2015 Match: The Stats Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmBeanz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To keep the SDN tradition going...

Things to include (suggested):
-GPA
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired)
-Activities
-Leadership positions
-Community service
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy
-Number and type of residencies applied to
-Number of interview invites
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
-GPA: 3.7
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Western US
-Activities: Health fairs, med take back events, ect
-Leadership positions: Officer in Rho Chi
-Community service: Volunteer at animal shelter
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 1 1/2 years community, 3 months volunteer intern at cancer research center
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Nothing noteworthy
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9 PGY1s in pharmacy practice (5 highly competative programs, 3 competative, 1 moderate competative)
-Number of interview invites: 2
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): 1st choice, PGY1 in pharmacy practice in Wisconsin

- gpa - 3.99
- 4 yr pharm program
- geographic location: northeast
- activities: apha health fairs, ASHP community outreach stuff, tutor for rho chi, pharmacy mentor, preclinical and clinical research experience, midyear poster
- leadership positions: not much, committee cochair for ashp chapter
- community service: pharm mentor, indigent health clinic
- pharmacy work experience: hospital pharm tech- 1.5 yrs, community (chain and independent together) - 2 yrs, pharm advertising internship - 10 wk program, research fellowship program - 10 wk
- non-pharm work experience - none relevant
- number and types of residencies applied to: 11 pgy1s, all general. 8 highly competitive, 3 competitive
- number interview offers: 7
- ranked all 7, matched with my #1, large, popular pgy1 program in the southeast

Members don't see this ad :)
-GPA: 3.55
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 3 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): North Texas
-Activities: program coordinator, clinical research, midyear posters, health fairs, pharmacy mentor
-Leadership positions: APhA treasurer, KY pledge master, COP student committees
-Community service: health fairs
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: foreign pharm exp x 2 yrs, doing unaccredited residency now
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: not applicable
-Number and type of residencies applied to : combined admin and pharmacotherapy programs- 11 total
-Number of interview invites: 6
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): pharmacotherapy, North texas, ranked #3

-GPA:3.49
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): South (Florida Preferably)
-Activities: ASHP, VPHA, AKA, Class treasurer (2011-2015), SNPHA, Health Fairs, etc.
-Leadership positions: Chair of health committee in sorority, Class treasurer
-Community service: Health fairs
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Retail pharmacy intern for 4 years (Kmart & CVS)
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Director of a camp for 5 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12, Amb care focus
-Number of interview invites: 5
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Number 3 choice, in Florida, with a VA(Amb Care Focus)

-GPA: 3.6
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 years
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): North
-Activities: ASHP, APhA, SNPHA, Health Fairs
-Leadership positions: APhA treasurer, Chair of many committees
-Community service: Health Fairs, Flu clinics,
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Retail pharmacy intern throughout
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: YMCA counselor
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12 (VA programs, Amb care focus)
-Number of interview invites:4
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Number 2 choice, in PA with a VA

Reactions: 1 user
-GPA: 3.7
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 years
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): California, Seattle, Florida, New York, Indiana
-Activities: APhA, SNPhA
-Leadership positions: None - but I helped out APhA and SNPhA co-founding, organizing, and recruiting for the Spanish medical workshop (received an award for this!)
-Community service: Spanish diabetes educator, many health fairs, lots of volunteering activities at clinics for the underserved and uninsured patients
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Intern at an oncology clinic for 1 1/2 year
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Chemistry tutor for high school students
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 13 (mix of traditional + amb care focused residencies)
-Number of interview invites: 8
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Matched to #1 choice, in Northern California

Last edited:
3.6 GPA
4 year PharmD at an older pharmacy school in the SW
1 minor leadership position and TA for a year
Rho Chi, Kappa Psi, APhA
150 hours community service through APhA, mostly immunization clinics
4000 combined hours working in community/research lab/2 summer internships
7 clinical rotations this year, 6 in hospitals
Co-author and 2 years of work on a pre-clinical paper for a drug now in Phase 1 trials
Co-author on a review paper submitted for publication
1 national scholarship award
3 very good letters of rec, my writers sent them to be after submitting

Number of applications: 7, all traditional PGY-1 residencies
Number of interview invites: 5 (accidentally attached the wrong personal statement to one I got rejected from lol)
Where you matched: Ranked all 5
Matched to #1, a medium sized hospital in the NE

