[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Submitted via Google Forms

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Fit, Location, Likelihood of getting an academic gig post residency, SO preference. Slight preference for 4yr vs 3yr.

1) Brigham/MGH - Lots of prior experience at these hospitals, had an amazing away rotation @ BWH, ridiculously great residents, excellent PD, highly effective teaching, proven track record.

2) BMC - Patient diversity, trauma, PGY2 procedure year, amazing EMS experience, fun and skilled residents.

3) Maine Medical Center - Love everything about this place, did an away here and was blown away, possibly the best relationship between docs and nurses of any place I checked out.

4) Baystate - Incredible PD, Incredible PD, Incredible PD, gorgeous facility, high volume, extremely down to earth residents, one of the founders of FOAMcast is a graduating resident.

5) Stanford - I fell head over heels for this program. I would have ranked it #3, but after several large arguments with my SO about relocating to the west coast it had to get bumped to #5. :oops:/

6 and beyond: #6 Dartmouth, #7 UConn, #8 Christiana....

Members don't see this ad.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location (whether or not I liked the area), High acuity/CC time, patient demographics, research and reputation. Did not take into consideration whether any place was more of a "reach" than the other. Tried to figure out where I really fit in best and went with my gut in the end.

1) MS-SLR: Absolutely loved this place. The residents were so friendly and just seemed like the type of people I would want to spend time within inside and outside of the hospital. I also really liked the ED heavy curriculum, although I would appreciate a little more ICU time. The didactics seems strong, with a good amount of attending and resident lecture time. The Roosevelt ED seemed newer but less busy while the Luke's ED was packed but not quite as nice. Despite the ICU time issue, this program seems pretty perfect and also gave me that "gut feeling" people always talk about.

2) Denver Health: This place is legendary and definitely lives up to its name. While it is a 4 year program, their curriculum still appears to be modern/constantly updated so that every rotation has a purpose, not just using use as a "gun for hire" for other departments. The acuity is also incredible here and the program overall has a strong focus on CC which appeals to me. Also, despite a lot of unfounded rumors, the residents seemed super happy here. They spend tons of time together and even with being a big program seem just as tight nit as some of the smaller 3 year programs I interviewed at. As for negatives, well it is a 4 year program, so with the intention of doing a fellowship in CC, an extra year is less appealing. Also, while Denver is a pretty awesome city with great outdoor sports, it doesn't exactly have the big city feel I'm use to.

3) Christiana Care: This place really sold me on there heavy focus on CC and the extraordinary amount of time spent in their different ICUs. In addition, the acuity they see in their ED is impressive; during my tour they had 2 traumas and 2 med resuscitations going on. The institution is all gorgeous and it is definitely the biggest ED I have ever seen and they definitely have the numbers to fill it with. I did not get to see the Wilmington ED but I've heard the acuity there is solid as well. The only real downside to this place is its location. That being said, plenty of the residents apparently commute from Philli, which wouldn't be terrible in my book, but also not ideal.

4) UNC: Strong community/academic program. Amazing research opportunities here, particularly in CC. The program seems to see good acuity and volume, especially with their 2nd site, Wake. I also had a blast with the residents here and felt like I really clicked with them. Downsides for me here were the commuting between 2 hospitals and the concern that while the acuity is great, it isn't quite as fast paced as the inner city EDs I have become use to.

5) MS-BI: This programs location is pretty much perfect. Downtown Manhattan is amazing. The diversity and volume this ED sees here is pretty impressive but I didn't get a good feel for just how high the acuity was. I also didn't get a strong sense that a lot of research is put out from here but that could be incorrect. Either way, the ED was beautiful and busy when I was there. Also, their PD seems amazing. Definitely a strong mentor and advocate for her residents and is pretty high up in the national EM residency governing bodies for whatever that may be worth. The other downsides to this program is the commuting to Elmhurst and Jacobi for rotations. It is definitely great experiencing other institutions but when you do it several months a year it kind of makes me feel like my home institution isn't quite enough. That being said, I would be ecstatic to match/train here.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cinematographer's Note: Fantastic ROL. Wishing you and everyone the best of luck!

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: I made my ROL with first my advisor then wine.... Gut feeling was #1 by a long shot, fit, cost of living and geography were also important. Other considerations were patient population, volume and hospital type. But seriously my 3 to 8 changed multiple times all while drinking wine. Loooove my top 8 and would basically be equally happy at all of them which was such a great problem to have. 9 to 12 I'd be bummed to match at. 13 to 15 I'd be quite sad but It's a job. I did not rank 1 program.

