2016-2017 UCLA PRIME Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me. Assuming we'll get rejections Monday or maybe a lucky few will get waitlisted.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm really curious to know how this affects our chances with the regular MD program. In other words, did not getting a PRIME interview screw our chances for an interview with the regular MD program bevause its so late?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That's what I'm thinking. I'm really curious to know how this affects our chances with the regular MD program. In other words, did not getting a PRIME interview screw our chances for an interview with the regular MD program bevause its so late?

It shouldn't. They've said they'll just hand those apps over to the regular DGSOM program soon to be reviewed for their regular program. Relative to their regular applicant pool for the DGSOM, it's not that many PRIME apps, and especially not many who got secondaries and didn't get IIs, so they'll prolly be able to get through them relatively quickly. Don't worry too much.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
It kind of makes me wonder if its because not enough people replied back by the deadline for their preferred interview date. So they dont want to give us a response yet because they are still waiting on those people(?)

I think if you haven't heard back yet by now, they have passed along your app to DGSOM, that's probably why the portal seems empty

It kind of makes me wonder if its because not enough people replied back by the deadline for their preferred interview date. So they dont want to give us a response yet because they are still waiting on those people(?)

Highly doubt that's the case. I'd say the opposite, because everyone or close to everyone replied by the deadline, they're not opening many more spots. I know a few people who got IIs and we all responded almost immediately. People would be silly to pass up the opportunity, which unfortunately doesn't help those of you who are still waiting to get one.

I think if you haven't heard back yet by now, they have passed along your app to DGSOM, that's probably why the portal seems empty

See this is what i would like to believe, but on the website it says that you will get an interview for PRIME if you are deemed "acceptable" for both PRIME & DGSOM programs. From this I inferred that they already had both committees look at our apps before they made the decision as to who to invite for interviews. So those who did not get the PRIME interviews were to be waitlisted or rejected.

Now the other possibility is that since we got secondaries for both (as a PRIME secondary includes the DGSOM and that to a certain extend makes us "desirable" to a certain extend given over 10k applications get in), but we did not get a PRIME II, they sent the application back to DGSOM to re-review one more time to see if the committee over there wanted to send an invite to any of us. This would make sense since they said that we were going to hear back by the 18th and since they need to get back to the rest of us asap.

Anyone wants to try giving them a call?

Highly doubt that's the case. I'd say the opposite, because everyone or close to everyone replied by the deadline, they're not opening many more spots. I know a few people who got IIs and we all responded almost immediately. People would be silly to pass up the opportunity, which unfortunately doesn't help those of you who are still waiting to get one.

Yeah I was just being dellusional hahaha the suspense is making me a bit restless

See this is what i would like to believe, but on the website it says that you will get an interview for PRIME if you are deemed "acceptable" for both PRIME & DGSOM programs. From this I inferred that they already had both committees look at our apps before they made the decision as to who to invite for interviews. So those who did not get the PRIME interviews were to be waitlisted or rejected.

Now the other possibility is that since we got secondaries for both (as a PRIME secondary includes the DGSOM and that to a certain extend makes us "desirable" to a certain extend given over 10k applications get in), but we did not get a PRIME II, they sent the application back to DGSOM to re-review one more time to see if the committee over there wanted to send an invite to any of us. This would make sense since they said that we were going to hear back by the 18th and since they need to get back to the rest of us asap.

Anyone wants to try giving them a call?

People rejected from PRIME have been getting DGSOM IIs all season. I think the people left now are on waitlist for PRIME or in DGSOM review. And the rest will get rejected when both committees are done.

Just have to wait and find out which group we fall into.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't received a rejection/waitlist for interview so I am guessing they do silent rejections or wait until July.

For those who got IIs already, is your interview row still blank on the PRIME status page?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got IIs already, is your interview row still blank on the PRIME status page?

No. my prime and regular geffen status page look exactly the same. It said request under interview and the date the invite was made. It asked for my preferred weekdays to interview and dates that I am unavailable. After I submitted that it says view under interview status, where I could click to see what preferred weekdays I requested. But the letter that went along with the interview request was for the regular Geffen.

I emailed the PRIME office yesterday asking for my status, since my page was totally blank and I didn't get an interview invite. Here is what they sent me

"The PRIME Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application, and regretfully, we must inform you that you were not granted an interview to UCLA PRIME. Unfortunately, we could not accommodate all of the hundreds of applicants who have the desire and ability to succeed in UCLA PRIME because of the limited number of positions in the program. From your personal history and academic record, I am sure that you have a promising future and will certainly contribute much to the health status of communities.

We have provided all names that were not considered for a UCLA PRIME interview back to the regular DGSOM undifferentiated MD program. Your application will be considered for an interview by the regular UCLA MD program once the new year starts."

