2015-2016 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone from the alternate list back in march still not receive a username/pw to check the online checklist?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed mid march. My feelings are like @Thatsnotmyname. Since I haven't received the packet in the mail, I'm afraid it was a mistake too so was wondering about how long it took others to receive the packet after getting the email?
Seems that those that got accepted received their packages a few days after receiving the preliminary email.

Congratulations to those accepted recently. I presume all of you are planning to attend SUNY?

I interviewed mid march. My feelings are like @Thatsnotmyname. Since I haven't received the packet in the mail, I'm afraid it was a mistake too so was wondering about how long it took others to receive the packet after getting the email?
I also was terrified mine was a mistake! I got my packet about 4 days after the initial email- I also called the admissions office to double check though since I couldn't pay my deposit online. They were happy to confirm in the computer that I was accepted and it sounded like I wasn't the only one they spoke to that day about wanting confirmation lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I also was terrified mine was a mistake! I got my packet about 4 days after the initial email- I also called the admissions office to double check though since I couldn't pay my deposit online. They were happy to confirm in the computer that I was accepted and it sounded like I wasn't the only one they spoke to that day about wanting confirmation lol

Thank you for replying! What did they tell you about how to pay your deposit?

They directed me to the bursar website to pay and talked me through the process. I would give admissions a call, they're super helpful!

Great, I will definitely be giving admissions a call. Did you accept via the pdf reply form that was attached to the preliminary email or did you wait til the packet came to accept via the form in the packet? Sorry for all the questions, the wording in the email is a bit confusing to me!

Great, I will definitely be giving admissions a call. Did you accept via the pdf reply form that was attached to the preliminary email or did you wait til the packet came to accept via the form in the packet? Sorry for all the questions, the wording in the email is a bit confusing to me!
No worries I get it!! I sent the PDF the day after I got the email, way too anxious to wait for the packet to reply. It was taking them a while to respond that they received my form which was another reason why I called. I was terrified to withdraw from my other school until downstate swore this was real and I was going there :)

For all that got accepted recently, congratulations!! Quick story time as I procrastinate...

Last year I was accepted by phone call and couldn't believe it. I didn't receive an email for a day or two and freaked out thinking it was a mistake or I misheard or imagined it and I was afraid to withdraw from the school I was initially going to. I called the office and they explained that with commencement happening this week everyone who sends out these emails/letters was incredibly busy and would be getting around to it. For all of you worried this was a mistake, I would bet money it's the same case!

Now take the next month or two to hang out and enjoy yourself! Ok back to studying.

What is this BLS thing we have to do? Do we just sign up on the AHA website for the BLS- Instructor Led Training which takes 4 hours to complete?

Is this a specific requirement only for Downstate or for all Medical Schools?

They directed me to the bursar website to pay and talked me through the process. I would give admissions a call, they're super helpful!
Were you ever able to pay the deposit? I was directed to the bursar's website, but cant find the link

Wait, got to the site, but I don't have the deposit option available

Got my packet today! It came by ups. I live maybe an hour- 1.5 hr drive from Downstate

Were you ever able to pay the deposit? I was directed to the bursar's website, but cant find the link

Wait, got to the site, but I don't have the deposit option available
Theres a payment form that you fill out online, its a pdf. you write that the payment is for other-med school admissions fee. save the form and email to bursar and they send a confirmation same day (at least they did for me)

anyone from May alternate list here back anything ? like acceptances?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone from May alternate list here back anything ? like acceptances?

Beat me to it! After reading through previous posts, it seems like 4/15 is the magical date :=|:-):. All of the people that were accepted off alt list and shared info so far, were placed on the alternate list at that specific date. Of course there might be other acceptances for people placed on alt list during other April dates, but would anyone like to verify this?