Last edited:
-GPA: 3.96
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): traditional 4 year program
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Applied all over the US
-Activities: Student Ambassador (started program), College Assessment Committee, Wellness Committee, Rho Chi, PLS, two posters at Midyear, teaching experience
-Community service: developed two new outreaches, participated in many volunteer activities
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 1 year retail internship and 2 year hospital inpatient internship
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Certified Vet Tech for 7 years
-Number and type of residencies applied to: applied to 12 - some large academic medical centers and some smaller teaching hospitals and one community hospital
-Number of interview invites: 6 interviews
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Matched to my #1 - small very progressive community hospital in the NW

-GPA: 3.72
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year 'newer' school; 3 yrs of pre-pharm with no BS
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): PA, NJ, DE, MD
-Activities: research experience with 3 publications; ambassador; Rho Chi; SSHP (VP x 1 year, Chair of 2 committees); ASHP (National committee member); ACCP; 2 Midyear posters; SSHP chapter poster; undergrad (which was at a SOP) TA; undergrad med chem research (no publications); University Committee alongside faculty
-Community service: basically nothing significant
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: retail at a supermarket x 5 years; hospital intern x 2 yrs at large academic medical center with well-known PGY1
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: nothing that was really worth including on CV
-Number and type of residencies applied to: applied to 6 inpatient-focused programs (1 VA and 5 Academic Medical Centers) with 2-4 PGY1 residents and all offered PGY2
-Number of interview invites: 5 interviews (VA and 4 academic medical centers); ranked all 5
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Matched to my #1 - large academic medical center affiliated with SOP

-What helped me the most: intern experience was challenging and discussed a lot on interviews; I front-loaded APPEs and got 3 direct inpatient APPES as well as Am Care prior to Midyear--these were HUGE and were all at different sites with a lot of DIVERSE experiences; LOR were from 3 clinical preceptors (2 of which were faculty, 1 also per diem at my place of work so was able to vouch for that)...these were BIG; presentations at 2 of my interviews were well-received; practice interviewing negative questions b/c some programs unfortunately harp on them; Finally, I was respectful and happy on my interviews and made an effort to thank interviewers for taking time out of their day to meet w me--you'll be surprised at how rude/senseless others that interview alongside you can be. I don't have perfectly groomed hair, but I shake hands and smile and didn't act like a dbag.

I just wanted to add that I've been lurking on these stats threads for years and it feels damn good to finally be able to contribute. Feel free to PM me

-GPA: 3.40, no rho chi, and dean's list for only 1 semester
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year at a well-established and well-respected school of pharmacy
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Mid-Altlantic Region (PA, NJ, DE, MD)
-Activities: Helped with school tours, APhA, ASHP-SSHP, and a bunch of local Society of Health-System Pharmacists, AJHP publication, research with faculty members, 2 posters at local pharmacy meetings and ASHP
-Leadership positions: On a national committee for one of the major pharmacy organizations, board member on SSHP
-Community service: Habitat for Humanity
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 9 years in retail pharmacy
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: Student worker for university
-Number and type of residencies applied to: applied to 12 traditional inpatient-focused programs (mostly large academic medical centers and emerging academic medical centers)
-Number of interview invites: 6 (ranked all 6), based on the post-match results one program didn't rank me for sure
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): Matched with my #6 at a former community hospital that is undergoing a transformation to an academic medical center (phew! narrowly missed the scramble)

- What helped me the most: I knew when I started looking at residency at the beginning of P3 year that my lower grades from my P1 and P2 year would weigh down my GPA (I had the mindset that I was going into retail before that and my attitude towards school kind of reflected it before the "lightbulb turned on"). I also did not have experience in hospital pharmacy. As a result I compensated with working on the diversity of my application. I got extremely involved with pharmacy organizations and was fortunate to land leadership positions in school organizations and at a national level. I worked with two faculty members on two different projects, one of which was published in a peer reviewed journal and both were presented at multiple meetings and at ASHP. During my rotations, I made sure I had a diverse experiences with rotations in critical care, acute care, and am care and worked my ass off to get favorable letters of recommendations. When it came down to applying for residencies, I applied to a variety of programs in a relatively large geographic area.