So I'm guessing everyone else who didn't get an interview and has a blank status page is in the same boat as me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I emailed the PRIME office yesterday asking for my status, since my page was totally blank and I didn't get an interview invite. Here is what they sent me

The PRIME Admissions Committee has carefully reviewed your application, and regretfully, we must inform you that you were not granted an interview to UCLA PRIME. Unfortunately, we could not accommodate all of the hundreds of applicants who have the desire and ability to succeed in UCLA PRIME because of the limited number of positions in the program. From your personal history and academic record, I am sure that you have a promising future and will certainly contribute much to the health status of communities.

We have provided all names that were not considered for a UCLA PRIME interview back to the regular DGSOM undifferentiated MD program. Your application will be considered for an interview by the regular UCLA MD program once the new year starts.

So I'm guessing everyone else who didn't get an interview and has a blank status page is in the same boat as me.

Thanks for this. They could have sent this to everyone though, would be a lot more helpful to applicants... and a lot more professional.

Thanks for this. They could have sent this to everyone though, would be a lot more helpful to applicants... and a lot more professional.

Yes the fact that they have left people in the dark is really unprofessional. I don't understand why they didn't send this to everyone especially because it started with Dear PRIME applicant and didn't even include my name.

Yes the fact that they have left people in the dark is really unprofessional. I don't understand why they didn't send this to everyone especially because it started with Dear PRIME applicant and didn't even include my name.

Right. It already seems prepared and "egg-shell cautious" fit for a mass rejection letter.
The fact that we will go into consideration for DGSOM in January is disconcerting. The procedure needs to be redone with concurrent evaluations like the other UCs.

Does anyone know if a lot of people in the past few years got DGSOM interviews after getting rejected from PRIME?

Any other female interviewing on Jan 8 for UCLA PRIME want to split hotel?

Yup, got an II from PRIME first day interview invites when out and the interview row is still blank.

Any PRIME applicants who didn't get an interview get any updates from DGSOM regarding regular MD admissions? Are we a lost cause for UCLA pretty much?

Any PRIME applicants who didn't get an interview get any updates from DGSOM regarding regular MD admissions? Are we a lost cause for UCLA pretty much?
Yes I originally submitted my secondary for Prime but was rejected from PRIME sometime in December because I was sent an interview invite for regular DGSOM. My interview date is in February. I'm sure more invites will come soon. They finish interviewing in March. It just sucks that we couldn't have interviewed earlier before they send out their first round of acceptances in January.

Yes I originally submitted my secondary for Prime but was rejected from PRIME sometime in December because I was sent an interview invite for regular DGSOM. My interview date is in February. I'm sure more invites will come soon. They finish interviewing in March. It just sucks that we couldn't have interviewed earlier before they send out their first round of acceptances in January.
Oh my. I guess I am in pretty bad shape for UCLA if I haven't received a regular DGSOM II yet as well.

Oh my. I guess I am in pretty bad shape for UCLA if I haven't received a regular DGSOM II yet as well.
No I don't think so. I was just probably passed along from PRIME earlier than other people so DGSOM could review my app before the winter break. I would think more people will definitely get II

I honestly don't know what advantage we would possess after being rejected from prime.. seems like a screen in itself. I think at this point those with the highest grades may most likely receive invites.

I honestly don't know what advantage we would possess after being rejected from prime.. seems like a screen in itself. I think at this point those with the highest grades may most likely receive invites.

I don't believe this is true. Prime's criteria is very specific AND they only Interview 70 people iirc. So doesn't really equate. Highest grades doesn't signify best fit for the program so I highly doubt they would invite in that way PRIME or no PRIME.

I'm not holding onto hope here myself, in thrilled with how the cycle has turned out so far and would realistically only accept an interview that I could do at the same time as my other UCs at the end of the month, but sounds like they are interviewing in Feb already so I wouldn't be able to attend that anyway.

You don't hear from PRIME after DGSOM. Hearing from DGSOM signifies being passed for PRIME.

So I heard back
And they have confirmed with me that there is a separate interview for UCLA PRIME program

Unrelated, but I found this on their site:

"Will applying to UCLA PRIME affect my the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLAapplication?

Applicants who apply to DGSOM and select the MD-Graduate program option will be screened for both DGSOM and UCLA PRIME program. If the applicant is acceptable for both DGSOM and UCLA PRIME, an offer to interview will be extended. If the applicant is not acceptable for UCLA PRIME, they may still be offered an interview for the MD program."

Source: http://medschool.ucla.edu/prime-program-faqs

So I heard back
And they have confirmed with me that there is a separate interview for UCLA PRIME program

"Will applying to UCLA PRIME affect my the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLAapplication?

Applicants who apply to DGSOM and select the MD-Graduate program option will be screened for both DGSOM and UCLA PRIME program. If the applicant is acceptable for both DGSOM and UCLA PRIME, an offer to interview will be extended. If the applicant is not acceptable for UCLA PRIME, they may still be offered an interview for the MD program."

Yeah, but I think the point is that if you got a DGSOM interview before hearing from PRIME, you were passed up by PRIME. Which checks out given the PRIME interviews are all happening this month and were handed out last month. And also, is basically stated in what you quoted

So I heard back

You just put two different thing in that post. A PRIME interview satisfies both Geffen and PRIME. You don't get an interview for Geffen before PRIME. According to their own website and previos posters, and previous years, you get a Geffen interview after being considered for Geffen if PRIME passes on your application.