Not that knowing this information will change the result of adcom and may add more stress, but I guess it's a feeble attempt by my subconsciousness to find light at the end of the tunnel ;). However for those of us still waiting on an acceptance, it's undeniable that this wait is slowly eating away at us bit by bit :(... On the other hand, as stated by the current Downstate students on this thread, they were accepted late May and June so not all hope is lost!

This constant back and forth mindset struggle is driving me crazy :bang:!

Beat me to it! After reading through previous posts, it seems like 4/15 is the magical date :=|:-):. All of the people that were accepted off alt list and shared info so far, were placed on the alternate list at that specific date. Of course there might be other acceptances for people placed on alt list during other April dates, but would anyone like to verify this?

Not that knowing this information will change the result of adcom and may add more stress, but I guess it's a feeble attempt by my subconsciousness to find light at the end of the tunnel ;). However for those of us still waiting on an acceptance, it's undeniable that this wait is slowly eating away at us bit by bit :(... On the other hand, as stated by the current Downstate students on this thread, they were accepted late May and June so not all hope is lost!

Haha you're right!! I was accepted off the alt list a few weeks ago. I saw your post, went back to check when they placed me on the list and bam, April 15th o.o

Haha you're right!! I was accepted off the alt list a few weeks ago. I saw your post, went back to check when they placed me on the list and bam, April 15th o.o

Do you guys actually think that being on the April 15th list has anything to do with your chances of getting accepted. I was placed on the alternate list on April 15th but have yet to get any good news. It may just be a coincidence.

Do you guys actually think that being on the April 15th list has anything to do with your chances of getting accepted. I was placed on the alternate list on April 15th but have yet to get any good news. It may just be a coincidence.

It could very well be just a coincidence since it's just an observation based on the small group of people that post on SDN. If the 4/15 trend is true then maybe you're next in line ;)! Either way it doesn't change the outcome, but it would be a useful way to gauge the chances of acceptance and plan for the summer/gap year.

It could very well be just a coincidence since it's just an observation based on the small group of people that post on SDN. If the 4/15 trend is true then maybe you're next in line ;)! Either way it doesn't change the outcome, but it would be a useful way to gauge the chances of acceptance and plan for the summer/gap year.
Hey what do you mean that it would be a useful way to gauge the chances of acceptance?

Hey what do you mean that it would be a useful way to gauge the chances of acceptance?

Just saying that IF they are accepting people based on when they were placed on alt list, it would be equivalent to knowing your position on a ranked WL.

I think we're reading too much into this and should focus full speed ahead on bolstering our applications for our next go.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what health forms they're referring to as one of the acceptance requirements? I can't find any additional information about this and there wasn't anything attached to the email

I was placed on alt list April 28th and got accepted a few weeks ago

When is the latest one a) can technically and b) will realistically get accepted off the Alternate List?

can any current students please comment on dress code for preclinical years? should we stock up on business casual wear, is casual clothing acceptable for most days, etc.? wanted to start thinking ahead for wardrobe necessities haha!

When is the latest one a) can technically and b) will realistically get accepted off the Alternate List?
You can "technically" get accepted off the waitlist right around orientation or even after (Orientarion is August 1st). A good friend of mine got off July 22nd last year.
Juding from last year, the biggest movement days were begining of May, and some more mid-late May. Update the admissions committee whenever your application is worth updating.
can any current students please comment on dress code for preclinical years? should we stock up on business casual wear, is casual clothing acceptable for most days, etc.? wanted to start thinking ahead for wardrobe necessities haha!
I'm so addicted to sweatpants but I will try my hardest not to wear them to the preclinical years. I don't know if I can do it:(

Hey everyone on the alt list,

I just got an email saying that I was withdrawn from the alt list for not sending in the response form even though I sent it in 2 weeks ago and got the confirmation email. I called them and they said they can try to reverse the decision. I'd recommend all you guys make sure they received your response form! (I don't mean to scare anyone)

You can wear absolutely anything for preclinical years as long as you're not literally naked.

