chihuahua
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It was brought up in another thread that there used to be threads for people to discuss current issues in vet med. I think that whether you are trying to brush up on these issues for an interview as a pre vet or are a practitioner who needs to keep up, this is a great place to do it without having to fumble through too much literature. So let's post links and discuss stuff and hopefully not want to kill each other! 😉
 
Last edited:
Something that might be pretty popular in this year's interviews: Subway banning antibiotic use by its meat suppliers.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...joins-the-fast-food-antibiotic-free-meat-club and http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/subway-antibiotic-free-meat_5626a723e4b0bce34702bc85 to read up on it if you haven't heard it yet!

I think it's going to lead to poor animal welfare, higher meat costs (although you could just not eat at Subway), and a whole lotta herd health problems.

Edit: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/safe/overview.html more reading. I want to point out that Subway is not only banning sub-therapeutic use, but also actually therapeutic use for when an animal falls ill.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If any current events question came up in my interview, I was going to talk about the Ebola "outbreak" that happened somewhat recently in the US, and the potential link between people's pet dogs.
 
I think one of the biggest "current" issue in small animal veterinary medicine is the changing information regarding the effects of desexing dogs, especially desexing juvenile dogs. That's something small animal practitioners face almost daily with clients. And, in the US, the ever enlarging veterinary income:student debt ratio continues to be an issue with even more new schools planning to open (will that issue ever go away)?
 
I think one of the biggest "current" issue in small animal veterinary medicine is the changing information regarding the effects of desexing dogs, especially desexing juvenile dogs. That's something small animal practitioners face almost daily with clients.

Heck, I don't even know when to spay my own puppy. Too much conflicting info


I'll add canine influenza to the list
 
Veterinary feed directives, the elimination of tail docking in dairy cattle by the National Milk Producers Federation, and the removal of OTC oxygen and PPG come to mind for food animal topics...
 
May I suggest: "in your copious spare time"?

Yeah I suspect that even if I plan on doing it before first heat cycle it won't get done until she's about three if the plan is "in my free time"haha.

But seriously. I have no intentions of breeding but I do plan on competing in agility, maybe dabbling in fly ball or herding. So I've been researching and talking to people and hearing everything from "spay her now" (13wks)... to the usual 6 mo... to after the first heat cycle... to after she's 2 years. Risks of orthopedic problems and growth plate problems vs risks of mammary tumors, gahhhhhhhh.
 
Yeah I suspect that even if I plan on doing it before first heat cycle it won't get done until she's about three if the plan is "in my free time"haha.

But seriously. I have no intentions of breeding but I do plan on competing in agility, maybe dabbling in fly ball or herding. So I've been researching and talking to people and hearing everything from "spay her now" (13wks)... to the usual 6 mo... to after the first heat cycle... to after she's 2 years. Risks of orthopedic problems and growth plate problems vs risks of mammary tumors, gahhhhhhhh.

Personally, I still believe in spaying before the first heat -- mammary tumours are a much bigger punch to her health (and your wallet) than possible orthopedic problems, IMO. Even if they are benign (50:50 chance).
 
Yeah I suspect that even if I plan on doing it before first heat cycle it won't get done until she's about three if the plan is "in my free time"haha.

But seriously. I have no intentions of breeding but I do plan on competing in agility, maybe dabbling in fly ball or herding. So I've been researching and talking to people and hearing everything from "spay her now" (13wks)... to the usual 6 mo... to after the first heat cycle... to after she's 2 years. Risks of orthopedic problems and growth plate problems vs risks of mammary tumors, gahhhhhhhh.
Is she a large breed? If not the risk of mammary cancer is a much bigger concern
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not exactly vet related but it should be: hunting exotic game and non game species for sport and the impact on conservation. Also, the role of social media in how our profession is presented. I couldn't agree more about the ketamine and the possibility that it could be placed in another schedule. The implications for the domestic animal world and possibly even more critical : how it is pretty much one of two main drugs used in chemical immobilization of wildlife.
 
Probably oxytet. An antibiotic. Those are being restricted to by rx only in several states
That makes much more sense. Trust the repro girl to go for the hormone over the antibiotic even though I did see it on an updated list in a cow forum all of... 2 days ago.
 
