2015-2016 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@pb34 , I really doubt it.

Anyway, I just submitted my app, and I could have sworn that it said it was $105 on the application, but when you go to pay, it says its $125! Man, that's 20 McChickens :( either way I'm really excited to have the chance to go here! It is probably my number one choice. Fingers crossed!

I feel you man, McChickens are like 1.50 where I'm at now too... the struggle is real.

About to submit my application... echoing the general consensus here, there's definitely something charming about this place. The admissions office was extremely prompt and helpful with a letter question I had... well before application season too!

I'm really crossing my fingers for an interview. Best of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Got my secondary today as well. The deluge continues...

"Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced failure or things didn’t go as you’d planned. How did this affect you?"

This would be a good place to discuss a bad semester?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced failure or things didn’t go as you’d planned. How did this affect you?"

This would be a good place to discuss a bad semester?
Probably not, but it depends. Its a prompt to gauge how you reflect on kinks in your plans or other stresses. If you find a bad semester is a good way to exemplify that, then yes, otherwise I would chose another experience.

How about mentioning that you're a reapplicant? Or should I probably avoid that one unless asked...

@CharlieKelly

How about mentioning that you're a reapplicant? Or should I probably avoid that one unless asked...

@CharlieKelly
That one's hard to say. If you are applying to UVM the first time around, I wouldn't mention it though. With that said, they seemed pretty friendly towards re-applicants. Met a couple on my interview day, both of whom had already interviewed at UVM the year before. Granted, I don't know how they fared, but it spoke to UVM's ability to look past previous "faults" as a black mark.

That's what I figured. This is my first time applying to UVM so I'll use a different experience. Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Under general information where it says "Do you identify as any of the following (optional)", is there supposed to be a list of options there? Mine just shows the question and then a check box...

Haha I just checked it. Yolo.

Reactions: 2 users
was there a place to upload a document for non vermont residents.. like one you had to sign.. I think I submitted my application without signing that..........

sorry I should clarify.. was there a residency form.. I might be thinking of another secondary....

OOS, just submitted my secondary! Hoping for some love. I'm sitting right around the average.

Just curious if everyone who has received a secondary from UVM has been verified by AMCAS? MSAR says they screen for secondaries, but UVM doesn't mention anything about screening on their website. Thanks!

I received a secondary and I am verified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also received a secondary (7/7), verified 6/17.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my secondary! Really excited about this school, but I have a serious question. I don't have that annoying non-science LOR. Can I submit now and then send them that letter as soon as I get it, probably in about a month? I really want to go here, it would be super lame if this one LOR were what blocked me :mad:

Just received my secondary! Really excited about this school, but I have a serious question. I don't have that annoying non-science LOR. Can I submit now and then send them that letter as soon as I get it, probably in about a month? I really want to go here, it would be super lame if this one LOR were what blocked me :mad:

Call and ask - UVM Admissions staff are very friendly & helpful

I emailed them earlier this year and was able to replace the non-science letter with a letter from a volunteer supervisor. I'd advise emailing them and they will put a note on your file!

I emailed them earlier this year and was able to replace the non-science letter with a letter from a volunteer supervisor. I'd advise emailing them and they will put a note on your file!

Thank you!

For this one:

Tell us about a time when you were at a crossroads and had to make an important choice. What do you think would have happened if you had made a different choice?

Would a modified "greatest challenge" essay work if a difficult decision was involved?

Just checked my portal this morning and saw this:

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. "

Not sure if this is good, bad, or indifferent.

You are fine, I had gotten the same thing, expect to receive a secondary invitation within a few days!

I already submitted the secondary. At this point I'm hoping for an II.

I already submitted the secondary. At this point I'm hoping for an II.

That's a good sign. It means you've been small pooled for an interview, congrats. However, not to raise hopes too high, alot of applicants who were small pooled last year did not receive interviews.

do people recommend using the additional information space to write in a little "why uvm" blurb or just leave it blank?

did anyone ever get an email or status update that their application was actually 'complete' after submitting the secondary?

did anyone ever get an email or status update that their application was actually 'complete' after submitting the secondary?

Nope! When I sign on to the portal it just says that my secondary has been received and that it may take 6-8 weeks for processing of materials to be completed.

Hey @CharlieKelly , you're awesome for being so active on this thread and giving us all advice. Just wanted to show my appreciation!

