-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread
Started by doggydog
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
One of the guys who helped start that program came from UM Columbia, another program he helped start. He did a good job there.Interview offer at Brookdale! It's a new program but seems legit. Anyone know if there's a drawback to going to such a new place? Is it bad for job opportunities? I have no interest in a fellowship, by the way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SDN is not a representative sample.seems like everyone posting their stats has 250+ scores... 😕
SDN is not a representative sample.
SDN is not a representative sample.
seems like everyone posting their stats has 250+ scores... 😕
Probably more this...
than this.
Not sure why people would feel the need to lie about step scores on this thread.
SDN is not a representative sample.
SDN is not a representative sample.
SDN is not a representative sample.
than this.
Not sure why people would feel the need to lie about step scores on this thread.
SDN is mostly made up of neurotic overachievers, myself included.
SDN is mostly made up of neurotic overachievers, myself included.
Well, this week saw the interview invites come to a grinding halt, followed by 7 rejections in a row. I'm not having fun anymore!
Assuming I was doing *ok* getting interviews for a while (so hopefully that means no hidden red flags in my app), do y'all think I can expect to get a couple more before the season is over? Applied to over 100 programs, 8 non-home and non-away invites, 10 rejections so far.
Oh hai! 220s/230s applicant right here!
Assuming I was doing *ok* getting interviews for a while (so hopefully that means no hidden red flags in my app), do y'all think I can expect to get a couple more before the season is over? Applied to over 100 programs, 8 non-home and non-away invites, 10 rejections so far.
seems like everyone posting their stats has 250+ scores... 😕
Oh hai! 220s/230s applicant right here!
Well, this week saw the interview invites come to a grinding halt, followed by 7 rejections in a row. I'm not having fun anymore!
Assuming I was doing *ok* getting interviews for a while (so hopefully that means no hidden red flags in my app), do y'all think I can expect to get a couple more before the season is over? Applied to over 100 programs, 8 non-home and non-away invites, 10 rejections so far.
Oh hai! 220s/230s applicant right here!
I think it has generally slowed down this week (rather than just for you) -- whether because of ACEP hangover or just the gradient intrinsic to a progressing app season, who knows.
Steps 240s, 2 sloes, H/HP in emed, mostly HP/H during third year, solid extracurriculars...sitting on 3 interviews (one from home), 1 wait list, 4 rejections, with 30 programs pending.
Re people not wanting to send out emails...I'm not sure I agree. I don't think there's any harm in sending emails out to those programs you know you would absolutely take the interview, or that you have some sort of connection with already.
Any one have any thoughts about applying to more programs this late in the game?
Re people not wanting to send out emails...I'm not sure I agree. I don't think there's any harm in sending emails out to those programs you know you would absolutely take the interview, or that you have some sort of connection with already.
Any one have any thoughts about applying to more programs this late in the game?
Steps 240s, 2 sloes, H/HP in emed, mostly HP/H during third year, solid extracurriculars...sitting on 3 interviews (one from home), 1 wait list, 4 rejections, with 30 programs pending.
Re people not wanting to send out emails...I'm not sure I agree. I don't think there's any harm in sending emails out to those programs you know you would absolutely take the interview, or that you have some sort of connection with already.
Any one have any thoughts about applying to more programs this late in the game?
If you contact a program, who do you email? The PD, residency coordinator?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
From previous discussions it seems like you can do either. I've personally been told to contact the residency coordinator first, but people on here seem to be having more success when they contact the PD directly.If you contact a program, who do you email? The PD, residency coordinator?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did you have your school upload a new transcript...?Hey guys, I know new SLOE/LOR get updated, but do our transcripts? Like if I took a Peds EM rotation after my transcript was already submitted, would they see if I HP or H it?
Hey guys, I know new SLOE/LOR get updated, but do our transcripts? Like if I took a Peds EM rotation after my transcript was already submitted, would they see if I HP or H it?
If your school uploads a new updated transcript, programs you applied to should get an automatic notification about the update, just like they do for new uploaded letters of rec or Step scores etc.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
thanks !