1) Indiana University : rotated here and was blown away. Such a strong 3 year. R3s were competent as any I'd seen (I did 3 EM months plus an EM related rotation) plus I liked hanging out with the residents. Faculty were so great to work with and I learned a lot. Love the county/uni combo. High volume and acuity with strong peds. Love the tracks. Love Kevin Rodgers. Jeff Kline and the research. Loved working with the PD and my meetings with him were mostly about pizza and beer. Great reputation. Fellowships in fields I'm considering. Love that residents have ownership. R2s and R3s ar3 scheduled the same. Not afraid to give interns sick patients or procedures. Indy is a much better cost of living than my current city with great breweries and things to do. Sadly no mountains or ocean which really was my only con.

2) WashU: I think if I had rotated here it would have been #1. Truly loved this place. Felt it was a great fit with the residents and faculty. Super chill interview day and felt the warm and fuzzies. Fellowships in fields I'm considering. Love the PD and got along really well with the other faculty at the happy hour (common interests of coffee, beer and marathons). Loooove that interns see sick patients and get great procedural experience. I love that they are a one stop shop for uni and county patients. Love St. Louis personally (Schlafly's and Forest Park!!!) Would truly be stoked to match here.

3) Carolinas- awesome place. Liked the residents and faculty. Have a lot in common with IU i felt. Have heard nothing but amazing things from people who rotated here. Wish it had a little more diversity. Loved Charlotte. Was surprised they liked I was GHHS more than AOA. Georgraphically love the area and the whitewater center. Would be stoked to match here.

4) UPMC- I don't have a great reason for it being #4. Loved the current PD and Dr. Dorfsman who is PD next year. I both like and am hesitant about the multiple sites. Reallllly poor resident turn out to dinner and lunch but spoke to m4s at Pitt and Pitt grads that make me think Id get along. 3 years. Amazing EMS. Pittsburgh was neutral for me. I think I'd do well and be happy here.

5) Denver Health: I am actually sad it was this low and wish I'd ranked it higher. I was a bit hesitant based on what I've heard from people who rotated there and my advisor who said "they get the **** beat out of them for 4 years". I just genuinely loved my interview day and the PD and faculty. I felt it was a good fit and I'm not afraid of hard work. Love the county/uni mix. High volume. Awesome rep. Liked the residents I met but they did seem tired. Loooooooved Denver. If I matched here I'd be insanely stoked despite it being #5. I thought it was classy that the residents called for follow up.

Some of the rest (I ranked 15): UWASHINGTON(would be happy here! ), UCLA Harbor(loved but want a uni experience too), Regions, OSU and Henry Ford(intern told me to run away, almost didnt rank).Did not rank Hennepin.

@Cinematographer's note: Interesting to see I'm not the only one ranking Fresno above the other CA programs. Great RoL.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Most important things were fit and location, SO's happiness w/ location, diverse population, acuity (admittedly difficult to assess,) and my sense of the resident's ability to go anywhere after training. Real support for global health opportunities was a plus. Ultimately, things like 3 vs. 4, floor months, shift length, moonlighting, and other considerations didn't really enter into it. I have found these lists interesting/entertaining/anxiety-provoking for the last few months, so I thought it would be only fair to chime in.

1. Denver Health–Pros: Not much to say that hasn't been said. These guys are incredibly well-prepared by the end of residency. Despite how hard they work, they all seemed very happy with their choice of program. They are a close-knit group, despite having 17 residents in a class. Get both the county and academic experience, which I think is valuable. Denver is an awesome city close to the mountains with a decent COL. Cons: A little worried about work/life balance, but feel that some sacrifice for the few years of residency in order to lay the foundation for my career is justified.

2. UCLA-Olive View–Pros: Loved the residents. They seemed like a really laid-back, smart group of people who genuinely like each other (a huge thing that I looked for during interviews.) Good degree of diversity and acuity between Ronald Reagan (probably couldn't be more academic if they tried) and Olive View (very underserved, county population.) Antelope Valley rotations in 2-4 years are apparently amazing for trauma and high-acuity cases. LA is a cool city w/ lots to do: beach, decent climbing and hiking nearby. Good for SO's job. Cons: LA traffic and COL. The drive to Olive View looks hellish, but apparently residents often carpool for overnights, so that's something.

3. UCSF-Fresno–Pros: Do not discount this program. I know that Fresno sucks, but everything about the program looks awesome otherwise. High volume, acuity and diversity serving both the wealthier side of Fresno and the very poor, migrant workers. Very friendly, happy residents who all do things together outside of work and seem incredibly well-prepared to go anywhere after residency. Relatively few residency programs in the hospital means that EM gets to do everything. Great global health and wilderness medicine opportunities if that's your thing. Lots of climbing/mountain happiness about 30 min away (you'll notice a trend in my ROL). Cons: Fresno. Awful air quality, no job opportunities, nothing really to do in Fresno except get out of it. Despite this, it would have been 2nd on my list if not for SO input.