Reactions: 1 users
How many speeding tickets is too many for UVM? I think I have 3 in the past 5 years...:whistle:

Last edited:

Last year, they did not send updates for being marked complete or for being placed in the "small pool". You can check the online portal though. If offered an interview, you will receive an email!

This is confusing

Individual Letters - If your school does not offer either a committee letter or packet (see above) you must provide three letters of recommendation adhering to the following guidelines:

• Two letters must be from professors in the sciences with whom you have taken classes
  • One additional letter must be from a non-science professor with whom you have taken a class
You may submit up to three (3) letters of recommendation, in addition to the Individual Letter Requirement

Does this mean 6 total?

This is confusing

Individual Letters - If your school does not offer either a committee letter or packet (see above) you must provide three letters of recommendation adhering to the following guidelines:

• Two letters must be from professors in the sciences with whom you have taken classes
  • One additional letter must be from a non-science professor with whom you have taken a class
You may submit up to three (3) letters of recommendation, in addition to the Individual Letter Requirement

Does this mean 6 total?
Either provide a committee letter OR provide two science letters and on non-science letter.

This is confusing

Does this mean 6 total?

Yup, 6 total:

"You may submit additional letters of your choice. Please do not submit more than six (6) letters of recommendation." (https://www.uvm.edu/medicine/admissions/?Page=letters.html&SM=applysubmenu.html)

How many speeding tickets is too many for UVM? I think I have 3 in the past 5 years...:whistle:
But for real, what do you guys think about this? Like, will the only red flag you if you have 10+, or is around 3-4 a problem?

Right on brother! I'm pretty sure that I've had 3 in the past 5 years as well. Will it be a problem? I have no idea, just let you know that you have company. Good company? Probably not, but still company!
Thanks, good to know!:highfive:

But for real, what do you guys think about this? Like, will the only red flag you if you have 10+, or is around 3-4 a problem?
Well, shoot. Mine says I was going 59 in a 45mph zone but then he also put down that I was only going 49mph so I would only have to pay the 1-5mph over limit rate. I was going 59mph lol I like to go fast! But I wonder how they'll view this :eyebrow:

Just checked my portal this morning and saw this:

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months. "

Not sure if this is good, bad, or indifferent.

Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted the secondary?

Well, shoot. Mine says I was going 59 in a 45mph zone but then he also put down that I was only going 49mph so I would only have to pay the 1-5mph over limit rate. I was going 59mph lol I like to go fast! But I wonder how they'll view this :eyebrow:
I think you'll be okay with only one regardless, unless its like 25+ over

Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted the secondary?

Honestly I don't remember the exact date, it was the first day they came out.

What if you did get a speeding ticket within the past 5 years but couldn't remember the detail of it? Like how fast you were going in what speed limit zone. What should I put in the description? I just remember I going down the hill and the cop was hiding behind the tree towards the bottom of the hill. I think everyone was going over the speed limit. It just happened that I was the first car. I was also in a hurry to pick up my middle school aged sister since my dad notified me last minute that he couldn't make it.

I can't find this information anywhere but their prerequisites for Chemistry say at least one year of lab or one semester that is 2 credits. My institution only offered a 1 credit course but the lectures were 4 credits each? Anyone run into this?

I can't find this information anywhere but their prerequisites for Chemistry say at least one year of lab or one semester that is 2 credits. My institution only offered a 1 credit course but the lectures were 4 credits each? Anyone run into this?
Same here let me know if you find anything out and I'll do the same. I might call Monday.

The supplemental application only allows me to list four letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a non-science professor. I got this requirement waived, so I just entered "Exception granted" in that space. But I only three science letters and one volunteer letter. Should I just list my three science letters? How can I list all of these letters in this space?

I had a problem with this and they wouldn't budge. They said I can take a 1 credit lab in the spring if I get an interview in the fall, though.

Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced failure or things didn’t go as you’d planned. How did this affect you?

I am an applicant with a 2.7sgpa and a 35MCAT/4.0 SMP. I think this essay would be a good space to own up to my faults years ago (non trad) and display my determinedness. Just wondering if this essay is a good place to discuss reinvention

Reflect on a time in your life when you experienced failure or things didn’t go as you’d planned. How did this affect you?

I am an applicant with a 2.7sgpa and a 35MCAT/4.0 SMP. I think this essay would be a good space to own up to my faults years ago (non trad) and display my determinedness. Just wondering if this essay is a good place to discuss reinvention

That's what I did. I'm in a similar boat, so I took that space as owning up to my past failure in academics. It happened, I might as well get it out of the way.