2015-2016 Ophthalmology Ranking Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would love any opinions!

NYEE
Tufts
NYU
Henry Ford
William Beaumont
UVA
Case Western

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be happy for any comments/suggestions for some of my favorite programs I'm considering too! Primarily I'm looking for a program with strong overall clinical training and resident happiness/satisfaction. Most seem to have decent fellowship match from what I've seen, and research isn't as big of a concern. I have family on the west coast and midwest, and went to school on the east coast, so location really doesn't matter as much. I think I'm in a good position in that I really would love training at all these programs, but wanted to get any feedback as well. Thanks!

CPMC
USC
NYEE
Mt. Sinai
Rutgers
Georgetown
Rush
Arizona

I have a hard time deciding between 2 programs: UT San Antonio and Henry Ford. Is anybody familiar with both programs?
Which program has a better training and fellowship matches?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do programs and applicants have the same deadline for rank list submission?

I have a hard time deciding between 2 programs: UT San Antonio and Henry Ford. Is anybody familiar with both programs?
Which program has a better training and fellowship matches?

That is a tough choice. Best advice is to go with your gut, as both are good programs. I would personally love to have the VA affiliation that UTSA has, as the surgical volume and pathology has the potential to be more consistent and you will "know what you are getting." At HF, it seems like you might have to put some stock in the idea of recruiting sufficient surgical diversity through the clinic, which can vary year to year. HF has an amazing wet lab experience; UTSA has great refractive experience at Lackland airforce base. One subtle perk for UTSA is that it will allow you to network and tap into the texas job market, which is a great state to practice for physicians. Both have good fellowship matching, so you will not be limited at either - the above is more of an additional perk at UTSA to consider. Living costs are cheap in both areas, and HF has the option to live on the hospital grounds in a housing unit, so could be convenient for those that want to be near. Last but not least: in terms of personal preference, do you enjoy colder or warmer environments? Am guessing besides a few subtleties, these programs will be more similar than different. Best of luck!

Last edited:
That is a tough choice. Best advice is to go with your gut, as both are good programs. I would personally love to have the VA affiliation that UTSA has, as the surgical volume and pathology has the potential to be more consistent and you will "know what you are getting." At HF, it seems like you might have to put some stock in the idea of recruiting sufficient surgical diversity through the clinic, which can vary year to year. HF has an amazing wet lab experience; UTSA has great refractive experience at Lackland airforce base. One subtle perk for UTSA is that it will allow you to network and tap into the texas job market, which is a great state to practice for physicians. Both have good fellowship matching, so you will not be limited at either - the above is more of an additional perk at UTSA to consider. Living costs are cheap in both areas, and HF has the option to live on the hospital grounds in a housing unit, so could be convenient for those that want to be near. Last but not least: in terms of personal preference, do you enjoy colder or warmer environments? Am guessing besides a few subtleties, these programs will be more similar than different. Best of luck!

Thank you for the detailed response. I agree that both programs are good. UTSA has the advantage of having a VA hospital also the refractive surgery experience.
I am not sure about HF numbers but I think they are lower than UTSA. I am not a big fan of the humid weather in SA but I could live with it for 3 years.
I am concerned about living in Detroit too. I don't think it as bad as people say but I know it can be rough.

Can you please help to rank UIC vs. UPMC vs. UCO (U Colorado) vs. UCSD?
without considering any personal preference, Thanks guys

Do we just sit and wait once we have submitted rank lists? Just making sure if there's anything else that we have to take care of lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Do we just sit and wait once we have submitted rank lists? Just making sure if there's anything else that we have to take care of lol.

Yup. Nothing else to do except wait. Good luck.

What do you guys think about those 3 programs: VCU, Temple, and U Arizona? I am leaning more towards VCU then Temple.
I am interested in retina and looks like all of them do ok in fellowship match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Help! Deadline is approaching!

Match day is approaching and the nerves are building up... but also starting to get very excited!!

The SF Match sent an email a couple of weeks back outlining the timeline of things.
Jan 12 - We get an email of whether we matched or not
Jan 13 - We find out where!

I've heard that some program directors/coordinators call applicants on January 12 though, welcoming them to the program! Is this how most people find out? A phone call on January 12? Or do we mostly have to wait in agony for 24 more hours??

Match day is approaching and the nerves are building up... but also starting to get very excited!!

The SF Match sent an email a couple of weeks back outlining the timeline of things.

I've heard that some program directors/coordinators call applicants on January 12 though, welcoming them to the program! Is this how most people find out? A phone call on January 12? Or do we mostly have to wait in agony for 24 more hours??

Most programs will contact you in some form or another at some point during the day...
It depends on the program. Some PDs like to personally call all matched applicants right away, some PDs email you, some places have their program coordinators call you and give you the good news, other places have program coordinators email you, as you can imagine the list goes on.
Your Dean's Office also knows where you matched on January 12th. So you can ask them where you matched as well if you want to.