4. Highland–Pros: It's Highland. You get to take care of an incredibly diverse and sick population. The residents all truly seemed to feel like they were part of a family. PD seemed very friendly and approachable; I would not have any problem talking to her if there were any issues. This program has a strong social justice component through the Berkeley School of Public Health that I was not aware of prior to my interview. Great support for global health interests. The bay area is a great place to live with lots to do outside of work. Cons: Bay Area COL is unbelievable. I just didn't feel like I clicked as well with this program as I expected to, and there is less access to the things that I like to do outside of work. Otherwise I had no concerns, and would be thrilled to match here.

5. Maricopa–Pros: This one being so high on my list surprised me. It was my first interview, which I scheduled for practice, and I had a really fantastic experience. Really felt like I got along with all the residents. They're a very work hard, play hard group of people, who spend a lot of time outdoors. A lot of residents praised the Burn ICU month; wasn't a major selling point for me, but thought I'd mention it. Good degree of patient diversity and, I believe, reasonable acuity. Some good international opportunities, and an elective month all 3 years. Cons: Phoenix was a tough sell for me. Summers sound ridiculous. This one being higher than others came down to a gut feeling that it would be a good fit.

6. University of Utah–Pros: I really clicked with the residents, who are another very outdoorsy, laid-back group. This was probably the best PD interview I had; Dr. Stroud is hilarious and genuinely seemed interested in me as a human being. There is a $1500 stipend available for any resident who wants to work globally, which I didn't see anywhere else. Salt Lake is (surprise!) a great location for hiking/climbing/skiing.
Cons: Let's face it, Salt Lake is a pretty homogeneous population. It's getting better (so I hear,) but I was worried about the lack of diversity. Trade off airway with anesthesia every other day. Lots of SICU, but no MICU, time (which I imagine is d/t being a division of surgery.

7. UC Davis–Pros: I really liked all the residents that I met. There is no county hospital in Sacramento, so Davis sees a lot of the county population. PD (Dr. Barnes) was really approachable.. Sacramento was actually a plus for me. It's an affordable, laid-back city in California with a great food scene and mountains relatively close by. Cons: Minimal global health (and was treated fairly dismissively by APD when I asked about it.) Only 1 elective month in 3 years.

8. Loma Linda–Pros: Southern California. Hospital culture of actually being nice to each other. Residents seemed very happy w/ their choice. Very strong peds experience. Some fun international experiences and event medicine. Seemed like solid all-around training. Inland empire not very appealing. Just didn't feel that click that I did with programs higher on my list.

9. UC Irvine–3 year program in Southern California. Good ultrasound experience. Lower diversity/acuity. Just didn't feel like my place when I interviewed. Nothing to do with the program per se, just a vibe.

10. University of Arizona–High volume and diversity. Well-respected program. This is a really strong program that, at the end of the day, just didn't feel right for me.

seems like pretty much everyone interviewed at Denver, MGH/B&W, UNC, BMC and UCLA

Reactions: 1 users
seems like pretty much everyone interviewed at Denver, MGH/B&W, UNC, BMC and UCLA

Kind of feel that this group of sdn posters self selects for those programs. Neither a good thing or a bad thing...just a thing.

I figure I should post my list too since I have used sdn. 240+ on step 1 and 250+ on step 2. Did two away rotations, high pass and honors. Honors at home program. Good EM research with a poster presentation. Most important to me was fit and how I got along with the program director...so, my rank looks way different from the others I 've been reading.

1. UI- Peoria
2. Southern Illinois
3. University of New Mexico
4. Denver
5. UCLA- Harbor View
6. UT-Southwestern
7. Mass Gen
8. Cook County
9. Vanderbilt
10. U North Carolina (really hated the drive to wake)
11. Christiana
12. BIDMC
13. Cincinnati
14. Pitt
Others: Baylor, Orlando health, UT-Austin, U of Washington

(couples matching so my advisor said to shoot for around 20 interviews). If anyone wants more information, PM me and I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating thread late in the afternoon with ROLs submitted this week. Submit yours soon if you would like to see it posted today! I'm posting mine today as well... You will be surprised by my choices.

spoilers, In-N-Out burger is NOT on my top 5

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Updating thread late in the afternoon with reviews submitted this week. Submit yours soon if you would like to see it posted today! I'm posting mine today as well... You will be surprised by my choices.

spoilers, In-N-Out burger is NOT on my top 5

Lies & Damn Lies.

In-N-Out Burger is in everyone's top 5...it's just silent, like the p in pterodactyl.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll be posting mine today as well. There will be a few surprises in my rank list ;) lol!!! Better get some damn popcorn for this yall!!

I'll be posting mine today as well. There will be a few surprises in my rank list ;) lol!!! Better get some damn popcorn for this yall!!
How about everybody stop posting about how they're going to post their rank lists and just post them when you're actually going to post them?

Reactions: 13 users
How about everybody stop posting about how they're going to post their rank lists and just post them when you're actually going to post them?