You'll have some sessions where you see real and standardized patients, so you need to wear work-appropriate clothes for that, but honestly if you have 1 decent outfit you can just wear that repeatedly and be fine. Apart from that, wear whatever you want - I wore jeans virtually every day.

Reactions: 2 users

Technically up until The first day of class. Realistically, you can see movement whenever. Try to stay sane, and don't try to figure out how the school does anything haha.

You're gonna need business casual for preceptorship and random patient encounters. But most of the time you can wear anything. I wear business casual probably only about once or twice a week. As exam stress hits and the weather heats up its shorts and tank tops every day haha

Did anyone receive the scholarship for disadvantaged students? If yes, can you please PM me?

giphy.gif

Downstate plssss. I want in from the cold alt list!

Reactions: 3 users
I withdrew and received a confirmation email yesterday. Good luck to those of you still waiting for a spot.

It looks like they finally posted the Facebook page. Time to meet some of you folks... That is the first time I've ever used the word folks in my life
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1147508795274842/

Lol they literally set up the Facebook page like 3 years in advance then give orientation coordinators the names of future students and they add each of you individually in June/July. You're never going to actually use this page though, it'll just be where you get "official" news...you'll be using the unofficial one more as that one isn't monitored by staff of the school

Accepted this morning by email! Interviewed in December, HFS January, alt list 4/15.

II 2/17, Alt. listed 5/18, Accepted 5/24 by fed-ex letter requiring a signature!

Accepted off the alternate list! Just got an email saying the packet is on the way!
IA 09/22
HFS 11/2
WL 4/15
A 5/25/16

I sent a short letter of interest last Thursday (5/19), if you're on the alternate list and this is your number one school that you would definitely attend if accepted you might want to send a short letter too!

Can someone tell me the latest I should sign a lease on an apartment if I want to become a NY resident to get in state tuition starting second year? Thanks!

Accepted off the alternate list! Just got an email saying the packet is on the way!
IA 09/22
HFS 11/2
WL 4/15
A 5/25/16

I sent a short letter of interest last Thursday (5/19), if you're on the alternate list and this is your number one school that you would definitely attend if accepted you might want to send a short letter too!

Can someone tell me the latest I should sign a lease on an apartment if I want to become a NY resident to get in state tuition starting second year? Thanks!
From a little further up:
Yep, that's what I did - changed my license/registration when I moved here, got my name on the lease, kept receipts from the gas bill, showed all that to them roughly in June after MS1, got in-state tuition for MS2+.

Cool, thanks! I should read through the whole thread, it's been a while.

IA 09/22
HFS 11/2
WL 4/15
A 5/25/16

I was actually thinking about drafting a LOI - did you email it to the medadmissions email? Or did you submit some other way?

I was actually thinking about drafting a LOI - did you email it to the medadmissions email? Or did you submit some other way?
Yep just the medadmissions email, sent it Thursday then had the generic "we've received it and it will be added to your file" response the next day.

Yep just the medadmissions email, sent it Thursday then had the generic "we've received it and it will be added to your file" response the next day.
Thanks a million (and congrats to you, friend)!

Has anyone taken the BLS for Healthcare providers course yet? Any tips on how to sign up for a class? When I go on the AHA website, the classes I find are BLS for Healthcare Providers skills session which I am not sure is the same thing.

II 2/17, Alt. listed 5/18, Accepted 5/24 by fed-ex letter requiring a signature!

Hi there! Did you also receive an email? I'm at work and also in the NY area so I'm hoping that even though my inbox is frustratingly empty there is still the possibility that a letter might be waiting for me when I get home...

Thank you for replying! What did they tell you about how to pay your deposit?
Have you received a confirmation after submitting the acceptance response sheet? I let go of my other acceptance already, so I'm a little nervous that there has been no confirmation and the acceptance response sheet hasn't been checked off on my checklist...

As for the BLS, my sis is an EMT and I'm having her set it up for me (and it'll be free). If you know any EMTs, they would be a good place to start