2016-2017 Baylor Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's what I am thinking about. I think If I don't get accepted to this program, I will not apply again next year and will take the DAT again. Also, I will be looking for a master's program that is online since I have to work full time to support my family. Do you guys know about any program that is online and is accepted by most dental schools?

I work full-time as well and I'm doing my Master's with night classes since my job provides the flexibility! I only go two times a week 6-8:45 but am looking into increasing the number of classes I take to be more competitive! But there are a lot of colleges that offer night classes if that is something that works for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I work full-time as well and I'm doing my Master's with night classes since my job provides the flexibility! I only go two times a week 6-8:45 but am looking into increasing the number of classes I take to be more competitive! But there are a lot of colleges that offer night classes if that is something that works for you![/QUO
Yeah I also work full time as well and am currently just taking a couple science courses online at the same time. Are you from the Dallas area? If so, what are you getting your masters in and where from if you don't mind me asking

That's what I am thinking about. I think If I don't get accepted to this program, I will not apply again next year and will take the DAT again. Also, I will be looking for a master's program that is online since I have to work full time to support my family. Do you guys know about any program that is online and is accepted by most dental schools?

WKU has a completely online non-thesis Master in Biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone thought about doing a AS in dental hygiene? I know that hygienist make a good salary if you are willing to put in the effort. Plus after a few years you can try to get into dental school with the experience you have as a hygienist

Has anyone thought about doing a AS in dental hygiene? I know that hygienist make a good salary if you are willing to put in the effort. Plus after a few years you can try to get into dental school with the experience you have as a hygienist
I'm a RDA as of now and have volunteered doing that, but I now work full time doing real estate for new dentists starting their new practices.....there's nothing quite like looking at what you can't have everyday at work haha. I'll look into WKU though for sure!

I'm a RDA as of now and have volunteered doing that, but I now work full time doing real estate for new dentists starting their new practices.....there's nothing quite like looking at what you can't have everyday at work haha. I'll look into WKU though for sure!
As an RDH if you play your cards right and are willing to work for it you can provide a pretty good living, especially if you go on a production basis vs hourly, its actually really interesting how that works.
The Western Kentucky University online biology degree can be completed roughly in 18 months going full time. Other masters programs that might be good would be in chemistry, more specifically in something dealing with materials, or a masters in biochemistry

Yeah I also work full time as well and am currently just taking a couple science courses online at the same time. Are you from the Dallas area? If so, what are you getting your masters in and where from if you don't mind me asking

I actually live in San Antonio! I'm getting an MS in Biology at Incarnate Word. However, I'm looking into transferring to UTSA because they offer more classes per semester, which would look more competitive for my application. I've heard of some making their own post-bacc and just taking upper division science courses at UTD. Some they recommended to me were genetics, micro and neuro.

Has anyone heard anything? any email?
Haven't heard anything either! Starting to lose hope! But, I'm sure there is something better waiting for us and we should focus on strengthening our app and DAT for new Dental School Application Cycle! Good Luck to everyone

I actually live in San Antonio! I'm getting an MS in Biology at Incarnate Word. However, I'm looking into transferring to UTSA because they offer more classes per semester, which would look more competitive for my application. I've heard of some making their own post-bacc and just taking upper division science courses at UTD. Some they recommended to me were genetics, micro and neuro.
Yeah I've just been taking upper division courses like that while I work. So I guess I'm doing my own type of post-bacc, but I don't really know how effective it really is. I definitely need to get on the phone and ask an admissions officer what they think would benefit my application the most. Yeah...starting to lose hope for this program though, but there is still a little left. Good luck to all and I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.

Yeah I've just been taking upper division courses like that while I work. So I guess I'm doing my own type of post-bacc, but I don't really know how effective it really is. I definitely need to get on the phone and ask an admissions officer what they think would benefit my application the most. Yeah...starting to lose hope for this program though, but there is still a little left. Good luck to all and I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.