Reactions: 1 users
My dean told me at noon the following day, so I actually found out from them. My program called me at 3pm. Some people got called at 6am! It's exciting :)

Most programs will contact you in some form or another at some point during the day...
It depends on the program. Some PDs like to personally call all matched applicants right away, some PDs email you, some places have their program coordinators call you and give you the good news, other places have program coordinators email you, as you can imagine the list goes on.
Your Dean's Office also knows where you matched on January 12th. So you can ask them where you matched as well if you want to.

Some point during the day on the 12th or 13th?

• University of Rochester
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Arizona
  • University of Missouri - Kansas City
  • Sinai Hospital in Baltimore
  • University of Louisville
  • Brown University
  • Stony Brook
  • University of Florida - Jacksonville
Happy New Year everyone! Can someone please help me rank these programs? Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much in advance!

I got a call from my program director a few hours after the initial match email was sent out. I was so happy that I cried.

Would love some (very) last minute input on these programs:

Ohio State vs. Georgetown

and

Case Western vs. Henry Ford vs. Tufts vs. Cincinnati

Thanks so much! And good luck in 10 days!

I'd also like some last minute input on UIC vs Emory.

I'm from the northeast and ultimately would like to end up there (if that matters re: fellowships, networking), and I'll probably do a fellowship so ability to match well is important. Also interested in quality of life, clinical/surgical readiness, and research

Thanks!!

I'd also like some last minute input on UIC vs Emory.

I'm from the northeast and ultimately would like to end up there (if that matters re: fellowships, networking), and I'll probably do a fellowship so ability to match well is important. Also interested in quality of life, clinical/surgical readiness, and research

Thanks!!

Emory >> UIC. No question.

Reactions: 4 users
Emory is considered one of the best residencies

on a related note, any thoughts on emory vs. baylor? location aside, the two seem very similar.

The volume at Emory is huge. I know specifically that Emory residents pull 12 hour days on a daily basis especially when working at the VA. Even the most enthusiastic residents say they are overworked, and really not for their benefit. I'd still stay Emory > Baylor overall, especially now, less so 15-20 years ago. Also, UT Houston is working hard to take the spotlight away from Baylor so you have to think about that as well whether it be volume, faculty, researchers etc.

I'm pretty even on UC Davis vs. U Rochester... any thoughts there?

Lol well then they must be REALLY unhappy at Emory :)

Both hard working programs that train great residents.

Historically and probably still true to some degree, but a consideration is that Emory has an edge on retina, and Baylor on cornea.

Both hard working programs that train great residents.

Historically and probably still true to some degree, but a consideration is that Emory has an edge on retina, and Baylor on cornea.

I was kidding I just heard mixed reviews

curious about input on NYMC jamaica and UF jacksonville. personally i am interested in fellowship and a career in academics

Last edited:
Jacksonville would be better

Because if you're interested in academics, you want to be at a program with fellowships, more faculty, and research. I don't know much about the NYMC Jamaica program, but it looks like a purely community program.

Because if you're interested in academics, you want to be at a program with fellowships, more faculty, and research. I don't know much about the NYMC Jamaica program, but it looks like a purely community program.

Jacksonville is a young program... With good chance at ASOPRS but uncertain how they match otherwise....

However if I'm not mistaken NYMC Jamaica was on probation at some point... Was it not? Or was that only the one in Westchester?

I remember at Jacksonville interview them mentioning a # of recent grads had gone to fellowships; also seemed to have good # of publication opportunities with almost all their resident research projects getting published

last minute indecision...

UIC vs UCSD vs WashU? ... in terms of strength of training and fellowship placement and ignoring obvious location differences

Do you like research because if yes, then Wash U. clinical training is actually rather average and the residents are pretty average in their surgical technique which I personally believe is a reflection of their research focus along with the large # of fellows and residents in a rather small city (splitting volume with SLU, but washu has the VA).

I'd say UCSD=UIC if location doesn't matter. But I believe all 3 places can equally place you excellently for fellowship

Last minute! VCU or U Arizona. Thinking VCU based on training only? Any advice?

Thanks.. any thoughts on UC Davis vs. Rochester?

Both are great programs... I like Sacramento slightly better than Rochester... but the chair at Rochester is fantastic!

Thanks.. any thoughts on UC Davis vs. Rochester?

Both are great programs... I like Sacramento slightly better than Rochester... but the chair at Rochester is fantastic!

UC Davis is a clear choice for me. I never interviewed at Rochester and have heard decent things. But I know a family friend who went there for dentistry and told me the winters there are some of the saddest times you will ever experience- cold, grey, isolated.

Any last minute advice on Georgetown vs Rutgers? Thank you !

NYMC Jamaica is not (or barely) affiliated with NYMC, at least that's what the chair told me. NYMC Jamaica's affiliation is Jamaica Hospital.

this was a good thread. best of luck everybody.