2016-2017 UCLA PRIME Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone receive an interview invitation yet? Otherwise, it seems like they're waiting until their deadline of December 17 to start sending interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone receive an interview invitation yet? Otherwise, it seems like they're waiting until their deadline of December 17 to start sending interviews.

It was discussed a couple pages back, but it seems like in they past they have generally interpreted their own deadline more as an "expect it around this time" kind of date.

Does anyone know the average MCAT of those accepted for PRIME? MSAR gives UCLA overall, which I'm sure is influenced by PRIME's numbers, but I'm wondering solely about PRIME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if the PRIME program also uses the MMI interview format? I assume they do since the PRIME interview is also used for Geffen, but wanted to make sure.

Is the Jaws theme song playing faster and faster in anyone else's head as the week goes on?

Reactions: 1 user
Since the 17th is Saturday, hopefully we hear by Friday :nailbiting:

Interview Invite!!!!!!! Hope all you guys hear back soon as well :) Good luck!!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi hi!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got an interview invite just now! So hopefully all of you guys will be hearing super soon too! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi hi!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got an interview invite just now! So hopefully all of you guys will be hearing super soon too! Good luck!

Was it by email or phone call?

II :))))))))) SUPER DUPER STOKED GUYS.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well frankly, those of us who didn't get the II today are waitlisted or rejected. So, uh. This blows.

Dont give up just yet. From past threads, it seems like they dont send out all IIs at once. Some people actually received IIs a few days after they began sending IIs.

Dont give up just yet. From past threads, it seems like they dont send out all IIs at once. Some people actually received IIs a few days after they began sending IIs.
I hope you're right!!! I didn't see it on last years thread though. :(

I hope you're right!!! I didn't see it on last years thread though. :(
It was on 2014-2015 thread. Medical school's way of doing things is not always consistent from year to year so let's keep hoping.

Reactions: 1 users
Feeling pretty hopeless :( If we didn't get an II for PRIME, when will we know if we are considered for regular MD admissions?

Hi hi!

Hi, would you mind letting us know when you completed your APP and secondary APP? I'm wondering if they are basically going through the first completed apps followed by later dates.

Given that last year's thread was 4 pages long and very quiet with only two people reporting an interview on the first day out of 78 sent I wouldn't put too much stock in it all being "over" already. Sit tight, see what happens over the next few days and then when people inevitably withdraw.

I really think the process for reviewing applicants and sending interview invites for UCLA Prime should be tweaked, but hey if it works for them.

Hi, would you mind letting us know when you completed your APP and secondary APP? I'm wondering if they are basically going through the first completed apps followed by later dates.

Hmm, yea could be. So I submitted my primary the 2nd or 3rd week of June, and then got my secondary on July 4th, submitting it on July 8th.

well! hope you're right! :)
Given that last year's thread was 4 pages long and very quiet with only two people reporting an interview on the first day out of 78 sent I wouldn't put too much stock in it all being "over" already. Sit tight, see what happens over the next few days and then when people inevitably withdraw.

I really think the process for reviewing applicants and sending interview invites for UCLA Prime should be tweaked, but hey if it works for them.

Well frankly, those of us who didn't get the II today are waitlisted or rejected. So, uh. This blows.
No I don't think so....they said they'd send out IIs by 12/17. It's only 12/14! Keep your head up.

For those of you who are wondering about the process. There are ONLY three interview dates in early Jan. and they asked us to rank our preferences for those dates and they will confirm an assigned date by Friday. Thus, I don't think there will be more IIs rolling out unless a few of those invited on Tuesday didn't follow their directions or turned down their opportunity. I hope I'm wrong and more of you get IIs though. More spots could also open in early Jan. as people get accepted elsewhere and cancel their interview here. Hang in there, it's likely not over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those of you who are wondering about the process. There are ONLY three interview dates in early Jan. and they asked us to rank our preferences for those dates and they will confirm an assigned date by Friday. Thus, I don't think there will be more IIs rolling out unless a few of those invited on Tuesday didn't follow their directions or turned down their opportunity. I hope I'm wrong and more of you get IIs though. More spots could also open in early Jan. as people get accepted elsewhere and cancel their interview here. Hang in there, it's likely not over yet.

