2015 Mcat score needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

I'm interested in applying to podiatry school and I'm scheduled to take the Mcat this June. I understand that you don't need a high mcat like premeds require for med school. With a 3.0 GPA, what 2015 mcat score would I need to get in anywhere?

Since the average mcat scores for podiatric students was around 23-24, what would that equate to for the new 2015 mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in applying to podiatry school and I'm scheduled to take the Mcat this June. I understand that you don't need a high mcat like premeds require for med school. With a 3.0 GPA, what 2015 mcat score would I need to get in anywhere?

Since the average mcat scores for podiatric students was around 23-24, what would that equate to for the new 2015 mcat?
It seems like podiatry isn't your first choice and that you're interested in it because you have and/or you predict to have low stats (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not trying to detour you from choosing podiatry as a career but if podiatry isn't your first choice, I'd recommend that you don't apply. If you feel that your stats are too low for US MD/DO schools there are always carib medical schools that'd be more than willing to take you in. But please, don't apply to podiatry unless that's where your heart is, because if it isn't, you may end up hating it and you'd be taking a spot from someone who has genuine interest.

Just my $.02.
-SDrJJohnson

Reactions: 3 users
Why don't you try your best at it instead of just hoping to slide by with the minimum?

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like podiatry isn't your first choice and that you're interested in it because you have and/or you predict to have low stats (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not trying to detour you from choosing podiatry as a career but if podiatry isn't your first choice, I'd recommend that you don't apply. If you feel that your stats are too low for US MD/DO schools there are always carib medical schools that'd be more than willing to take you in. But please, don't apply to podiatry unless that's where your heart is, because if it isn't, you may end up hating it and you'd be taking a spot from someone who has genuine interest.

Just my $.02.
-SDrJJohnson

Thanks for your concern. I'm very interested in podiatry, but theres the numbers component that I have to be concerned about as well. The Mcat was a difficult exam and I curious if my testing abilities is good enough for me to reach my career goals.

I had a 2.9 but that was because of a medical issue during a post-bac semester (which I explained). I got a 32 on the old MCAT and got into NYCPM. I was also waitlisted at AZPOD, Kent, and DMU but I did apply in February.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay so I took my exam in July. Unfortunately I did very poorly on it. I got a 491 which is the equivalent of a 17 on the old Mcat :(
I used this website to convert my score to the old mcat. I'm devastated.

After seeing my July Mcat score I've come to realize that I don't have what it takes to get into podiatry school.

If I got a 22 or something then I'd just retake the exam in 3 months after studying more since that would be realistic to improve 2 points or so. But a 17? Thats just a sign that I probably don't have the intellectual capacity to be a doctor after all of that studying. Even if I slide through I'm not sure how I would even survive the schooling, since podiatry school is just as difficult as med school (just easier to get into). I got a 3.0 gpa from University of California San Diego and I thought that maybe I can barely handle podiatry school, but after seeing that 17 score that just pushed me down a whole other level.

I used the Exam Krackers home program as a study tool. Even if I were to take the exam again I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to improve 6-7 points. I think I need to realistically change my career. I want to stay in the healthcare field, so what would be the best career below a doctor that isn't as intellectually challenging? I'd like to avoid nursing since none of my pre reqs from my biology degree apply to nursing school prereqs.

Thanks for taking your time for reading this.

Okay so I took my exam in July. Unfortunately I did very poorly on it. I got a 491 which is the equivalent of a 17 on the old Mcat :(

After seeing my July Mcat score I've come to realize that I don't have what it takes to get into podiatry school.

If I got a 22 or something then I'd just retake the exam in 3 months after studying more since that would be realistic to improve 2 points or so. But a 17? Thats just a sign that I probably don't have the intellectual capacity to be a doctor after all of that studying. Even if I slide through I'm not sure how I would even survive the schooling, since podiatry school is just as difficult as med school (just easier to get into). I got a 3.0 gpa from University of California San Diego and I thought that maybe I can barely handle podiatry school, but after seeing that 17 score that just pushed me down a whole other level.

I used the Exam Krackers home program as a study tool. Even if I were to take the exam again I'm not sure how I'm even supposed to improve 6-7 points. I think I need to realistically change my career. I want to stay in the healthcare field, so what would be the best career below a doctor that isn't as intellectually challenging? I'd like to avoid nursing since none of my pre reqs from my biology degree apply to nursing school prereqs.

