2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When were you guys complete at Wayne? That's so strange to not have an interview with those stats :/
Late July.
Y'all shouldn't worry about it too much. Wayne isn't all about the stats. They pick for fit. With those stats, you will all the up somewhere great.
Still searching :(

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think the admissions committee is meeting today since it's first day of the month??
I was wondering the same thing. Not sure if January screwed up their schedule at all but it would be nice if they had another meeting today

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone using the portal to update your file, how are you sending in updates about new grades? I know the portal only accepts PDF's so I wasn't sure if I should just upload an unofficial transcript or an update letter with the transcript attached?

For anyone using the portal to update your file, how are you sending in updates about new grades? I know the portal only accepts PDF's so I wasn't sure if I should just upload an unofficial transcript or an update letter with the transcript attached?
I uploaded a pdf with a table showing my new grades. I don't think they'd want an official transcript for an update as they don't want those from anyone unless they've been accepted.

Does Wayne State reject anyone post-interview without putting them on the waitlist first, or do they only waitlist people that they don't accept?

Does Wayne State reject anyone post-interview without putting them on the waitlist first, or do they only waitlist people that they don't accept?
I think that is the question of the month....still trying to figure this out. According to admissions, yes they are sending out post interview rejections but seems like very few people

I think that is the question of the month....still trying to figure this out. According to admissions, yes they are sending out post interview rejections but seems like very few people
Interesting. I got put on the waitlist a mere 4 days after my interview so I don't know if that's a horrible sign or not...

Interesting. I got put on the waitlist a mere 4 days after my interview so I don't know if that's a horrible sign or not...
I wouldn't give up hope! I've been on the waitlist for 2 months now and I'm still crossing my fingers for some love from this school!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't give up hope! I've been on the waitlist for 2 months now and I'm still crossing my fingers for some love from this school!
Same here. I've been on the waitlist for a month and a half now. I was surprised enough when I got the II so I'd be really lucky to be accepted.

The admissions tracker has been updated:

5579 Applications
954 Interviews requested
740 Interviews completed
328 Admission offers

So theyre probably around half or little under half of their acceptances offered.

Last year they offered 556 admissions (I believe this was after waitlist movement), so they have likely offered more than half of their acceptances. I'd imagine only a handful of more acceptances will be going out before April 30th. Nonetheless, we should all remain hopeful!

Last year they offered 556 admissions (I believe this was after waitlist movement), so they have likely offered more than half of their acceptances. I'd imagine only a handful of more acceptances will be going out before April 30th.
Lol thats highly doubtful. That may be the "official" number, but schools always have ways to fudge their numbers. Whether they dont count waitlist acceptances, or some other means. Ill bet my next 6 months salary that, one way or another, for a class size of 290, they offered well over 556 acceptances.
Its pretty common knowledge that schools generally offer a number of acceptances that is 2-2.5 times the number of seats they have.

Lol thats highly doubtful. That may be the "official" number, but schools always have ways to fudge their numbers. Whether they dont count waitlist acceptances, or some other means. Ill bet my next 6 months salary that, one way or another, for a class size of 290, they offered well over 556 acceptances.
Its pretty common knowledge that schools generally offer a number of acceptances that is 2-2.5 times the number of seats they have.

Let's hope so! Best of luck to you!

Edit: Come to think of it, 556 is 1.92x the number of seats they have. Not too far from the 2-2.5x statistic you mentioned. Regardless, I don't want to overthink anything. I'd rather wait it out and see if the cards fall in my favor.

Wayne finally updated its admissions tracker. New numbers:

5579 Applications
954 Interviews requested
740 Interviews completed
328 Admission offers

Looks like most, if not all, of the IIs have been sent. They had 559 admission offers last year. So there's plenty of more offers to go around. But over 200 interviews have not been completed, and I'm not sure if the 328 offers includes all the completed interviews. If there were interviews after Jan 13, it's probably missing some admission offers. If there weren't after that date then it's up to date.

edit: oops, looks like this was already posted earlier. Didn't see it

Last edited:
I uploaded a pdf with a table showing my new grades. I don't think they'd want an official transcript for an update as they don't want those from anyone unless they've been accepted.