Is she a large breed? If not the risk of mammary cancer is a much bigger concern
Nope, small-ish breed. And yes, I'm planning on before first heat (mostly because I don't want to deal with that s***!) at this time, I just hate all the conflicting info because I feel like I can't win. Then I remind myself that I did my other female at 5 mo and she turned out just fine- still running agility courses faster than dogs that are seven years younger than her.
 
Nope, small-ish breed. And yes, I'm planning on before first heat (mostly because I don't want to deal with that s***!) at this time, I just hate all the conflicting info because I feel like I can't win. Then I remind myself that I did my other female at 5 mo and she turned out just fine- still running agility courses faster than dogs that are seven years younger than her.
Most of the orthopedic issues have been seen in large breeds, so I'm not sure it's really conflicting
 
Most of the orthopedic issues have been seen in large breeds, so I'm not sure it's really conflicting

I've seen w couple older sources that looked specifically at performance sport dogs and growth plate closure. Nothing terribly convincing but enough to make me wonder. Still don't want to deal with a heat cycle though lol
 
Pets: property or guardianships?

People: owners or guardians?
What do you think? I feel that if we changed things up and pets were no longer 'property,' we'd be pushed to give domestic animals 'rights.' Whether that is clearly a good or bad thing, I don't know. I think a lot of people want animals to have rights near to what we have as human beings.

We've already granted some short-lived human rights to chimpanzees (obviously, there is quite the difference between a chimp and a dog) so they could 'argue' to be released from their "unlawful imprisonment" in research facility. They ended up losing, it was an interesting case to follow.
 
Pets having rights means that certain groups could petition for the end of pet ownership as slavery. Same for farm animals. I think there's some real concern that if pets have rights that euthanasia may be a thing of the past (I mean, they would have a right to life, most likely).
 
Purina vs Blue Buffalo

I used to be a huge fan of Blue Buffalo. I realize that they are not the first nor the last food to contain byproducts, but how sickening to base your industry off of the "fact" that the food doesn't! I was already suspicious when I found out the food was owned by MARS.
 
I used to be a huge fan of Blue Buffalo. I realize that they are not the first nor the last food to contain byproducts, but how sickening to base your industry off of the "fact" that the food doesn't! I was already suspicious when I found out the food was owned by MARS.
They aren't owned by MARS.

Byproducts aren't a bad thing. And Blue Buffalo is expensive because of their huge marketing budget. Whereas many other pet food companies are more expensive because they actually do research on their food.
 
Not exactly vet related but it should be: hunting exotic game and non game species for sport and the impact on conservation.

What are your thoughts? I was under the persuasion that putting a price on big or exotic game actually helps to conserve it, as long as it is all done legally. It seems to me that the Cecil case was isolated and that it is truly hard to willingly illegally hunt exotic game If you put no value on the animals, the poachers will take everything. It's also financially beneficial to the surrounding area. Sadly, this doesn't work for all animals, because elephants are still being plucked off at alarming rates.
 
My vets recommended against blue buffalo and I've seen lots and lots of GI issues that seemed to disappear once blue buffalo was taken out of the equation... I love going into petsmart and the sales person trying to sell me blue buffalo. They really have nothing to say to my rebuttals except that "your vet's nutrition classes get paid off by purina and other big companies to say that". Lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My vets recommended against blue buffalo and I've seen lots and lots of GI issues that seemed to disappear once blue buffalo was taken out of the equation... I love going into petsmart and the sales person trying to sell me blue buffalo. They really have nothing to say to my rebuttals except that "your vet's nutrition classes get paid off by purina and other big companies to say that". Lol
There are GI issues in my experience. But the bigger thing that I'm concerned about is that almost every case of crystals in the urine that I have seen have been feeding Blue. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but...higher protein content would make a better environment for them to form in a way that makes sense. More protein = more ammonia = more pH disruption to the urine. I'd really like to see studies on this.
 