Well I got a 19 the first time around... And restudied and got a 26. It is possible... I did rush it the first time around though. I also graduated from ucsd and got interviews at all but 1 pod school.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

If you are interested in the field of Podiatry, do not let this stop you. Heck, you might even want to submit your application. If they ask you for an interview then it was well worth it! And you can always update your MCAT score because you have time still to sign up for another test and retake it.

I think you should take the time to evaluate WHY you did so badly on the test. This reddit forum https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/ has TONS of information, advice, resources, and people that are willing to help you. By simply scouring through the forum, you will find a lot of people who did average to very well on the exam 500-526 that are freely sharing their experiences on what to expect and how to form a plan. I used Exam Krackers and Khan Academy to form the basis of my review. So what I did was take my first Next Step practice half test early on in my studying; I scored a 493. Sure enough I decided to push my test date back from july 17 to september 3, which I did. My second Next Step practice half test about a month later, I scored a 504. After finishing content review last week I decided to buy the AAMC FL test and the question packet after inquiring on the forum what I should do until my test to help improve my score so that I feel more confident going into the test. I was told that practicing with a once a week full length test, sandwiched by practice questions during the week that focus on weak areas, would drastically help to improve my score. Users made it very clear that multiple practice test are critical for doing well for most people. It allows for familiarization with the types of questions asked in a close format to how they will be asked. As you know, the new test focuses a lot on being able to comprehend dense passages. But the questions are usually very simple, asking for more of a conceptual understanding of how one, two or more objects in the passage relate. The calculations (which I myself have trouble with because of this next part) aren't usually too terrible if you can spend time remembering the formulas. Once you wrap your head around this, it starts to become clear that the test is simply meant to scare you in a large part; this makes you question yourself and freak out. This is also for good reason, as it is some measure I believe of how well candidates react to such a situation.

I scored a 504 on my first full length test last Sunday, the same score as my half length 2 Sundays ago. Had a HUGE improvement in my CARS section, but a slight decrease in all the other sections. But I know why this happened and how I can improve. If I can improve and develop a plan forward, I am sure you can as well! Don't be afraid to backpedal if you aren't comfortable with a topic. Many people have had to take more than one MCAT exam and have had to take what seems an extra amount of time to learn the information. This test is hard, yes. But it's not unconquerable. Also remember, it's likely much easier to go from a 491 to a 500 than it is to go from a 501 to a 510. And a 500 would put you right about a 25 on the old test. So don't be a afraid to give it another shot!

Best of luck to you.

Well I got a 19 the first time around... And restudied and got a 26. It is possible... I did rush it the first time around though. I also graduated from ucsd and got interviews at all but 1 pod school.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

How did you study differently on your second time around? Do you mind sharing your gpa?

If you are interested in the field of Podiatry, do not let this stop you. Heck, you might even want to submit your application. If they ask you for an interview then it was well worth it! And you can always update your MCAT score because you have time still to sign up for another test and retake it.

I think you should take the time to evaluate WHY you did so badly on the test. This reddit forum https://www.reddit.com/r/Mcat/ has TONS of information, advice, resources, and people that are willing to help you. By simply scouring through the forum, you will find a lot of people who did average to very well on the exam 500-526 that are freely sharing their experiences on what to expect and how to form a plan. I used Exam Krackers and Khan Academy to form the basis of my review. So what I did was take my first Next Step practice half test early on in my studying; I scored a 493. Sure enough I decided to push my test date back from july 17 to september 3, which I did. My second Next Step practice half test about a month later, I scored a 504. After finishing content review last week I decided to buy the AAMC FL test and the question packet after inquiring on the forum what I should do until my test to help improve my score so that I feel more confident going into the test. I was told that practicing with a once a week full length test, sandwiched by practice questions during the week that focus on weak areas, would drastically help to improve my score. Users made it very clear that multiple practice test are critical for doing well for most people. It allows for familiarization with the types of questions asked in a close format to how they will be asked. As you know, the new test focuses a lot on being able to comprehend dense passages. But the questions are usually very simple, asking for more of a conceptual understanding of how one, two or more objects in the passage relate. The calculations (which I myself have trouble with because of this next part) aren't usually too terrible if you can spend time remembering the formulas. Once you wrap your head around this, it starts to become clear that the test is simply meant to scare you in a large part; this makes you question yourself and freak out. This is also for good reason, as it is some measure I believe of how well candidates react to such a situation.

