2015-2016 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there! Did you also receive an email? I'm at work and also in the NY area so I'm hoping that even though my inbox is frustratingly empty there is still the possibility that a letter might be waiting for me when I get home...

Yes but oddly the letter came one day before the email

Members don't see this ad.

So disappointed that I haven't heard anything yet from the WL! Congrats to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
The AHA website usually says the name of the company that's conducting the class. You could try calling the company to confirm the class.

Has anyone taken the BLS for Healthcare providers course yet? Any tips on how to sign up for a class? When I go on the AHA website, the classes I find are BLS for Healthcare Providers skills session which I am not sure is the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it weird that I still haven't heard anything from my interview in March? Still not a peep about AL or rejection or anything..
EDIT: and at what point should I just decide to call them?

Is it weird that I still haven't heard anything from my interview in March? Still not a peep about AL or rejection or anything..
EDIT: and at what point should I just decide to call them?

It is a bit weird, but not completely surprising because there have been applicants that did not hear back from them for 2-3 months. On interview day, they told me I would hear back 4-6 weeks. I didn't believe that turnaround time and expected 8-10 weeks, but I heard back probably on my 13th week? You can give them a call and check up on your status, but my guess is they would give you some generic timeline answer.

It is a bit weird, but not completely surprising because there have been applicants that did not hear back from them for 2-3 months. On interview day, they told me I would hear back 4-6 weeks. I didn't believe that turnaround time and expected 8-10 weeks, but I heard back probably on my 13th week? You can give them a call and check up on your status, but my guess is they would give you some generic timeline answer.
Oh okay if it's taken this long for other people than that's a different story. I thought maybe I was the only one sitting here waiting over 2 months to hear anything. Thanks!

That's kinda messed up seeing as my parents have been paying NYS taxes for years and I've lived in NYS all my life but okay :(
If you're already a NYS resident, you can get in-state tuition starting your first year - that's just for OOS-ers like myself. If you've already got a NY address where you've been for a year or more, you're set. They can ask for proof, but I don't think they do for the majority of people (and you don't need as stringent proof as you do if you're changing state residency).

If you're already a NYS resident, you can get in-state tuition starting your first year - that's just for OOS-ers like myself. If you've already got a NY address where you've been for a year or more, you're set. They can ask for proof, but I don't think they do for the majority of people (and you don't need as stringent proof as you do if you're changing state residency).
If your NYS high school diploma is older than 5 yrs, you need to do all the same proof as OOS students. If I took my gaps years outside of NY I would have lost my instate tuition.

I had to get my parent's house deed notarized, a letter saying that I lived there, and then all other bills notarized, haha. It's a little crazy, but worth it for the savings

Are we supposed to send a check for $100 for the deposit along with the acceptance reply form? Or is there an option to pay that online?

Are we supposed to send a check for $100 for the deposit along with the acceptance reply form? Or is there an option to pay that online?
http://sls.downstate.edu/bursar/forms.html

You can fill out the "other payment option form" sheet. Put "Acceptance deposit" for option 3. Then you can email the pdf to the bursars

You can also email the acceptance response form.

There is this cool app called Snap2pdf that converts the pictures you take to pdf so that you email them- it's a great app to have

If I'm already a certified and practicing EMT-B, do I really have to do the BLS course? Has anyone asked about this yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did people accepted off the waitlist get a login for MyDownstate/how do we check our financial aid and accept our loan offers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys. Holy cow. I interviewed all of the way back in September and just got accepted off the alternate list today. Still in shock. Definitely attending, so excited! Those still waiting, don't lose hope!!!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 6 users
Guys. Holy cow. I interviewed all of the way back in September and just got accepted off the alternate list today. Still in shock. Definitely attending, so excited! Those still waiting, don't lose hope!!!!!:soexcited:
Congrats! Not holding my breath personally, but good for you!

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Did people accepted off the waitlist get a login for MyDownstate/how do we check our financial aid and accept our loan offers?
I received my loan offer through snail-mail, the way I accept is fax/hand back the form.

Big congrats! Did they call you?

Reactions: 1 users
What a teaser email. Received Part 1&2 admissions checklist email today, about one month after alt list email.

What a teaser email. Received Part 1&2 admissions checklist email today, about one month after alt list email.
I got this too, which confused me, because I already had a link to it? What am I missing here?