Seconded. Do, or do not...but if do not -> STFU. ;)

I think I need some zinc oxide for that burn!!

@Trazor sounds incredibly salty. I don't get paid to post ROLs on SDN in a timely fashion and will do it as it becomes convenient to my schedule. So if I announced posting later today was to get people to submit theirs now and not have to check on the Google Form over the weekend.

Last edited:

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: general feel/fit, spouse job prospects, county+academics, location, COL. Me: Great med school, AOA, mostly honors, 250+/260+, research, extracurriculars, blah blah blah.

1) Johns Hopkins - INSANE resources and academic opportunities. It's got the Baltimore "county" population but you also get Saudi Kings who need transplants. Not to mention the off-service rotations are the best you're gonna get. Also, their 4th year is basically a mini-fellowship with reduced clinical duties so lots of people go straight into academic positions without a true fellowship under their belt. Baltimore is actually awesome with a great COL for what it offers. I know this because my spouse lived there for a year, although I understand that it can appear ****ty if you don't know it. Pretty great work-life balance. AWESOME residents. Not sure why this program isn't more sought after.

2) LAC+USC - duh...

3) Brown - underrated program. Definitely LOVED it here, residents are awesome, impressive alumni list and awesome faculty.

4) Highland - nuff said.

5) George Washington - mostly cause of location but definitely a solid program as well. Would be more than happy to match here.

The Rest: Harbor-UCLA, UCSF-SFGH, Harvard-MGH, Georgetown, UMD, UCLA-Olive, Denver, NY Presbyterian.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, location, location. Also good sim and wilderness medicine, and of course, gut feeling.

1) Stanford - great vibe from the PD, where I want to end up long term, plus cool people, and ridiculous interdisciplinary resources.

2) Dartmouth - young program with lots of opportunities to make it unique, great didactics, lots of wilderness.

3) Brown - last minute interview and was not expecting to like Providence as much as I did, another great PD.

4) Maine

5) Baystate

The Rest: Arizona, York, Maricopa, Las Vegas, UMASS, Loma Linda, Fresno

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: DO student, 240s on USMLE steps 1 and 2. Applied to 30 programs, interview invitations to 16, went on 12. Main considerations were location (midwest preference, not interested in most big cities), US exposure, feel for the program during interview/ aways, interaction with residents, quality of PD, 3 year programs, program reputation, and Trauma.

I know trauma is algorithmic and a small percentage of what most of us will see in the real world, but its still fun to do procedures and take care of critically ill patients.

1) Medical College of Wisconsin - Hidden gem. Had great interaction with the residents during the interview and second look, PD and APD were very helpful and welcoming. Solid trauma exposure and no turf battles with surgery. 3rd year EM and senior surgery resident rotate each day between who does the survey and who does the lines/ chest tubes. 2nd year EM resident always gets airway. Strong pediatric exposure. Residents seem very confident and competent, all got jobs in the locations they wanted. US curriculum is strong. EM seems to be well respected throughout the hospital and is treated well on off-service rotations. Milwaukee is a fun city with great COL (and impressive resident salaries), nice schedule leaves time for other interests outside of medicine. Newly renovated facilities. Best location for SO.

2) Indiana University - Great reputation, and back it up. Love the work/life balance as residents work fewer shifts than most places, but are pushed hard when they are on and capable of seeing 30 or more patients during a shift. Graduates go on to work wherever they want. Very STRONG ultrasound curriculum. Faculty is very responsive to feedback. Large program, but residents seem very close. Great peds exposure at Riley, with highest pediatric admission rate in the country. Indianapolis is a fun city with good COL. Internal moonlighting in fast track area as 2nd year is a plus. Probably a reach, but I know better than to let that influence my list ;)

3) Beaumont - From the area and would enjoy going back and being close to family. I was impressed with the residents and faculty when I rotated here for an away, everyone was very helpful and willing to teach. New resuscitation rotation as 2nd year was intriguing, as that resident gets to cherry pick high acuity patients and gets a ton of procedures in that month. US exposure is there if you are interested. Only real downside to me was trauma, as surgery gets to do more than EM. Facilities are super dated and space is limited with tons of beds in the hallway, but with brand new ED opening next spring this shouldn't be an issue for long.

4) Western Michigan University - Rotated here and enjoyed it. APD is well known in EM, is extremely approachable and helpful. Have seen slightly negative things posted on SDN about the PD, but he is a strong advocate for his residents and is very funny once you get to know him. Strong critical care curriculum, and EM seems to be the strongest program in the hospitals. Brand new SIM center that they use very effectively/ efficiently. They have the best EMS exposure that I saw and while this isn't an area Im super interested in, I think it would be fun. Kzoo is a pretty small city, but has some great breweries, including Bells, and I have friends/ family in the area. Only downside is pediatric exposure from my experience.