Applicants don't interview with Geffen then later interview with PRIME. Admissions already confirmed this and there are a few poster in the Geffen thread that applied PRIME, were passed on and subsequently got Geffen interviews. They are not still being considered for PRIME. Again, it's subsequent.

Alrighty ladies and gents, last day for interviews tomorrow. Good luck everyone!!

So does anybody know the tentative timeline for when we should hear back?

anyone recently rejected from prime get a geffen II yet?

+3

I feel like they will want to decide how many people they interviewed for PRIME they want to extend geffen acceptances to first. :/ Regretting applying PRIME a bit.. the timing on this all is horrible.
During the interview, we were told that dgsom has only had 2 rounds of acceptances so if you don't get into PRIME atleast you technically interviewed for dgsom also. waiting sucks but hang in there. you wont regret applying to PRIME once you get that acceptance. :)

I didn't get an interview for PRIME. My comment was regarding if and how many DGSOM acceptances might be extended to people that did interview for PRIME.. and my thoughts on that maybe (? Who knows?) having an impact on how many PRIME rejects get DGSOM interview offers. Tough to be thrown into the general DGSOM pile so late in the game, as others have commented as well, which is why I kind of regret applying PRIME. (Felt like you didn't really understand my post :) )

I didn't get an interview for PRIME. My comment was regarding if and how many DGSOM acceptances might be extended to people that did interview for PRIME.. and my thoughts on that maybe (? Who knows?) having an impact on how many PRIME rejects get DGSOM interview offers. Tough to be thrown into the general DGSOM pile so late in the game, as others have commented as well, which is why I kind of regret applying PRIME. (Felt like you didn't really understand my post :) )
Ahh.. Definitely misunderstood your previous post. Assuming the question hasnt been asked on the dgsom forum,Maybe they can better answer on who among them applied for PRIME and got II for dgsom. I hope you hear from the school soon. good luck!

You don't hear from PRIME after DGSOM. Hearing from DGSOM signifies being passed for PRIME.

That may not be quite the case - at my September interview for the regular MD program, I was still being considered for PRIME. But this would definitely be a question to follow up on.

That may not be quite the case - at my September interview for the regular MD program, I was still being considered for PRIME. But this would definitely be a question to follow up on.
I really wish PRIME would make their application process more transparent (and require acceptance into the regular MD program before being considered for PRIME like other programs do so that it didn't feel like applying to the PRIME program puts acceptance into DG at risk..but I digress).

Just confirming what @WhittyPsyche and others above have said: at my PRIME interview day someone asked about this specifically and we were told that if we were rejected from PRIME they would then pass on our application to DG admissions who will then decide if they want to accept you or not. There isn't an additional DG interview, they will use your PRIME interview performance instead. They also said that they would try to speed up the process this year so that PRIME rejects (damn that sounds harsh) would be passed on to DG sooner.If accepted into PRIME we should expect notification on or before March 1st. All this to say that if you applied to PRIME and received a DG interview, you were no longer being considered for PRIME.

Does anyone know what happens if you get accepted into PRIME and then decide to do the regular MD program instead? Just curious.

I really wish PRIME would make their application process more transparent (and require acceptance into the regular MD program before being considered for PRIME like other programs do so that it didn't feel like applying to the PRIME program puts acceptance into DG at risk..but I digress).

Just confirming what @WhittyPsyche and others above have said: at my PRIME interview day someone asked about this specifically and we were told that if we were rejected from PRIME they would then pass on our application to DG admissions who will then decide if they want to accept you or not. There isn't an additional DG interview, they will use your PRIME interview performance instead. They also said that they would try to speed up the process this year so that PRIME rejects (damn that sounds harsh) would be passed on to DG sooner.If accepted into PRIME we should expect notification on or before March 1st. All this to say that if you applied to PRIME and received a DG interview, you were no longer being considered for PRIME.

Does anyone know what happens if you get accepted into PRIME and then decide to do the regular MD program instead? Just curious.

I think they should 100% pass on the rejected PRIME apps to DG sooner than they do. As of now it seems as though if you aren't given a PRIME interview, its the same as completing your DG secondary in December which is insane. That, combined with the fact that the PRIME admissions committee didn't tell us we were actually rejected for PRIME (without us emailing them), has really left a bitter taste in my mouth as I feel like they could handle all of this a lot better.

Reactions: 2 users
I think they should 100% pass on the rejected PRIME apps to DG sooner than they do. As of now it seems as though if you aren't given a PRIME interview, its the same as completing your DG secondary in December which is insane. That, combined with the fact that the PRIME admissions committee didn't tell us we were actually rejected for PRIME (without us emailing them), has really left a bitter taste in my mouth as I feel like they could handle all of this a lot better.

Never got a rejection here. The whole process is unprofessional.

Has anyone that interviewed for PRIME been accepted or rejected yet? Thanks!