2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just wanted to provide proof that I am not speaking out of my a** :).... I found out Friday, but the site was updated just yesterday.

If I were you, I'd remain hopeful and submit an intent letter. The lady told us they interview between 950-1000 people and accept around 500 people for a class of 290. Also, they love to accept people who are really interested in their school and new mission statement. Good luck!
For the letter of intent, do you know whether that should be emailed to them or uploaded on the additional uploads on the app?

Members don't see this ad.

For the letter of intent, do you know whether that should be emailed to them or uploaded on the additional uploads on the app?
I did not submit an intent letter, but I assume it should go under additional uploads. It should probably include your AAMC ID and Name.

I graduated from WSU SOM class of 2016, am now an EM resident. Some of what I can tell you is changing, since the school is revamping their curriculum following the audit for accreditation. However, the biggest thing that brought me to Wayne, and its biggest advantage, is the location. Wayne State is located in the heart of one of the biggest underserved communities in the country. There is no end to the unique pathology you will see here, and you will have a ton of hands-on clinical experience as a student at Wayne State. Pretty much any program familiar with Wayne grads comments on how well prepared we are clinically when we start residency. The most important part of your medical school education will be your clinical exposure, and Wayne State is one of the best schools in the country for clinical exposure.

One of the biggest advantages of the first 2 years for me was lectures being non-mandatory and streamed online. It definitely frees you up to study at your own pace and in your own way when you dont have to be at the school every day from 8 until 4. Unfortunately, i dont know how much that will be changing the next couple years.

Wayne State is a great place to train, though organization of some things is not perfect. I do think, at the end of the day, the clinical exposure more than makes up for bureaucratic failings.
can you comment on the issue with the DMC?

Members don't see this ad :)

Which issue? Contractual dispute with Wayne State Physician Group (which has been resolved), instrument sterilization (they passed the recent inspection and the heat/attention hopefully guarantees they will continue to address this), or something else?

Reactions: 1 user
Does the admissions committee meet to see who will get an interview invite? Will they be sending more out, and if so when ?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

We don't know when they will send out more invites. How could we know that? Lol.
Does the admissions committee meet to see who will get an interview invite? Will they be sending more out, and if so when ?

Anyone know anything about scholarships and how to go about that, for admitted applicants?

We don't know when they will send out more invites. How could we know that? Lol.

Possibly from someone who attends WSU, like a student perhaps, who posts on this forum or someone who knows how the admissions cycle at WSU works...

Possibly from someone who attends WSU, like a student perhaps, who posts on this forum or someone who knows how the admissions cycle at WSU works...

Unlikely for applicants to know or find out in these ways when interview invites might be handed out for any school. Best to just be patient and wait.

Although Wayne sends more invites than other schools, it is unfortunately pretty late in the cycle so the invite frequency has definitely died down. From the last ones sent out though it looks like they're starting to re-review those who submitted early in the cycle for interview invitations.

Which issue? Contractual dispute with Wayne State Physician Group (which has been resolved), instrument sterilization (they passed the recent inspection and the heat/attention hopefully guarantees they will continue to address this), or something else?

I'm guessing you're talking about DMC's contractual "dispute" with WSUPG. When negotiations ended, they quickly resumed the next day and an 18-month extension contract was signed nearly two weeks later. It was over a very small technicality (a non-compete clause dealing with physicians, nothing to do with us students) and my opinion is that it was just a tactical move to create some leverage in WSUSOM's favor. I would wager that negotiations are going well considering Dean Sobel recently wrote in an email that "None [health systems WSUSOM interacts with] have been more influential than the Detroit Medical Center, with whom we have signed a new contract to continue the century-old relationship." in a recent email. The school is literally next door and one isn't going anywhere without the other.

As an addendum, when the "dispute" was still going on, we were told that the Classes of 2020 and 2021 would still have the opportunity to rotate at the DMC since the separate teaching contract would still be active then.

It does, in April. Second Look Day was when I personally made the decision to matriculate here.
Nice! Thanks so much- looking forward to making my way back out to Detroit for it then :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to my dream school. Will most likely be canceling my interview on January 13

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just got accepted to my dream school. Will most likely be canceling my interview on January 13

Having gone through the whole admissions process, I highly encourage you to spread your net as wide as possible. There are factors that don't come to light until later in the process (financial etc) and you might regret later on canceling your interviews. There were interviews that I canceled, that I regretted canceling. And I personally wasn't considering Wayne until I learned more about it at SLD and until they made a scholarship offer that was really hard to turn down. Looking back, the situation couldn't have worked out any better.

Last edited:
Just got a II here! Is this a good school? And as an OOS applicant what are the chances of getting accepted after an interview? Like 50%?

Having gone through the whole admissions process, I highly encourage you to stretch your net as wide as possible. There are factors that don't come to light until later in the process (financial etc) and you might regret later on canceling your interviews. There were interviews that I canceled, that I regretted canceling. And I personally wasn't considering Wayne until I learned more about it at SLD and until they made a scholarship offer that was really hard to turn down. Looking back, the situation couldn't have worked out any better.

Thanks! I'll consider your advice. I am moving with a partner and we are considering all options. I have no connections to Michigan and I am a re-applicant so getting accepted at this other school (where I was waitlisted last year) has been great. But I will think about what you said!

Thanks! I'll consider your advice. I am moving with a partner and we are considering all options. I have no connections to Michigan and I am a re-applicant so getting accepted at this other school (where I was waitlisted last year) has been great. But I will think about what you said!

Just wanted to throw it out there for everyone, since acceptances are coming by!

