2016-2017 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow really? I got the impression that my interviewer was seeing my file for the first time during my interview, they spent the majority of the time looking down at my application reading it and really didn't ask me many good questions that allowed me to show them who I am beyond my application. I was pretty upset about it afterwards. It worries me a lot that there can be this much discrepancy between interviewers. I don't know what to make of this....

Mine had my file open and reading it during but had annotated it and said she read through it multiple times. She definitely showed she knew a lot about me but more asked me to fill in gaps or explain things further

Members don't see this ad.

Wow really? I got the impression that my interviewer was seeing my file for the first time during my interview, they spent the majority of the time looking down at my application reading it and really didn't ask me many good questions that allowed me to show them who I am beyond my application. I was pretty upset about it afterwards. It worries me a lot that there can be this much discrepancy between interviewers. I don't know what to make of this....
I think you're making a lot of assumptions. They had your file for a week. Probably not the best look to accuse them of not having read it. My interviewer read mine and knew it well. I think what varies is how much interest they have in different applications

I think you're making a lot of assumptions. They had your file for a week. Probably not the best look to accuse them of not having read it. My interviewer read mine and knew it well. I think what varies is how much interest they have in different applications

Please relax. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I'm not making assumptions. I simply said I got that impression from my interviewer. That's it. She was a nice woman, but I honestly felt that there was not much discussion going on, it was a lot of silence and surface level questions. WSUSOM is my top choice - it is a truly, truly amazing school. I was hoping to have the opportunity to speak more on what I am passionate about, so they could have a better understanding of how I will contribute to their school. Maybe I was expecting too much! Maybe she felt like she knew my application well enough that she did not need to ask many questions, I don't know.

However, It sounds like you are implying that my interviewer did not know my application because they weren't interested in it, and that is a very rude thing to say. I'm honestly happy for you that your interviewer knew your application well. I was not aware they had my file for a week. I apologize if I insulted you in some way, that was not my intent...

Members don't see this ad :)

That doesn't sound good, I'm sorry about your experience. My interviewer was pretty chill and we talked sports, religion, personal stories, in addition to their regular questions. Interviewers are different personalitites for sure. This is why they started having MMIs and hopefully you did well in those.

Anyone know if there are any interview dates left? My portal has been stuck at "Med school in for review (MR)" since July 20. ahhh

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know if there are any interview dates left? My portal has been stuck at "Med school in for review (MR)" since July 20. ahhh

I scheduled to interview Feb 13 just a couple days ago so there are still interview dates left. I can't check the other dates without cancelling my interview, but I was complete late July as well so don't lose hope.

Reactions: 2 users
On the plus side, they didn't say no. We still have hope! Contrary to what I've read on here, admissions told me that they do/already have rejected students they've interviewed.

I wonder how many people total get waitlisted though. It's got to be at least in the dozens, if not more than a hundred...

Hey guys, thought I'd share some good news for those of you considering/attending Wayne from out of state. The school announced they are lowering OOS tuition by 13.3% for this year's incoming class so that it's in line with the national average. The hefty OOS tuition has always been one of my biggest complaints about Wayne, so I'm happy to see some significant improvement on that front. I'm not sure what this means for international students: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...tuition-incoming-state-med-students/97159314/

Last edited:
I wonder how many people total get waitlisted though. It's got to be at least in the dozens, if not more than a hundred...

Without a doubt hundreds are on the waitlist. On the plus side Wayne truly does have an active waitlist. I even have friends last cycle who were waitlisted in October and November who got off the waitlist in May. Anecdotally, seems like 20% of the students from last cycle I talk to came off the waitlist (including myself) - it definitely is a large portion of the school as accepted students accept other offers (I'm sure lowering the tuition will help the school's matriculation rate among other improvements they've made). One friend had a week of class at another medical school, got off the waitlist and transferred. You never know.

They're interviewing a 1,000 applicants and a vast majority of them not out-right accepted will be placed on this list. It's a weighted list so there are people placed on the list who will most assuredly be accepted and others who have a slim chance and probably (maybe?) would have benefited from an immediate rejection. It's true people don't like to share their rejections so forums and word of mouth are poor ways to sample the numbers, but there should be hundreds of rejections out there right now if Wayne was proactively rejecting. Otherwise, and what I saw the school do last cycle, Wayne put nearly everyone not accepted on the waitlist during interview season and then sent out rejections to the less qualified come April/May.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the website, internationals are considered OOS for tuition purposes so I assume it will be the same for us. Any news on the curriculum?