Thanks for ruining my day... jk haha. I don't think we can be on the waiting list if we are not even interviewed. I am still hoping that maybe they will release more II on Dec 17th for those that did not choose to interview, or even more hopeful, just offering the last seats available, like giving some early applicants first choice? haha ionno. Regardless, this was a fun trip and hopefully I will get in somewhere I have already interviewed :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think there might be a waiting list for interview invites, so if people drop out before the three interviews, they pull from the wait list.

I think there might be a waiting list for interview invites, so if people drop out before the three interviews, they pull from the wait list.

Oh gosh, I hope you are right. I really want to stay in LA. But then, I doubt people for this program would give up their spot to interview.

Is this based on what happened in the previous years threads?

So I assume I was rejected from PRIME :( because I checked my portal and saw an interview invite from regular David Geffen. I didn't get an email though. It just showed up on my portal.

So I assume I was rejected from PRIME :( because I checked my portal and saw an interview invite from regular David Geffen. I didn't get an email though. It just showed up on my portal.
Interesting. Just checked mine and nothing.

Nothing here either. I thought I was a good fit. Got interviews with UCSD PRIME, UCSF PRIME and UCLA/Drew. Oh well

Dang... you are good to go then! Hahaha this is pretty much my only shot at med school this cycle, so i am really hoping they give me a shot

Dang... you are good to go then! Hahaha this is pretty much my only shot at med school this cycle, so i am really hoping they give me a shot

I wish it was that simple. But yes, I realize I am very fortunate.

Why is this your only shot? Is your app closed everywhere else you applied? I hope you hear from them, even if it is from waitlist II list.

There should be a decent amount I imagine because by early January a lot of schools have already released 1st, 2nd, and 3rd batches already. So at least a few people will withdraw I imagine.

Last edited:
Maybe my interview invite for regular geffen was a mistake since I didn't receive an email. I guess I will see.
Same, I thought I was a good fit for Prime UCLA since I got an invite from UCSD Prime and Drew/UCLA. Prime UCLA was my top choice but I guess it wasn't meant to be:/.

Maybe my interview invite for regular geffen was a mistake since I didn't receive an email. I guess I will see.
Same, I thought I was a good fit for Prime UCLA since I got an invite from UCSD Prime and Drew/UCLA. Prime UCLA was my top choice but I guess it wasn't meant to be:/.

It will all work out for the best! There is no shortage of opportunities at UCLA for work with the underserved and for a master's so even if you end up doing Geffen only, I'm sure you will find what fulfills you!

I wish it was that simple. But yes, I realize I am very fortunate.

Why is this your only shot? Is your app closed everywhere else you applied? I hope you hear from them, even if it is from waitlist II list.

There should be a decent amount I imagine because by early January a lot of schools have already released 1st, 2nd, and 3rd batches already. So at least a few people will withdraw I imagine.

Sorry I meant to say that those interviews will be a weight off your shoulders. But yeah, regardless, I wish you get a chance at this school if you really want to go there.

After doing an honest self assesment of my application and cycle so far (with may be a bit of panicking ), this is prob my only chance. I still have some more schools to hear back from, but in all honestly, they will prob be rejections so my situation is not looking good.

My family and I are hoping I can come back close to home after being away for 7 years

Sorry I meant to say that those interviews will be a weight off your shoulders. But yeah, regardless, I wish you get a chance at this school if you really want to go there.

After doing an honest self assesment of my application and cycle so far (with may be a bit of panicking ), this is prob my only chance. I still have some more schools to hear back from, but in all honestly, they will prob be rejections so my situation is not looking good.

My family and I are hoping I can come back close to home after being away for 7 years

Oh I wish you all the best. Hope you get to be with your family! Stay positive. Do you have any updates for those schools? Fingers crossed good news soon.

So if my portal is still blank in the interview section, is it safe to assume that's a rejection? Or does that mean I'm on the waiting list like someone mentioned earlier.