5) University of Tennessee Murfreesboro - Close to Nashville, which is one of the few big cities I would be interested in living in/ around. PD is a big name in EM. PD, APD and other faculty I met during the interview were very approachable and seem like they would be great people to hang out with and I really hit it off well with them. Wasn't as impressed with the residents here as I was at other places I interviewed, but they are the first class. I think this program is going to be very strong in a few years, but there are a few things I was concerned about. Trauma experience in Memphis is a complete unknown as no residents from this program have gone there yet, and the main hospital is not a trauma center. Pediatric exposure is a concern. I would like to see them do rotations in downtown Nashville at a level 1 trauma center, but nothing has been set up as of yet.

6) Central Michigan University - Pleasantly surprised by this program. Had heard some less than great things going in, but they have a new PD who seems to be doing a great job. Really hit it off well with the faculty and residents, and they are a tight knit group. Nice new facilities, program is well supported. Only big concern is pediatric exposure. Saginaw isn't high on my list of places to live, but at least its in Michigan.

7) University of Toledo - Another program I heard negative things about but was pleasantly surprised by. Also recently got a new PD who is doing a great job and who I hit it off very well with. Really liked the residents I met. They have made some changes to the curriculum that I feel will be for the better. GREAT international opportunities. New SIM center is beautiful. Residents seem very competent. Again concerned about pediatric exposure. Toledo isn't the best city, but if I end up having to be in Ohio Id prefer to be close to Michigan.

8) Mercy St. Vincent - Liked the faculty and really hit it off well with the residents. Strong EMS exposure.

9) Southern Illinois University - Great PD, other faculty were very approachable as well.

10) SUMMA Akron - Did NOT hit it off well with the PD. Facilities are beautiful though.

11) John Peter Smith - Really impressed with this program. I loved Fort Worth, but its too far from home. If this was in the midwest it would be a lot higher on my list. Unfortunately the crazy Texas attending salaries don't translate to resident salaries.

12) Wright State University - Faculty and residents freely admitted that US curriculum was weak, which is a huge negative for me.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, interaction with residents and faculty, reputation, moonlighting, strong peds and u/s with balanced curriculum.

1. Vanderbilt

2. Carolinas

3. Highland

4. LSU NOLA

5. UCLA Harbor

6. UCSF
7. Stanford
8. University of Arkansas
9. BMC
10. Cook County
11. BIDMC
12. Maricopa
13. UC Irvine
14. Kaiser SD
15. USF
16. UTSW
17. MGH/BWH

Alright, this is my ROL.

Main Considerations in Creating ROL:
Fit, reputation in academics, career paths of recent graduates, location, didactics, resident class ≥14, resident diversity, teaching opportunities, shift length, quality of residency coordinator, patient population, ultrasound curriculum. Yes, to the jaded attendings/residents out there, I am aware that a number of the features listed won't matter as a future attending, but they can certainly enhance one's residency experience.

I applied to 42 places, was invited to 28, withdrew early from 6, not invited to 6, didn't hear from the remaining 2. My interview-to-application ratio was therefore 28/36 if we exclude the places I withdrew early from.

My stats were fairly competitive and overall I probably had an interesting application with few cookie cutter extracurriculars. STEPs were roughly +1 SD above mean. Did not apply to some well-known places like LAC+USC, BIDMC, Advocate Christ or Palmetto health; only learned about these presumably great programs after ERAS applications had been submitted and my interview trail had started.

Top 5 Programs on my ROL:
1. XXXXX XXXXXX
2. Indiana University
3. UT Southwestern (Dallas)
4. Emory
5. UCSF-Fresno

The Rest (in no particular order): Cook County, Maricopa, Vanderbilt, University of Michigan, UT Houston, LSN New Orleans, Mayo Clinic, Christus Spohn, Highland

Random fun (or maybe not) experiences on the interview trail:
Best interview day lunch: UT Southwestern in Dallas
Best overall interview experience: Denver Health
Best resident interviewer: Mayo Clinic
Coolest PD: Dr. Suau at LSU in New Orleans
Best tour: UCSF in Fresno
Worst tour: All tours that included visits to the ICU. They all look the same
– Best interview day applicant group was at Emory
Nicest-looking ED: The new University Hospital at LSU New Orleans
Oldest-looking ED: Cook County Hospital
Least diverse program: Vanderbilt
– Went overtime on almost all of my interviews (not intentionally)
– Longest individual interview was ~45 minutes (15 minutes overtime)
– Shortest was ~8 minutes (3 minutes overtime)
– A good number of interviewers do actually read your personal statement
– Most interview questions were very predictable. Just Google that Northwestern U document
– Three interviews were in a different language. This is for the people out there exaggerating their foreign language proficiency. You will get caught.
– Some programs offered paid-for (i.e., cost of airplane tickets, hotel stay, booze) 2nd look visits to a very small number of candidates. I went on three of these.
– The best pre-interview socials were the ones hosted at a resident's house rather than a loud/packed restaurant/bar.
– Cringed at the number of non-Texas applicants who only applied to UT Austin out of all Texas EM programs.
– Airbnb + Uber are the best.