It appears that the big transition from subject-based to systems-based is not occurring for the incoming class and won't happen until the graduating class of 2022 or maybe even 2023. Honestly that's a good thing since you don't want to be the first class of a major curriculum overhaul. Even if curriculum changes while you're a student here, you will still complete a subject-based education for both M1 and M2 years since you can't transition halfway through.

Small curriculum changes like editing of content, clinical interactions, more problem-based and team-based learning will be implemented, but the big overhaul being discussed has been delayed.

Hey guys, thought I'd share some good news for those of you considering/attending Wayne from out of state. The school announced they are lowering OOS tuition by 13.3% for this year's incoming class so that it's in line with the national average. The hefty OOS tuition has always been one of my biggest complaints about Wayne, so I'm happy to see some significant improvement on that front. I'm not sure what this means for international students: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...tuition-incoming-state-med-students/97159314/

I had the WORST WEEK, but this made my day lol! I hope it gets approved :p
Thanks so much for pointing that out!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone after my interview this week I thought I'd give some general tips for the MMI.

First off relax I know interviews are always nerve wracking but try to remember that you've made it this far. The admissions committee already likes you and now they just want to see the qualities that you demonstrated in your application in person. Second listen to the question carefully before answering it and lastly try to think of the best answer and say it in the fastest and clearest way possible. Since time is of the essence you want to explain your thought process and get to the point quickly .

For those who were accepted, how soon after the e-mail did you receive the letter in the mail?

So when is this admissions tracker going to be updated...

Reactions: 4 users
So when is this admissions tracker going to be updated...

I'd call the admissions office and let them know that the admissions tracker has not been updated in at least 3 months. Wayne's website is only a year old and admins now have it pretty bad with updating everything on it.

I'm sure a nudge would have the tracker added to their to-do list.

Please relax. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and I'm not making assumptions. I simply said I got that impression from my interviewer. That's it. She was a nice woman, but I honestly felt that there was not much discussion going on, it was a lot of silence and surface level questions. WSUSOM is my top choice - it is a truly, truly amazing school. I was hoping to have the opportunity to speak more on what I am passionate about, so they could have a better understanding of how I will contribute to their school. Maybe I was expecting too much! Maybe she felt like she knew my application well enough that she did not need to ask many questions, I don't know.

However, It sounds like you are implying that my interviewer did not know my application because they weren't interested in it, and that is a very rude thing to say. I'm honestly happy for you that your interviewer knew your application well. I was not aware they had my file for a week. I apologize if I insulted you in some way, that was not my intent...

Woah. Please relax? He didn't even say anything harsh. Just responded to what you said. If you came off how you do on here, makes sense there was silence.

Also surprised more people people aren't talking about Wayne reducing their tuition rates. That's huge.

Feeling Crushed. Called and spoke to admissions that told me that all invitations for interviews have been sent out. So disappointed.

Do you guys think since February is the last month for interviews that February interviewees will get decisions a little sooner than most of the cycle thus far? Wishful thinking :rolleyes:

If I'm interviewing in February do I have a lesser chance of getting in as opposed to someone who interviewed in August/September?

If I'm interviewing in February do I have a lesser chance of getting in as opposed to someone who interviewed in August/September?
No, despite what you hear. At Wayne, every interview invite is an equal chance because they waitlist everyone until their interviews are over and then make the tough decisions. I was on the waitlist from October until the end of May last year. I also know several people in our class that got in 2 weeks before white coat. You have a great shot.

Woah. Please relax? He didn't even say anything harsh. Just responded to what you said. If you came off how you do on here, makes sense there was silence.

Also surprised more people people aren't talking about Wayne reducing their tuition rates. That's huge.
Yeah, that response wasn't even worth it to me to respond. Clearly that interviewee is really invested in believing their interview performance was entirely dependent on their interviewer.

Sorry, but I call BS on that. My interviewer knew my application but his questions were about as straightforward/surface level as they come. What made the interview really great was being able to connect and really use the questions to highlight my fit for Wayne. I assume the interviewers use simple questions to give you the most room to talk about what you think is important yourself. I used them as such. I guess I could see how that might be hard for some people to do though.

To your other point, I am really excited about Wayne bringing their OOS tuition down. Being able to take cost out of the equation is really going to allow me to consider the merits of each school rather than just which school will cost less in the long run. I think they're right on the money about this being able to draw better/more qualified candidates to them as well.

