2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also put in the "alternate category." Interviewed 10/28. Not sure how I feel.
I'm in the same boat. Interviewed 10/24. Waited so long for this news.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also put in the "alternate category." Interviewed 10/28. Not sure how I feel.
Same. Im not too surprised because of how many people they waitlist.
They also have one of the higher amounts of waitlist acceptances in the country, though. People have been accepted off the waitlist on just about every decision date, and not just the end of the cycle. Im pretty optimistic about it, I'm just frustrated because I was hoping to have an acceptance in hand before Xmas.
Now I have over a month to wait before I get a decision on my last interview :/

Alternate list! Aghhh. Can this process just be over already..

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So acceptances were all sent on Friday, and waitlisted people were notified today? Hmm interesting

Alternate category. interview 10/17. I know everyone says there's a lot of movement off the waitlist but the concept of not knowing is the worst.

Reactions: 1 users
Can confirm that Wayne's waitlist moves quickly- I was waitlisted the last round and was admitted this round.

Also, can't confirm this but heard from a current student that even if your interviewer wasn't at the meeting, they like to send out a decision to every applicant. So you can sometimes be "waitlisted" only because your interviewer wasn't present.

Reactions: 2 users
Can confirm that Wayne's waitlist moves quickly- I was waitlisted the last round and was admitted this round.

Also, can't confirm this but heard from a current student that even if your interviewer wasn't at the meeting, they like to send out a decision to every applicant. So you can sometimes be "waitlisted" only because your interviewer wasn't present.

I had a theory close to this...figured everyone HAS to get some sort of decision. I'm still curious why it seems people with the same interview dates seemed to get the same decision.

Waitlisted, interviewed 10/28

Reactions: 1 user
Were there any acceptances from 11/7? I'm on the alternate list. Also does anyone know how the alt. works at Wayne?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone feel like they messed up the interview?

It seems most people after interview days are feeling pretty good. Just makes me wonder how much post interview feelings correlate with acceptance/rejections?

Anyone from November 4 gotten any news?

Also, for those who got waitlisted, what does your portal say? I got a waitlist email just now, but my portal still says Med School Invite to Interview (MV) for Admission Decision. Is this normal for everyone waitlisted or does it just take a few days to change?

It seems most people after interview days are feeling pretty good. Just makes me wonder how much post interview feelings correlate with acceptance/rejections?
I thought my interview went really well. Not sure that I've seen anyone report a "bad" experience interviewing. Tbh, I can't see that happening-- the interviews themselves seemed structured just to get to know you.

Anyone from November 4 gotten any news?

Also, for those who got waitlisted, what does your portal say? I got a waitlist email just now, but my portal still says Med School Invite to Interview (MV) for Admission Decision. Is this normal for everyone waitlisted or does it just take a few days to change?

I was accepted on Friday. My portal still says Med School Invite to Interview (MV)

I thought my interview went really well. Not sure that I've seen anyone report a "bad" experience interviewing. Tbh, I can't see that happening-- the interviews themselves seemed structured just to get to know you.
Mine was actually pretty bad! I guess I can't be too shocked by being put on the alternate list.

Interviewed on 10/28 with Patel and still haven't heard anything. Anyone else interview with him? What should I be thinking at this point?

Can the accepted students tell me what their GPA/MCAT was? Or maybe LizzyM if you don't feel comfortable sharing GPA/MCAT. I'm starting to think they just accept based on that, given you had a fairly normal interview

Can the accepted students tell me what their GPA/MCAT was? Or maybe LizzyM if you don't feel comfortable sharing GPA/MCAT. I'm starting to think they just accept based on that, given you had a fairly normal interview
Unlikely. I felt my interview went fairly well but I got waitlisted, and I have a lizzyM of 76.

Pretty sure that's NOT the case, considering my LM is low unless you replace my UG gpa with my post-bac gpa. There's really no rhyme or reason to this, I don't think.

Were you waitlisted? Like I stated earlier, a current student told me they hand a decision to everyone even if their interviewer didn't make it to a meeting- so waitlisted by default until interviewer shows to give a real decision. (If student is correct, anyway).

Pretty sure that's NOT the case, considering my LM is low unless you replace my UG gpa with my post-bac gpa. There's really no rhyme or reason to this, I don't think.

Were you waitlisted? Like I stated earlier, a current student told me they hand a decision to everyone even if their interviewer didn't make it to a meeting- so waitlisted by default until interviewer shows to give a real decision. (If student is correct, anyway).

I interviewed too recently to have gotten a response yet. But I'm OOS and LizzyM is around 69-71. I like this school. I felt good about everything except 2 MMI stations. I hope I get it haha. Are you OOS?

Just want to reiterate that the admissions office here has moved onto a holistic admissions process and "numbers" as a result have been significantly devalued.

Starting from the 2016-2017 cycle, WSU SOM re-evaluated and completely transformed the way they do admissions. Now they send secondaries to everyone that applies, and have an all-inclusive approach to reflect their new mission statement. This is why MMI was implemented.

The medical students that were at my interview all said they were accepted in May and June off of a waitlist, so don't lose hope.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

No I haven't heard anything yet, idk if they are planning on meeting today or what?

Hey guys quick question. Do we need to upload the technical standards and photo in order to complete the app for consideration? Been "in review" since August just curious.

Hey guys quick question. Do we need to upload the technical standards and photo in order to complete the app for consideration? Been "in review" since August just curious.

I did but I doubt it makes a difference pre-interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did. I received an interview invite in less than a week after lol. Maybe it helps them connect with your PS and essays if they match a human face to it.

I did. I received an interview invite in less than a week after lol. Maybe it helps them connect with your PS and essays if they match a human face to it.

Crap. Mine has been sitting since August without them uploaded.

Do you mind sharing your stats?
I'd rather not, sorry. I will say, I'm certain my GPA does me absolutely no favors in this process though. My mcat was 90th+ percentile and I'm a non trad.
Crap. Mine has been sitting since August without them uploaded.

Never uploaded mine was both interviewed and accepted.

Last edited:
I'd rather not, sorry. I will say, I'm certain my GPA does me absolutely no favors in this process though. My mcat was 90th percentile + and I'm a non trad.

Never uploaded mine was both interviewed and accepted.
Phew. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
Been complete since July 20 and its been complete

Just received an email back. They do need to be uploaded in order for the app to be complete:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Just received an email back. They do need to be uploaded in order for the app to be complete:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
Does that mean you have been incomplete this whole time even thought your status was MR?

Does that mean you have been incomplete this whole time even thought your status was MR?

I don't know. My status has been MR since August 31. Would've been nice to receive an email what that actually meant :yeahright::yeahright::D

Christ... My app reads MR and if I'm incomplete, I'm going to be so mad

I don't know. My status has been MR since August 31. Would've been nice to receive an email what that actually meant :yeahright::yeahright::D

MR: Medical School Review

MV: Medical School interView

MA: Medical School Admit:
image.png

U braggin?:laugh:

edit: you found out yesterday???? congrats!

I just wanted to provide proof that I am not speaking out of my a** :).... I found out Friday, but the site was updated just yesterday.

If I were you, I'd remain hopeful and submit an intent letter. The lady told us they interview between 950-1000 people and accept around 500 people for a class of 290. Also, they love to accept people who are really interested in their school and new mission statement. Good luck!

I have not received a phone call or email but this is my status in my portal. Can I celebrate or am I mistaken?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 2.40.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 2.40.07 PM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 153
ive been in MR since july. is it over -_-