Yes it definitely will benefit you so they can look at your individual application and tell you what are your deficit is in! Also making all As in upper division, if you scored less than 21 on DAT it would help to retake and continue volunteering.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As an RDH if you play your cards right and are willing to work for it you can provide a pretty good living, especially if you go on a production basis vs hourly, its actually really interesting how that works.
The Western Kentucky University online biology degree can be completed roughly in 18 months going full time. Other masters programs that might be good would be in chemistry, more specifically in something dealing with materials, or a masters in biochemistry
Did you call the Texas dental schools and ask if that kind of masters program would be acceptable? I've searched these forums and the general consensus is so to steer clear of those online programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call the Texas dental schools and ask if that kind of masters program would be acceptable? I've searched these forums and the general consensus is so to steer clear of those online programs.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing. When is a good time to call and ask an advisor how to improve your application?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. When is a good time to call and ask an advisor how to improve your application?
I would say during business hours. I'm not even going to attempt at a program like that because I pretty much have an idea of what they will say.

I would say during business hours. I'm not even going to attempt at a program like that because I pretty much have an idea of what they will say.
Yeah very true...they do like the classroom setting. I just want to try to get some personalized information on what they think I should do to improve.

Yeah very true...they do like the classroom setting. I just want to try to get some personalized information on what they think I should do to improve.
Yeah definitely just give them a call. You can even talk to your advisor. Be careful with your advisors though. Some, like mine, will try to talk you out of dental school rather than help you get in.

I would say as soon as possible before May that the new cycle starts, once it starts they won't be able to see you if you're applying, conflict of interest.

Well, I spoke to someone in admissions and it was when application cycle had started last year the only reason she spoke to me was because I wasn't applying that cycle.

Yeah I'll get on that. Yeah my school focused primarily on research if you were a BIO degree and they wouldn't know the first thing about applying to dental school.

How do you like there graduate school? I'm getting my M.S. in Biology in Kansas. Following it with my PhD. I have only heard bad things about their optometry school which I know does not particularly mean the entire school is not that great. I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you like there graduate school? I'm getting my M.S. in Biology in Kansas. Following it with my PhD. I have only heard bad things about their optometry school which I know does not particularly mean the entire school is not that great. I'm just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the graduate school, professors build a close relationship with students and they're very knowledgable; But of course bigger universities offer more courses and I feel looks more competitive for Dental Schools. Plus you can do a heavier course load, which looks better.

I work full-time as well and I'm doing my Master's with night classes since my job provides the flexibility! I only go two times a week 6-8:45 but am looking into increasing the number of classes I take to be more competitive! But there are a lot of colleges that offer night classes if that is something that works for you!
Awesome! Where are you doing your Master's?

NVM, saw your post with the answer :)

I already lost hope for this program, anyone else? :( :( If the interviews are in 2 weeks, we should have known already :(

I already lost hope for this program, anyone else? :( :( If the interviews are in 2 weeks, we should have known already :(
Yeah I pretty much have too...which is super unfortunate. I feel like they should interview more than 30 for 16 spots, but that's my opinion idk.

Lost hope too! We should've heard something by now! I agree with you LuckyOne5

Last edited:
Lost hope too! We should've heard something by now! I agree with you LuckyOne5, they should interview more! Then there are some that end up dropping the program because they got in..
Yeah....I'm super bummed out guys. Another year of applying here we come haha

So is mine!
I know I'm soooo nervous as well.
What are you guys wearing?

Originally a suit, but after the email about attire being business casual I guess dress pants and a nice top, possibly with a blazer. How about you?

Originally a suit, but after the email about attire being business casual I guess dress pants and a nice top, possibly with a blazer. How about you?

I have no idea. I have both options available but I'm leaning towards business professional rather than casual just because I think it would be more appropriate.

Can someone who was interviewed today please give us feedback ? ;)

rejection email without an interview! I was expecting it :(

Good Luck to everyone in the new application cycle!

how long you have to stay in the program if accepted? For instance, if I am accepted to dental school next cycle, can I just notice them and leave?

Hey guys, i am applying for this program also. we have a group chat for those who applied on groupme. if anyone wants to join message me your phone number. It's important for us to share info and keep contact.

how long you have to stay in the program if accepted? For instance, if I am accepted to dental school next cycle, can I just notice them and leave?
Its one year and two summers.

also for anyone that is interested I just posted a new thread here on SDN under 2017-2018 Baylor/Texas A&M Post Bacc Program if you guys want to start posting on there so anyone who needs info can see it