2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No prob. Do any current students lurking on here know when the interview season actually starts for Howard?

Members don't see this ad.

No prob. Do any current students lurking on here know when the interview season actually starts for Howard?
I'm not a current student, but the first II in the 2014-2015 thread was sent on my birthday, 9/25/14. Wouldn't that be a nice present! Dates offered were at the end of October/beginning of November.

Can anyone confirm if the questions posted below are the questions for this year?

• Is any member of your family currently or previously associated with Howard University College of Medicine? (employee, graduate, etc)
  • Is any member of your family currently or previously associated with Howard University (any school or college)?
  • I have lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged. Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • After residency, I plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community. Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • I have worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations Yes: No: If yes, please explain/describe briefly:
  • I am self-described as a Native American. If yes, please attach your Certificate of Tribal Affiliation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a secondary... it's neither Friday nor Monday. Interesting.

Close enough? Would you mind sharing whether or not the questions are the same as last year? :D

How many characters/words is everyone planning on using?

I'm doing about ~200 words.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else still waiting for the secondary? I haven't gotten it yet, and it's not in my spam or anything.

I haven't received a secondary as well but the email they sent 10 days ago said that they will send secondaries after August 17th on Mondays and Fridays

Does anyone else notice on the secondary that for courses planning on taking it only lists the options for Fall 2014- summer 2015? What are you guys going to put? It should say Fall 2015-Summer 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else notice on the secondary that for courses planning on taking it only lists the options for Fall 2014- summer 2015? What are you guys going to put? It should say Fall 2015-Summer 2016.
It's a bit annoying, I have the same problem.... :(

Yay I just got my secondary. This is my last one for this cycle!!

Just received a secondary! Let's crunch it out, guys!

Your application will not be screened until AFTER the secondary application and fee are received.

This is from the secondary email. They don't screen

Submitted.. would really like to go here.

I am just going to ignore it and treat it like it says Fall 2015- Summer 2016 and insert them that way. Hopefully that's okay!

Hey dunno if anyone can help me out here, but worth a try.

I got a secondary from Howard University and notice for the course requirements we need a full year of english. I took an English Composition Class one semester which definitely counts towards the requirement, but I am unsure whether my ProSeminar class would count. My undergrad classifies this as an intense Writing course, but not sure whether Howard would consider this.

Any input on this? thanks!

I'm in the same boat on the English requirement. Both of the courses my undergrad pre-health advising recommends that we take are in our "writing" department. There are other options in the English department, but I did not take them. :-/

If you have clicked yes the medically underserved areas-- how in depth are you going on these questions? I feel like my answers are 1-2 sentences because my entire life has been in underserved areas. Is this ok?

So I went to the health resources and services administration to check if the neighborhood I grew up in was medically underserved and it had an MUA/P score of 62 which means it meets the medically underserved criteria. However, the last update of the score was in 1994. Do you guys know where else I can look for this information?

So I went to the health resources and services administration to check if the neighborhood I grew up in was medically underserved and it had an MUA/P score of 62 which means it meets the medically underserved criteria. However, the last update of the score was in 1994. Do you guys know where else I can look for this information?
on your AMCAS pdf application, check if there is a "U" below your current address. It stands for "medically underserved area".

Thank you! It shows as U

Last question about this, for the medically underserved areas does it have to be in the United States?

If it really was then I suppose you could make a pretty convincing argument for why the area you grew up in was medically underserved, no matter what country it's in. Go for it!

Hey dunno if anyone can help me out here, but worth a try.

I got a secondary from Howard University and notice for the course requirements we need a full year of english. I took an English Composition Class one semester which definitely counts towards the requirement, but I am unsure whether my ProSeminar class would count. My undergrad classifies this as an intense Writing course, but not sure whether Howard would consider this.

Any input on this? thanks!
http://healthsciences.howard.edu/education/colleges/medicine/admissions/requirements and procedures

Look on this website, I think what they need is English Composition I ( 3 credit hours) and English composition II (3 credit hours), that's about it. You would not be able to graduate without taking those 2 courses, so I think pretty much everyone has them. Just my take on it. Anyone else?

http://healthsciences.howard.edu/education/colleges/medicine/admissions/requirements and procedures

Look on this website, I think what they need is English Composition I ( 3 credit hours) and English composition II (3 credit hours), that's about it. You would not be able to graduate without taking those 2 courses, so I think pretty much everyone has them. Just my take on it. Anyone else?
My undergrad school only required one semester. I have the rest in AP credits, though, which they gave me as credit for Comp I and I took only Comp II.

