2015 Grad Intern Offers!

Started by mcuc2015
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking for a PIC for my store.. Mon-fri only 9am-6pm $130k with a $10k yearly retention bonus. West texas ( Odessa area)

I would call that a fair offer, although chains are probably paying a good deal more for a PIC in that area, although a lot more stress to be sure
 
I just wanted to throw my own input into the equation.

Coming from California, I make 64.25/hr as a full time staff with an annual salary after overtime, holiday pay, and double time coming to well over $120k. No sign on bonus. This was all back in 2012 when I was originally hired in November of my P4 year. After taxes I keep far less, but it is still certainly livable.

64.25 x 40 x 52 = $133,640. That's pretty high for a new grad. Well, depends on what part of Cali I guess since cost of living is outrageous in some areas.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am not from cali, but isn't it the majority of areas?
No, the rates are different depending on which CA locations. For cities close to the Bay Area, the rate is $61.50/hr while Fresno area is paying $65.50/hr. Although the standard of living is lower in the "hard to staff" areas, the rate is typically higher to attract potential employees.
 
Bump for those not seeing this. With Residency Interviews taking place (or not for some), I'm curious if anyone has gotten offers recently. If you don't mind, please include if you are currrently working for the company as a student intern, worked for a different company as an intern, or if you have not worked as a student.

State
Company:
Offer:
Current Intern or work experience:
 
Aren't most of you salaried? Why are you giving us an hourly wage?
Because my "salary" is an hourly amount multiplied by the number of hours I'm scheduled to work. The only reason I have a "salary" is so my boss doesn't have to pay me any more for mandatory meetings, staying at work late or coming in early.
 
Aren't most of you salaried? Why are you giving us an hourly wage?

Hourly is just a lot easier to compare. Not everyone gets 40 hrs/week. I am at 36 hr/week myself so if I quoted my yearly salary it would seem like I was underpaid.

By the way, I am a 2014 grad in the Northeast getting 54/hr from a retail chain for anyone who is curious. Based on this thread it would seem like I got totally shafted but I have a feeling only those with high salaries are posting.
 
Hourly is just a lot easier to compare. Not everyone gets 40 hrs/week. I am at 36 hr/week myself so if I quoted my yearly salary it would seem like I was underpaid.

By the way, I am a 2014 grad in the Northeast getting 54/hr from a retail chain for anyone who is curious. Based on this thread it would seem like I got totally shafted but I have a feeling only those with high salaries are posting.
If makes you feel better, I am salaried making 114k/yr, so ~55/hr, and I have been practicing for 4 years. Working in ambcare. Banker hours, pension, amazing pto package and fully clinical with prescribing privileges so I am fine with the lower salary. Quality of life is most important, my job is clinically challenging and engaging on a professional to professional as well as a professional to patient level, while still being chill and enjoyable.

Moral of story is find a job you enjoy going to everyday and challenges your pharmacist skill set.
 
Still a lot of jobs in CA in less desirable areas. Made 62 straight out of school in 2013. Now as pic make 69 in retail..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I work 26 hours per week on my weekend, and 19.5 when not my weekend making an annual salary of $17,745 a year with about 4 weeks of PTO a year.... but I'm only a P2 😉! Oooh YAY it's not my weekend. Time for work!
 
If makes you feel better, I am salaried making 114k/yr, so ~55/hr, and I have been practicing for 4 years. Working in ambcare. Banker hours, pension, amazing pto package and fully clinical with prescribing privileges so I am fine with the lower salary. Quality of life is most important, my job is clinically challenging and engaging on a professional to professional as well as a professional to patient level, while still being chill and enjoyable.

Moral of story is find a job you enjoy going to everyday and challenges your pharmacist skill set.

the simple fact is, your current position and it's respective responsibilities is not a business model that can be easily replicated. Your job in an outlier for our profession. We as a profession need to have services that ONLY we can bill for, separate from a Physician, if we want to minimize and separate from the role of dispensing (as the quote in your signature does).
 
All these CVS offers. I was in the same situation last year. Less than half the people at new pharmacist orientation are still employed with CVS. The rest have moved onto greener pastures
 
  • Like
Reactions: BF7
All these CVS offers. I was in the same situation last year. Less than half the people at new pharmacist orientation are still employed with CVS. The rest have moved onto greener pastures
My offers were not CVS offers. They were hourly offers, not salary. I can tell you that much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
128k is the standard offer for the kansas city market. 3 of my friends who work for CVS in my class got the same exact offer and I'm sure theres quite a few more. I even uploaded a screenshot of it so you can see for yourself.

I have no reason to lie.View attachment 187901
damn you are getting 128k I need to get out CA then cuz clearly! Wait how many hours is that for biweekly?
 
Offer:
Compounding pharmacy/privately owned
~150k
Montana
Did not accept.

Offers 2+3:
Chains
Colorado
120k
Will likely accept one.

Intern experience ~2 years maybe. Did a lot more administrative things with company #1.
 