If your school uploads a new updated transcript, programs you applied to should get an automatic notification about the update, just like they do for new uploaded letters of rec or Step scores etc.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
8 non-home and non-away invites
allow me to play you the world's smallest violin
allow me to play you the world's smallest violin
How are you doing dude? I've been hoping to see you post about hatching that goose egg [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Just wanted to put some info out there for perspective. Step 1 210s, step 2 250s, 4th quartile in 1st and 2nd, picked it up and HP/H all 3rd year rotations, 3 EM rotations that were all P/F, 2 SLOEs 1 LOR. Have 12 interviews at this point and applied to 46 in my region. Not relevant to the most recent convo on this thread but thought it might be worth while for comparison. BTW glad I finally decided to join the forum...thanks for all the great info on here guys/gals.
How are you doing dude? I've been hoping to see you post about hatching that goose egg [emoji4]
+1
allow me to play you the world's smallest violin
I'm really sorry, I did not mean to be insensitive! It's too easy to get wrapped up in my own situation, so thank you for the reality check. I hope things are looking up for you, or at least start to pick up soon. It sounds like this week sucked for a lot of people regardless of how things have been going overall, so fingers crossed next week is better.
Just wanted to put some info out there for perspective. Step 1 210s, step 2 250s, 4th quartile in 1st and 2nd, picked it up and HP/H all 3rd year rotations, 3 EM rotations that were all P/F, 2 SLOEs 1 LOR. Have 12 interviews at this point and applied to 46 in my region. Not relevant to the most recent convo on this thread but thought it might be worth while for comparison. BTW glad I finally decided to join the forum...thanks for all the great info on here guys/gals.
Congrats on an epic Step 2 jump!
to all the folks that were in my pitiful boat with 0-2 interviews. my EM advisor just freaked me out and told me I need to add more apps and send letters.
I honestly am still so confused. If a pink cow came and slapped me in the face, I would be less confused.
I honestly am still so confused. If a pink cow came and slapped me in the face, I would be less confused.
to all the folks that were in my pitiful boat with 0-2 interviews. my EM advisor just freaked me out and told me I need to add more apps and send letters.
I honestly am still so confused. If a pink cow came and slapped me in the face, I would be less confused.
Think about applying to new programs. There are quite a few new ones this year and some that haven't graduated a class yet. If you truly want EM it might be worth it. They are even in desirable places (ie NY, Miami) and would be happy to have AMGs fill their classes.
Thanks ! I'm looking into this but do you know how I find them? other than googling "new em programs"Think about applying to new programs. There are quite a few new ones this year and some that haven't graduated a class yet. If you truly want EM it might be worth it. They are even in desirable places (ie NY, Miami) and would be happy to have AMGs fill their classes.
SLAP!to all the folks that were in my pitiful boat with 0-2 interviews. my EM advisor just freaked me out and told me I need to add more apps and send letters.
I honestly am still so confused. If a pink cow came and slapped me in the face, I would be less confused.
Thanks ! I'm looking into this but do you know how I find them? other than googling "new em programs"
There is Brookdale in N.Y., Kendall Regional in Miami and I think Mount Sinai in Miami beach is also new. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
welp, i suspect that i might have a dirty sloe from my home program based on some awkward interactions with residents during the rotation...the CD tried to airbrush this to me but it became more and more apparent due to the lack of interviews.How are you doing dude? I've been hoping to see you post about hatching that goose egg [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
so i added some more programs, left off that sloe, and got 3 invites almost immediately
honestly kinda bitter at the process and at the way students are evaluated at "passive" subinternships...but just trying to get thru it and match.
not yet thinking about what i'll have to do when november comes and i'm still at 3 invites
sorry for the rant. we all trying to make it and there's plenty of whining to go around 😎
That could become problematic.left off that sloe
Did anyone get their interview date confirmed at NYMC-metro?? The PC hasn't responded to emails or picked up the phone....
Thanks! I worked my butt off for it!Congrats on an epic Step 2 jump!
Thanks ! I'm looking into this but do you know how I find them? other than googling "new em programs"
There's also Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton as well as Riverside Community Hospital (University of California Riverside)
That could become problematic.
Congrats on your three invites, Goose Egg! It sounds like you identified that the issue was a dirty SLOE from your home institution. I'm so sorry. That was a low blow on their behalf.
Know that you are not alone. Based on a close friend's experience last year, you should be prepared to discuss why you didn't include your home SLOE, but there is no need to draw extra attention to it. Three programs are psyched to interview you, and one lucky program is going to end up with a really solid resident.
Did anyone get their interview date confirmed at NYMC-metro?? The PC hasn't responded to emails or picked up the phone....
