General Admissions & OTCAS 2015-2016 stats/interview/rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on February 26th (I think) for Fall. Heard back March 23rd.

I would try sending your enrollment advisor an email just to check in. I sent one after the 2 week mark since they said we would hear by then. They pretty much gave me a generic response, "if your status changes in any way we will contact you", but certainly didn't hurt.
Will do, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to Wash. U at Saint Louis!! If anyone has visited this school could you tell me about it? I'm trying to decide between UTC and Wash.U. I know it is a good problem to have and that Wash.U is the top program in the country but I am having reservations. Help please!!

I got accepted to Wash. U at Saint Louis!! If anyone has visited this school could you tell me about it? I'm trying to decide between UTC and Wash.U. I know it is a good problem to have and that Wash.U is the top program in the country but I am having reservations. Help please!!
What criteria is being used to deem Wash U the best OT program in the country?

Members don't see this ad :)
What criteria is being used to deem Wash U the best OT program in the country?
I think they are most likely using the 2016 us news rank. Not the best measurable but not an inaccurate statement. In my opinion just a popularity contest between faculty and administrators

Reactions: 1 user
I think they are most likely using the 2016 us news rank. Not the best measurable but not an inaccurate statement. In my opinion just a popularity contest between faculty and administrators
U.S. News ranks them from most to least research intensive from what I understand. That doesn't equate to best either.

Update:

Major:
Psychology
Undergrad GPA: 3.25
OTCAS calculated undergrad GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: ranges from ~3.7-4.0
GRE: 151V, 153Q, 4.5 writing

Shadowing hours: 160+ Hours in a variety of settings including outpatient private peds practice, SNFs, inpatient adult rehab, special needs day camp, and elementary schools

Applied: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Ithaca, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont, Columbia, NYU, WashU in St. Louis (I applied literally everywhere--underestimated myself and had low confidence so it's a long list!)

Interviews: Nova Southeastern, MGH, Boston University, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Chatham, Salus, Thomas Jefferson, Temple (2 phone interviews), Belmont (declined interview), Ithaca (declined interview)

Acceptances: all of the above: Nova Southeastern University, Boston University, Virginia Commonwealth, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD,WashU OTD, MGH OTD

Wait list: Columbia and NYU (took my name off both)

Rejections: none!

Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 1 user
Major: Human Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 4.0
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155Q 151V 4.0 writing

Shadowing hours: 100 total hours in inpatient rehabilitation hospitals (both adult and pediatric), outpatient rehab clinics, and a hand therapy clinic

Applied: UAB, MUSC, and USA

Acceptances: UAB, MUSC (I was accepted off of the waitlist)

Interviews:
UAB, USA (declined interview)

Good luck everyone!!!

Update:

Major:
Psychology

Shadowing hours: 160+ Hours in a variety of settings including outpatient private peds practice, SNFs, inpatient adult rehab, special needs day camp, and elementary schools

Applied: Boston University, Massachusetts General Hospital IHP, Virginia Commonwealth, Nova Southeastern University MOT, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Ithaca, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD, Belmont, Columbia, NYU, WashU in St. Louis (I applied literally everywhere--underestimated myself and had low confidence so it's a long list!)

Interviews: Nova Southeastern, MGH, Boston University, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Chatham, Salus, Thomas Jefferson, Temple (2 phone interviews), Belmont (declined interview), Ithaca (declined interview)

Acceptances: all of the above: Nova Southeastern University, Boston University, Virginia Commonwealth, A.T. Still, Sacred Heart, University of New England, Bay Path, D'Youville, Chatham, Salus, Temple, Thomas Jefferson OTD,WashU OTD, MGH OTD

Good luck to everyone!!
Where are you thinking you'll go?! Thats an awesome list

Yeah I know, I was more asking if anyone had visited it and had any opinion on its facilities. But thanks!

Final Update!