I would personally include an official transcript since it's verified and official. A table wouldn't mean much in the eyes of the adcoms.

I would personally include an official transcript since it's verified and official. A table wouldn't mean much in the eyes of the adcoms.

I doubt it would be an issue. After an acceptance goes out and the applicant sends in their official transcript, admissions double checks everything anyway. If there's a discrepancy then they'll rescind the offer.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What are the odds that might include Feb 6 people?

I'd say its very likely you'll hear something on Feb. 6th. I interviewed Nov. 21, got my acceptance email on Dec. 2nd (people that interviewed in October, got their acceptances on same day as me too! lol).

Wayne finally updated its admissions tracker. New numbers:

5579 Applications
954 Interviews requested
740 Interviews completed
328 Admission offers

Looks like most, if not all, of the IIs have been sent. They had 559 admission offers last year. So there's plenty of more offers to go around. But over 200 interviews have not been completed, and I'm not sure if the 328 offers includes all the completed interviews. If there were interviews after Jan 13, it's probably missing some admission offers. If there weren't after that date then it's up to date.

edit: oops, looks like this was already posted earlier. Didn't see it

I'd say they have closer to a 100 more people to interview. Let's say 50 of those are offered acceptances. That makes the total admissions offer to about 380. After April, around 180 alternate list people will be offered acceptances.

WSU SOM has a tiered alternate list. If you're at the top one, it's extremely likely that you'll get accepted. Good luck!

I'd say its very likely you'll hear something on Feb. 6th. I interviewed Nov. 21, got my acceptance email on Dec. 2nd (people that interviewed in October, got their acceptances on same day as me too! lol).

I'd say they have closer to a 100 more people to interview. Let's say 50 of those are offered acceptances. That makes the total admissions offer to about 380. After April, around 180 alternate list people will be offered acceptances.

WSU SOM has a tiered alternate list. If you're at the top one, it's extremely likely that you'll get accepted. Good luck!

Do they inform you of where you stand in the tiered alternate list?

Do they inform you of where you stand in the tiered alternate list?

They don't, but I've known a couple of people that found out where they were on the list. I think they met with admissions people and went over their app.

So, NO admissions offers for people on the Alternate list untill APRIL 30th ??
That's not necessarily true. I interviewed 10/8, was waitlisted 11/2 and accepted 12/2. It really varies.

Reactions: 1 users
Wayne accepts off the waitlist throughout the cycle, but a vast majority of waitlist offers will come in early May after the multiple-acceptances deadline.

So, NO admissions offers for people on the Alternate list untill APRIL 30th ??

If you're waitlisted and have not heard back by now, it's highly likely to assume that you won't hear until after April.

If you're waitlisted and have not heard back by now, it's highly likely to assume that you won't hear until after April.
There's a good bunch of people who found out their decision on Dec 5th. There was only one decision since then and I don't think they took any WLs then because of the big backlog of interviewees they had.

Yeah. No. Like I've said multiple times, I was only waitlisted for a month before I got an acceptance. As were other people on this thread. A current student also said Wayne pulls throughout the year. No idea why you would make such a blanket statement as if it were fact, but you probably shouldn't without at least something to back it up

anyone know what the chances of getting accepted to this school are as an OOS student after being invited for an interview?

anyone know what the chances of getting accepted to this school are as an OOS student after being invited for an interview?
According to MSAR, last year Wayne interviewed 151 OOS and 50 matriculated. I couldn't find the number of OOS who were admitted post-interview online. So, assuming the statistic of sending out 2-2.5x acceptance offers for every matriculated student, about 100-125 OOS were admitted (assuming the OOS acceptance rate is the same as IS, which could be a fairly big assumption) ... which would give a post-interview acceptance rate of between 66% and 83%. So, pretty shiny but also, considering the assumptions, take that with a giant grain of salt, lol. Regardless, best of luck! :)

On a different note, just spotted on MSAR that 0 international students were interviewed, 2 were deferred, and yet 22 matriculated (0 were listed in the BS/MD program, EDP, and MSTP). Am I missing something? Or how could 20 have matriculated when 0 were interviewed? Just curious so any insight would be much appreciated!

