2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

:claps: I will be applying to howard this cycle. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any good reason why as a non-urm you're applying to a few of the HBCU med schools? Just curious..
I have a history with volunteering in and around the D.C. area, having grown up here. Just because I'm not a URM doesn't mean I don't want to give back to this population.

I think it's a bit entitled to assume that all URMs have a right to apply to all medical schools, but mission-based students can't apply to schools like Howard just because of the color of our skin. Many Non-urms come from disadvantaged backgrounds too...

Reactions: 12 users
I have a history with volunteering in and around the D.C. area, having grown up here. Just because I'm not a URM doesn't mean I don't want to give back to this population.

I think it's a bit entitled to assume that all URMs have a right to apply to all medical schools, but mission-based students can't apply to schools like Howard just because of the color of our skin. Many Non-urms come from disadvantaged backgrounds too...
I was NOT trying to make this an argument or debate. I was just wondering why since you seem so optimistic about applying. That's all. Good luck! I hope everything works out!

Reactions: 2 users
OOS applicant, submitted. good luck to everyone.

A little early in the cycle but I just wanted to wish you all good luck for the upcoming cycle! I'm an incoming HUCM med student so if you guys have any questions about the application process, feel free to message me.

Applying this year. LizzyM 62, non-urm, oos. Let's see how this goes!

I'm non-urm with LizzyM in low 60s and was accepted this past cycle! Wishing you the best. =)

Reactions: 3 users
What does LizzyM mean?

It's your MCAT plus your GPA times 10. (I think there might be some correction added or subtracted, but that's what it is in general.
So if you had a 33 and 3.5, your LizzyM would be 33 + 35 = 68.
That's what I always thought it was anyway! Haha

Hey everyone. I'm applying to Howard for this cycle. Can't wait for primary apps to be sent out to the schools.

Just a quick, totally meaningless aside but does anyone else always at first misread Howard University as "Harvard University"? Once again totally stupid and random but its gonna keep bugging me if I don't bring it up

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a quick, totally meaningless aside but does anyone else always at first misread Howard University as "Harvard University"? Once again totally stupid and random but its gonna keep bugging me if I don't bring it up
lol not really

Hey everyone, I'm also applying to Howard! I'm also a non-URM minority (if that matters??) and I've got a low GPA/decent MCAT and a whole lot of heart so I'm hoping they see that :)

Aside from staying in NY (it's home, and its NY lol), I would gladly relocate to DC for Howard (I've spent some time in DC and liked it).

Best of luck everyone! Can't wait till secondaries are out.

URM - Non Trad Submitted! Good luck to everyone

Hey everyone I'm gearing up for my second year here at HUCM. I might be a bit removed from the application process, but if I can help please let me know.

Hey everyone I'm gearing up for my second year here at HUCM. I might be a bit removed from the application process, but if I can help please let me know.

hey thank you for making yourself available. I wanted ask whether or not does howard look favorably on those who went to the university for undergrad? What where some of things you did during the application process and far as contacting admission.

Hello everyone! I'm an incoming first year to Howard so I was just in your shoes a few months ago. If you have any questions about my application process, scores, gpa, etc. feel free to message me! Good luck!

hey thank you for making yourself available. I wanted ask whether or not does howard look favorably on those who went to the university for undergrad? What where some of things you did during the application process and far as contacting admission.
I don't know if they look favorably on HU undergrads but we do seem to have a bunch in our class. As far as contacting the office I'd say be as respectful as possible, but also make yourself known. Figure good excuses to call them (I'm just checking on the status of my application) and make a good impression.

Has anyone gotten the secondary yet? Just curious.

From previous years, it seems like they don't send out secondaries until August. The questions don't seem to change though, so you can get started on pre-writing the essays.

Reaaplicant but applying to Howard for the first time! Good luck everyone! :)

Hello everyone!

So I have heard some troubling things about Howard and I'm wondering if anyone has heard the same. I have heard that the school is very competitive among students and that the faculty aren't very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has heard the same?

what are the students like in terms of competitiveness and friendliness? are the faculty and staff nothing but supportive?