That is all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@Trazor sounds incredibly salty. I don't get paid to post ROLs on SDN in a timely fashion and will do it as it becomes convenient to my schedule. So if I announced posting later today was to get people to submit theirs now and not have to check on the Google Form over the weekend.

Hhhmmmm, I dunno, this post itself smacks of NaCl. :hungry:

I mean, if that is the case you could just be transparent and say "hey folks, I've got a lot going on right now and won't be checking the Google form over the weekend, so if you want your ROL posted, make sure to add it in the next __ hours" instead of being unnecessarily tricky. We get it, man.

:highfive:

Everyone's stress level is high in advance of next week, so I expect lots of 'interesting' posts over the next 3-7 days. Let's all have a Gatorade G2...then one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

Last edited:
Hhhmmmm, I dunno, this post itself smacks of NaCl. :hungry:

I mean, if that is the case you could just be transparent and say "hey folks, I've got a lot going on right now and won't be checking the Google form over the weekend, so if you want your ROL posted, make sure to add it in the next __ hours" instead of being unnecessarily tricky. We get it, man. :highfive:

Everyone's stress level is high in advance of next week, so I expect lots of 'interesting' posts over the next 3-7 days. Let's all have a Gatorade G2...then one bourbon, one scotch, and one beer.

K

Reactions: 2 users
1 week to go. Will post rank list after match.

Posting mine after fellowship and a few years of attendinghood...you know, just to be safe.

1. Orlando Health
2. USF
3. UF Jax
4. FL Hospital
5. UCSF-(Zuckerburg)SFGH

Will post the other 9 ranks after match day with explanations and my story.

1. Hopkins
2. Maryland
3. OSU
4. LSU-Nola
5. WashU
6. Alabama
7. Palmetto Health
8. Baylor
9. UMass
10. Georgetown

Rest = irrelevant. Applied to 50. Invited at 26. Attended 16.

Edit: Some extra info

I generally liked every place that I interviewed. I would have put WashU higher, but the PD told a room full of midwest applicants that his dream is to have less midwest people and more east/west coast residents. I almost didn't rank Dartmouth because I felt that it would be a terrible career choice to go there (36k or so patients per year. ed was dead when i was there. faculty werent the friendlist, heard term "ivy league" 6+ times).

Last edited:
Cool to see some love for the Hopkins program. Such a unique program with out of this world resources. I was surprised to see it so low on previous lists. I assume there are some folks who take the interview "because it is Hopkins" without ever wanting to wind up in Baltimore. Thanks for all the recent lists, folks. So interesting!

Such a lie, In-N-Out is in your top 5 twice.

Last edited:
1. Hopkins
2. Maryland
3. OSU
4. LSU-Nola
5. WashU
6. Alabama
7. Palmetto Health
8. Baylor
9. UMass
10. Georgetown

Rest = irrelevant. Applied to 50. Invited at 26. Attended 16.

Edit: Some extra info

I generally liked every place that I interviewed. I would have put WashU higher, but the PD told a room full of midwest applicants that his dream is to have less midwest people and more east/west coast residents. I almost didn't rank Dartmouth because I felt that it would be a terrible career choice to go there (36k or so patients per year. ed was dead when i was there. faculty werent the friendlist, heard term "ivy league" 6+ times).

Nice seeing some love for Ohio State, only the third person to even mention it. It's at the top of my rank list and one other person's. Looks like everyone else is going to denver or cook county, lol

US MD student, top 20 school. Step scores ~260. Geography and access to good outdoor activities was a really important consideration for me, as well as my significant other. Tried to avoid really big cities. Gut feeling was also important, as was the perception of being able to see great and varied pathology. I ranked several more programs, but I omitted my final rank positions mostly for anonymity’s sake. I actually quite liked all programs in my top 8, and I would be really happy to match at any of those listed. I cannot believe how far down some programs ended up (my 6-8 really deserve to be top 5 - there wasn't enough room!), but that really speaks to how good all of these programs are. Please excuse the disorganization; these ramblings come from the notes I typed following each interview.

1. University of New Mexico- I rotated here, and it was a fantastic rotation. Great combo of county and community type of patients; great pathology. I learned so much here in just a few short weeks. Faculty are awesome teachers and awesome people. Residents are cool and know their stuff. Albuquerque is awesome. Amazing hiking right there and pretty much any amenities you’d want from a city. Not the lowest COL ever but also not particularly high. The food is amazing. Traffic isn’t bad. I like the 8+1 shifts. The shorter shift lengths gave me time to go hiking pretty much every day, which ruled. 17-18 shifts/month PGY1, 20 PGY2, 16 PGY3. 28-day blocks. Curriculum is pretty critical care-heavy, and several faculty are EM-CC boarded; they are impressive and really know their stuff. Only Level 1 trauma center in the entire state with a HUGE catchment area. I love everything about this program.