GPA: 3.46
Type of PharmD program: 4 year
Geographic location: Mid-Atlantic
Activities: Self-motivated research project on interprofessional collaboration, several bp/glucose clinics, opinion article published in the SOP newspaper, mentor for pre-pharm students, facilitated a discussion for a program at Midyear, attended legislative/lobbying events affiliated with student organizations, unpublished research project (retrospective chart review at a free clinic)
Leadership positions: On a national committee for one of the major pharmacy organizations, social chair for student chapter of APhA, president of pre-pharmacy society in undergrad, on fundraising committee for pharmacy fraternity and various other committees for student organizations
Community service: Ambulatory care free clinic every other week for 5 hours x 2 semesters, homeless shelter volunteer x 1 year in undergrad
Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 2 years interning at private community hospital in pharmacy school, 6 months at CVS in undergrad
Number and type of residencies applied to: VAMCs x 9, ambulatory care x 1
Number of interview invites: 5
Where you actually matched: My #1, PGY1 Pharmacy at a VAMC in Mid-Atlantic region with robust programs in both inpatient and ambulatory care
What helped me the most: APPE rotations have been a TREMENDOUS opportunity to develop a good understanding of real-world pharmacy and the challenges experienced in various settings. Engaging as much as possible with the people around me during rotations (everyone, not just pharmacists!) helped me develop a big-picture understanding of pharmacy practice and come up with ideas on how the profession might move forward. After reflecting on these experiences, I was able to articulate our current pharmacy landscape, where I saw the profession heading, and how I was preparing to contribute to that change during interviews.
Words of advice: Soak everything in like a sponge during APPEs! Don't be afraid to jump in...it will really impress your preceptors and build your confidence as a practitioner. This will get you excellent LORs and give you some great material for interviews. Learn how to be a good storyteller to relay your experiences. Interview with the intention of determining whether the program is a good match for your professional interests and vice versa.

GPA: 3.2; Dean's list in the last 2 semesters
Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): New-ish 4 year (I'm in the 2nd graduating class)
Geographic location: Northeast
Activities: Research project in progress (retrospective chart review)
Leadership positions: Class VP x 1 year, Fraternity sergeant-at-arms x 1 year, APhA-ASP Membership VP x 1 year
Community service: Brown bag medication review, DEA drug take-back events, NKA Diabetes & HTN screening at health clinics, ALA Asthma Training for Children with Asthma, Habitat for Humanity, Local soup kitchen
Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Walgreens intern x 2 years
Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
Number and type of residencies applied to: 24 (12 medium to large academic medical centers with COP affiliations + 12 VA medical centers)
Number of interview invites: 8 (6 non-VAs, 2 VAs); 6 of 8 interviews were from my home state (2 were from the Southeast)
Where you actually matched: Matched at my #3, a large academic medical center in the northeast

Members don't see this ad :)
-GPA: 3.98
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year) - 4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired) - somewhere in the US
-Activities - was a member of AphA and ASHP, can't say I was super involved though
-Leadership positions - only the historian for Rho Chi, nothing else
-Community service - volunteered in a chemo-infusion pharmacy, health events here and there
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy - intern at a retail pharmacy for 2 years, 2 years as a pharmacy lab TA
-Number and type of residencies applied to - applied to 10 large academic medical centers, 2 large community hospitals
-Number of interview invites - 8
-Where you actually matched - matched my #1, a large academic medical center
Advice - I think I got all the interviews that I did because of my GPA, my rotations, and personality. I picked all in-patient rotations and kicked butt so that I could have solid references. Grades do matter. Knowledge base does matter (so learn as much on rotations as you can), so you can sound intelligent at your interviews. Personality (or just not being shy and reserved) does matter - you need to be able to form a connection with your interviewers and the current residents so that they remember you!

-GPA: 3.4
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year):
4 year
-Geographic location (region or city if desired):
Northeast
-Activities:
Rho chi
-Leadership positions:
Secretary of Rho chi and led multiple health fairs for underserved populations
-Community service:
Volunteer at Soup Kitchen and Hospital
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy:
Intern at mail order pharmacy for 2 years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy:
Lab technician for 6 months
-Number and type of residencies applied to:
-Number of interview invites:
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc):
matched at #2, a large academic institution