My vets recommended against blue buffalo and I've seen lots and lots of GI issues that seemed to disappear once blue buffalo was taken out of the equation... I love going into petsmart and the sales person trying to sell me blue buffalo. They really have nothing to say to my rebuttals except that "your vet's nutrition classes get paid off by purina and other big companies to say that". Lol
also, my nutrition classes talked about several various brands and home cooked diets as reasonable. And we had 1 course over a semester + interspersed in some other classes. Several of the vets had research funded by brands (because otherwise, there isn't much money for it). I don't believe the class itself was funded by Hill's or Purina. Our rotations 4th year certainly weren't.
 
There are GI issues in my experience. But the bigger thing that I'm concerned about is that almost every case of crystals in the urine that I have seen have been feeding Blue. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but...higher protein content would make a better environment for them to form in a way that makes sense. More protein = more ammonia = more pH disruption to the urine. I'd really like to see studies on this.

One of my vet mentors saw A LOT of crystals in cat's urine with blue as well. She also petitioned for a food recall after she saw 3 cats over a course of 1 month that had some sort of rare bone disease, and the common link was their food. I don't know all the details, but it happened years ago and ever since then (before she died), she would tell all her clients not to feed blue!
 
One of my vet mentors saw A LOT of crystals in cat's urine with blue as well. She also petitioned for a food recall after she saw 3 cats over a course of 1 month that had some sort of rare bone disease, and the common link was their food. I don't know all the details, but it happened years ago and ever since then (before she died), she would tell all her clients not to feed blue!
Yeah, I always give owners a little discussion on it. Many are relieved. it's super expensive.
 
Pets having rights means that certain groups could petition for the end of pet ownership as slavery. Same for farm animals. I think there's some real concern that if pets have rights that euthanasia may be a thing of the past (I mean, they would have a right to life, most likely).

This is my line of thinking as well. There's also the prospect of how "guardianship" would be exchanged. If the current ownership model were to be followed by a guardianship model, then we'd deal with the same current problems. But if "guardianship" is more like how certain groups want it to be, then it would be more like how parents are to children, which would be a whole different set of issues I feel.
 
This is my line of thinking as well. There's also the prospect of how "guardianship" would be exchanged. If the current ownership model were to be followed by a guardianship model, then we'd deal with the same current problems. But if "guardianship" is more like how certain groups want it to be, then it would be more like how parents are to children, which would be a whole different set of issues I feel.
we really don't need them as "parents" to animal "children". Not to mention malpractice suits and rates...I don't want to be a vet in that world. This society is already too litigious.
 
Is there like a website that predominantly helps keep up with current events? I admittedly haven't been keeping up at all with CEs & I need to brush up for my interview next month. :shy:

This thread was an AWESOME idea, btw! 🙂
 
What do you think? I feel that if we changed things up and pets were no longer 'property,' we'd be pushed to give domestic animals 'rights.' Whether that is clearly a good or bad thing, I don't know. I think a lot of people want animals to have rights near to what we have as human beings.

We've already granted some short-lived human rights to chimpanzees (obviously, there is quite the difference between a chimp and a dog) so they could 'argue' to be released from their "unlawful imprisonment" in research facility. They ended up losing, it was an interesting case to follow.

I currently subscribe to the argument that says making people guardians instead of owners will open the door to larger lawsuits against veterinarians akin to what is seen in the MD world, which will drive our liability insurance through the roof, which will increase the overall cost of care, which will decrease the care given to the average animal.

So I view it as a bad thing from a medical point of view. I don't have a strong enough background in ethics to have much of a useful opinion from that perspective.

I think there is an opportunity for tit for tat, though. If a "guardian" brings in a sick animal and then declines care, I think they should be culpable under the law for withholding care; in other words, if people are reclassified as guardians, I think they should be legally obligated to provide a minimum standard of care to their guardianships.

It ought to cut both ways. We shouldn't be held to higher liability if owners won't be held to higher standards of care. But cynical LIS thinks it would only be directed at us and our liability and owners would still be allowed to provide as little care as they wanted.
 