I didn't hear from them initially but I got their coordinator on the phone on Wed or Thur (forget) and she said she'd been on vacation and that I'd be getting the confirmation early the next week. I'm assuming the same would apply to you.
tell me about it lolThat could become problematic.
And USC-Greenville in Greenville, SC.There's also Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton as well as Riverside Community Hospital (University of California Riverside)
SLAP!
HAHAH did you just make a new account just to slap me?! well I'm touched.
And thanks guys, I just applied to 20 more 😉
Someone (with more know-how than myself) should start a Google doc for EM interviews/stats/etc. There are definitely enough of us. Anesthesia as well as IM have one.
There is Brookdale in N.Y., Kendall Regional in Miami and I think Mount Sinai in Miami beach is also new. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
mt. sinai medical is an old aoa program now registered for acgme, there are a few others on eras like this just have to look for them
welp, i suspect that i might have a dirty sloe from my home program based on some awkward interactions with residents during the rotation...the CD tried to airbrush this to me but it became more and more apparent due to the lack of interviews.
so i added some more programs, left off that sloe, and got 3 invites almost immediately
honestly kinda bitter at the process and at the way students are evaluated at "passive" subinternships...but just trying to get thru it and match.
not yet thinking about what i'll have to do when november comes and i'm still at 3 invites
sorry for the rant. we all trying to make it and there's plenty of whining to go around 😎
Dang man that sucks! This happened to one of my classmates. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and get some invites, but I'd be bitter af too!! Sounds like you're handling it pretty well, I'd be a mess....I mean let's be real, I sort of am anyway, but we're not talking about that right now... 😵
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any disadvantage to interviewing at a program towards the end of the interview season? We're obviously not dealing with a rolling admissions situation here, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that (a) programs will have already made up their minds about their faves by the time I get in there for an interview, or (b) programs may think I'm less excited about them because I've scheduled them so late in the process.
Reality is that I'm going to be stuck with a lot of Jan interviews due to personal scheduling constraints earlier in the season.
Reality is that I'm going to be stuck with a lot of Jan interviews due to personal scheduling constraints earlier in the season.
Shouldn't affect your position on the ultimate rank list, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043998Is there any disadvantage to interviewing at a program towards the end of the interview season? We're obviously not dealing with a rolling admissions situation here, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned that (a) programs will have already made up their minds about their faves by the time I get in there for an interview, or (b) programs may think I'm less excited about them because I've scheduled them so late in the process.
Reality is that I'm going to be stuck with a lot of Jan interviews due to personal scheduling constraints earlier in the season.
Although this publication is old, it has been corroborated on ALiEM by multiple PD's.
Shouldn't affect your position on the ultimate rank list, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11043998
Although this publication is old, it has been corroborated on ALiEM by multiple PD's.
Oh wow, thank you! Wasn't expecting a full-blown publication on the subject, very impressive.
I am presumed to be biased of course but I was once an EM resident in the very first class of a brand new EM residency program. Every single one of my classmates that wanted a fellowship (US, Disaster/Tactical/SWAT, CC) got the fellowship they wanted. I later became a clinical faculty member of that same program and ultimately the PD. 100% of our residents got the fellowship that they wanted (not always necessarily at THE place but THE fellowship). It's EM, not IM, Gen Surg or what not. There tends to be many more fellowship positions than there are EM graduates interested in pursuing such opportunities and presumed "prestige" of university/established programs does not exist as it does for those looking to pursue highly competitive and somewhat limited IM, Gen Surg or what not fellowships. The job market for EM docs is outstanding. It will remain outstanding for years to come. You should have no concern whatsoever. EM is a small world. I have had no problem assisting any of my former residents in securing the job they wanted, in the location they wanted, be it SoCal, NYC, HI, university or community and regardless of the fact that my former program was also somewhat new and not "established." This trend will continue for two reasons, the job market is and will remain outstanding and while this will sound arrogant, there is truth behind it and that is the general sense that if you train in a hardcore county kinda place and/or in a hardcore kinda community like Brooklyn, NY most know that you can handle your $h!t. Any other questions?Interview offer at Brookdale! It's a new program but seems legit. Anyone know if there's a drawback to going to such a new place? Is it bad for job opportunities? I have no interest in a fellowship, by the way.
Question about letters. Its supposedly frowned about to not submit a SLOE from a rotation but if you have 4 letters up already you really can't submit another. Anyone else not submitting a SLOE because of this situation?