I scored a 504 on my first full length test last Sunday, the same score as my half length 2 Sundays ago. Had a HUGE improvement in my CARS section, but a slight decrease in all the other sections. But I know why this happened and how I can improve. If I can improve and develop a plan forward, I am sure you can as well! Don't be afraid to backpedal if you aren't comfortable with a topic. Many people have had to take more than one MCAT exam and have had to take what seems an extra amount of time to learn the information. This test is hard, yes. But it's not unconquerable. Also remember, it's likely much easier to go from a 491 to a 500 than it is to go from a 501 to a 510. And a 500 would put you right about a 25 on the old test. So don't be a afraid to give it another shot!

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for making the time on your response. I guess if I were to take the exam the second time I'll focus more on practice exams. I did spend most of my time on content review, so maybe that was a flaw on my part. Your experience is a bit inspiring to me because I am currently in the place were you first were. I just don't really understand how to really improve my score other than 'familiarize' testing by taking more exams. I will try harder on my second time around but for how much I studied the first time around, I don't know how much 'harder' I can try.

How did you study differently on your second time around? Do you mind sharing your gpa?

Thanks for making the time on your response. I guess if I were to take the exam the second time I'll focus more on practice exams. I did spend most of my time on content review, so maybe that was a flaw on my part. Your experience is a bit inspiring to me because I am currently in the place were you first were. I just don't really understand how to really improve my score other than 'familiarize' testing by taking more exams. I will try harder on my second time around but for how much I studied the first time around, I don't know how much 'harder' I can try.

Most people agree that simply doing content review is not enough to prepare you for the MCAT. That is why I did so poorly on my first practice test. Everything I have gathered and researched says that doing multiple practice exams and practice questions in a style that mocks the test, is pretty much guaranteed to increase your score. And that's because the test doesn't ask you to spew out discrete memorized information necessarily. It want's you to take your knowledge and apply it to a situation. For instance one question im looking over now says,"Which naturally occurring biological molecule would be able to bind in the same spot as ibuprofen?" It then list Glucose, ATP, Glycerol, and Palmitoleic Acid as separate answer choices. The passage includes a structural image of ibuprofen. The way you solve this is by looking at the structure of ibuprofen and then selecting the answer choice that most resembles its functional groups and general shape. We say oh, hey, the question is asking about binding, so that deals with substrates and ligands. We know that a ligand will bind its substrate, but can also bind other molecules that have a similar structure to the substrate. You aren't provided with images of the answer choices, so this is where you have to use your knowledge of the basic structures listed. For me, I knew that Glucose, ATP, and Glycerol looked nothing like the ibuprofen molecule shown. I wasn't too sure as sure of how Palmitoleic acid looked, but I knew it sure as heck wasn't the other three. I was correct. Then to make a mental note, I looked up palmitoleic acid afterwards just to see kind of how it looked, and sure enough it had a generally similar shape to ibuprofen. I also make a mental note of the type of questions that this is, and it makes it easier to recognize and approach it in the future

That's the kind of thought process you are expected to use on these questions and how you are to improve on your actual scores. And the more you practice it, the better you will find you are able to apply the style of thinking they are looking for. You just don't get this kind of thing with only content review. So yes, do more practice. You'll get answers wrong: look them up and see why they are wrong. You'll get answers right:if you know you guessed it right then look it up and familiarize yourself with the concept.

One last thing. Just found this from someone on this website who posted 2 weeks ago. It's a good example of what you probably can do over a longer period of time to prepare rather than the 50 days this guy did it in:

Hello all, I am sharing this because I think it is important to let everyone who is studying for this life consuming exam know that there is no one way to be successful on test day. I studied for a total of 50 days, but had those 50 days completely free and dedicated to studying for the MCAT. I completed the june exam with a preliminary percentile in the 90th-100th range. I used the EK books along with the Khan academy videos, and AAMC Q packs. I also bought the TPR book about 6 months before I started studying but never used it, however this gave me access to their 4 full length exams.

