2015-2016 Ophthalmology Ranking Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congratulations on matching! can anyone post the link to the spreadsheet where people can post their match result? curious who my co-residents are 🙂
 
in the same exact boat...

I matched at 8/11. **** happens, try and figure out why you may have matched where you did and move on. Nothing you can do about it now except accept where you are and be grateful that you matched. Imagine if you had matched at 12/11 AKA not matched.

If it's any consolation I know why I ended up where I did and I'm happy with my match in the end. Good luck guys. Congrats on your match its a huge accomplishment.
 
So I didn't match last year - worked my ass off for literally the last 364 days - matched today.

Can't overstate how relieved, excited and happy I am!!!

I could really use some advice. Any chance I could PM you? Thanks!
 
I don't mean to be a nag, but I gotta say this: if this year's anything like last year, ~30% of applicants didn't match at all, and if you're in that boat you'd give anything to match anywhere. It's quite painful to see people dissatisfied when they DO match to a program they willingly ranked...

Bonoz, or anyone else needing advice (on matching, not matching, or whatever really), feel free to PM me 🙂
 
I don't mean to be a nag, but I gotta say this: if this year's anything like last year, ~30% of applicants didn't match at all, and if you're in that boat you'd give anything to match anywhere. It's quite painful to see people dissatisfied when they DO match to a program they willingly ranked...

Bonoz, or anyone else needing advice (on matching, not matching, or whatever really), feel free to PM me 🙂

It won't let me PM you.. it gives me "ERROR..This member limits who may view their full profile."
 
Congrats to everyone who matched!! If you are unhappy with your match give yourself time to be unhappy. Then let it sink in that you are going to be an ophthalmologist (!!) and realize there are plenty of applicants who would GLADLY take your place. Vow to be a kick-ass resident at your future program. Matching in ophthalmology is a major accomplishment. Period.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to everyone who matched!! If you are unhappy with your match give yourself time to be unhappy. Then let it sink in that you are going to be an ophthalmologist (!!) and realize there are plenty of applicants who would GLADLY take your place. Vow to be a kick-ass resident at your future program. Matching in ophthalmology is a major accomplishment. Period.

Couldn't have said this better myself. somehow everyone you meet will tell you they matched at their #1. I always found this curious. Also I've found that no matter how you rank things there are good and bad to every program and you will never know any different from where you train. You will have no comparison, as you are not able to train for 3 months here and 3 months there. And what you perceive about a program as a med student is different that actually training there.

So, put on a happy face. You have done something incredible. And this process, whether you got your number 1 or your number 10, or didn't match, doesn't define you. We jump through many hoops in medicine and this was another hoop/hurtle.

Congratulations to all of you. For those of you who didn't match, take some time to cry, scream, binge and then start talking to advisors, mentors, people on here and move forward. There are many paths to take, and even some decide to do a different specialty and end up VERY happy. So think it through and keep moving.

Good luck everyone
 
Last edited:
The volume at Emory is huge. I know specifically that Emory residents pull 12 hour days on a daily basis especially when working at the VA. Even the most enthusiastic residents say they are overworked, and really not for their benefit. I'd still stay Emory > Baylor overall, especially now, less so 15-20 years ago. Also, UT Houston is working hard to take the spotlight away from Baylor so you have to think about that as well whether it be volume, faculty, researchers etc.

I am a current Emory ophthalmology attending hoping to provide some insight to the comment above. I agree that here in Atlanta we have a lot of volume as we are the only academic institution. The typical VA day is 8am until 5pm. Rarely clinic can go until 6pm. At Grady (the county hospital) there is more variability regarding when clinic is complete. Residents learn by doing in a very hands-on method. In my opinion the residents graduating from Emory are as well-trained as any in the country. Residency is a time to work hard and see a large volume of patients. This is how you learn and becoming clinically competent. Emory is a not a program for those who want to be home by 4pm every day.