-GPA: 3.8
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): MidAtlantic
-Activities: lots of health fairs & BP clinics, medical translations, presented 2 posters at Midyear (one during P3 then P4 year), Kappa Psi
-Leadership positions: officer positions in student chapter ASHP (2yrs) and Rho Chi
-Community service: volunteered at local free clinic 1.5 yrs
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: retail intern (x 1yr) and internship at pharmaceutical company
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: IT Helpdesk Administrator (x 3yrs)
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 14 PGY1 (4 VAs, 10 community/academic institutions)
-Number of interview invites: 10 (ranked 9)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): #4, community/teaching institution in SW

-GPA 3.7+
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year) 4 year program top 10 pharmacy school although i can't speak highly of the quality of education received...
-Geographic location (region or city if desired) no preference, applied everywhere, preferably somewhere doesn't snow
-Activities one poster, some projects,
-Leadership positions tons of leadership positions in multiple organizations
-Community service tons of volunteer service
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy inpatient pharmacy intern x 3 years at a community hospital, retail pharmacy tech x 2 years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy n/a
-Number and type of residencies applied to 16 acute care PGY1 (15 large academic medical center/1 large community) across the entire country
-Number of interview invites 8
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc) #3 PGY1 at a highly reputable large academic medical center, Midwest (i accept the fact that i cannot escape from snow...sigh...) but the program is awesome, i am very happy. in terms of learning experience/opportunities, i like #3 the most actually. i ranked it # 3 due to external factors (location, weather, etc).

Haven't posted in a while but thought I would share! I was initially really scared due to my lower GPA and wanting an academic medical center but it all worked out! PM if you have any further questions :) & Congrats everyone!

-GPA:
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year) 4 year program
-Geographic location (region or city if desired) No major preference for location, applied broadly
-Activities 2 research projects (one in which I was the PI), 1 poster, no pubs, involved in multiple organizations
-Leadership positions Mixture of positions throughout school (secretary, historian, VP)
-Community service Good amount throughout school, also went to South America on a medical trip
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy Inpatient pharmacy intern x 2.5 years, CVS tech before school
-Work experience outside of pharmacy Nothing during pharmacy school
-Number and type of residencies applied to 16 total (14 academic medical centers around the country, 2 major acute care focused hospital systems)
-Number of interview invites 12; went to 10
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc) Highly reputable academic medical center on the east coast, SO excited and thankful.

-GPA: 3.35 (Class of 2014)
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year, long standing well respected insitution
-Type of PGY1 program: All inpatient, no amb care experiences, associated with a major medical center on the east coast
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): No preference, I applied all over
-Activities: PDC, exec board, tons of fundraising
-Leadership positions: several positions in the above
-Community service: Too much to mention, tried to keep this up during residency (significantly harder but doable)
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: major retail chain through pharm school
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 9 PGY2s- mix of VA and academic medical centers
-Number of interview invites: 6 (attended 5, ranked 4)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): northeast major medical center with SOP

What helped me: PPS was a major advantage. The 3 places I didn't receive interview invites from, I hadn't met at midyear (they are also scrambling so it might have been a good thing). For those who already know they want to do a PGY2: I personally think the name and reputation of your PGY1 does matter.

As mentioned before, make a connection with your interviewers, stand out (in a positive way), and be able to speak about the activities you've been involved in with a professional and clear tone without sounding overly rehearsed.

Congrats to all that matched and good luck to those starting the scramble!

Reactions: 1 users
GPA: 3.67 (improved to 3.73 after 1st semester of P4 year, but I could not get the transcript out in time)
Type of PharmD program: 4 year
Geographic location (region or city if desired): South Texas
Activities: Competed in a lot of clinical skills competitions and counseling competitions. Didn't place first in any, but ranked in top 5 locally a few times. Rho Chi + PLS.
Leadership positions: SNPhA president, PLS Vice Presdident, ACCP meeting organizer, PDC member
Community service: 4-6 hours a semester outside of required service laerning hours
Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 3 years as a hospital intern, 1 semester as an MTM intern
Work experience outside of pharmacy: Retail, restaurant, tutor, and TA; quit once pharmacy school started
Number and type of residencies applied to: 12 (2 pharmacotherapy and 10 pharmacy practice)
Number of interview invites: 3 (1 pharmacotherapy and 2 pharmacy practice)
Where you actually matched: Pharmacy practice residency in large hospital in Houston; matched with #1 choice

