* 2016-2017 URM Medical School Application Thread *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAMCAM1990

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All URM !!!! Applying to MD or DO for matriculation in Fall 2017??? This is for all those who are, to form a support group that will keep us motivated and motivated other URM coming after us !!
Tells us about yourself, your stats and schools you looking into applying to... LETS DO THIS :):soexcited::welcome::banana:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
It's been a year already? Time sure flies by. Best of luck to you OP and everyone else in this upcoming cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
Hey Fellow URMers,

I am still going through this turmoil of a process. Once I finally select a school then I will come here more frequently.

Believe you can do it! Don't let negative ppl bring you down. Keep an open mind and know HE will never fail you ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Omggg this year has passed by so quickly yet so slowly (you will understand what I mean lol) good luck you guys, stay confident!!! Have any specific questions, pm me.

Reactions: 5 users
Best wishes to all applying this cycle!! You've made it this far, keep pushing and praying!

PM me with any questions/concerns, anxieties, or if you need an outlet just to vent.

And whenever it gets tough or you get discouraged, just remember..there's always someone in your corner (myself included) that will be cheering you on!
:highfive::soexcited::clap::claps::biglove::banana::laugh::nod:

Reactions: 5 users
Best wishes to all applying this cycle!! You've made it this far, keep pushing and praying!

PM me with any questions/concerns, anxieties, or if you need an outlet just to vent.

And whenever it gets tough or you get discouraged, just remember..there's always someone in your corner (myself included) that will be cheering you on!
:highfive::soexcited::clap::claps::biglove::banana::laugh::nod:
I second this whole post! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone! Hope to be classmates with you all :) I'M SO EXCITED.

I am a traditional AA female student, I am passionate about serving underserved communities. I have research, community service, leadership, and employment under my belt! I have no publications but I will be working over the summer and will be publishing my findings, so that's exciting! I have a low gpa but hope to balance it out with a high MCAT. I have been scoring 512 and above so far, so we'll see.

I plan to apply to 20 schools including IS and my dream schools U Pitt, U Mich, Vanderbilt, U Chicago, Emory, Jefferson, Rochester, etc. I have secured strong LORs, have a strong PS, and hope to start pre-writing after finals and MCAT. I am looking forward to applying this cycle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
WOW a year already!!!! A year ago I was studying for the MCAT and gathering all my application materials and basically freaking out all around lol. Please feel free to PM me with absolutely anything- I also applied to TX so any questions with their process I can try to answer! Hispanic, female, attending TX MD school.

Good luck everyone! Pray and have faith in this emotional rollercoaster of a process!

Reactions: 1 user
:soexcited:Just checking in . Have you guys submitted your AMCAS for next cycle???? Let's talk and get the cycle rolling

Just so you know, there is a thread like this in the URM forum.

So excited for this cycle. Best of luck to everyone!

Good luck to everyone! Hope to be classmates with you all :) I'M SO EXCITED.

I am a traditional AA female student, I am passionate about serving underserved communities. I have research, community service, leadership, and employment under my belt! I have no publications but I will be working over the summer and will be publishing my findings, so that's exciting! I have a low gpa but hope to balance it out with a high MCAT. I have been scoring 512 and above so far, so we'll see.

I plan to apply to 20 schools including IS and my dream schools U Pitt, U Mich, Vanderbilt, U Chicago, Emory, Jefferson, Rochester, etc. I have secured strong LORs, have a strong PS, and hope to start pre-writing after finals and MCAT. I am looking forward to applying this cycle.

Best of luck!! Let's do this!!! :highfive:

Members don't see this ad :)
just found last year's thread today... y'all were so positive and I'm glad most of y'all got in. Applying this year to TX schools hoping I can finally achieve a goal that I've had for so long.

Hello Everyone!

I am an applicant from the 2016-2017 cycle, who was waitlisted at 2 schools. GPA: 3.4, MCAT 1st time: 503, 2nd time : 501, so that was likely my huge deterrent. I wish I had known threads like this existed when I was applying, it would have been great to have all this support. I am gearing to reapply because I don't want to bank on getting off waitlists even though I'm still praying.

For anyone on here who has been waitlisted or is has reapplied before, I would love some advice.

Background about me : African female, very interested in public health disparities.

Non school stuff: I love working out, music, Netflix ( Currently watching Grey's anatomy) and listening to my favorite podcast- The Read.

Hello Everyone!

I am an applicant from the 2016-2017 cycle, who was waitlisted at 2 schools. GPA: 3.4, MCAT 1st time: 503, 2nd time : 501, so that was likely my huge deterrent. I wish I had known threads like this existed when I was applying, it would have been great to have all this support. I am gearing to reapply because I don't want to bank on getting off waitlists even though I'm still praying.

For anyone on here who has been waitlisted or is has reapplied before, I would love some advice.

Background about me : African female, very interested in public health disparities.

Non school stuff: I love working out, music, Netflix ( Currently watching Grey's anatomy) and listening to my favorite podcast- The Read.
Hi!

First I must say that I think you mean to post in the other URM 2016-2017 thread that has over 1000+ posts.

Secondly, I can totally relate to you as I applied to medical school three times and have multiple mcat scores on file (ouch!)

My 1st application cycle I actually retook the MCAT and my score went down as well which killed my whole app that season.

My second time around, nothing changed except a very slight increase in my mcat score and I was unsuccessful. I took a year off from applying between my 2nd and 3rd cycles and had great experiences during my gap year and increased my mcat score.

May I ask why you decided to retake with a 503? That score combined with a 3.4 and AA URM with a well thought out school list is perfectly fine IMO as long as the rest of you app was good. Did you retake the mcat and receive the second score during the app season?

I posted both places, I actually posted here as well because of the high chance I might need to reapply this year if I don't get in.

As for score going down :(, I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to- it truly sucks.

I'm not really sure why I retook it, I wish I had applied super early with that score instead of retaking it.
Hi!

First I must say that I think you mean to post in the other URM 2016-2017 thread that has over 1000+ posts.

Secondly, I can totally relate to you as I applied to medical school three times and have multiple mcat scores on file (ouch!)

My 1st application cycle I actually retook the MCAT and my score went down as well which killed my whole app that season.

My second time around, nothing changed except a very slight increase in my mcat score and I was unsuccessful. I took a year off from applying between my 2nd and 3rd cycles and had great experiences during my gap year and increased my mcat score.

May I ask why you decided to retake with a 503? That score combined with a 3.4 and AA URM with a well thought out school list is perfectly fine IMO as long as the rest of you app was good. Did you retake the mcat and receive the second score during the app season?

Well I might as well check into this thread as traffic day is among us. URM here, low (read: trash tier) GPA high MCAT. Got 2 acceptances. Still kind of stunned with myself.

I posted both places, I actually posted here as well because of the high chance I might need to reapply this year if I don't get in.

As for score going down :(, I'm glad I'm not the only one this happened to- it truly sucks.

I'm not really sure why I retook it, I wish I had applied super early with that score instead of retaking it.
When did you submit your primary app and when were you marked complete at most of your schools?

The year my score went down I had one interview and was waitlisted and didn't make it off the waitlist.

You still have a chance of getting off one of your waitlists though. Do the schools accept letter of interests, updates, or extra letters of recommendation to those still on the waitlists.

Do you plan to take the mcat again?

PM me if you want more detailed advice. :)