University: University of North Georgia
Major: Psychology Minor: Gerontology
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA: not sure, depends on school
GRE: 152V 150Q 5.0W

Shadowing: 90 total: hippo therapy, pediatrics, hand therapy
Volunteer/work experience: Camp Twin Lakes summer staff (camp for kids with special needs), ABA line therapist, Youth Minister, Nanny for child with autism, mission trips to Africa and Nicaragua, Special Olympics, church nursery volunteer, summer nanny.

Applying: Belmont University, University of North Carolina, University of Florida, Boston University, MGH Institute of Health Professions, Brenau University, Columbia University, Washington University, Virginia Commonwealth University

Acceptances: MGH Institute of Health Professions, Columbia University, Brenau University, Washington University

Rejections: University of North Carolina, Boston University, University of Florida, Virginia Commonwealth

Waitlists: Belmont University

Interviews: Belmont (11/13), MGH Institute (2/5), Brenau (2/19)

I will be attending Columbia University so I will be taking my name off the waitlist for the other schools and forfeiting my deposit for MGH Institute!

University: UF
Major: Anthropology, education minor
Overall GPA: 2.8 undergrad, 3.0 if you include the pre-reqs I took post-bacc
GRE: 153 Q, 167 V, 5 writing

5 years work experience in special education (ESE)

Volunteer/observation in 4 different environments including elementary school OT, hand therapy, acute hospital setting, and an adults with developmental disabilities residential community (I think something like 300 hours total, but only about 180 when I applied)

Acceptances: University of St. Augustine (St. Augustine campus)

Rejections: wait listed at UF for their conditional admission track

Interviews: USA

I wanted to chime in mostly because in thread after thread I see people comparing stats, but I think it's important to know that the application process is so much more than stats; I know people who had a much higher GPA than mine that were outright rejected from both USA and UF. Your essay, experiences, references, and interview (if they do them), are equally important if not more. If it were strictly by the numbers I wouldn't have a chance to get in anywhere because of my low cumulative GPA. Find OTs and professors that are EXCITED to recommend you. Have them proof read your essay. Obviously my other stats do compensate somewhat.

Just some food for thought for anyone who may be discouraged.

Update: I was moved off the wait list and also accepted at UF!

Yeah I know, I was more asking if anyone had visited it and had any opinion on its facilities. But thanks!

Rankings are usually determined by the research the school does; not necessarily anything to do with your education quality.

FINAL UPDATE

University: University of Iowa
Major: Therapeutic Recreation
Overall GPA:3.1
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0 ish
GRE:302/3.5 writing

Experience: more than 4,000 hrs working with children and young adults with a WIDE variety of disabilities. 80 hrs with OTs

Acceptances: Gannon, USciences, St. Ambrose, AIC, Drake, St. Augustine Florida, Allen College

Rejections: UKansas, UIC, Touro Nevada, Murphy Deming, LLU (after video submission), Bay Path, UW-LaCrosse, UW Milwaukee and Creighton

Waitlisted: D'Youville, Kettering

Interviews: Creighton, Drake (accepted), St Ambrose (accepted), Allen College (accepted), Kettering (waitlisted); St Augustine (accepted)

Going to: Most Likely: St. Ambrose

Good Luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
FINAL UPDATE

University: University of Iowa
Major: Therapeutic Recreation
Overall GPA:3.1
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0 ish
GRE:302/3.5 writing

Experience: more than 4,000 hrs working with children and young adults with a WIDE variety of disabilities. 80 hrs with OTs

Acceptances: Gannon, USciences, St. Ambrose, AIC, Drake, St. Augustine Florida, Allen College

Rejections: UKansas, UIC, Touro Nevada, Murphy Deming, LLU (after video submission), Bay Path, UW-LaCrosse, UW Milwaukee and Creighton

Waitlisted: D'Youville, Kettering

Interviews: Creighton, Drake (accepted), St Ambrose (accepted), Allen College (accepted), Kettering (waitlisted); St Augustine (accepted)

Going to: Most Likely: St. Ambrose

Good Luck everyone!

Did you get accepted at Creighton University?

