2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
No single space. Some schools have similar secondaries so I was able to reuse a lot of the questions.

Hey, I was just looking at your signature and noticed that you had success with your app despite it being really late. Congrats! I was wondering if you could share your stats and story? Did you apply MD or DO? What do you think led to your acceptances? I wanted to PM you, but I'm not able to start a convo with you :shrug: hope you can help! Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I was just looking at your signature and noticed that you had success with your app despite it being really late. Congrats! I was wondering if you could share your stats and story? Did you apply MD or DO? What do you think led to your acceptances? I wanted to PM you, but I'm not able to start a convo with you :shrug: hope you can help! Thanks :)

Yeah I was really late in the cycle lol. Submitted primary in October and secondaries in November and December. I prob would have had more success, if I had applied earlier.

22, 23 and then a 501
Sci 3.53 and 3.6 overall

I'm non trad and been out for more than three years. In undergrad and post grad I won a lot of prestigious fellowships, scholarships and had a lot of research under my belt. This def. helped with my overall package. I'm very involved in my community and mentoring minority students esp when it comes to medicine. I'm an all around applicant. My only downfall was my MCAT. My stats was high enough to get into medical school, but if I had applied in June/July I prob would have gotten ten interviews instead of seven. If my MCAT was just at least a 503-505 I would have gotten way more than ten interviews. I'm not bragging or boasting but people who know me can attest to my package and I wasn't worried if I was going to get into a medical school.

I've done so many things to list and I had so many experiences to pull from. I think applying late and interviewing late was my downfall because the class was already full at some schools. Eh, I am grateful and blessed that I had more than one option to chose from and I don't have to repeat this process. Unfortunately, there are many amazing applicants who fall under this category . Apply widely and apply with confidence ;)

Edit: I had leadership, international, research, community, and mentoring experiences. I had a lot of hours as well lol

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I was really late in the cycle lol. Submitted primary in October and secondaries in November and December. I prob would have had more success, if I had applied earlier.

22, 23 and then a 501
Sci 3.53 and 3.6 overall

I'm non trad and been out for more than three years. In undergrad and post grad I won a lot of prestigious fellowships, scholarships and had a lot of research under my belt. This def. helped with my overall package. I'm very involved in my community and mentoring minority students esp when it comes to medicine. I'm an all around applicant. My only downfall was my MCAT. My stats was high enough to get into medical school, but if I had applied in June/July I prob would have gotten ten interviews instead of seven. If my MCAT was just at least a 503-505 I would have gotten way more than ten interviews. I'm not bragging or boasting but people who know me can attest to my package and I wasn't worried if I was going to get into a medical school.

I've done so many things to list and I had so many experiences to pull from. I think applying late and interviewing late was my downfall because the class was already full at some schools. Eh, I am grateful and blessed that I had more than one option to chose from and I don't have to repeat this process. Unfortunately, there are many amazing applicants who fall under this category . Apply widely and apply with confidence ;)

Edit: I had leadership, international, research, community, and mentoring experiences. I had a lot of hours as well lol

Thanks for sharing with us all! Was this the first time that you applied?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone! Is there anyone who took the MCAT in January and was accepted to Howard? I am wondering if its worth it or I should just wait for another application cycle.

Do NOT stress if you haven't received an invite to interview. Howard makes full use of the entire interview season (they group and select similar people to interview together).

Current M2- I applied in August and interviewed in January, not accepted until April.

Just relax and let the application process happen- remember that Howard looks for reason to ACCEPT you, not reject you.

I would love to believe this, but I haven't seen one post about anyone with an interview invites outside of August and September secondary completions. Is this normal for an institution that accepts secondaries well into January?