According to MSAR, last year Wayne interviewed 151 OOS and 50 matriculated. I couldn't find the number of OOS who were admitted post-interview online. So, assuming the statistic of sending out 2-2.5x acceptance offers for every matriculated student, about 100-125 OOS were admitted (assuming the OOS acceptance rate is the same as IS, which could be a fairly big assumption) ... which would give a post-interview acceptance rate of between 66% and 83%. So, pretty shiny but also, considering the assumptions, take that with a giant grain of salt, lol. Regardless, best of luck! :)

On a different note, just spotted on MSAR that 0 international students were interviewed, 2 were deferred, and yet 22 matriculated (0 were listed in the BS/MD program, EDP, and MSTP). Am I missing something? Or how could 20 have matriculated when 0 were interviewed? Just curious so any insight would be much appreciated!

Pretty sure the international interview numbers were mixed in with the OOS Interviews. Could be wrong though.

There are several schools in MSAR this year that show 0 internationals interviewed and then have some number greater than 0 for matriculated. I think the international interviews on MSAR just got a little screwed up this year.

Btw for the knterview do we need to bring in a photo of ourselves or do they just take a picture of us before the day starts?

There are several schools in MSAR this year that show 0 internationals interviewed and then have some number greater than 0 for matriculated. I think the international interviews on MSAR just got a little screwed up this year.
Ah, okay, thanks! :)

Btw for the knterview do we need to bring in a photo of ourselves or do they just take a picture of us before the day starts?
They took a photo of everyone on interview day. I don't think they requested one beforehand, so you should be good.

Wayne offered 211 spots to OOS students last year, according to its website. That's a lot of people. And MSAR's data is I think a year behind, because it shows they only interviewed 151 people. So they must've interviewed much more OOS students last year.

There are definitely some discrepancies in the data between what Wayne is reporting and what MSAR reports. There are undoubtedly more than 50 OOS students in my class (especially if you include internationals). According to our orientation lecture at the beginning of the year the class of 2020 has 69 OOS students (20 from CA and the other states with 1-9 representing them) and 59 international students (from 32 countries, 9 from Canada). That means that 128/290 students are not from Michigan. Wayne is definitely a diverse medical school, though some people take beef with a public school filling this many seats with non-residents. Hefty OOS pricetag definitely supports the "geographical diversity agenda" as well, lol. This information is from the school's website: http://www.year1.med.wayne.edu/2016/03-03a-diversity.pdf

Note that the numbers can change drastically from year to year. For example, last year there were over 20 students from Canada in the class and this year less than 10. As a public school there will always be outside factors influencing these quotas as well as internal goals. Let alone the differences in the applicant pool. Just keep that in mind. The school has been focusing significantly more effort into recruiting applicants from OOS since they believe (from what Admissions told me) they are capturing the entire Michigan applicant pool each cycle (based on the numbers other schools in the state are reporting). Even this year I believe they had a 7% increase in applicants from last year, and those "new" applicants probably mostly came from OOS.

Last edited:
Anyone have any thoughts on Wayne vs. MSU CHM ?

Anyone know if there will be admissions decisions anytime soon?

The admissions office told me that they're still sending out interview invitations for this cycle (as of today Feb 3rd), but haven't decided how many more to extend. I do know that they plan to conduct approximately 1,000 IIs total this year. Really hoping for an II here!

The admissions office told me that they're still sending out interview invitations for this cycle (as of today Feb 3rd), but haven't decided how many more to extend. I do know that they plan to conduct approximately 1,000 IIs total this year. Really hoping for an II here!
Same, Antibody - same.

I do hope you get your II, but my question was regarding post-interview decisions. Anyone know?

I do hope you get your II, but my question was regarding post-interview decisions. Anyone know?
I'd like to know when the next release date is for acceptances too. Usually recent interviewees respond with that information. Not that it matters too much anyways. If we get accepted, we get accepted.

Tracker updated...already 328 acceptances out with 954 interviews requested. Not making me feel great about wailist movement..

Is 954 the number of interview invites sent out as of today, or is that the number of interview invites that they will be offering in total?