University: Kent State University
Major: Exercise Science--Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.81
GRE: 301: Math 152 Reading 149 Writing 4.5

Extra-Curric:Intramurals, work 28 hours/week at the rec center, club softball, work conferences/presentations

Acceptances: Hofstra University

Rejections: Cleveland State, Elmhurst, Findlay

Interviews: Hofstra

Major: kinesiology/ Bio minor
Overall GPA: OTCAS 3.52
Pre-Req GPA: didn't calculate but had a few B's
GRE: Too embarrassing to mention

Acceptances: MWU-Il, Usciences, WUSL, UTMB, Howard, St Kate's, Springfield

Waitlist: U of Toledo

Rejections: Belmont

Interviews: MWU-AZ campus(declined); Creighton(declined); Brenau(declined); UTHSCSA (decided not to do video)

If you don't mind me asking, what was the video portion for UTHSCSA?

I heard that the faculty have been known to throw the students under the bus on fieldwork sometimes (like sending them to a fieldwork with a terrible CI, and not help them out if it gets rough). I've also heard that the students aren't all that prepared for fieldwork...but like I said, that was a while ago, and it may have changed recently. I don't want to trash their program because they might have changed around the faculty since then. It seems to be getting more popular recently, which could mean good things!

If you did not "get in" to NOVA's OT program consider it a blessing. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT NOVA. I WAS A STUDENT IN THE MOT PROGRAM...I WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH!!!!

Volunteer/observation in 4 different environments including elementary school OT, hand therapy, acute hospital setting, and an adults with developmental disabilities residential community (I think something like 300 hours total, but only about 180 when I applied)

I wanted to chime in mostly because in thread after thread I see people comparing stats, but I think it's important to know that the application process is so much more than stats; I know people who had a much higher GPA than mine that were outright rejected from both USA and UF. Your essay, experiences, references, and interview (if they do them), are equally important if not more. If it were strictly by the numbers I wouldn't have a chance to get in anywhere because of my low cumulative GPA. Find OTs and professors that are EXCITED to recommend you. Have them proof read your essay. Obviously my other stats do compensate somewhat.

Totally agree with scuba! - don't just go by stats or school ranking; take the time to do the research and find schools where your package of skills, knowledge, and experience fits. Perhaps there are local schools that are sometimes overlooked nationally, or new programs becoming accredited that most people don't know about. If you are a non-trad/non-4.0 student, then craft your application to highlight your best attributes. Tune your essay to make it stand out - show them why you are uniquely qualified for their school and what you could bring to your cohort and the school, get some observation experiences that are a little out of the norm, and if you had a low college GPA, go above the number of required pre-reqs to show you are serious about grad school and OT. Also (and this was a bit hard for me at first) on your observations and in classes, maybe go out of your comfort zone and really engage and establish a relationship with OT's and professors, so when it is time for the letter of recommendation, they have solid observations and anecdotal evidence of yourself. Like scuba said, once these folks get a good sense of who you are and how much you want to be an OT, it will be easy for them to write an enthusiastic letter on your behalf.
I bombed out applying last year because I was a little too intimidated by the whole thing and didn't do my homework on the application process. But if you take time to get your ducks in a row, you might just surprise yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Alright, I'm gonna call it a cycle and work on strengthening my application for next year.

University: Stony Brook
Major: Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.31 (OTCAS)
Pre-Requisites GPA: Between 3.4-3.7 depending on the program
GRE: 149 Q, 158 V, 3.5 Writing

Shadowing: 20 hours NICU/PICU OT shadowing, 80+ hours Special Ed. OT shadowing.

Related Experience and Work: Babysitting a child with XYY syndrome, teaching swimming lessons to a child with autism, 9 years as a Ski Instructor, 2 years as a Lifeguard

Extracurriculars: Community service with sorority, a club sport, English Pal mentorship program, Out of Area Student Mentor, Emerging Leaders Participant, various awards.

I applied really late this cycle, late December and didn't finish a number of my applications:
Applied: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, Temple, Thomas Jefferson U, NOVA MOT, UF
Interviews: Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, Temple, NOVA
Waitlisted: Sacred Heart, Temple (Denied 4/10), NOVA (denied 4/23)
Denied: TJU, UF
And I never heard back from Stony Brook.