This is my line of thinking as well. There's also the prospect of how "guardianship" would be exchanged. If the current ownership model were to be followed by a guardianship model, then we'd deal with the same current problems. But if "guardianship" is more like how certain groups want it to be, then it would be more like how parents are to children, which would be a whole different set of issues I feel.
we really don't need them as "parents" to animal "children". Not to mention malpractice suits and rates...I don't want to be a vet in that world. This society is already too litigious.
I agree. I don't think there's anything overtly wrong with being held more accountable for how we treat animals (this goes both ways...both owners and veterinarians), but to compare your cat to a child in the eyes of the law would changes things drastically.

Maybe more people would purchase pet health insurance 😛

ETA to address @LetItSnow: I also think that it'd be near impossible to get the entire nation on board with that change. It's just a fact of life that some cats are just barn cats. If they go missing, the 'owner' doesn't usually get too bent out of shape. If your horse can't work, chances are you won't spend money on it's care.

Which brings up another point....animals offered rights may or may not legally be allowed to have jobs, especially if we're comparing them to children in court.
 
I currently subscribe to the argument that says making people guardians instead of owners will open the door to larger lawsuits against veterinarians akin to what is seen in the MD world, which will drive our liability insurance through the roof, which will increase the overall cost of care, which will decrease the care given to the average animal.

So I view it as a bad thing from a medical point of view. I don't have a strong enough background in ethics to have much of a useful opinion from that perspective.

I think there is an opportunity for tit for tat, though. If a "guardian" brings in a sick animal and then declines care, I think they should be culpable under the law for withholding care; in other words, if people are reclassified as guardians, I think they should be legally obligated to provide a minimum standard of care to their guardianships.

It ought to cut both ways. We shouldn't be held to higher liability if owners won't be held to higher standards of care. But cynical LIS thinks it would only be directed at us and our liability and owners would still be allowed to provide as little care as they wanted.
cynical LIS isn't the only one...
 
I currently subscribe to the argument that says making people guardians instead of owners will open the door to larger lawsuits against veterinarians akin to what is seen in the MD world, which will drive our liability insurance through the roof, which will increase the overall cost of care, which will decrease the care given to the average animal.

So I view it as a bad thing from a medical point of view. I don't have a strong enough background in ethics to have much of a useful opinion from that perspective.

I think there is an opportunity for tit for tat, though. If a "guardian" brings in a sick animal and then declines care, I think they should be culpable under the law for withholding care; in other words, if people are reclassified as guardians, I think they should be legally obligated to provide a minimum standard of care to their guardianships.

It ought to cut both ways. We shouldn't be held to higher liability if owners won't be held to higher standards of care. But cynical LIS thinks it would only be directed at us and our liability and owners would still be allowed to provide as little care as they wanted.

You don't think that people would be willing to spend more money if their pets were more like their children?
 
I currently subscribe to the argument that says making people guardians instead of owners will open the door to larger lawsuits against veterinarians akin to what is seen in the MD world, which will drive our liability insurance through the roof, which will increase the overall cost of care, which will decrease the care given to the average animal.

So I view it as a bad thing from a medical point of view. I don't have a strong enough background in ethics to have much of a useful opinion from that perspective.

I think there is an opportunity for tit for tat, though. If a "guardian" brings in a sick animal and then declines care, I think they should be culpable under the law for withholding care; in other words, if people are reclassified as guardians, I think they should be legally obligated to provide a minimum standard of care to their guardianships.

It ought to cut both ways. We shouldn't be held to higher liability if owners won't be held to higher standards of care. But cynical LIS thinks it would only be directed at us and our liability and owners would still be allowed to provide as little care as they wanted.

And that liability could be extended to any animal professional from breeders to zoos. I totally agree that there should be a higher standard of care expected on the part of the "guardian". But like you said, that would probably only be a one way street towards us..... and zoo keepers and other people that are in an animal profession.

You don't think that people would be willing to spend more money if their pets were more like their children?

They argue about how much it costs now. I could only imagine how much of a pain it would be if spending more money was mandated by the government. And (new thought!) it would extend into poor populations as well. The poor would probably not be allowed to even be "guardians" for animals as they would not be able to afford the mandated care.
 
You don't think that people would be willing to spend more money if their pets were more like their children?