Can anyone remind me what subscriptions the school buys for you? Was it FA? Pathoma? I'm not even sure if those are things in the right category lol but I hope someone gets what I'm trying to say

When do you guys suspect the next round of offers will be? Still the first week of Jan or the second?

84% of matrics have research experience? Well there goes my chances lol.

When do you guys suspect the next round of offers will be? Still the first week of Jan or the second?

I interviewed recently & we were told next decisions will go out early January, no specifics on the week though. I'm assuming it will be the second week though as the SOM has a winter recess from Dec 22-Jan 3.

Last edited:
84% of matrics have research experience? Well there goes my chances lol.
What you have to do is compare that number to the total number of accepted students at all md schools, and see if it is higher or lower. My guess is since most applicants list research on their applications already, that the 84% number is about average and does not mean you have any special disadvantage at Wayne. I got in for class of 16 with no research and wasn't even asked about a lack of research.

Really wish there was a way to see what "tier" you are on the waitlist.. would be nice to know whether or not there is anything to worry about..

Reactions: 3 users
Really wish there was a way to see what "tier" you are on the waitlist.. would be nice to know whether or not there is anything to worry about..

Yeah especially since rejections haven't gone out yet...

You haven't been waitlisted, but rather been placed on an alternate list. This simply means that the admissions committee is tabling your decision for later. The waitlist isn't compiled until April/May and then the admissions office should be able to tell you how realistic your chances are. I would keep my utmost hopes up and keep the admissions committee updated with any significant updates, especially with a school like Wayne that has been known to accept many students off the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
You haven't been waitlisted, but rather been placed on an alternate list. This simply means that the admissions committee is tabling your decision for later. The waitlist isn't compiled until April/May and then the admissions office should be able to tell you how realistic your chances are. I would keep my utmost hopes up and keep the admissions committee updated with any significant updates, especially with a school like Wayne that has been known to accept many students off the waitlist.

I understand what you are saying. Thank you! I will be sure to keep Wayne updated.

To those accepted, have you made WSU e-mail accounts yet? I haven't yet, wasn't sure if I should wait until later.

To those accepted, have you made WSU e-mail accounts yet? I haven't yet, wasn't sure if I should wait until later.
Mine was made from when I applied to the BMS masters program lol. In fact, the email asking me if I want to accept my spot was sent to my Wayne email and I didn't know it for a couple weeks lol.

Yes. Has an email in there with a form to accept your offer.

There was something that said
-First Choice
-2nd Choice
But there was no question... I selected First Choice cause I assumed it was asking me if WSUSOM is my first choice.

I am a nontraditional applicant with an overall strong application. I received several e-mails from a recruiter of some kind at Wayne State asking me to apply in November. Wayne State was on my long list but I chose to go with another school in my initial round of applications. Is it worth it to go ahead and add them on? It is super late in the cycle, I don't know if I would even be considered at this point. I am just not sure how important those letters were, or if they are something Wayne State often does to a broad group of applicants.

I am a nontraditional applicant with an overall strong application. I received several e-mails from a recruiter of some kind at Wayne State asking me to apply in November. Wayne State was on my long list but I chose to go with another school in my initial round of applications. Is it worth it to go ahead and add them on? It is super late in the cycle, I don't know if I would even be considered at this point. I am just not sure how important those letters were, or if they are something Wayne State often does to a broad group of applicants.
Its your choice, but just know the submission deadline is a couple days away, so its extremely late. I guess it just comes down to whether or not you've got the money to spare.

Thanks, I don't know how to read the letters and whether they mean "you are qualified and would make us look good" or "we don't have enough applicants and are just trying to boost numbers". I'll think about my stats, I think I'm competitive there but I already have interviews.

Thanks, I don't know how to read the letters and whether they mean "you are qualified and would make us look good" or "we don't have enough applicants and are just trying to boost numbers". I'll think about my stats, I think I'm competitive there but I already have interviews.
That same recruiter contacted me and a few others, it means nothing.

How many do you have?

If you have the money than go for it. If there is anything I learned from the medical school admission process, its that there is no rhyme or reason in this process.

I'm interviewing here on Monday morning, does anyone think there's a chance of cancellation based on the snow? I'm supposed to fly in tonight, but I don't want to get stuck there :(

I'm interviewing here on Monday morning, does anyone think there's a chance of cancellation based on the snow? I'm supposed to fly in tonight, but I don't want to get stuck there :(
Lol no, you're good. It's supposed to be 6 to 10 inches, mostly tonight thru tomorrow night. The plows will have plenty of time. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Lol no, you're good. It's supposed to be 6 to 10 inches, mostly tonight thru tomorrow night. The plows will have plenty of time. You'll be fine.
Lol ok that's what I thought, but just wanted to make sure :happy:

Anyone know when the next committee meeting will be? I hope they give decisions before the holidays

Anyone know when the next committee meeting will be? I hope they give decisions before the holidays

On 12/5 admissions said the next decision date would be early January. We were told by multiple people throughout the day that a decision before then is unlikely. One can dream though...

I'm on the waitlist, and I just had a dream that Wayne called me and said they'd remove me from the waitlist if I worked at their dining hall for a month. I actually believed it happened and was looking through my emails and previous calls for evidence when I woke up. I think I have become insane.

Reactions: 7 users
Interviewed here on 11/7, accepted on 12/3

Very excited for this opportunity!

My interview was just canceled for tomorrow morning due to the weather. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have experienced a canceled interview at another school before. They gave us the option of interviewing the very next day or meeting off-site at a hotel that same day to do interviews. I chose the latter and this was all arranged over the phone. Did they not give you any information as to what the rescheduling procedure would be/how they were going to handle it?