Plans for the next cycle:
Double majoring in Health Science (complete in Spring '17)
Retaking Intro Psych to raise grade from a B to an A
GRE tutor to raise writing score and Qualitative Score
More observation hours over the summer/school year
Apply early.
Work on Interview skills

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Last 60 credits: 4.0
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Inpatient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Hippotherapy and OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, with breaks of writing while on the horse, fine motor activities while ridding the horse, and self-care activities either before or after hippotherapy)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired.

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Last 60 credits: 4.0
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired.

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

Have you considered doing in-patient observation hours or like a skilled nursing facility? I've come to learn that it's not necessarily about how many hours you have---but more so about being exposed to different settings across the lifespan. I'm assuming you want to work in peds:) but from an admissions stand point, I think it should be something to consider because occupation looks different for children and adults/older population and you are going to want to be able to articulate your understanding in an interview. Are you taking the GRE? Some programs require them, some don't. Some schools only want you to meet a minimum score while others will use it to weed people out. Have you considered where you are applying to? I think that's the biggest factor because every school is different regarding how they go about the admissions process and how competitive admissions is. Is PGPA your prerequisite GPA? I have found that a lot of programs highly emphasize prerequisite GPA over cumulative GPA, so if there's anything you can retake and get an 'A' in it--- I would. Some programs will take the higher grade. Others will average the two scores. So again, it really depends on the program. Maybe you should consider looking up the admissions stats for programs you are interested in. I have found these on the OTCAS or simply by e-mailing the schools. It really provides a snapshot of where you fall in the mix. Although, some programs don't keep stats. I hope that helps.

Have you considered doing in-patient observation hours or like a skilled nursing facility? I've come to learn that it's not necessarily about how many hours you have---but more so about being exposed to different settings across the lifespan. I'm assuming you want to work in peds:) but from an admissions stand point, I think it should be something to consider because occupation looks different for children and adults/older population and you are going to want to be able to articulate your understanding in an interview. Are you taking the GRE? Some programs require them, some don't. Some schools only want you to meet a minimum score while others will use it to weed people out. Have you considered where you are applying to? I think that's the biggest factor because every school is different regarding how they go about the admissions process and how competitive admissions is. Is PGPA your prerequisite GPA? I have found that a lot of programs highly emphasize prerequisite GPA over cumulative GPA, so if there's anything you can retake and get an 'A' in it--- I would. Some programs will take the higher grade. Others will average the two scores. So again, it really depends on the program. Maybe you should consider looking up the admissions stats for programs you are interested in. I have found these on the OTCAS or simply by e-mailing the schools. It really provides a snapshot of where you fall in the mix. Although, some programs don't keep stats. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I had already done a lot of those things over the past 2 years preparing to apply.

I did inpatient rehab a little bit in my volunteer hours along with hand therapy and I just turned in a volunteer application for another inpatient site.

No GRE for me. I'm not great on those standardized tests. So I am only applying to those that don't require it.

My top school is West Coast University in LA. But I have made a spreadsheet of the requirements and stats for almost every accredited university based on the AOTA website so I get the gist of their programs.

I was just curious, with how competitive it is if I am up to par with those applying and what I can do to enhance my application.

University:Stephen F. Austin
Major: Psychology, minor in human services (counseling courses)
Overall GPA:3.34
Pre-Req GPA:3.88
Last 45 Hours Gpa: 3.76
GRE: 294 (Combined Score) & 4 (AWA)
OBS Hours: roughly 120 Currently, expecting 180. (3 different settings: 2 pediatric & hand therapy)

Applying to University of St. Augustine this November!

As soon as I hear back from the admissions committee, I will let you all know if I get an interview and offered acceptance!

I would like some feedback on my stats / any tips on increasing my chances of getting accepted! Thank you in advance!

Thanks for the advice. I had already done a lot of those things over the past 2 years preparing to apply.

I did inpatient rehab a little bit in my volunteer hours along with hand therapy and I just turned in a volunteer application for another inpatient site.

