2015 Community College/Advanced Placement and DS Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For 2015 a few schools have become more lenient on their stance on accepting CC/ AP credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2015 CC-AP and DS Admission 5-23-15.doc
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,610
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks again, Doc. If a school is not listed, does that mean they don't have a policy yet for AP? I have AP Lit and Lang (and Psych) so that might solve my English coursework dilemma for some schools. Hopefully by next year when I apply, more schools will just accept the AP for the English and Psych requirements.

Thank you!

I have a quick question: what defines a CC? I went to a college before transferring to a university but I don't think it's a community college. However I did receive my AA there. I know they also offer bachelor's degrees. Should I consider it as a CC?
Here's the website to the school if you needed a closer look: http://www.sfcollege.edu

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!

I have a quick question: what defines a CC? I went to a college before transferring to a university but I don't think it's a community college. However I did receive my AA there. I know they also offer bachelor's degrees. Should I consider it as a CC?
Here's the website to the school if you needed a closer look: http://www.sfcollege.edu

Thanks again!
Community College- a 2 year college offering an AA/AS degree
College-A 4 year college offering a bachelor degree usually in a single discipline- eg liberal arts/sciences
University-A 4 year+ institution offering a degree in 2 or more disciplines; college of education, college of pharmacy, college of fine arts, liberal arts college, college of engineering, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much! That just allowed me to apply for 3 more schools, day made :D

Crap... I can't apply to 3 schools I was really hoping on getting in...

Reactions: 1 user
For 2015 a few schools have become more lenient on their stance on accepting CC/ AP credits.
For OHIO you have listed not rec? What does that mean? I asked them and they said they do accept CC credits, but only a few.

For OHIO you have listed not rec? What does that mean? I asked them and they said they do accept CC credits, but only a few.
It means that some dss believe that courses taken at a CC are not at the same level as those taken at a university.

I'm applying this cycle. I APed out of Gen Chem and have only taken Physical Chemistry (pchem) lecture as far as inorganic chem goes. I want to apply to a few dental schools that don't accept AP for prereqs. I have already graduated, and I am currently working. If I put gen chem as a "planned course" for winter semester (January 2016), would it hinder my chance of being extended an interview? I scored 21 on GC, 22 TS, 3.3 GPA.

*First time posting, boyfriend let me use his account to post since I don't have one. I would really appreciate responses:)

I'm applying this cycle. I APed out of Gen Chem and have only taken Physical Chemistry (pchem) lecture as far as inorganic chem goes. I want to apply to a few dental schools that don't accept AP for prereqs. I have already graduated, and I am currently working. If I put gen chem as a "planned course" for winter semester (January 2016), would it hinder my chance of being extended an interview? I scored 21 on GC, 22 TS, 3.3 GPA.

*First time posting, boyfriend let me use his account to post since I don't have one. I would really appreciate responses:)
Interesting, since in general, a year of general chemistry is prerequisite for p chem. You could always check with the schools in question and see if they will let you slide by. Physics/English are the two least critical courses when in comes to ds.

Last edited:
I have a tons of CC credits. In fact, except Physics, Biochem and some other Bio classes, I took all prereqs at my CC. Assuming I'd kill the Dat and have a great Gpa after transferring to a 4-year university, would I still be at disavantage when compared to applicants who went to 4-year institution only? :(

I have a tons of CC credits. In fact, except Physics, Biochem and some other Bio classes, I took all prereqs at my CC. Assuming I'd kill the Dat and have a great Gpa after transferring to a 4-year university, would I still be at disavantage when compared to applicants who went to 4-year institution only? :(

As long as you did well in those CC classes and continued to do well in upper-level science classes at the university, you'll be fine.