2015 Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some minor changes in the prerequisites for dental school admission. Biochemistry is now a de facto requirement. Additional science courses include math, calculus, statistics; for non science, psychology, sociology, Spanish (Puerto Rico) . Other recommended non science courses includes: business, communication, computers, foreign language, sculpture/art/pottery, 3-D, drafting and pottery. It would be wise to consult the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2015 Prerequisites SDN 5-23-15.doc
    174 KB · Views: 862
Reactions: 15 users
First like and post!!! Hurrah!

Thank you so much @doc toothache for all that you do. It is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for posting this!

I was wondering about UNE:

It requires 16 additional courses in bio/chem/physics, but it appears as if it only requires 4cr of biology/gen chem/orgo. Does this mean that a class such as Bio 2 or Gen Chem 2 would count toward the additional course credits?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess I now have to cut Indiana with all of those new biology prereqs...

Also Tennessee does not require microbiology. They require ONE of histology, micro, comparative anatomy, or human anatomy WITH lab.

Thank you for this, doc toothache. I eagerly await your post on CC/AP credit acceptance for 2015. :)

On page 4, you list 2014 Pre-Requisites. Should that be 2015?

Thanks for the info!!!

Thank you so much for posting this!
I was wondering about UNE:
It requires 16 additional courses in bio/chem/physics, but it appears as if it only requires 4cr of biology/gen chem/orgo. Does this mean that a class such as Bio 2 or Gen Chem 2 would count toward the additional course credits?
That would seem to be the case.

Well I guess I now have to cut Indiana with all of those new biology prereqs...
Also Tennessee does not require microbiology. They require ONE of histology, micro, comparative anatomy, or human anatomy WITH lab.
The ADEA Guide lists histo and micro as required with the caveat you mention.

On page 4, you list 2014 Pre-Requisites. Should that be 2015?
Thanks for the info!!!
It is for 2015. The correction has been made.

Time to switch the classes I registered for...

When they require English Comp, is this the two academic writing courses everyone takes?

Is there a place on the application to explain classes you took? Our gen-eds are part of a block program and while I'll have 3 years of writing intensive courses before application, they will say BLK not ENG or do I need to figure out how to fit a year of ENG classes into my schedule?

Is there a place on the application to explain classes you took? Our gen-eds are part of a block program and while I'll have 3 years of writing intensive courses before application, they will say BLK not ENG or do I need to figure out how to fit a year of ENG classes into my schedule?
You need to check with the pros regarding any explanation you may or may not be able to include. However, AADSAS will generally go by what is written on the transcript. It is unlikely that you are the first applicant with so unique situation that they are unable to resolve it.

Last edited:
There are some minor changes in the prerequisites for dental school admission. Biochemistry is now a de facto requirement. Additional science courses include math, calculus, statistics; for non science, psychology, sociology, Spanish (Puerto Rico) . Other recommended non science courses includes: business, communication, computers, foreign language, sculpture/art/pottery, 3-D, drafting and pottery. It would be wise to consult the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.

Hi, I just became a member on the forums so I'm still learning to navigate the website and utilize the wealth info that's on here.

I was looking at the doc you attached and I can't seem to figure what the 6/9 or 4/6 or any of the "fractions" mean for the pre-reqs for the schools. What's the meaning of it?

Thanks!

Probably a stupid question but is calculus required or recommended??

Probably a stupid question but is calculus required or recommended??
If you read it carefully, you will not notice that it is required for Harvard and Stony Brook; calc/statistics is also required for Meharry. It is recommended for Western.

Reactions: 1 user

Not the exact thing I found but pretty close. Thanks

In the first post you mentioned biochem is now a requirement....do you mean for most schools because the schools I applied to did not require biochem. For the upcoming cycle starting this June I don't believe biochem is a requirement for all schools....maybe I misunderstood

In the first post you mentioned biochem is now a requirement....do you mean for most schools because the schools I applied to did not require biochem. For the upcoming cycle starting this June I don't believe biochem is a requirement for all schools....maybe I misunderstood
It apparently needed clarification, but when 2/3 of the ds require the course, it is a de facto requirement.

My state university did not offer a lab course for basic biology and I was forced to decline an acceptance from Colorado. They do not count anatomy or physiology lab as a biology lab credit. Be aware that Colorado is serious about the biology lab credit. I had no issues with any other schools.