Reactions: 1 users
most of those are only for the 14-15 applications cycle :( but it seems that howard doesnt have an essay, mostly just short answer questions.
they usually don't change from year to year. i noticed loyola changed this year though

Secondaries are not coming out until August 15th....Applying here also! Good luck to everyone!!

Secondaries are not coming out until August 15th....Applying here also! Good luck to everyone!!
that's a relief. i hope meharry and morehouse do the same. i need a break :(

Do you guys know what the grading system will be like at Howard? Pass/Fail?

Hello everyone!

So I have heard some troubling things about Howard and I'm wondering if anyone has heard the same. I have heard that the school is very competitive among students and that the faculty aren't very helpful. Just wondering if anyone has heard the same?

I have heard exactly the same thing from other applicants. There's a lot of student who apply and I have heard it takes a really long time before you even receive a secondary or hear a decision. Apparently close to 6,000 student applied the last cycle.

I have heard more so that once you get IN the school it's competitive among students. Not the app process.

Hello everyone!

I'm a second year and this is false. The students on the whole are very helpful and the professors are too.

what are the students like in terms of competitiveness and friendliness? are the faculty and staff nothing but supportive?
I don't know where this nonsense is coming from. Of course there can be one or two bad apples, but on the whole the students are extremely supportive of one another and the faculty are always available for help if need be. Howard is well known for this. I heard about this long before I started here and it's one of the reasons I applied and one of the reasons I'm proud to be at Howard.

I have heard more so that once you get IN the school it's competitive among students. Not the app process.
Once again, just to reiterate, this is false and I'm surprised you guys are hearing this. If you talk to any current Howard student, I can pretty much guarantee that within about 10 seconds the term "family atmosphere" will come come of their mouth.

Does anyone have the secondaries from last year?

And also I was wondering if i have a shot at applying. Im a Canadian student... 3.95 cGPA 3.96sGPA (9P/6V/11B) :(
- And very good circulars (multiple shadowing, president of club, founder of fundraiser, professional dancer, 7 exec positions, clinical volunteer, research, international medical volunteer trip, etc....)
I'd say you're in the ballpark. I'd use the dancer thing to talk about how it taught you teamwork, work ethic, and exposure to other cultures.

I don't know where this nonsense is coming from. Of course there can be one or two bad apples, but on the whole the students are extremely supportive of one another and the faculty are always available for help if need be. Howard is well known for this. I heard about this long before I started here and it's one of the reasons I applied and one of the reasons I'm proud to be at Howard.
sorry, it's just a question i ask about all the schools i'm interested in

Don't get me wrong. The question is totally fair, and you should ask. But now you know. :)

Looked at last years thread and they received secondaries on the 8th.. So hopefully soon we will hear back??:shrug:

Just got an e-mail from Howard that they're sending secondaries starting August 17th!

Just got an e-mail from Howard that they're sending secondaries starting August 17th!
i thought mine was an II because of the subject line and then i was like, ...wait i never submitted a secondary for this school

Anyone else think the email was the actual secondary...:uhno: what a tease! Just 10 more days

M1 Student at Howard. Let me know if you have any questions!

Does anyone know if the secondary is paper or electronic? Also, what's the fee?

I'm not sure why I can't find this info on the website.

Does anyone know if the secondary is paper or electronic? Also, what's the fee?

I'm not sure why I can't find this info on the website.

From their email the other day:
"After August 17, INVITATIONS TO COMPLETE THE SECONDARY will be sent to all newly verified appicants from [email protected] every Friday or Monday until December 30, 2015.

Your secondary invitation will include the URL, your username, and password.

• Only verified applicants will be reviewed and considered for an interview.

• Once your secondary is submitted online, you will be able to check to see whether your application has been received on the apply.medicine website. However, please give us at least six weeks to acknowledge/ review your application. We have thousands of applications to read."