Although this could lead to lower waitlist movement this cycle, I wouldn't worry about it too much. For those who were waitlisted recently, consider my situation: I interviewed October 8th, was "alternate listed" on November 2nd and was accepted December 2nd! No idea on this quick turn around time, but I heard from a current student that on decision day, Wayne likes to give some answer to all who interviewed that month even if a) their interviewers weren't there to discuss and b) they didn't get to your application. Don't lose hope- you might have a quick turn around time as well! February is just around the corner :)

If we haven't heard anything back yet, is it safe to assume it's a rejection?

If we haven't heard anything back yet, is it safe to assume it's a rejection?
If you haven't received an II yet, it does look like you've been rejected. They do snail mail pre-II rejections, supposedly so you'll get a letter probably soon.

However! If its post-II, then don't assume that!! There's been some speculation here that they reject post-II immediately, but that's probably for just the really off the wall candidates who they know they'll never accept. Likely no more than 1% of all interviewees. Whats more likely is you'll be waitlisted, which is not a death sentence at Wayne- almost everyone gets waitlisted and most acceptances are pulled from the waitlist.

Question for current students: how does Wayne feel about away rotations for your specialty in M3? Supportive/detracting/neutral?

Feeling Crushed. Called and spoke to admissions that told me that all invitations for interviews have been sent out. So disappointed.
+1. This sucks. I thought a 3.7/515 IS would get me an interview. I'm really at a loss given how many IIs they sent out...

+1. This sucks. I thought a 3.7/515 IS would get me an interview. I'm really at a loss given how many IIs they sent out...

I'm sorry. Did you have a strong personal statement and experiences section? Have you had clinical experiences, been involved with research, and volunteered? Despite what the consensus is on SDN sometimes, it isn't all about stats. I took 2 years off and still feel like I need more experience hah..

I'm sorry. Did you have a strong personal statement and experiences section? Have you had clinical experiences, been involved with research, and volunteered? Despite what the consensus is on SDN sometimes, it isn't all about stats. I took 2 years off and still feel like I need more experience hah..
I have 100+ hours of shadowing, 400+ of volunteering (100 of which are clinical), leadership experience in student orgs, and research experience.

IS as well, basically exact same stats, and just as confused as you are.

IS as well, basically exact same stats, and just as confused as you are.
I just called to confirm and the woman on the phone said they're sending interview invitations out until mid-February. So while we're not dead, time's almost out...

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I just called to confirm and the woman on the phone said they're sending interview invitations out until mid-February. So while we're dead, time's almost out...
you my friend are the real MVP. I'm OOS but love love Wayne! Stay positive fellow SDN friends!

Tracker updated...already 328 acceptances out with 954 interviews requested. Not making me feel great about wailist movement..

Tracker updated...already 328 acceptances out with 954 interviews requested. Not making me feel great about wailist movement..
I had called them earlier in the process and they told me 950-1000 interviews would be sent out. So hopefully those last ~46 go out to those of us here on SDN biting off what's left of our nails.

I'm in the same boat as you but for what it's worth, last year they offered 559 seats. Now I'm not sure if that includes waitlisted individuals or not, but 200+ offers are still available. How long have you been waitlisted for and when did you interview?

I'm in the same boat as you but for what it's worth, last year they offered 559 seats. Now I'm not sure if that includes waitlisted individuals or not, but 200+ offers are still available. How long have you been waitlisted for and when did you interview?

True. And I figure there are plenty of people who withdraw between their interview and an offer of acceptance by the end of the cycle. So in theory, the "acceptance number" is probably higher. Probably over 600. But I interviewed end of October, waitlisted first Monday of December.

Can someone confirm that Wayne does not accept any form of application updates?

Why wouldn't they? There is a link on the portal just for that purpose.
I emailed admissions months ago and was told twice that they do not accept any updates whatsoever!! Ahhhhh

I emailed admissions months ago and was told twice that they do not accept any updates whatsoever!! Ahhhhh

...and I emailed Wayne, following which they informed me that they did accept updates and referred me to use the online portal o_O .

I feel like this is a test, one we are all failing.

Oh god the horror. It's probably hopeless to update them now but I will do it anyway. THANKS GUYS :)

Anyone have any thoughts on when the next adcom meeting is??

Y'all shouldn't worry about it too much. Wayne isn't all about the stats. They pick for fit. With those stats, you will all the up somewhere great.