+1.

I already pretty much gave up on this cycle, however, so this is exactly what I expected to receive upon opening this email =P

Same here... I sent an update a couple of days ago to medadmissions and this teaser email thanked me for it, so I thought they don't even consider updates anymore. For people who sent updates, did you receive confirmation?

Same here... I sent an update a couple of days ago to medadmissions and this teaser email thanked me for it, so I thought they don't even consider updates anymore. For people who sent updates, did you receive confirmation?
I sent an update on Friday last week, and I received an confirmation email on Tuesday pretty much at 10 AM.

They were pretty speedy, so I wouldn't expect too much of a wait. It depends on the email address you sent it to and the subject line that you included.

Also, I accidentally referred to it as the SCHOOL of medicine in my update letter instead of College -_- I'm screwed.

Also, I accidentally referred to it as the SCHOOL of medicine in my update letter instead of College -_- I'm screwed.

Nah you're fine! Technically a college is a school lol... But all joking aside, I've been told adcoms aren't TOO hardcore about the nitty gritty details/grammar mistakes unless you are writing incomplete sentences or maybe wrote Upstate instead of Downstate :banana:. It has happened before when applicants sent updates to the wrong school so don't sweat it.

That email built my hopes up so high and then crushed them instantly once I realized what it was.

Wait! Are you talking about the email about the checklist and the separate emails with the password and user name. I ask because I was recently accepted but the password and user name don't work :oops: Then again, I did JUST put the acceptance form in the email today, so maybe they are waiting for that? I was confused that I got the emails this morning anyway but I guess they sent them to everyone?

Question: For those of you accepted, how did you pay the $100? I thought it had to be through the checklist

Are you guys sure that this doesn't mean an acceptance is imminent? Previously emails were received mentioning the same checklist with alternate admissions checklist in the subject line. This one did not include the alternate designation.

Are you guys sure that this doesn't mean an acceptance is imminent? Previously emails were received mentioning the same checklist with alternate admissions checklist in the subject line. This one did not include the alternate designation.
haha i doubt it. checklist is checklist, and everyone on the alt list seems to have received it.

I got the checklist username and password emails today as well and I am already accepted. They also sent out a long email about orientation/pre-matriculation requirements/facebook invite to accepted students this morning. I wouldn't read too much into it

@CoolBlueDrDrew I posted the link to the payment stuff on Monday. Too lazy to copy/paste it again

Does anyone know if previously in the "alternate admissions checklist" there was a line that said admissions response form? I don't recall ever seeing this line previously..

Does anyone know if previously in the "alternate admissions checklist" there was a line that said admissions response form? I don't recall ever seeing this line previously..

Yes, the line was there

Do you guys think that, for those of us on the alternate list, any medical history on the health forms we submit could possibly be used against us in terms of admissions?

Do you guys think that, for those of us on the alternate list, any medical history on the health forms we submit could possibly be used against us in terms of admissions?

That's straight up illegal

What the guy above said and you also don't need to disclose anything you dont want to disclose

Does completing our checklist earlier increase our chances of getting off the alternate list?

Is the admissions checklist login working for all y'all? My won't log on.

Edit: Nevermind. Works on my phone but not my computer

Last edited:
Woo, accepted off alt list via email yesterday! Keep up hope guys!

Reactions: 6 users
Tried to withdraw from the alternate list and got this email in response:

"Thank you for your continued interest in attending SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. This message is being sent to confirm that that we have received your alternate list response form for continuing consideration to our 2016 entering class!

Our alternate list is kept active until the first official day of classes in August. We may contact you at any time if your status changes. In the meantime, though, if you decide on other options for medical school, please send us an email immediately, advising us of your decision."

Well. I tried. Good luck to all of you!

Tried to withdraw from the alternate list and got this email in response:

"Thank you for your continued interest in attending SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. This message is being sent to confirm that that we have received your alternate list response form for continuing consideration to our 2016 entering class!

Our alternate list is kept active until the first official day of classes in August. We may contact you at any time if your status changes. In the meantime, though, if you decide on other options for medical school, please send us an email immediately, advising us of your decision."

Well. I tried. Good luck to all of you!

Bahaha! Good luck #bananaboat