2015-2016 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I'm like 95% sure they will not tell you your waitlist ranking. Idk what you saw in last year's thread, and I guess it's possible it was different lasts year, but I am very much under the impression that we do not get to know where we stand in the wait list.

I called week ago and they said they are not allowed to disclose any information with regards to the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrew! Hopefully it goes to one of you lovely people! Enjoy, Tulane is awesome (so sad hey didn't give me financial aid)

Reactions: 3 users
Have you guys all received your financial aid already? I haven't heard anything, either by email or mail. I tried logging on to the portal to see whether anything is visible there, but after putting in my username and password it just takes me back to the home page without ever logging me in. Not sure what to think.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you guys all received your financial aid already? I haven't heard anything, either by email or mail. I tried logging on to the portal to see whether anything is visible there, but after putting in my username and password it just takes me back to the home page without ever logging me in. Not sure what to think.

Yeah I got mine about two weeks ago. You need to call someone in the admissions office, same thing was happening to me, and I ended up getting bounced around before finally ending up talking to someone who could fix it, looking back through my phone it should be this number (504) 988-5187 (I've got 4 different numbers in a row but that's the last one I called).

And I was told that they can't give you your financial aid until you log in and submit your social to in the portal. Then they can pull your fafsa and send you your award (spoiler alert: it's loans... loans as far as the eye can see)

Reactions: 1 user
Will someone who is pursuing or has completed the MD/MPH please speak to the value? It's a significant extra cost, so I would like to understand the true value more before taking on the extra loans. I studied public health in undergrad, so it's definitely important to me. Is it worth the extra $$$? Does it significantly impact research, job outlook & opportunities? All thoughts/advice welcome :)

From my perspective, it's worth the money if you plan on actually using that degree. Keep in mind that you don't have to have an MPH degree to do global health, or community service. There are also residency programs that offer an MPH degree/certificate along with your residency training which is something you don't pay for (I believe). At Tulane, you can also be involved with public health department for community, clinical and even basic research if that's what you desire. That way, you're able to reinforce the skills acquired from your undergraduate courses.
Again, this is just my opinion. :) Best of luck !
Will someone who is pursuing or has completed the MD/MPH please speak to the value? It's a significant extra cost, so I would like to understand the true value more before taking on the extra loans. I studied public health in undergrad, so it's definitely important to me. Is it worth the extra $$$? Does it significantly impact research, job outlook & opportunities? All thoughts/advice welcome :)

Reactions: 1 users
From my perspective, it's worth the money if you plan on actually using that degree. Keep in mind that you don't have to have an MPH degree to do global health, or community service. There are also residency programs that offer an MPH degree/certificate along with your residency training which is something you don't pay for (I believe). At Tulane, you can also be involved with public health department for community, clinical and even basic research if that's what you desire. That way, you're able to reinforce the skills acquired from your undergraduate courses.
Again, this is just my opinion. :) Best of luck !
Backing up your post a bit. Even if you choose not to do an MPH during medical school or residency, many hospitals that are affiliated with medical schools offer discounted or free tuition to hospital employees as a part of their professional development program. I know several physicians who are HUGE players in global health that took MPH courses/received their MPH degree after becoming full time physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any experience with or input about the 4-year MD/MBA program? Got a call from someone within the program regarding my interest but I'd love to hear from someone who knows the program. It seems that there's a 25% fellowship available to all students but still not sure if the remaining cost is worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with or input about the 4-year MD/MBA program? Got a call from someone within the program regarding my interest but I'd love to hear from someone who knows the program. It seems that there's a 25% fellowship available to all students but still not sure if the remaining cost is worth it.
Are you on the facebook page? There was a guy who posted an apt there who is in the program. I would message him if you are interested.

How soon should we be hearing about waitlist movement? Last year's thread had most of it on may 4th. Is anything significantly different this year that I'm just missing?

How soon should we be hearing about waitlist movement? Last year's thread had most of it on may 4th. Is anything significantly different this year that I'm just missing?

The might not have any seats open yet. I think we just have to be patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean if yall really want to know you could probably call the office and see if they anticipate movement in the near future

Seems like the committee like to send out decisions on Mondays and Tuesday's based on this thread...they probably are meeting this week and hopefully will send out some news early next week.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
You make some good points. Thanks for that. I hadn't looked at traffic day being at a different time last year. I feel a little better now.

heard from my interviewer that there *might* be waitlist movement starting tomorrow! fingers crossed for everyone still waiting here!

heard from my interviewer that there *might* be waitlist movement starting tomorrow! fingers crossed for everyone still waiting here!

Movement confirmed! :)
I'm unbelievably grateful (but also just so emotionally worn out) after this >1 year long process...
I hope everyone hears back soon! when I interviewed I heard that Tulane has strong waitlist movement, and that several people get in into July. This might change slightly from year to year, but keep your head up!