2. Texas Tech (El Paso): Crazy pathology here. Lots of patients from Juarez; very underserved population. These guys are basically treating 3rd world pathology with 1st world resources (somebody told me something to that effect - don't want to claim their quote as my own). 12-hour shifts. All rotations are at University Medical Center except Anesthesia, which is in El Paso at a community hospital. Mexican food here is excellent. You will learn medical Spanish here (most of the patient speak Spanish), but they give you classes, and interpretation is always available (I think this essentially forced acquisition of medical Spanish ability is an awesome thing). Traffic isn’t too bad. Tons of great outdoor activities in west TX and southern NM. Lower salary but COL is ridiculously low, and there are great benefits. El Paso is a really safe city - consistently ranked one of the safest cities over 500K population. Faculty seems pretty cool. PD (Dr. Wells) is very energetic and enthusiastic. Residents seem like cool people who are happy with the program. EM residents are well-respected in the hospital. ED is relatively new and pretty nice; there are nice private charting areas, too, which is a plus. I feel like this is a strong program that is often overlooked due to folks' dislike/misperceptions of El Paso; I like El Paso, though, so no problem there.

3. John Peter Smith (JPS, Fort Worth): I loved this program. They bounced all around my top 3, but Fort Worth, while a cool city, was just not my ideal location (not as much outdoor stuff as I would like, bit of a bigger city than I would like). This program is very lean; they cut out all the excess stuff you really won’t need while training for EM. You spend a lot of time in the ED, which I really liked. Faculty are really cool, down-to-earth people, and they have lots of specialist EM folks (toxicology, ultrasound, etc.). Scheduling is really good and well though-out (8+2 hours PGY1, 9+1 PGY2 and 3). Regressing 22, 20, 18 shifts. Rotations are actual months, not 28-day blocks. Longitudinal Peds shifts in PGY2 and 3 in Dallas. Have to commute (reimbursed for car or direct train travel) to Dallas Childrens’ Hospital; program is currently trying to negotiate with Fort Worth location to move rotations there. Benefits are really great, including a nice $1500 relocation allowance. Fort Worth is one of the safest cities of its size (5th or 6th safest, I think). Can get a little traffic-y. It is a fairly large city. Faculty seem like cool people; very enthusiastic about program and continuing to improve it. Emphasize that they treat residents as colleagues; no feeling of hierarchy. These residents were without a doubt the most enthusiastic of any residents I met on the interview trail; they obviously love their program. Report great working relationship with nurses and support staff. Facilities are new and gorgeous. Excellent financial backing by hospital. Very easy to get choice job in Texas once you graduate 2/2 connections. Program provided accommodation at a nice hotel with a shuttle to the interview. Moonlighting encouraged and begins about half way through second year, with no caps from the dept as long as your performance doesn't suffer.

4. University of Arkansas (UAMS) – Little Rock is pretty cool. There are trees pretty much everywhere; the city looks very green and woodsy. Very reasonable COL; residents easily own nice homes here. Good outdoor stuff nearby. Felt like the residents were my kind of people. Very warm and welcoming and very outdoorsy. Residents are very enthusiastic about the program and are well-respected in the hospital by other specialties. UAMS medical center is quite impressive and much bigger than I thought it would be, with lots of regional specialty centers. ED is really nice; everything looks clean and new. Only Level 1 in the state; tertiary referral center for entire state. Residents seemed to have great relationships with nurses and support staff, who seemed very happy to see our tour guide. Program is very well established (30+ year old). Seem to have good ultrasound experience with lots of new, very nice US machines. Program leadership is very receptive to resident feedback and EXPECTS it; has philosophy of “shared ownership” with residents. Cool rural EM month elective available in the Ozarks. Recently made changes that resulted in residents working 20 fewer hours during each ED month while not increasing number of shifts worked.

5. Christus Spohn (Corpus Christi) - Corpus seems like a sleepy coastal city (not really a bad thing, for me), moderate-sized. Traffic is very light. Easy access to nice beaches; any outdoor activities here center around the beach or water. Has all the essentials/amenities of any city. Low COL; pay here is really, really good considering the low COL (salary just increased; residents can easily own homes on the beach). 9-hour shifts. The residents seem super content, and the faculty are the nicest people you will ever meet.Program provided accommodations at the Omni, which was really nice of them. Really unopposed (Family Med is the only other residency program here), so you get to do pretty much everything, which is awesome. You work directly with attendings when off-service. Residents are well-respected at hospitals. Level 2 trauma center, if anyone cares (doesn't matter to me in the slightest). Pretty big catchment area.