My undergrad school only required one semester. I have the rest in AP credits, though, which they gave me as credit for Comp I and I took only Comp II.
so you fulfilled both requirements, you put down one as AP credit

so you fulfilled both requirements, you put down one as AP credit
Sure, I fit Howard's requirements with AP credit. I mean not everyone actually had to take multiple comp classes though, I only had enough credits for comp by pure luck.

does anyone know what stats howard is looking for? me harry said to be competitive you need a 495...so i wonder if the hbcu's are around the same ball park

does anyone know what stats howard is looking for? me harry said to be competitive you need a 495...so i wonder if the hbcu's are around the same ball park

In their secondary Howard stated that the median MCAT was a 61 percentile score. So I'm assuming if you have around a 503 (61 percentile on New Mcat) and above, you'd be competitive.

Anyone else notice when listing the classes youre taking between now and july 2015 that the date is wrong? It says 2014, not 2015. Also, my gen chem and orgo classes had separate labs, do I combined the credits when listing them?

Wow, I submitted the secondary right before the blast of email from HUCM to clarify things. Oh well. Hopefully they understand. I find it really unfortunate that HUCM, a school with so much emphasis on serving the disadvantaged will not grant fee waivers to students who have AMCAS FAP.

Reactions: 5 users
Are there any suggested character limits for these essays? It doesn't seem like there are any…….

I have no idea because but it says "describe briefly". My volunteering essay turned out to be 6500 characters=1.5 pages long, so I am waiting on submission for now until tomorrow or Friday. Also, I am consulting someone tomorrow, I will let you know what they say

I have no idea because but it says "describe briefly". My volunteering essay turned out to be 6500 characters=1.5 pages long, so I am waiting on submission for now until tomorrow or Friday. Also, I am consulting someone tomorrow, I will let you know what they say

Okay thanks! Mine is about 2700 characters with spaces right now which isn't totally unreasonable but I will try to make it more concise.

yea i chose summer 2015 for all and next to where you enter the course symbol and number, I put the expected term in parenthesis =/

Okay thanks! Mine is about 2700 characters with spaces right now which isn't totally unreasonable but I will try to make it more concise.
Wow those are long. My response was probably like a paragraph long. I hope that does not come back to bite me in the keister later on.

So secondaries are sent out once a week? So I'm guessing the next one will be sent out next Monday? Hopefully.

So I haven't received my secondary yet, but I got 4 emails in a row last night from HUCM (pasted below) about problems with their secondary. Does this mean I should have already received an invitation to complete a secondary? Because I haven't. I called but they have reduced hours due to the the applications, so no answer... wish these schools were easier to get a hold of...

"We have received a number of phone calls/emails about the secondary application. Below are some answers to some frequently-asked questions. We hope that this helps.

In addition, we have learned that for the drop down area of Questions 12, the date is incorrect. We are having our software developers correct the dates for this question. However, you may go ahead and complete this secondaryand submit the using the appropriate dates: September 2015 through June 2016.

1. Course Audit Sheet - Remember: we have your AMCAS application. The course audit sheet helps us (particularly faculty) focus into your premed requirements more quickly. The form is designed to be flexible. Here are some examples of ways to complete the form so it fits your individual coursework and institution.

Remember: Additional or unusual information about your courses can be put in the textbox below the course audit sheet.

2. Payment - Make sure you scroll to the BOTTOM of the page to see the submit button. In addition, our credit card contractor does not take credit cards from international banking systems. They must be from a U.S. banking system.

3. If you can't see your submissions, try switching to Google Chrome.

4. Any additional information that you think is important for us to know can be included in the textbox entitled "Is there anything else..."

5. Inorganic Chemistry and General Chemistry are equivalents. Both are non-carbon based chemistry.

All the best,

The Admissions Office"

They said they won't send out the next batch of secondaries until Friday