2016-2017 UCLA PRIME Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you check out the regular DGSOM application thread, pre-II rejections already came out to folks who didn't apply PRIME. Perhaps it isn't soo bad that we applied PRIME....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Quote from somebody on regular Geffen thread:

Hey guys, quick update: I called and they told me that all decisions for PRIME have already been made and are being sent out. At this point they are finished with the PRIME. For students who also applied for the MD only program, those applications are still being reviewed. The students who were passed on for PRIME are not necessarily looked at after all the MD applicants. So, I guess there really isn't a downside to applying to PRIME but I could be wrong.. Hopefully this is comforting to some of you... :/ I'm still waiting on a secondary so I guess I probably should give up at this point but then I'm somehow still hopeful if applications are still being reviewed....

Members don't see this ad :)
Quote from somebody on regular Geffen thread:

Hey guys, quick update: I called and they told me that all decisions for PRIME have already been made and are being sent out. At this point they are finished with the PRIME. For students who also applied for the MD only program, those applications are still being reviewed. The students who were passed on for PRIME are not necessarily looked at after all the MD applicants. So, I guess there really isn't a downside to applying to PRIME but I could be wrong.. Hopefully this is comforting to some of you... :/ I'm still waiting on a secondary so I guess I probably should give up at this point but then I'm somehow still hopeful if applications are still being reviewed....

Wait, wait, wait...decisions for *interviews* have been made or *final* (post-interview) decisions have been made for PRIME? Can you please clarify?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, wait, wait...decisions for *interviews* have been made or *final* (post-interview) decisions have been made for PRIME? Can you please clarify?

Prime interviews were completed on Jan 8th. I think it's safe that those decisions are done. Post interview decisions for acceptance into prime have been made.

If you check out the regular DGSOM application thread, pre-II rejections already came out to folks who didn't apply PRIME. Perhaps it isn't soo bad that we applied PRIME....

I applied to PRIME and was rejected from DGSOM few days ago lol

I applied to PRIME and was rejected from DGSOM few days ago lol

Closure!

I haven't had any communication whatsoever. And the portal is blank for interview and decision.

PRIME interviews were completed on the 14th of Jan, we were told we would hear back by end of Feb beginning March.

Reactions: 3 users
I am assuming no one who interviewed has heard back yet?

I am assuming no one who interviewed has heard back yet?

Lol. Nope, it's not the "end of February/beginning of March yet" (translation: mid march). Just gotta be patient.

I really wish PRIME would make their application process more transparent (and require acceptance into the regular MD program before being considered for PRIME like other programs do so that it didn't feel like applying to the PRIME program puts acceptance into DG at risk..but I digress).

Just confirming what @WhittyPsyche and others above have said: at my PRIME interview day someone asked about this specifically and we were told that if we were rejected from PRIME they would then pass on our application to DG admissions who will then decide if they want to accept you or not. There isn't an additional DG interview, they will use your PRIME interview performance instead. They also said that they would try to speed up the process this year so that PRIME rejects (damn that sounds harsh) would be passed on to DG sooner.If accepted into PRIME we should expect notification on or before March 1st. All this to say that if you applied to PRIME and received a DG interview, you were no longer being considered for PRIME.

Does anyone know what happens if you get accepted into PRIME and then decide to do the regular MD program instead? Just curious.

Replying to my own post (pathetic, such is my life).

I think you can choose the regular MD program if you are no longer interested in PRIME once you've been accepted by PRIME. My assumption is based on the following info from the FAQ section:

"If I am accepted to UCLA PRIME, does that exclude me from being accepted to the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA ? No, students may be accepted into both programs but in the end the student will decide which one meets their career goals."

Not 100% sure though. I should call lol

I still haven't heard back since submitting my PRIME secondary back in 10/26/2016. Do you think that if I haven't received a Pre-II rejection yet that I still have a chance to interview here? Or are they no longer sending out interviews?

Unfortunately, you have NO chance of interviewing for PRIME at this point. Interviews were only in January. You may still get an interview at the regular UCLA program, as your PRIME app was passed on to them. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are supposed to hear back this week! (post interview peeps only)

SO NERVOUS.

Nice! Where'd u get such valuable intel?

This is what they said to us in person for my interview group when I asked when we would be hearing back. They said "end of February/beginning of March" which to me means starting this week we should be hearing back. AGAIN: SO NERVOUS.

This is what they said to us in person for my interview group when I asked when we would be hearing back. They said "end of February/beginning of March" which to me means starting this week we should be hearing back. AGAIN: SO NERVOUS.
I think that was written sarcasm from SpicyMD LMAO

I decided to email them and ask. They said there was a bit of a delay and they won't be finished sending out acceptances until the end of next week. So look out for calls next week!

I decided to email them and ask. They said there was a bit of a delay and they won't be finished sending out acceptances until the end of next week. So look out for calls next week!

Is "Until the end of next week" actually going to mean at 5pm on Friday? So much anxiety.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a beautiful day for some acceptance phone calls. Why wait till EOD tomorrow? ;)

They are torturing us :/ Today might be the big day folks.

Can you call them this time? I don't wanna sound too desperate. Lol.

Haven't heard anything either...and have been anxiously waiting :/

Anyone call today? I called yesterday, said will just try by 5.

Tbh I'm kinda hesitant to call - I don't want to annoy them lol...I assume at this point decisions might come out Monday :/

Nobody heard anything? I wonder if any calls were made....

It would appear so, unless the people who (may have) heard are holding back on us...

Radio silence. I doubt any movement would happen on a Saturday, right? Another week of this is going to be hard.

Reactions: 2 users
Got the call. Accepted PRIME-DREW. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if we will be notified if we are on the waitlist and not immediately accepted/rejected? Or will you only be notified if you are accepted?

anyone else hear back/get a call? kind of just want some response :/ not sure if i should call them or something...

I emailed Monday morning but no response.
If you interviewed, you should get a response by friday which will either be "you are on the waitlist", "Your application has been sent to the regular pool" or "nah fam"

called today

If you interviewed, you should get a response by friday which will either be "you are on the waitlist", "Your application has been sent to the regular pool" or "nah fam"

called today

Oh okay - thanks for calling. I also e-mailed but got no response yet. So does that mean all the initial calls of acceptance were already made?

Oh okay - thanks for calling. I also e-mailed but got no response yet. So does that mean all the initial calls of acceptance were already made?
The person I talked to said "some acceptances were already given out" or something close to it

Thank you for calling! So just confirming, no more acceptance calls will be made? They will just let us know whether we were passed onto undifferentiated MD or waitlisted right?

If we're passed to regular MD, when would we find out if we got in?

Rejected at UCLA PRIME :( I hope I get in to regular UCLA.

Rejected at UCLA PRIME :( I hope I get in to regular UCLA.
Same here. Does your status portal reflect information under the interview and the transcript sections? It concerns me because mine does not and people in the DGSOM thread have been finding out decision reslts via the portal.

Same here. Does your status portal reflect information under the interview and the transcript sections? It concerns me because mine does not and people in the DGSOM thread have been finding out decision reslts via the portal.
+1

I got an email yesterday (3/15) saying I'm still being considered for UCLA PRIME. Not sure what that really means...but it's got me hanging on with a shred of hope. Anyone else get a similar email?

also rejected from PRIME - being considered for regular admission to DGSOM. :/ and my status portal is blank for interview and transcript sections as well