No GRE for me. I'm not great on those standardized tests. So I am only applying to those that don't require it.

My top school is West Coast University in LA. But I have made a spreadsheet of the requirements and stats for almost every accredited university based on the AOTA website so I get the gist of their programs.

I was just curious, with how competitive it is if I am up to par with those applying and what I can do to enhance my application.
I was wondering.... Is there any way you could email me your spreadsheet that you have created? I have done the same, but I have not completed it. I' only about halfway through. If not, I totally understand!!!!

When did you interview with USA and when did you get your acceptance? I interviewed with them in early March for the fall program and have heard nothing yet.
Hi! Congrats on getting the interview, I am also applying there! How did it go? :)

Last edited:
How are these stats for schools in CA? : stanbridge, west coast, and usc? I'm thinking of retaking my grea again

CGPA: 3.4
PGPA: 3.5-3.6
last 60: 3.5

GRE: V:148 Q:145 A: 3.5

-140 hours of observations (special needs school, private pediatric practice, nursing home/rehab center)
-2 years (2,000 + hours) of working at a special needs school. Assistant teacher/1:1 aide

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone applied to Allen college for fall 2017? Or if anyone has heard anything about the program?
Thanks

I'm wait listed at a school called West Coast University in LA. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how long the waitlist is when they applied. Or just in general how long waitlists can be.. I'm guessing at least as big as the cohort size.. so 28 people in the cohort and 28 people waitlisted... but I don't know. I'm 9th on the wait list at West Coast and I wanted to know what are my chances of actually getting accepted (0f course no one knows for sure and each time it can be completely different). I feel like only 5 or so people will probably defer or decide to go to a different school.. I'm not planning on leaving the wait list, but I want to keep it real, once you get in somewhere people don't want to give up their spot just because it's so hard to get into an OT program in general.

I'm wait listed at a school called West Coast University in LA. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how long the waitlist is when they applied. Or just in general how long waitlists can be.. I'm guessing at least as big as the cohort size.. so 28 people in the cohort and 28 people waitlisted... but I don't know. I'm 9th on the wait list at West Coast and I wanted to know what are my chances of actually getting accepted (0f course no one knows for sure and each time it can be completely different). I feel like only 5 or so people will probably defer or decide to go to a different school.. I'm not planning on leaving the wait list, but I want to keep it real, once you get in somewhere people don't want to give up their spot just because it's so hard to get into an OT program in general.
I know someone who was on the waitlist last year (I think 6th?) and got in! There are a lot of desirable programs in southern california, so there's definitely a chance that some of those will get in elsewhere, and you'll be moved up.
Did you apply to CSUDH? :)

Hey Julia! I am applying to Misericordia. Do you by any chance know if they accept Physics and Physics Lab online? And congrats on your acceptances!
Hi! I have an interview with Misericordia. I was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about the interview? How it is set up? Questions? Any advice is appreciated!

Hey there, do you still have that spreadsheet ? I was wanting to make something similar

Major: Human Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155Q 151V 4.0 writing

Shadowing hours: 100 total hours in inpatient rehabilitation hospitals (both adult and pediatric), outpatient rehab clinics, and a hand therapy clinic

Applied: UAB, MUSC, and USA

Acceptances: UAB, MUSC (I was accepted off of the waitlist)

Interviews:
UAB, USA (declined interview)

Good luck everyone!!!

Hi! Although I know your post is from last year... I was wondering if you know how many students are put on the waitlist for MUSC and how many they accepted off the waitlist from 2016. I was recently put on the waitlist and am very curious because they can't tell us our ranking on the list. Any information is appreciated!

If you did not "get in" to NOVA's OT program consider it a blessing. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE TRUTH ABOUT NOVA. I WAS A STUDENT IN THE MOT PROGRAM...I WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH!!!!
Why do you say this?

Last edited:
Update:

Major:
Psychology

Good luck to everyone!!
congrats! where did you decide!!

I have an interview with the Creighton university. How and what do they ask in that can u please give me an idea?