Background: I am a 25 year old post-graduate student with a criminology degree who attended law school partially before rerouting to this path. With that said, I have taken all of the science related pre-reqs in the last year and a half, one after another, which I feel may have been an advantage as everything was fairly fresh. I did NOT take biochem before taking this exam, but had an extremely thorough understanding of organic chemistry which I feel helped tremendously. I finished my final semester on May 1st and sat for the June 20th exam, and only studied during that time frame.

Schedule: For the first twenty days I did content review for everything except for physics (my weakest section). My thoughts were that there was not a significant chance for me to improve my understanding in such a small amount of time and therefore reviewing this section would be extremely low yield.

I went to campus (go to anywhere you feel you can study without being distracted, for me this is away from home) and studied for 6-8 hours a day for 6-7 days a week. And I mean it. With this condensed time frame there is no way around the fact that you need to put in massive hours to reach your goal. I read each individual EK book from front to back before starting the next, and used the method that the books proposed by reading first without highlighting or answering questions, and then going back and reading again at a later time.

The EK books are broken up pretty well and I would read each chapter, take a small break of about five minutes, and then start the next chapter. I would do this for 3-4 hours, take lunch, and then head back and repeat.

After these twenty days and in the month leading up to the exam i completed about 11 full length practice exams. For ~5 of them I did NOT take them as actual exams, but rather skipped to the section that I was reviewing and did the questions, untimed, for a single section. I would take one full length exam on Saturday with breaks, which took about 7 hours, and then went home without reviewing the answers. On Sunday I would review the test results and continue content review which I repeated for 3-4 days until taking another full length. I took ~6 emulated full lengths leading up to the exam with 4 days between each.

During the last week I was completely sick of the MCAT and did not do another practice test. I ramped down studying and did content review for physics (the section I neglected at the beginning) as well as going over any section I felt was weak or needed refreshing. As hard as it was, I did not look at anything the day before the exam.

Tidbits:
1. Exam review is KEY. at the beginning of my studies I had no idea what I was doing and although I had a very solid base for the subjects, I had little experience for the SPECIFICS of the exam. It was not important that I was ready to take the practice exams. My first practice exam score was a 495. What was important was that I reviewed the answers to the exams including why the wrong answers were wrong, and developed a thorough understanding of the question and answer.

2. Take as many exams as humanly possible. I think that my overall exposure was the key to my success on the exam. I did thousands of questions and I did all of my tests multiple times in order to solidify my understanding. I don't think it is critically important that you do each test in a complete and timed setting, as I simply reviewed individual sections and skipped through exams all the time to get to the sections that I wanted.

3. EK is not enough to do well. It doesn't cover nearly any of the biochem needed. I supplemented this with the biochem related Khan videos and I think this was sufficient. Know your amino acids, and know how polarity and acidity affect interactions.

4. Study for the psych section. It is extremely high yield. I think that a lot of people are afraid of it and don't understand it, but who cares. It simply isn't as hard as the other sections if you give yourself sufficient exposure to the content. Unfortunately, no one book is sufficient to cover the material. This is where the 12 practice exams were useful, as I made note cards for the material that I was previously not exposed to.

5. Don't let practice exam scores get you down. I took 12 tests and never got above a 502 on any of them, and I am going to come out with a 515+.

6. The idea that this exam will only test content related to the body and medicine seemed to be overstated. I felt like this test wasn't VERY different from the old exams, albeit much longer and with more analysis of data. You will still get physics questions that have seemingly no relation to the human body, etc.

The point of this post is that with the right work ethic, you can do it any way that you need to. This is NOT a suggestion to study for less time. I was in a bind, and did what I needed to be successful. It is simply a reminder that there is no one way, and to not get caught up in everything that everyone at SDN has to say. Every person is an individual and there is no one size fits all study plan.

This exam is a monster, but you can do it! If you have any more questions for me about anything feel free to ask.

One last thing. Just found this from someone on this website who posted 2 weeks ago. It's a good example of what you probably can do over a longer period of time to prepare rather than the 50 days this guy did it in:

Hello all, I am sharing this because I think it is important to let everyone who is studying for this life consuming exam know that there is no one way to be successful on test day. I studied for a total of 50 days, but had those 50 days completely free and dedicated to studying for the MCAT. I completed the june exam with a preliminary percentile in the 90th-100th range. I used the EK books along with the Khan academy videos, and AAMC Q packs. I also bought the TPR book about 6 months before I started studying but never used it, however this gave me access to their 4 full length exams.