6. Medical College of Georgia - Has 8+1-hour shifts – 22, 21, 19 regressing PGY1->PGY3. Pretty sick patient population. Leadership very open to resident suggestions - recent changes to offservice rotations made to make them higher-yield. This program is super strong in ultrasound, and they emphasize a "niche" concept for each resident and help residents in the pursuit of their specific interests within EM. Residents and faculty are super nice, down-to-earth people who also seem really happy here. COL is very low; had dinner at resident's home, which was a cool house in a woodsy area. Nice, clean city of almost 200K with all the amenities you would want. Region is pretty and heavily forested. Traffic is a non-issue. Surprisingly decent hiking and outdoor opportunities nearby (Clarks Hill Lake, FATS mountain bike trails, Savannah River, lots of State Parks, etc.) with mountains ~2-hour drive away. Really liked this program. Had a really good interview experience; felt like I really clicked with my resident and faculty interviewers.

7. West Virginia (WVU) - 10-hour shifts; PGY1 18 shifts + 1 step-up + 8 hours US/month; PGY2 19 shifts, 2 weeks rads w/ ED radiologist; PGY3 18 shifts, 2 elective months, can do rural EM. Easy to incorporate EMS/flight into all years (during EM months). Integrated Peds hospital, ~25% Peds daily. Peds is a strong point on grad surveys. Scribes for residents (in PGY2 and 3) for majority of shifts – greatly reduces time spent charting; residents seem to love this. EPIC EMR. New ED is being built. ED volume = 50K+. Good social services. A lot of US experience. Plenty of procedures. Salary and benefits seem quite good. Three weeks of vacation + 5-day holiday break (often given extra 1-2 days, too). Weekly simulation at sim center. Wilderness med – 1-2 retreats/year – Coopers Rock, guest educators. A lot of teaching opportunities for residents – ultrasound for school of medicine, MS4 sub-I, clinical skills preceptor, conference lectures, EMIG stuff, etc. Residents have history of going to fellowships of choice. Very well established program. Morgantown has tons of outdoor stuff nearby and is very scenic. It's definitely a small city, but it is a university town with all of the essentials that you would want. Very friendly, hospitable people, including the faculty and residents. Many seem to be from WV. Residents are fairly outdoorsy. Dinner at Pies & Pints was amazing; the pizza was incredible - my favorite pre-interview dinner.

8. University of Oklahoma (Tulsa) - 12-hour shifts; 18, 17, 16 regressive. Rotations are based on actual months, not 28 days. $700 relocation allowance, pretty good benefits and salary. Residents have good relationship with staff and nurses. Program leadership seems to really care about residents. Good ultrasound training. Faculty seem like nice, normal people; very enthusiastic about the program. Serve varied populations, from very underserved to wealthy (North vs. South Tulsa). Only one resident at dinner; didn’t really get to converse with any other residents, but resident said that he really liked the program and that they are a happy, closely-knit group (small group - only 6 residents per class). Fairly unopposed program; you are the trauma team; no anesthesia residency. No culture of excessive consulting. Program has now graduated 5 classes. Volume 50K, Peds 18%. Coverage: PGY3 10 beds and teach; PGY2 8-10 beds; PGY1 4-5 beds. Tulsa was surprisingly pretty - hilly with lots of lakes and state parks nearby. There was pretty much zero traffic during my “rush hour” commute to the interview. Decently large city with all city conveniences, but not big enough to be annoying.

The Rest (in no particular order): Cook County, Maricopa, Vanderbilt, University of Michigan, UT Houston, LSN New Orleans, Mayo Clinic, Christus Spohn, Highland
So, you are "that guy"? Where you put Maricopa, Vanderbilt, and Highland (for example) would likely be more intriguing, versus a non-alphabetical order that seems like it would be more difficult to randomize, instead of just listing it.

Damn, I didn't get my REM sleep last night due to anxiety. I'm going to church today and I'll be praying briefly for all the SDN EM applicants out there lol.. Good luck to everyone tomorrow.

Just about four hours until lists come out everybody!

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, and finally decided to get the motivation to make an account and post my rank list. There's a good chance that some of us will end up being co-residents by Friday, so I decided to come out of the wood work!

My list was primarily made out of academic interest, reputation, and proximity to family.

1. Indiana University
2. Vanderbilt
3. Cincinnati
4. OSU
5. University Michigan
6. Orlando Health
7. BIDMC
8. MGH/BW

Those are my top 8. Ranking the top 5 was a bit of a toss up--I'd honestly be insanely happy to train at any of those places. Hopefully I land in there... I won't bore you guys with any more. Best of luck!!! You'll all be in my thoughts today at 11!!!