That's normal. If you want higher pay in pharmacy, go where others don't want to go. Because supply and demand. Economics!
I guess Kansas City must have a higher demand. I've spoken with older pharmacists in my same area and they said the offers have gone down a lot for my area. I live in a high cost of living area. Other professions make 1.5-2x their normal salary here.
 
I guess Kansas City must have a higher demand. I've spoken with older pharmacists in my same area and they said the offers have gone down a lot for my area. I live in a high cost of living area. Other professions make 1.5-2x their normal salary here.


I'm not exactly sure why, but kansas city seems to have some of the highest offers in the nation via CVS at least. Cost of living is very reasonable/cheap as well and its not like its rural kansas...overland park/kansas city is a very growing population and it is becoming saturated in terms of pharmacist jobs.
 
Large chain

Central US

115k - accepted. Stayed with my company largely do to how I like the corporate culture, strength and stability of the company, and my personal sense of loyalty.

Other chains offering PUBLICLY to external applicants same or a little higher with 10-20k sign-on bonuses in small rural areas to large towns (>100,000). Didn't apply to these.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not exactly sure why, but kansas city seems to have some of the highest offers in the nation via CVS at least. Cost of living is very reasonable/cheap as well and its not like its rural kansas...overland park/kansas city is a very growing population and it is becoming saturated in terms of pharmacist jobs.
Wait is this Kansas city KS or Kansas City MO ? cuz if this is Kansas City KS I understand lol no offense
 
Any other offers out there? Just curious of current market hiring conditions.
 
I'm oferring $125k salary for a M-F 9am-6pm with 2 weeks of paid vacation in the midland/Odessa texas area. A $5k yearly retention bonus as well.
 
Well, M-F 9-6 works out to 45 hours per week x 52 weeks = 2340 hr work year. No mention of breaks or lunches in the post.....
 
Good point. In ambulatory care there is no question that we will have lunch, breaks and 40hr work week, I forget that is not the case in retail.
 
Seems low.....~$53/hour? What kind of work?
Retail.. No night or weekends. With the sign on it's $55/hr.

Go Enjoy working nights, weekends (and some holidays) while working in an understaffd, overly micro-managed chain drug store. You likely wouldnt be a good fit at my store anyway.
 
Retail.. No night or weekends. With the sign on it's $55/hr.

Go Enjoy working nights, weekends (and some holidays) while working in an understaffd, overly micro-managed chain drug store. You likely wouldnt be a good fit at my store anyway.

A little defensive? And what kind of benefits are you providing? Remember, benefits are usually worth 30-40% of your salary.
 
Retail.. No night or weekends. With the sign on it's $55/hr.

Go Enjoy working nights, weekends (and some holidays) while working in an understaffd, overly micro-managed chain drug store. You likely wouldnt be a good fit at my store anyway.

Didn't mean to offend. I was just curious.
 
Submit your resume to [email protected] and I'll provide you full detail. make sure that you note you are BMB from SDN....

Can't be that good if you need to recruit on SDN. Let me take a guess. It is a contract job which means no benefits and the person needs to also pay the employee AND employer portion of social security and medicare tax (an additional 7.65% in taxes). Let me also take a guess the sign on bonus requires the person to work there for at least 2 years. That is why you can't look at just the pay rate. Remember benefits should be 30-40% of your salary so if someone is paying you $50 an hour, he should also give you $15-20 per hour in benefits. If he is not then it is a crappy deal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can't be that good if you need to recruit on SDN. Let me take a guess. It is a contract job which means no benefits and the person needs to also pay the employee AND employer portion of social security and medicare tax (an additional 7.65% in taxes). Let me also take a guess the sign on bonus requires the person to work there for at least 2 years. That is why you can't look at just the pay rate. Remember benefits should be 30-40% of your salary so if someone is paying you $50 an hour, he should also give you $15-20 per hour in benefits. If he is not then it is a crappy deal.

This. If there is a wags or cvs in his neighborhood , they'd be offering total comp of decently over 200k .. yeah you gotta work weekends .. but it's likely almost double the money .

My health insurance and retirement alone are worth 30k/year .. not even looking at profit sharing, bonuses, other insurance benefits , stock options, and vacation (beyond 2 weeks)
 
Last edited:
Can anyone speak to what the current salary/hourly rates are for a staff hospital position, non-residency required, in Rhode Island.
 
Can't be that good if you need to recruit on SDN. Let me take a guess. It is a contract job which means no benefits and the person needs to also pay the employee AND employer portion of social security and medicare tax (an additional 7.65% in taxes). Let me also take a guess the sign on bonus requires the person to work there for at least 2 years. That is why you can't look at just the pay rate. Remember benefits should be 30-40% of your salary so if someone is paying you $50 an hour, he should also give you $15-20 per hour in benefits. If he is not then it is a crappy deal.


Head hunters charge between $10-20k for placing a pharmacist. And no it's not a contract position... They'd be a Direct employee.

For a pharmacist as "worldly" as you, your lack of value for having the opportunity to work "bankers -type" hours is quite telling. You likely don't have a family ( or much of a personal life)

30-40% of ones salary? The average RPH makes $120k per year. Benefits paid for BY THE EMPLOYER hardly reach that amount.

I could go on but you're merely a waste of time.