Depends on the clientele. I call all my clients mom and dad (that's the norm where I practice). Doesn't change the people who aren't willing to spend. I have very very few "it's just a dog" clients.

Client: "She's my baby. You don't understand, she's like my child we need to do something"

Me: "yes, she's quite sick. We need to figure out what's going on. In order to do that we need x,y, and z and here is the estimate. We don't have to do everything at once, but we need to start somewhere."

Client: "you don't understand, I can't afford any of that. She's my child! And she needs care!!! She's my chiiiiiilllllllddddd!!!!"
 
You don't think that people would be willing to spend more money if their pets were more like their children?
They could probably only 'spend' more if veterinary healthcare were to be structured like human medicine. Insurance, legal requirements to provide medical care to your child/pet, etc.

It's easy to pay a $25 copay for your kid's sinus infection appointment. It's not easy to pay $200 for your dog's kennel cough appointment, whether you're poor or rolling in cash. NO one likes to see that kind of money leave their wallet. That's why people get angry at vets...they think we charge more than their own personal doctors. Very few people see the actual hospital bills they can rack up for just a 3 day stay. I think my grandpa's most recent stay two weeks ago was 2 days. $65,000, I think? It's astounding. That's how much I hope to make in a year. I can't remember what he had to pay but it was a fraction of that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't think that people would be willing to spend more money if their pets were more like their children?

No, because I think what the law says about an animal's status is disconnected from how people feel about them. There are already plenty of people who think of their pet as their 'child' - and some of those people spend lots of money and soMe throw a hissy fit at a lousy PCV. How they relate to their animal isn't necessarily indicative of how much they will spend.

More often than not, people who consider their animal their "child" AND don't have/want to spend much money will just try to make it your fault. ("If you cared, you'd help me out!")
 
Depends on the clientele. I call all my clients mom and dad (that's the norm where I practice). Doesn't change the people who aren't willing to spend. I have very very few "it's just a dog" clients.

Client: "She's my baby. You don't understand, she's like my child we need to do something"

Me: "yes, she's quite sick. We need to figure out what's going on. In order to do that we need x,y, and z and here is the estimate. We don't have to do everything at once, but we need to start somewhere."

Client: "you don't understand, I can't afford any of that. She's my child! And she needs care!!! She's my chiiiiiilllllllddddd!!!!"

Omg. Sounds awful. I've seen a lot of "she is my child, I will spend ANYTHING to get her better!!" But never "she's my child but I can't afford it!". I'm sure the vets I've worked for have though. The clinic I worked in was the most expensive in town, so I'm sure we had a different clientele than lower cost ones too. Interesting!

I'm not sure how I feel about humans being the "guardians" of animals instead of "owners", because you do normally buy your pets. I think of my pets as my children/friends and would spend any amount of money to fix them if it was possible, and I try to give them a little sense of independence when I can.... But I don't think it would work well legally.
 
Omg. Sounds awful. I've seen a lot of "she is my child, I will spend ANYTHING to get her better!!" But never "she's my child but I can't afford it!". I'm sure the vets I've worked for have though. The clinic I worked in was the most expensive in town, so I'm sure we had a different clientele than lower cost ones too. Interesting!

I'm not sure how I feel about humans being the "guardians" of animals instead of "owners", because you do normally buy your pets. I think of my pets as my children/friends and would spend any amount of money to fix them if it was possible, and I try to give them a little sense of independence when I can.... But I don't think it would work well legally.
One could consider adopting a child 'buying' as well if you wanted to think of it that way. My grade school teacher said she spent almost $25k on her adoption. Not all are that expensive (and, as a child ages, the sticker price drops), but some of the costs prevent people from adopting altogether.
 
If any current events question came up in my interview, I was going to talk about the Ebola "outbreak" that happened somewhat recently in the US, and the potential link between people's pet dogs.
There was a fascinating article about this in JAVMA a few months ago.

Some of the things that get talked about in my practice have to do with drug availability, like the ketamine thing, and new laws on compounded drugs potentially making it a lot harder/more expensive to stock things like our liquid formulation of prednisolone, among others.