REAPPLICANT* (graduated 2014)
GPA: 3.89
Type of PharmD Program: 4 year
Geographic location: open
Activities: Rho Chi (historian), SNPhA (committee chair x 2 yrs + CSC regionals-placed), SSHP competitions (poster/CSC, placed in some) + poster at Midyear, ACCP, research involvement (publication in progress)
Work Experience: 1 yr clinical hybrid position at a progressive community hospital :) 1 summer research assistant, 1 year community intern, supplemental instructor in undergrad + tutoring for an agency.
Number and type of residencies: 12. 2 pharmacotherapy + 10 PGY1
Number of interviews: 4
Ranked: 4
MATCHED--so nice to say that PGY1 with med/large academic med center affiliated with a COP

Sharing in case anyone is considering trying to reapply after practicing a year.

GPA: 3.95
Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4-year program
Geographic location (region or city if desired): South Florida
Activities: ~20 hours of community involvement each semester (health fairs, walks, fundraisers, etc), clinical skills competition (local), Rho Chi, involvement in leadership roles
Leadership positions: SGA treasurer, team leader for health initiative, student representative on 2 school committees
Community service: various events here and there, not nearly as much as others
Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 2 years as retail intern
Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
Number and type of residencies applied to: 9 (PGY1 -- 1 VA and 8 academic medical centers)
Number of interview invites: 6 interviews and ranked 5
Where you actually matched: VA in the northeast, #1 choice!!

This might sound dumb but what's the difference between pharmacotherapy and pharmacy practice residency/PGY1?

-GPA: 3.8
-Type of PharmD program (3 or 4 year): 4 year, very old program, nationally ranked (not that ranking really matters :p)
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): North East
-Activities: APhA, Rho Chi, research & poster at ACCP
-Leadership positions: APhA Co-Chair
-Community service: Part of APhA, lots
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: Intern at long-term care for 2+ years
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 18, mostly generaly PGY-1, among those 3 VA's and 1 ambulatory-care focused program
-Number of interview invites: 9 (attended 8 d/t scheduling conflict)
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): my #5 choice, teaching hospital that's part of a health system in CA

I feel like it's redundant to say this but I just have to say it... I definitely think I matched not because of my stats or anything like that, but because I applied widely and ranked all programs I interviewed with. Of course there will be people who interviewed at one place and matched, but I wouldn't count on it happening often. I know people who are Rho Chi, with research & leadership & all that jazz, 10 interviews +, who did not match. Apply to a variety of programs in a variety of geographic locations (if you are able to); don't set yourself up to fail.

This might sound dumb but what's the difference between pharmacotherapy and pharmacy practice residency/PGY1?

I didn't quite know the answer to this myself, so while waiting for people with first-hand experience with this type of programs, I found this a good read.

What is a Pharmacotherapy Residency? Benefits of a 24-Month Program

Last edited:
Thanks for posting guys! I was hoping to see more responses though. My turn next year and im pretty excited :)

Anyone matched and haven't received their offer letter yet?

I thought the program was supposed to send a letter within 30 days of the match. Email them.

-GPA: 3.76
-Geographic location (region or city if desired): Applied all over the US, but mostly applied in the midwest
-Activities: APhA, Rho Chi, ACCP
-Leadership positions: Rho Chi Historian for 1 year
-Community service: health fairs and organization events
-Work experience in the field of pharmacy: 4 years as a retail intern, 0 hospital experience before rotations
-Work experience outside of pharmacy: N/A
-Research experience: I didn't include any on my CV yet and didn't have a poster for midyear, but I did talk about it during interviews and presented a poster in April
-Number and type of residencies applied to: 12, mostly large academic medical centers
-Number of interview invites: 3
-Where you actually matched (type of residency, geographic location, etc): #1 choice, small academic medical center in KCMO.

My advice for P3s: Apply broadly - none of the large academic medical centers or VAs invited me to interview. I am so very grateful that I applied to a mix of hospitals - don't overestimate yourself. Also, some of the less competitive places I interviewed at had residents that were so completely in love with their program and were moving on to great career options. I had a wide variety of rotations that were in hospitals that I did very well at, but matching is very competitive. If you want to do a certain area of pharmacy, set up rotations with those locations and preceptors if you can afford it. Also, do practice interviews at your school as much as possible. I started very unconfident but surprised myself and found out that I actually was very good at interviewing and I could use that confidence in the real world.