I'm unbelievably grateful (but also just so emotionally worn out) after this >1 year long process...
I hope everyone hears back soon! when I interviewed I heard that Tulane has strong waitlist movement, and that several people get in into July. This might change slightly from year to year, but keep your head up!
Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users

When did you hear? Wonder if they'll send anymore out today...

at 10:00 AM this morning (9:00 AM New Orleans time). My interviewer has been a really great source of support--we had a great interview and I've been keeping in touch with her, asking about advice on what to do, etc., so if you think your interview went really well I'd suggest keeping in contact with them and even updating them. If you have someone on the ground who is rooting for you it's pretty unbeatable.

Do any accepted students know when we can expect academic calendars and whatever pre-enrollment paperwork we're supposed to finish? I just had a minor panic attack that I may have missed something from Tulane since I haven't heard anything in so long (or after April 30). I'm sure I'm just being a neurotic premed but just wanted to double check.

Does anyone know about transportation to the school, if youre living uptown in the vicinity of the undergrad campus is there a school shuttle you can take? how expensive is parking on your own at the medschool? passes? Thanks!

Some people that live Uptown use the shuttle. There are also surface lots across the street from the downtown campus for $45/month. I think $85/month refers to the parking structure attached to the main med school building, which a fair amount of people use.

There's also free parking on some of the side streets and more a few blocks away, but I wouldn't recommend parking there. It's a little sketchy at night in that direction.

Nothing here...and no mention of movement on the wait list threads either

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's still early! I'm sure we'll see some movement eventually!

And on that note, just submitted another letter of interest

Question: Tulane is in my top 2 choices. Can I still write a letter of interest? I don't want to commit to them in case my instate school takes me off their wait list, but I would love to go to Tulane otherwise.

Question: Tulane is in my top 2 choices. Can I still write a letter of interest? I don't want to commit to them in case my instate school takes me off their wait list, but I would love to go to Tulane otherwise.

Letters of Intent are commitments. Letters of Interest just show enthusiasm for the school. From what I've read, you're fine as long as you do not explicitly state you will go there.

Letters of Intent are commitments. Letters of Interest just show enthusiasm for the school. From what I've read, you're fine as long as you do not explicitly state you will go there.

Exactly. And if you're a good writer, and careful with your words, you can make it very close to a letter of intent without it actually being one.

Exactly. And if you're a good writer, and careful with your words, you can make it very close to a letter of intent without it actually being one.

Just remember to use a lot triple negatives, so they can't see through your machination.

Also, I've sent two letters of interest and so far haven't really gotten the impression anyone has actually read them, so fair warning. Fingers crossed someone did/will read them though!

OK at least it's not just me
Also, I've sent two letters of interest and so far haven't really gotten the impression anyone has actually read them, so fair warning. Fingers crossed someone did/will read them though!
Yea though I think that's generally how it goes. Are you sending them directly to someone or through the secondary portal?

OK at least it's not just me

Yea though I think that's generally how it goes. Are you sending them directly to someone or through the secondary portal?

I sent them to dr beckman( she was also my interviewer) and I uploaded them to my portal

I sent them to dr beckman( she was also my interviewer) and I uploaded them to my portal
So she hasn't responded? Also, I've been wondering for like a week - are you a bartender, or was it just a fun name? Sorry for derailing the thread temporarily but I have to ask

So she hasn't responded? Also, I've been wondering for like a week - are you a bartender, or was it just a fun name? Sorry for derailing the thread temporarily but I have to ask

Hahaha I have never been a bartender, so just a fun name

Also, I did make the mistake of sending her the first letter like 2 days before Mardi Gras so hopefully she'll be more likely to read the one I sent yesterday

Last edited:
Hahaha I have never been a bartender, so just a fun name

Also, I did make the mistake of sending her the first letter like 2 days before Mardi Gras so hopefully she'll be more likely to read the one I sent yesterday

I think we're just supposed to upload them to the portals, not email to the Dean. Doctors I know receive ~100 emails/day, and it might be even more for a Dean. So we're probably pretty low priority when it comes to responding.

Saw one lucky soul got accepted off the wait-list; curious if there have been any others?

I think we're just supposed to upload them to the portals, not email to the Dean. Doctors I know receive ~100 emails/day, and it might be even more for a Dean. So we're probably pretty low priority when it comes to responding.

Yeah I keep getting conflicting advice on what to do with the letters so I uploaded them to the portal and emailed them to her just to be safe

Saw one lucky soul got accepted off the wait-list; curious if there have been any others?
Beyond the one person, I haven't seen anything. Which is frustrating.

Yeah I keep getting conflicting advice on what to do with the letters so I uploaded them to the portal and emailed them to her just to be safe
That sounds pretty reasonable. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. Even if it's just an email that basically says "K. Got it" that would calm the nerves. Am I right?

Beyond the one person, I haven't seen anything. Which is frustrating.

That sounds pretty reasonable. Hopefully you'll hear back soon. Even if it's just an email that basically says "K. Got it" that would calm the nerves. Am I right?

Oh absolutely

Does anyone know if the deposit was refundable if we withdrew before April 30th? I didn't find any info on that

Does anyone know if the deposit was refundable if we withdrew before April 30th? I didn't find any info on that

I'm pretty sure all MD schools have to have their deposits be refundable prior to the multiple acceptances deadline

She responded to my email! I feel so much better now haha