Background: I am a 25 year old post-graduate student with a criminology degree who attended law school partially before rerouting to this path. With that said, I have taken all of the science related pre-reqs in the last year and a half, one after another, which I feel may have been an advantage as everything was fairly fresh. I did NOT take biochem before taking this exam, but had an extremely thorough understanding of organic chemistry which I feel helped tremendously. I finished my final semester on May 1st and sat for the June 20th exam, and only studied during that time frame.

Schedule: For the first twenty days I did content review for everything except for physics (my weakest section). My thoughts were that there was not a significant chance for me to improve my understanding in such a small amount of time and therefore reviewing this section would be extremely low yield.

I went to campus (go to anywhere you feel you can study without being distracted, for me this is away from home) and studied for 6-8 hours a day for 6-7 days a week. And I mean it. With this condensed time frame there is no way around the fact that you need to put in massive hours to reach your goal. I read each individual EK book from front to back before starting the next, and used the method that the books proposed by reading first without highlighting or answering questions, and then going back and reading again at a later time.

The EK books are broken up pretty well and I would read each chapter, take a small break of about five minutes, and then start the next chapter. I would do this for 3-4 hours, take lunch, and then head back and repeat.

After these twenty days and in the month leading up to the exam i completed about 11 full length practice exams. For ~5 of them I did NOT take them as actual exams, but rather skipped to the section that I was reviewing and did the questions, untimed, for a single section. I would take one full length exam on Saturday with breaks, which took about 7 hours, and then went home without reviewing the answers. On Sunday I would review the test results and continue content review which I repeated for 3-4 days until taking another full length. I took ~6 emulated full lengths leading up to the exam with 4 days between each.

During the last week I was completely sick of the MCAT and did not do another practice test. I ramped down studying and did content review for physics (the section I neglected at the beginning) as well as going over any section I felt was weak or needed refreshing. As hard as it was, I did not look at anything the day before the exam.

Tidbits:
1. Exam review is KEY. at the beginning of my studies I had no idea what I was doing and although I had a very solid base for the subjects, I had little experience for the SPECIFICS of the exam. It was not important that I was ready to take the practice exams. My first practice exam score was a 495. What was important was that I reviewed the answers to the exams including why the wrong answers were wrong, and developed a thorough understanding of the question and answer.

2. Take as many exams as humanly possible. I think that my overall exposure was the key to my success on the exam. I did thousands of questions and I did all of my tests multiple times in order to solidify my understanding. I don't think it is critically important that you do each test in a complete and timed setting, as I simply reviewed individual sections and skipped through exams all the time to get to the sections that I wanted.

3. EK is not enough to do well. It doesn't cover nearly any of the biochem needed. I supplemented this with the biochem related Khan videos and I think this was sufficient. Know your amino acids, and know how polarity and acidity affect interactions.

4. Study for the psych section. It is extremely high yield. I think that a lot of people are afraid of it and don't understand it, but who cares. It simply isn't as hard as the other sections if you give yourself sufficient exposure to the content. Unfortunately, no one book is sufficient to cover the material. This is where the 12 practice exams were useful, as I made note cards for the material that I was previously not exposed to.

5. Don't let practice exam scores get you down. I took 12 tests and never got above a 502 on any of them, and I am going to come out with a 515+.

6. The idea that this exam will only test content related to the body and medicine seemed to be overstated. I felt like this test wasn't VERY different from the old exams, albeit much longer and with more analysis of data. You will still get physics questions that have seemingly no relation to the human body, etc.

The point of this post is that with the right work ethic, you can do it any way that you need to. This is NOT a suggestion to study for less time. I was in a bind, and did what I needed to be successful. It is simply a reminder that there is no one way, and to not get caught up in everything that everyone at SDN has to say. Every person is an individual and there is no one size fits all study plan.

This exam is a monster, but you can do it! If you have any more questions for me about anything feel free to ask.

Justintxc, thanks for spending the time to respond and thanks for the advice! I'll most likely be taking this exam again and will most likely use something along the lines of what this person did. I'll definitely focus more on practice questions and exams this time around.